Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Have we covered white privilege man Laurence Fox? 19:34 - Jan 20 with 30153 viewsDubtractor

Obviously he is a bellend, but if anything defines privilege, it is that he was given a platform to perform on a national TV show when he has precisely nil musical talent. Nothing about his appearance is about talent, nothing whatsoever.

I should add, it is worth a listen to his performance to marvel at just how bad it is. It isn't even mediocre, its utterly awful.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/tv/video-lawrence-fox-performing-je
[Post edited 20 Jan 2020 19:58]

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Have we covered white privilege man Laurence Fox? on 18:13 - Jan 22 with 3782 viewslowhouseblue

Have we covered white privilege man Laurence Fox? on 18:04 - Jan 22 by Herbivore

What would you see as evidence that it is linked to race?

articles which were demonstrably racist?

criticism of her by itself doesn't prove racism.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Have we covered white privilege man Laurence Fox? on 18:13 - Jan 22 with 3780 viewsjeera

Have we covered white privilege man Laurence Fox? on 18:04 - Jan 22 by J2BLUE

I think for the vast majority it has nothing to do with racism. More that she is blamed for Harry going from fun prince to serious family man which is a bit odd when the majority of people become more serious as they go through life and get a family.

I don't think their preaching about the environment has done them any favours. Unlike Greta who refuses to get on a plane and sacrifices weeks of her young life going by boat to the US etc rather than flying they have chosen to continue making flights. Some of them unnecessary such as Harry to Japan for the rugby world cup final (I don't care about his ceremonial position within world rugby - we're being told it's a climate emergency, which clearly it is).

Overall I don't think any of us can judge a man for wanting the best for his wife and family. I am a big believer in your childhood shaping your life. This guy lost his mum early and had to attend her funeral in front of the world. Now he's terrified the press will cause Meghan to go the same way. I hope they find the peace they want and the media backs off.

"Overall I don't think any of us can judge a man for wanting the best for his wife and family. I am a big believer in your childhood shaping your life. This guy lost his mum early and had to attend her funeral in front of the world. Now he's terrified the press will cause Meghan to go the same way. I hope they find the peace they want and the media backs off."

I agree with every word of that too.

It doesn't make the rest irrelevant though, if anything it sets the scene.

Kate looks and acts the part. Meghan doesn't fit the bill.

It's perfectly understandable Harry wants her well away from it.

I do wish they' pay back some money, maybe directly to causes that counter their own spending on the taxpayer.

No problem with them backing-off. At all.

Pay back that which was taken as a privilege of the positions you want to give up.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Have we covered white privilege man Laurence Fox? on 18:20 - Jan 22 with 3765 viewsRyorry

Have we covered white privilege man Laurence Fox? on 17:28 - Jan 22 by GaryCooper

Agreed, he was the darling of the media, did a great deal of good for the profile of the RF, gets married and it all starts to disappear, the press will lose sales, this is the reason for the negativity.

Much more likely to do with now having baby Archie and not wanting Archie (+ any more future children they have) to grow up in the same spotlight & pursued by paparazzi as he, William & his mother were (ironically of course, the opposite is currently happening).

According to Harry's official biographer (I think it was in docu, or other official who watched him grow up from a tiny tot), Harry has *always* hated publicity, public exposure, being in the limelight etc, and has *always* wanted to retreat into a much more private life. I don't think any of us are in a position to contradict that tbh.
[Post edited 22 Jan 2020 18:23]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Have we covered white privilege man Laurence Fox? on 18:23 - Jan 22 with 3760 viewslowhouseblue

Have we covered white privilege man Laurence Fox? on 18:13 - Jan 22 by jeera

"Overall I don't think any of us can judge a man for wanting the best for his wife and family. I am a big believer in your childhood shaping your life. This guy lost his mum early and had to attend her funeral in front of the world. Now he's terrified the press will cause Meghan to go the same way. I hope they find the peace they want and the media backs off."

I agree with every word of that too.

It doesn't make the rest irrelevant though, if anything it sets the scene.

Kate looks and acts the part. Meghan doesn't fit the bill.

It's perfectly understandable Harry wants her well away from it.

I do wish they' pay back some money, maybe directly to causes that counter their own spending on the taxpayer.

No problem with them backing-off. At all.

Pay back that which was taken as a privilege of the positions you want to give up.

meghan doesn't fit the bill because she's clearly not prepared to accept all the restrictions which come with the role. the role is fairly de-humanising and must be intellectually crippling. that kate accepts all that isn't necessarily to her credit, that meghan clearly rejects it is probably a plus for her. i don't quite understand why she didn't know what she was signing up for, but i guess you don't know how bad it is until you try.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Have we covered white privilege man Laurence Fox? on 18:27 - Jan 22 with 3743 viewsLord_Lucan

Have we covered white privilege man Laurence Fox? on 18:23 - Jan 22 by lowhouseblue

meghan doesn't fit the bill because she's clearly not prepared to accept all the restrictions which come with the role. the role is fairly de-humanising and must be intellectually crippling. that kate accepts all that isn't necessarily to her credit, that meghan clearly rejects it is probably a plus for her. i don't quite understand why she didn't know what she was signing up for, but i guess you don't know how bad it is until you try.

You have a point here, the scrutiny is amazing and being a Yank she would not have appreciated to how much. Little things like putting your hands in a pocket at the wrong time or saying "Kiss me" in public.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Have we covered white privilege man Laurence Fox? on 18:33 - Jan 22 with 3729 viewsHerbivore

Have we covered white privilege man Laurence Fox? on 18:13 - Jan 22 by lowhouseblue

articles which were demonstrably racist?

criticism of her by itself doesn't prove racism.

Hmmm. It's interesting that when it comes to antisemitism you are a firm advocate of the views of Jewish people on what constitutes antisemitism being respected, and yet when people of colour are saying that the treatment of Meghan is racist it is you rather than them that gets to define what racism looks like.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Have we covered white privilege man Laurence Fox? on 18:38 - Jan 22 with 3708 viewsgazzer1999

Have we covered white privilege man Laurence Fox? on 23:38 - Jan 20 by jeera

Well, quite.

Though I'm not sure 'learn' is the right word, he came across as hard nosed and self-righteous. I'm sure he knows, he just doesn't give a feck.

A bit of a ***t frankly.

Sounds like one or two on this forum.
Have we covered white privilege man Laurence Fox? on 18:39 - Jan 22 with 3705 viewslowhouseblue

Have we covered white privilege man Laurence Fox? on 18:33 - Jan 22 by Herbivore

Hmmm. It's interesting that when it comes to antisemitism you are a firm advocate of the views of Jewish people on what constitutes antisemitism being respected, and yet when people of colour are saying that the treatment of Meghan is racist it is you rather than them that gets to define what racism looks like.

no i'm always one for evidence. the people who have reported anti-semitism in the labour party have provided a mass of evidence - tweets, articles, videos, posts etc etc. on here we have repeatedly pored over that evidence - discussing the meaning of words, trying to work out who was standing where in videos, comparing pieces of art work etc. it's all been about the evidence.

so if there's evidence of the press being racist as opposed to being critical let's see it.

Login to get fewer ads

Have we covered white privilege man Laurence Fox? on 18:40 - Jan 22 with 3699 viewsjeera

Have we covered white privilege man Laurence Fox? on 18:38 - Jan 22 by gazzer1999

Sounds like one or two on this forum.

Don't be hard on yourself mate.

It's only a conversation.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Have we covered white privilege man Laurence Fox? on 18:41 - Jan 22 with 3694 viewsHerbivore

Have we covered white privilege man Laurence Fox? on 18:39 - Jan 22 by lowhouseblue

no i'm always one for evidence. the people who have reported anti-semitism in the labour party have provided a mass of evidence - tweets, articles, videos, posts etc etc. on here we have repeatedly pored over that evidence - discussing the meaning of words, trying to work out who was standing where in videos, comparing pieces of art work etc. it's all been about the evidence.

so if there's evidence of the press being racist as opposed to being critical let's see it.

That's just not true.

Have we covered white privilege man Laurence Fox? on 18:44 - Jan 22 with 3684 viewslowhouseblue

Have we covered white privilege man Laurence Fox? on 18:41 - Jan 22 by Herbivore

That's just not true.

we seem to be heading off at a tangent. so i'm guessing there isn't actual evidence of the press being racist?

Have we covered white privilege man Laurence Fox? on 18:49 - Jan 22 with 3668 viewsHerbivore

Have we covered white privilege man Laurence Fox? on 18:44 - Jan 22 by lowhouseblue

we seem to be heading off at a tangent. so i'm guessing there isn't actual evidence of the press being racist?

When there was that poll that suggested a majority of British Jews saw Corbyn as an existential threat I don't recall you asking to see an internal memo from Corbyn proposing the extermination of British Jews. I recall you saying their view should be respected. I am not sure why when people of colour have suggested the press has shown racial prejudice towards Meghan you don't think their views should be respected and have set yourself a high evidentiary standard in order to accept their charge of racism.

Have we covered white privilege man Laurence Fox? on 18:54 - Jan 22 with 3659 viewslowhouseblue

Have we covered white privilege man Laurence Fox? on 18:49 - Jan 22 by Herbivore

When there was that poll that suggested a majority of British Jews saw Corbyn as an existential threat I don't recall you asking to see an internal memo from Corbyn proposing the extermination of British Jews. I recall you saying their view should be respected. I am not sure why when people of colour have suggested the press has shown racial prejudice towards Meghan you don't think their views should be respected and have set yourself a high evidentiary standard in order to accept their charge of racism.

lots of evidence of anti-semitism has been covered on here - it has been disected, denied and disputed. the views expressed by the jewish community were clearly backed up by a host of practical examples. the ehrc investigation is looking at those examples - it's not just conducting an opinion poll.

so back to the thread - what actual evidence is there of the press being racist to meghan as opposed to them being critical of meghan?

Have we covered white privilege man Laurence Fox? on 18:56 - Jan 22 with 3649 viewsgordon

Have we covered white privilege man Laurence Fox? on 18:54 - Jan 22 by lowhouseblue

lots of evidence of anti-semitism has been covered on here - it has been disected, denied and disputed. the views expressed by the jewish community were clearly backed up by a host of practical examples. the ehrc investigation is looking at those examples - it's not just conducting an opinion poll.

so back to the thread - what actual evidence is there of the press being racist to meghan as opposed to them being critical of meghan?

Her Baby was called a Chimpanzee.
Have we covered white privilege man Laurence Fox? on 18:58 - Jan 22 with 3643 viewslowhouseblue

Have we covered white privilege man Laurence Fox? on 18:56 - Jan 22 by gordon

Her Baby was called a Chimpanzee.

yes by a twit on social media. social media is a cesspit. it was not published by the press.

Have we covered white privilege man Laurence Fox? on 18:59 - Jan 22 with 3635 viewsHerbivore

Have we covered white privilege man Laurence Fox? on 18:54 - Jan 22 by lowhouseblue

Can you show me evidence that Corbyn poses an existential threat to Jewish people. I need to see hard evidence of him directly posing an existential threat as opposed to just people thinking he poses an existential threat. Or maybe we can both accept that people affected by racism might be better placed to speak to that experience.

I posted this article earlier: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jan/17/minority-ethnic-britons-face-shock

Do you think that constitutes racial prejudice? Or is the lack of a letter from the prospective employers saying "No ethnics allowed" making you question whether there really is racial prejudice going on?

You can do some mental gymnastics to explain away your picking and choosing who gets to define feeling they are a victim of racial prejudice, but it's all pretty transparent to be honest.

Have we covered white privilege man Laurence Fox? on 19:02 - Jan 22 with 3625 viewseireblue

Have we covered white privilege man Laurence Fox? on 17:24 - Jan 22 by itfcjoe

I just don't see it's race at all - far more likely because she is a Yank and seems to have given Harry a personality transplant

Precisely.

Discrimination against a person, because of their nationality is racist.

How much of Harry’s personality do you actually have insight into, other than what is exposed via the media?
Have we covered white privilege man Laurence Fox? on 19:05 - Jan 22 with 3613 viewslowhouseblue

Have we covered white privilege man Laurence Fox? on 18:59 - Jan 22 by Herbivore

Can you show me evidence that Corbyn poses an existential threat to Jewish people. I need to see hard evidence of him directly posing an existential threat as opposed to just people thinking he poses an existential threat. Or maybe we can both accept that people affected by racism might be better placed to speak to that experience.

I posted this article earlier: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jan/17/minority-ethnic-britons-face-shock

Do you think that constitutes racial prejudice? Or is the lack of a letter from the prospective employers saying "No ethnics allowed" making you question whether there really is racial prejudice going on?

You can do some mental gymnastics to explain away your picking and choosing who gets to define feeling they are a victim of racial prejudice, but it's all pretty transparent to be honest.

i'm not doing corbyn and anti-semitism on this thread.

do you have any evidence you can link of the press, as opposed to social media, reporting meghan in a racist manner? being critical of her is not in itself the same thing. i am genuinely interested to see evidence if there is any.

otherwise let's leave this here.

Have we covered white privilege man Laurence Fox? on 19:05 - Jan 22 with 3606 viewsgordon

Have we covered white privilege man Laurence Fox? on 18:58 - Jan 22 by lowhouseblue

yes by a twit on social media. social media is a cesspit. it was not published by the press.

Are you saying that Danny Baker wasn't part of the press??
Have we covered white privilege man Laurence Fox? on 19:11 - Jan 22 with 3592 viewsHerbivore

Have we covered white privilege man Laurence Fox? on 19:05 - Jan 22 by lowhouseblue

i'm not doing corbyn and anti-semitism on this thread.

do you have any evidence you can link of the press, as opposed to social media, reporting meghan in a racist manner? being critical of her is not in itself the same thing. i am genuinely interested to see evidence if there is any.

otherwise let's leave this here.

It's her overall treatment in the press, esepcially when compared to Kate, that makes people question whether there is an element of racial prejudice. Many people of colour believe that to be the case and have said as such. You feel you are as well placed as them to say otherwise. I disagree.

Let's leave it there though, we're clearly not going to agree.

Have we covered white privilege man Laurence Fox? on 19:14 - Jan 22 with 3586 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Have we covered white privilege man Laurence Fox? on 17:51 - Jan 22 by Herbivore

You're basically spouting a lot of the unevidenced press attack lines there.

I know people like to think racial prejudice doesn't really exist anymore, especially in good old Blighty, but that just isn't the case. Have a look at this for example: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jan/17/minority-ethnic-britons-face-shock

Sadly racial prejudice is still pretty deeply ingrained in many people's psyche in the UK. That's why plenty of people think there's a degree of racial prejudice in how Meghan gets treated in the press.
[Post edited 22 Jan 2020 17:59]

Or ..... you are making the evidence fit your hypothesis.... is that at least a possibility?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Have we covered white privilege man Laurence Fox? on 19:18 - Jan 22 with 3573 viewsHerbivore

Have we covered white privilege man Laurence Fox? on 19:14 - Jan 22 by BanksterDebtSlave

Or ..... you are making the evidence fit your hypothesis.... is that at least a possibility?

What evidence fit what hypothesis? I don't have a particular hypothesis, I'm just disagreeing with a bunch of white guys dismissing the possibility of racial prejudice in the press towards Meghan esepcially when people who have been on the receiving end of racial prejudice believe it to be the case. Clearly there looks to be a media bias against Meghan and I've not seen a good account of why on here as yet, just people parroting the press attack lines.

Have we covered white privilege man Laurence Fox? on 19:19 - Jan 22 with 3573 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Have we covered white privilege man Laurence Fox? on 18:33 - Jan 22 by Herbivore

Has Meghan said her treatment is racist?

Have we covered white privilege man Laurence Fox? on 19:20 - Jan 22 with 3568 viewsHerbivore

Have we covered white privilege man Laurence Fox? on 19:19 - Jan 22 by BanksterDebtSlave

Has Meghan said her treatment is racist?

Not publicly. Other people of colour have expressed a view that they think her race is a factor in how she's treated by the press. I think it's a view that most of us aren't in a place to flippantly dismiss.

Have we covered white privilege man Laurence Fox? on 19:21 - Jan 22 with 3568 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

You forgot the words 'some of' before 'Jewish community.'

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024