Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is it wrong to support a second side? 08:24 - Feb 5 with 7565 viewsPippin1970

Ipswich will always be my team and go to away games in the north. Morecambe I've adopted as my local side, financially cheaper but personally on the doorstep. Any others do the same or second team?
Is it wrong to support a second side? on 14:18 - Feb 5 with 2117 viewsBowls1e

Is it wrong to support a second side? on 10:45 - Feb 5 by TheTrueBlue1878

Ironically I grew up the opposite, travelling to Suffolk every other Saturday with my father thinking, yes this is lovely place to live and then returning to Stoke-on-Trent.

Trentham Garden is probably one of the nicer attractions indeed in the area.

My step-father works in the Police in Stoke still and is a fellow ST holder at the Bet 365.

If you you are working in Hanley centre, i would suspected you don't see the prettier side of Staffordshire to often in your work life.

Yeah it's a bit downtrodden up Hanley (& most of the other 5 towns tbh) but the area will hopefully improve with time & investment is starting to arrive finally.

Love the countryside outside Stoke though. Also obsessed with cheesy oatcakes as well!
Is it wrong to support a second side? on 14:29 - Feb 5 with 2115 viewsDyland

Nothing wrong with the scenario you describe at all. In fact it's really good.

Having a "second" team in the Prem or whatever is totally wrong but hey, football in this country has been "wrong" in itself for years now, so whatever.

I have a good friend who's from the borders, and has never been particularly into footy, but changes "allegiance" fairly regularly between Ipswich and Norwich and if asked would say he "supports" both. Ridiculous. His brother in law is a budgie and to his credit also thinks he's an idiot even though the allegiance is more often feathered rather then hoofed.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Is it wrong to support a second side? on 14:29 - Feb 5 with 2109 viewsPJH

In the early to the mid 1970's I certainly supported two teams because I went to as many of Leeds' games in London that I could whilst also going to virtually all ITFC's home games.
I did miss one ITFC home game against Coventry because I went to Upton Park to watch Leeds.

I saw two of Leeds three F.A. Cup Finals at Wembley in that time plus their Charity Shield against Liverpool in 1974.

Went to Elland Road several times both then and since but only when ITFC have been there.

Also supported Leeds at Carrot Rud but then I must have supported about ten different teams there over the years.

Once at Portman Road(possibly the 1975 record crowd game) I had an Ipswich scarf on one wrist and a Leeds one on the other wrist-now THAT is supporting two teams.

I still have the Leeds scarf which was purchased at Elland Road in either the late 1960's or very early 1970's.

As other's have said I do not understand how anyone can "support" a team that they never actually go to watch whether it be at their home ground or in an away fixture.
Is it wrong to support a second side? on 15:09 - Feb 5 with 2080 viewsOwainG1992

Born and raised in Leeds. (Not Leeds united dont worry)
My 2nd team has been farsley Celtic.
Live not too far away.

Poll: Apologies I'm bored. How many signings will we have by Plymouth at home.

Is it wrong to support a second side? on 15:25 - Feb 5 with 2064 viewsBiGDonnie

Is it wrong to support a second side? on 14:29 - Feb 5 by PJH

In the early to the mid 1970's I certainly supported two teams because I went to as many of Leeds' games in London that I could whilst also going to virtually all ITFC's home games.
I did miss one ITFC home game against Coventry because I went to Upton Park to watch Leeds.

I saw two of Leeds three F.A. Cup Finals at Wembley in that time plus their Charity Shield against Liverpool in 1974.

Went to Elland Road several times both then and since but only when ITFC have been there.

Also supported Leeds at Carrot Rud but then I must have supported about ten different teams there over the years.

Once at Portman Road(possibly the 1975 record crowd game) I had an Ipswich scarf on one wrist and a Leeds one on the other wrist-now THAT is supporting two teams.

I still have the Leeds scarf which was purchased at Elland Road in either the late 1960's or very early 1970's.

As other's have said I do not understand how anyone can "support" a team that they never actually go to watch whether it be at their home ground or in an away fixture.

I wouldn't even class you as an ITFC supporter after reading this.

Up the Leeds

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Is it wrong to support a second side? on 15:30 - Feb 5 with 2057 viewsPJH

Is it wrong to support a second side? on 15:25 - Feb 5 by BiGDonnie

I wouldn't even class you as an ITFC supporter after reading this.

Up the Leeds

No, nor would I.

I even quite liked Spurs in the 1960's and early 1970's.

edit-loved it when I saw Leeds rip them apart at White Hart Lane in 1973 though.
[Post edited 5 Feb 2020 15:33]
Is it wrong to support a second side? on 15:39 - Feb 5 with 2043 viewsSwansea_Blue

Is it wrong to support a second side? on 14:29 - Feb 5 by PJH

That's ok, UNLESS the inspiration for the half and half scarf was someone seeing you with a different scarf on each wrist. In which case there's a special place in hell waiting for you

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Is it wrong to support a second side? on 16:11 - Feb 5 with 2014 viewsBiGDonnie

Is it wrong to support a second side? on 15:30 - Feb 5 by PJH

No, nor would I.

I even quite liked Spurs in the 1960's and early 1970's.

edit-loved it when I saw Leeds rip them apart at White Hart Lane in 1973 though.
[Post edited 5 Feb 2020 15:33]

All the sh(t you gave me for encouraging my boy to support Spurs (a decision he'd already independently made) and all the while, you're only a 50% Town supporter!

COYBs

Login to get fewer ads

Is it wrong to support a second side? on 16:34 - Feb 5 with 2001 viewsPJH

Is it wrong to support a second side? on 16:11 - Feb 5 by BiGDonnie

All the sh(t you gave me for encouraging my boy to support Spurs (a decision he'd already independently made) and all the while, you're only a 50% Town supporter!

Except you were boasting about turning your son against Ipswich and on to Spurs, bit of a difference.
Is it wrong to support a second side? on 16:45 - Feb 5 with 1989 viewsBiGDonnie

Is it wrong to support a second side? on 16:34 - Feb 5 by PJH

Except you were boasting about turning your son against Ipswich and on to Spurs, bit of a difference.

I was proud my boy could work out that ITFC are a sh&tshow and on the fast track road to nowhere

COYBs

Is it wrong to support a second side? on 16:50 - Feb 5 with 1985 viewsPJH

Is it wrong to support a second side? on 16:45 - Feb 5 by BiGDonnie

I was proud my boy could work out that ITFC are a sh&tshow and on the fast track road to nowhere

Remind him that we have won the league more recently than his team though won't you?
Is it wrong to support a second side? on 19:18 - Feb 5 with 1947 viewsnoggin

I've tried to support my local team, IK Start, but my heart just isn't in it. I don't see how you can support a team if you don't get excited when they score.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Is it wrong to support a second side? on 19:27 - Feb 5 with 1928 viewsBluemike31

Forfar Athletic - The mighty Loons !!!!!!
Is it wrong to support a second side? on 19:33 - Feb 5 with 1919 viewsMedwayTractor

Is it wrong to support a second side? on 09:43 - Feb 5 by shouldistayorcounago

Depends how much you support the second side. I go to Maidstone games when the town aren't playing or I have a free evening midweek, but I can't say I feel any pain if Maidstone lose. It's more of something to do and supporting the local community but I'm not too bothered about Maidstone's success really. Whereas Ipswich give me nightmares which I suppose is testament to how much this shambles of a club does and always will mean to me.

I've lived near Maidstone for more than 40 years, only ever been to one game, although I look out for their results, but more out of curiosity than anything else.

In 60 years of following Town, I've only ever been to three non-Town club games (plus two internationals at Wembley), one in Coventry with relatives who were Sky Blues, one at Vetch Field when I was working in S Wales and the 1973 Sunderland v Leeds Cup Final, with a Mackem mate. I was bored stupid at the first, the second was a tad scary because of the anti-Englishness and the third was one of the most memorable days of my life. Can't say that, out of choice, I'd ever go to another one.

I'm with you on the nightmares!

Blog: Who's Next Between the Sticks (Or Be Careful What You Wish For)?

Is it wrong to support a second side? on 19:35 - Feb 5 with 1913 viewsBLUEBEAT

Just do what you want to do. There are no rules.

I support a couple of non-league sides and will watch one of those if Ipswich are away (Only go to a few away games a season).

Poll: W or W

Is it wrong to support a second side? on 19:36 - Feb 5 with 1910 viewsfooters

Absolutely not. My second team is Norwich.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Is it wrong to support a second side? on 19:41 - Feb 5 with 1901 viewstextbackup

I've never even been to another live game without town playing, don't see the point

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Is it wrong to support a second side? on 20:22 - Feb 5 with 1863 viewsjaykay

Is it wrong to support a second side? on 09:02 - Feb 5 by TheTrueBlue1878

Didn't know I had a fellow Stokie on the board. Was born and raised in Stoke, moved to Ipswich about 6 years ago but all my family still live in Trentham and work in the Stoke.

Still my home.

trentham gardens use to go there a lot in the 70s. my relations lived in chesterton and wolstanton. some went to the victoria and the others went to vale park in burslem

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Is it wrong to support a second side? on 20:27 - Feb 5 with 1853 viewsJ2BLUE

Each to their own but it's not for me. I could probably get into watching a local team way down the pyramid but another football league or above club? Not really interested.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Is it wrong to support a second side? on 20:29 - Feb 5 with 1845 viewsbritbiker

Is it wrong to support a second side? on 09:59 - Feb 5 by ElephantintheRoom

Seems wrong not to. I followed Bristol City and Rovers when I lived in Bristol..Stirling Albion and a pilgrimage to all Scottish grounds when I lived in Scotland. Still feel mildly pleased when they are doing well. I supported Cambridge Utd when Evans first arrived and 'enjoyed' play-off success and failure with a more balanced eye. When MM made life unbearable I watched Leiston from time to time. Right now my second team is Cincinnati Bengals - who are just as inept as Town.

I feel your pain.
I support Raiders and jags. Both are as bad as Ipswich.
Too many weekends this year with all three losing.
Is it wrong to support a second side? on 20:53 - Feb 5 with 1816 viewsMaySixth

I started watching non-league football in London and watched Wealdstone.
When I was old enough to get on the train to Suffolk and other parts of the country was the time I properly started supporting Ipswich.
I keep an eye out for Wealdstone and get down there when I can (maybe once or twice a season)

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Is it wrong to support a second side? on 21:00 - Feb 5 with 1803 viewsTheonlywayisup

Is it wrong to support a second side? on 08:27 - Feb 5 by homer_123

Yes.

Been to a few non games Ipswich in my time and I always seemed to get wrapped up in it and it's almost like supporting Town. Went to a few Perth Glory games a few years go and the adrenalin wanting them to win in that moment was similar to watching the Town
Is it wrong to support a second side? on 21:00 - Feb 5 with 1803 viewslambo77

some people might get sniffy about it but don't see anything wrong with it. local teams appreciate the gate money and its a community thing too
Is it wrong to support a second side? on 21:12 - Feb 5 with 1780 viewssolemio

Is it wrong to support a second side? on 09:35 - Feb 5 by ChateauWines

Fiorentina and Raith Rovers for my sins. Highly unlikely they will ever play Town in the future

There'll be dancing on the streets of.... probably not Florence.

I follow Queen of the South for family reasons.
Is it wrong to support a second side? on 22:55 - Feb 5 with 1730 viewsBluearmy71

Is it wrong to support a second side? on 08:27 - Feb 5 by homer_123

Yes.

Completely and utterly THIS!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024