Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This virus 18:36 - Jan 24 with 9654 viewsjeera

China's response is not much short of remarkable really.

I mean, they don't mess about. Entire cities under quarantine.

A hospital being built from scratch with work having just begun today with an aim for completion by Monday.

It's a serious subject, but you have to acknowledge* their drive to get things done.

*Edited for clarity and to stop those hard of thinking from taking cheap shots.

[Post edited 27 Jan 2020 3:33]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

This virus on 09:53 - Jan 26 with 3413 viewsElephantintheRoom

Indeed. But are they being as diligent with what actually caused this outbreak... 'wet markets' and the nation's obsession with eating what most countries find unspeakable.

A slightly more realistic apparaisal of their extraordinary efforts is that they need these hospitals because the true number of cases is probably utterly horrendous. Or could be.

But as has been pointed out before it's largely hysteria and what might be. Flu is a far greater killer every year.... 12,000 in the UK every year.... lord knows how many in secretive places ike china.... and nobody cares one iota.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

This virus on 11:36 - Jan 26 with 3388 viewsTerra_Farma

It seems to me that all these potential pandemics come from China.

Why the fook would you eat bats, especially when Chinese takeaway is banging?!!!
This virus on 11:51 - Jan 26 with 3376 viewsGaryCooper

Yep their construction of coal fired power stations is a joy for the world.
This virus on 11:54 - Jan 26 with 3371 viewsGaryCooper

This virus on 19:10 - Jan 24 by TractorWood

Agree. Their mortality rates and disclosures should be taken with a huge smattering of salt too.

Or MSG.
This virus on 11:56 - Jan 26 with 3365 viewsStokieBlue

This virus on 09:53 - Jan 26 by ElephantintheRoom

Indeed. But are they being as diligent with what actually caused this outbreak... 'wet markets' and the nation's obsession with eating what most countries find unspeakable.

A slightly more realistic apparaisal of their extraordinary efforts is that they need these hospitals because the true number of cases is probably utterly horrendous. Or could be.

But as has been pointed out before it's largely hysteria and what might be. Flu is a far greater killer every year.... 12,000 in the UK every year.... lord knows how many in secretive places ike china.... and nobody cares one iota.

You flu point is only semi-valid. Flu is a known quantity, it's mutation rates and processes are understood. It can be horrific as the the Spanish flu but in general it is a known quantity that unfortunately kills specific individuals with underlying conditions.

The issue here is that it's an RNA virus which can mutate very quickly into things which might be much worse. The more it spreads the more chance their is of the random mutation which makes it horrific.

You are almost certainly right about China hiding/not really knowing the true number of cases - most analysts think it's at least 10 times as many as they are saying, maybe even more than that.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

This virus on 12:43 - Jan 26 with 3335 viewsgiant_stow

This virus on 11:56 - Jan 26 by StokieBlue

You flu point is only semi-valid. Flu is a known quantity, it's mutation rates and processes are understood. It can be horrific as the the Spanish flu but in general it is a known quantity that unfortunately kills specific individuals with underlying conditions.

The issue here is that it's an RNA virus which can mutate very quickly into things which might be much worse. The more it spreads the more chance their is of the random mutation which makes it horrific.

You are almost certainly right about China hiding/not really knowing the true number of cases - most analysts think it's at least 10 times as many as they are saying, maybe even more than that.

SB

Story on the beeb about how its infectious before symptons show: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-51254523

Order in tinned goods and bottled water time?
[Post edited 26 Jan 2020 12:50]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

This virus on 13:00 - Jan 26 with 3300 viewsGlasgowBlue

This virus on 12:43 - Jan 26 by giant_stow

Story on the beeb about how its infectious before symptons show: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-51254523

Order in tinned goods and bottled water time?
[Post edited 26 Jan 2020 12:50]

Hasn't everyone already done that for when we leave the EU next week?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

This virus on 13:35 - Jan 26 with 3306 viewsGaryCooper

This virus on 13:00 - Jan 26 by GlasgowBlue

Hasn't everyone already done that for when we leave the EU next week?

Only the gullible, have you not noticed the shortage of Avocados and Quinoa?
Login to get fewer ads

This virus on 14:16 - Jan 26 with 3292 viewsTrequartista

This virus on 18:53 - Jan 24 by GeoffSentence

I believe that I would choose no bypass over an authoritarian government able to get things done every day of the week.

We could have an authoritarian transport minister and a liberal chancellor, mix it up a bit. Those autobahns didn't build themselves.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

This virus on 23:36 - Jan 26 with 3200 viewsjeera

This virus on 11:51 - Jan 26 by GaryCooper

Yep their construction of coal fired power stations is a joy for the world.

All I meant was they have taken drastic measures over the past few days, implementing them on a massive scale.

It's not there to be disputed - it's happened.

Why some people have to jump on everything to make non-points here I've no idea.

It's not praise for China per se. Blimey.

This virus on 23:45 - Jan 26 with 3188 viewsjeera

This virus on 08:55 - Jan 25 by StokieBlue

On the virus itself, you are correct it's a new strain which probably mutated from snakes or bats. RNA viruses have a high mutation rate so a vaccine will likely be a while coming. I wouldn't say it's unforeseen, experts have been saying it will happen since SARS but because of the virus mutations you can't even start on a vaccine until it comes along. The worry is 2-fold: a mutation to make human-to-human transfer easier and a mutation which shifts the mortality from killing people who already have an underlying condition to killing healthy people (like what happened with the Spanish flu).

I think we also need to look at the numbers here. They are claiming there are 1200 cases worldwide now (48 hours after the hospital announcement) yet they need 1000 dedicated beds in just Wuhan by Monday? 100m people in lockdown for 1200 cases? Something doesn't stack up at all. China tried to cover up SARS, lets hope they are being more honest this time (I think they are).

With regards to building speed, it's linked to human rights though. It's easier to build things when you can just seize someones property because you want the land, use prisoners to do the manual labour or care little for the environmental cost of what is being built.

You are right though - they are very quick and it's very, very impressive. You really can't compare it to HS2 though - it would be like the UK government kicking everyone out of their houses on the route without any recourse. When they built the 3 gorges damn they displaced 1.3m people from their homes with no recourse including a single city of 600,000 people. It also lead directly to the extinction of the magnificent Chinese paddlefish which wasn't even considered during the construction:

SB

Advanced in so many ways, yet so behind in others.

I've never been to China but it was clear in India that just a few laws regarding Health and Safety - maybe some clear labelling for example, might go some way to saving many health issues, education on food contamination...

I saw something on the demand for fresh meat in China; fresh being as opposed to chilled or frozen, meaning bacteria can have field day before consumption.

You have to wonder if they want to save the poorest or if they're ok to see the numbers diminish any way possible.
[Post edited 26 Jan 2020 23:46]

This virus on 07:07 - Jan 27 with 3135 viewsStokieBlue

This virus on 23:45 - Jan 26 by jeera

Advanced in so many ways, yet so behind in others.

I've never been to China but it was clear in India that just a few laws regarding Health and Safety - maybe some clear labelling for example, might go some way to saving many health issues, education on food contamination...

I saw something on the demand for fresh meat in China; fresh being as opposed to chilled or frozen, meaning bacteria can have field day before consumption.

You have to wonder if they want to save the poorest or if they're ok to see the numbers diminish any way possible.
[Post edited 26 Jan 2020 23:46]

I think China will have to ban wet markets. They eat a lot more variety of animals than any other country and having them alive, slaughtered and sold on the actual stand is asking for trouble. They will likely have to bring in a more segregated approach where the animals aren't alive in the market stands.

Death toll has jumped overnight to 80 plus 400+ critical. It seems some more realistic figures are being released. Imperial College are saying they think it's closer to 100,000 infected in just the Wuhan area rather than the claimed 2000 globally.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/jan/26/coronavirus-could-infect-100000-

The deaths in Beijing are a real concern, might mean the quarantine hasn't worked.

SB
[Post edited 27 Jan 2020 9:37]

This virus on 08:58 - Jan 31 with 3024 viewsStokieBlue

Morning Jeera.

Thought you might be interested in this:

SB

This virus on 09:01 - Jan 31 with 3020 viewsLord_Lucan

This virus on 07:07 - Jan 27 by StokieBlue

I think China will have to ban wet markets. They eat a lot more variety of animals than any other country and having them alive, slaughtered and sold on the actual stand is asking for trouble. They will likely have to bring in a more segregated approach where the animals aren't alive in the market stands.

Death toll has jumped overnight to 80 plus 400+ critical. It seems some more realistic figures are being released. Imperial College are saying they think it's closer to 100,000 infected in just the Wuhan area rather than the claimed 2000 globally.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/jan/26/coronavirus-could-infect-100000-

The deaths in Beijing are a real concern, might mean the quarantine hasn't worked.

SB
[Post edited 27 Jan 2020 9:37]

The virus is nowhere near as bad as SARS. SARS killed one in ten of those infected, Coronavirus has from the last time I checked killed about 140 from 7,700 infected.

Still a massive concern but they will manage it.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

This virus on 09:20 - Jan 31 with 3012 viewschicoazul

This virus on 18:47 - Jan 24 by Ftnfwest

Amazing what you can achieve with a billion peasants

I think China hugely overstates its' population, but your sentiment is right.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

This virus on 09:22 - Jan 31 with 3010 viewsSwansea_Blue

This virus on 18:40 - Jan 24 by Guthrum

Tho, on the other hand, they also spent several weeks claiming the virus was a minor problem and nothing worth worrying about. Until it became too obvious that the reverse was the case.

And presumably hiding the numbers. You don't quarantine a whole city if the infection rates are no different to normal viruses, as was originally claimed.

(edit - I've seen SB's post now - agreed, something doesn't add up to me either).
[Post edited 31 Jan 2020 9:24]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

This virus on 09:38 - Jan 31 with 2987 viewsStokieBlue

This virus on 09:01 - Jan 31 by Lord_Lucan

The virus is nowhere near as bad as SARS. SARS killed one in ten of those infected, Coronavirus has from the last time I checked killed about 140 from 7,700 infected.

Still a massive concern but they will manage it.

That's if you believe the official Chinese figures. Most experts outside the country put the infection rate at about 150,000 to 200,000 now. Why build hospitals with thousands of beds if it's not many cases and why quarantine hundreds of millions of people.

You are entirely correct that the mortality rate isn't as high as SARS at the moment but SARS only had 8000 cases over about a year - this has been a month. With that much of the virus in humans it has far more scope to mutate and become deadlier.

I think they are doing a good job in managing the spread, the worry is transparency and any mutations which make human-to-human transfer easier.

SB

This virus on 17:16 - Jan 31 with 2951 viewsTerra_Farma

This virus on 08:58 - Jan 31 by StokieBlue

Morning Jeera.

Thought you might be interested in this:

SB

Why go through the expense of building hospitals when all you need to do is to stop people from eating weird stuff ?!!

Honestly, some of the things I have seen the Chinese eat makes me wonder if they have any decent takeaways.

Build 5,000 takeaways maybe to stop the local inhabitants eating Bats, baby mice etc. etc. ???
This virus on 17:35 - Jan 31 with 2938 viewsjeera

This virus on 09:20 - Jan 31 by chicoazul

I think China hugely overstates its' population, but your sentiment is right.

But that wording conjures up images of thousands of loin cloth, straw hat wearing peasants dragging and building large rocks stonehenge style.

There doesn't seem to be too many peasants involved in that construction video.

Those guys wearing the hard hats seem to know what they're doing, almost like it's their job.

Cheers Stokie for the vid. Interesting stuff yes.

Edit: Chickers: please drop the apostrophe on the possessive "its".

I know you're not alone but It does my head in.
[Post edited 31 Jan 2020 18:02]

This virus on 17:45 - Jan 31 with 2931 viewsgiant_stow

This virus on 17:16 - Jan 31 by Terra_Farma

Why go through the expense of building hospitals when all you need to do is to stop people from eating weird stuff ?!!

Honestly, some of the things I have seen the Chinese eat makes me wonder if they have any decent takeaways.

Build 5,000 takeaways maybe to stop the local inhabitants eating Bats, baby mice etc. etc. ???

You remind me of Prince Philip's racist gag about what the Chinese eat, which sorry to say, I found funny.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

This virus on 17:56 - Jan 31 with 2925 viewsjeera

This virus on 17:45 - Jan 31 by giant_stow

You remind me of Prince Philip's racist gag about what the Chinese eat, which sorry to say, I found funny.

Although if we ate more of our rodents; i.e pigeons, we wouldn't be so overrun with them and it would take some pressure off other live foodstuff. And rabbits of course.

I'm not sure it's necessarily the items they eat, but the conditions that either the meat is kept under and of course the choice in picking animals that are themselves disease ridden given the conditions they may live under.

I'd be more cautious of eating a city pigeon than one that has spent its time wandering around the countryside and raiding my feeding table for example.

Slosh some sweet and sour over the top, add noodles and *insert Chinese name here*' is your uncle.

This virus on 18:00 - Jan 31 with 2923 viewsgiant_stow

This virus on 17:56 - Jan 31 by jeera

Although if we ate more of our rodents; i.e pigeons, we wouldn't be so overrun with them and it would take some pressure off other live foodstuff. And rabbits of course.

I'm not sure it's necessarily the items they eat, but the conditions that either the meat is kept under and of course the choice in picking animals that are themselves disease ridden given the conditions they may live under.

I'd be more cautious of eating a city pigeon than one that has spent its time wandering around the countryside and raiding my feeding table for example.

Slosh some sweet and sour over the top, add noodles and *insert Chinese name here*' is your uncle.

Yes that-s fair. I gather squirrels are alright to eat and very eco, especially the grey ones. I might have mentioned this before..

This virus on 18:05 - Jan 31 with 2919 viewsjeera

This virus on 18:00 - Jan 31 by giant_stow

Yes that-s fair. I gather squirrels are alright to eat and very eco, especially the grey ones. I might have mentioned this before..

All American, invasive non-indigenous creatures are fair game.

See crayfish, bison...

This virus on 18:10 - Jan 31 with 2906 viewshampstead_blue

They are very good at building stuff.....like that re-education camp.

They are not a power for good at all. The virus, as discussed on R4, was potentially due to live animals at markets. Apparently the chinese like this as it's a better flavour!

Very poor, if any, animal and food safety or care.

Nature has a way you know. China might have to buck it's ideas. Nature might just be giving them a kick up the backside.

I'm not saying it's a good idea, before you pile in, it's just another view.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

This virus on 19:21 - Jan 31 with 2889 viewsjeera

This virus on 18:10 - Jan 31 by hampstead_blue

They are very good at building stuff.....like that re-education camp.

They are not a power for good at all. The virus, as discussed on R4, was potentially due to live animals at markets. Apparently the chinese like this as it's a better flavour!

Very poor, if any, animal and food safety or care.

Nature has a way you know. China might have to buck it's ideas. Nature might just be giving them a kick up the backside.

I'm not saying it's a good idea, before you pile in, it's just another view.

It's not that, it's just another irrelevant comment on this thread.

I didn't mention nor ask what they're no good at; I already know.

It's weird how people keep dropping by to comment on what we already know with no interest in the OP whatsoever.

If everyone had seen the pictures I was relating to - which I should have included, now I can see, but assumed all and sundry were already familiar with - there wouldn't have been any intrusions.

There was popular footage a week ago of dozens of construction machines working together hurriedly like a nest of organised ants - incredible.

That's it. That's all. They don't mess about -no hidden meaning, nothing more.

What I should have posted is 'look at all those shiny machines - they look like toys at work'.
[Post edited 31 Jan 2020 19:25]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024