Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Serious question for the Evans outers 14:29 - Feb 10 with 13184 viewsBlueNomad

For those of you who shout about Evans getting "out of OUR club" I have a question.

He is an immensely wealthy man. Imagine for a moment that he decided to take your advice, write off the £100m+ debt and just went. After all, some of you claim he doesn't care. His life wouldn't really change much. What would be left of OUR club?
Serious question for the Evans outers on 15:10 - Feb 10 with 4058 viewsgordon

Serious question for the Evans outers on 14:37 - Feb 10 by artsbossbeard

Why would business man, Marcus Evans, simply write off £100m?

Effectively, the £100m is already written off - the prudent thing for him to do as a businessman would be to get the liability that is ITFC off his balance sheet pronto...
Serious question for the Evans outers on 15:11 - Feb 10 with 4058 viewsPendejo

Interesting question, without a thorough going through the accounts couldn't answer or challenge.

However

Consider this my employer was bought a number of years ago for £300m, those owners look like they are about to walk away shortly and handover control to a consortium of banks. My employer borrowed a significant amount of money to finance the takeover of a US company and things have, apparently, not gone weel.

The debt lies with employer not the owner, but if the owner is going to walk away from a business they paid £300m for does that mean the owners have made their original investment and then some? The owner is, allegedly, cash rich and can afford to clear the debt... But seems to be content to walk away.

Bringing it back to Evans, is his net investment really £100m?

He bought the £32m debt for £8m and has covered the debts since, £6m pa, plus original purchase cost. Had any income or benefit derived from the investment where it's be easier to just write off and walk away? Or even ask away at a profit? Without going through the accounts line by line I couldn't tell you.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Serious question for the Evans outers on 15:12 - Feb 10 with 4049 viewsChrisd

ME is slowly choking the life out of us season after season.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Serious question for the Evans outers on 15:14 - Feb 10 with 4039 viewsOxford_Blue

Serious question for the Evans outers on 15:11 - Feb 10 by Pendejo

Interesting question, without a thorough going through the accounts couldn't answer or challenge.

However

Consider this my employer was bought a number of years ago for £300m, those owners look like they are about to walk away shortly and handover control to a consortium of banks. My employer borrowed a significant amount of money to finance the takeover of a US company and things have, apparently, not gone weel.

The debt lies with employer not the owner, but if the owner is going to walk away from a business they paid £300m for does that mean the owners have made their original investment and then some? The owner is, allegedly, cash rich and can afford to clear the debt... But seems to be content to walk away.

Bringing it back to Evans, is his net investment really £100m?

He bought the £32m debt for £8m and has covered the debts since, £6m pa, plus original purchase cost. Had any income or benefit derived from the investment where it's be easier to just write off and walk away? Or even ask away at a profit? Without going through the accounts line by line I couldn't tell you.

He would wipe off £100m because he will never get it back anyway, and he’s losing £6m a year. That can’t go on forever. If you had the 100% chance to save £6m a year, but lose tiny chance of making back £100m what would you do?

I’d cut my losses. Assuming a buyer can be found.
Serious question for the Evans outers on 15:14 - Feb 10 with 4035 viewsRadlett_blue

Serious question for the Evans outers on 15:08 - Feb 10 by Oxford_Blue

But it loses £6m a year and it’s virtually impossible to make any profit from it. So why would anyone other than a very rich fan want to do that?

As has been stated.most Football League clubs lose money each year so owning one is a project for either (a) a rich fan (b) a rich foreigner looking for some kudos (c) a speculator who thinks he can get a club into the PL & then sell it on at a profit.
Evans won't want his £100m or whatever it is back. He's intelligent to know that he won't get it, but if he wants out of Town, he writes it off & recoups £15-20m by selling a debt free Town.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Serious question for the Evans outers on 15:17 - Feb 10 with 4016 viewsBluefish

Serious question for the Evans outers on 15:14 - Feb 10 by Oxford_Blue

He would wipe off £100m because he will never get it back anyway, and he’s losing £6m a year. That can’t go on forever. If you had the 100% chance to save £6m a year, but lose tiny chance of making back £100m what would you do?

Don't need a buyer just asset strip everything and then wind down. When the fans moan he can point out they demanded him out

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Serious question for the Evans outers on 15:18 - Feb 10 with 4013 viewsgordon

Serious question for the Evans outers on 15:14 - Feb 10 by Oxford_Blue

Sort of - if there was someone interested in buying the club, the debt wouldn't be written off. As said above, the debt would just be converted to a financial instrument which would be repaid to Evans under certain conditions. That's how it works when a debt-ridden club is sold.

But there isn't really a situation where 'writing/wiping off' the debt is beneficial to Evans.
Serious question for the Evans outers on 15:27 - Feb 10 with 4003 viewsDyland

It's nuanced, and there's a lot of nonsense spouted, especially on social media. Anyone shouting stuff like "Evans out" is either just venting spleen, or is not worth discussing anything with sensibly. He OWNS the club. It is HIS club. What do you mean "Evans out"?! If someone made a sensible offer that worked for him, he'd sell like a shot, even if they were a dodgy (bigger) disaster in the making. He doesn't give a sh1t about the future of ITFC beyond his business interests. I've generally supported Evans, all things considered, but not naively. He's not a fan ffs.

What fans and supporters and anyone who has given a sh1t about ITFC for ANY length of time can reasonably question, and be angry about, is Evans' distance. I don't want the bloke to talk to fans and his statements have been hollow. I don't want him standing near me on an away terrace ffs. "Distance" means disconnected. It means a fundamental inability to get it right, off and on the pitch. Useless appointment after useless appointment. It goes on and on and on, and on and on and on. Distance means something fooking metaphysical with this bloke. He's in a different paradigm to football.

I'm done with the sh1t ownership of our club, and I'm done with our inept manager.

COY...... oh I can't be arsed.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Login to get fewer ads

Serious question for the Evans outers on 15:28 - Feb 10 with 3983 viewsskyblue23

Serious question for the Evans outers on 15:08 - Feb 10 by Oxford_Blue

But it loses £6m a year and it’s virtually impossible to make any profit from it. So why would anyone other than a very rich fan want to do that?

Ask the owners of pretty much any team in the Championship? I don't think its unfair of me to use the Championship owners as my benchmark even though we're an average league 1 side right now.

I'm not saying somebody wants to take over to lose money. The owners of Championship clubs right now are hoping to hit the promise land of the Premier league, just as Marcus Evans was many years ago.

Poll: Paul Lambert moves on, would you be happy if Jim Magilton was given another go?

Serious question for the Evans outers on 15:29 - Feb 10 with 3982 viewsBlueNomad

I'm glad I posed the OP because I am learning alot about business etc from many of you. Thank you
Serious question for the Evans outers on 15:41 - Feb 10 with 3961 viewsDyland

Serious question for the Evans outers on 14:37 - Feb 10 by Bluefish

Still in business operating so highly likely to be better than the alternative.

Lose "highly" and put "likely" in italics and not sure how anyone can really argue with that.

Hmpf.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Serious question for the Evans outers on 15:53 - Feb 10 with 3937 viewsfactual_blue

Serious question for the Evans outers on 14:31 - Feb 10 by Steve_M

What do you think is going to be left of ITFC after another five years of Evans' ownership?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Serious question for the Evans outers on 15:58 - Feb 10 with 3920 viewschicoazul

Because he has no chance whatsoever of getting it back and, speculation time, may indeed be highly embarrassed by what a pig's ear he has made of it here. Someone may also make him a tempting-enough cash offer with a back-end deal about Premier League promotion tied in too.Again, speculation.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Serious question for the Evans outers on 16:00 - Feb 10 with 3912 viewschicoazul

Serious question for the Evans outers on 15:10 - Feb 10 by gordon

Effectively, the £100m is already written off - the prudent thing for him to do as a businessman would be to get the liability that is ITFC off his balance sheet pronto...

Yep.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Serious question for the Evans outers on 16:08 - Feb 10 with 3898 viewsBluefish

Serious question for the Evans outers on 15:41 - Feb 10 by Dyland

Lose "highly" and put "likely" in italics and not sure how anyone can really argue with that.

Hmpf.

I would do that but I don't know how to do italics.

Serious question for the Evans outers on 16:17 - Feb 10 with 3886 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

He may, as others have alluded, decide that rather than losing c£6m a year he’d be better off cutting his losses and walking away if a buyer can be found

That said the debt wouldn’t strictly be written off - as others have noted any sale would presumably be on the proviso that Evans gets a windfall if we were subsequently promoted to the PL or the club becomes massively profitable (highly unlikely without the PL part), but would be in effect a write off barring something of a turnaround

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Serious question for the Evans outers on 16:31 - Feb 10 with 3870 viewsDoctor_Earman

The loss-making enterprise that is ITFC is obviously beneficial to the ME empire as he can use it as a tax write-off against his other businesses. He implicitly said that in his interview 18 months ago or whatever.
Serious question for the Evans outers on 16:31 - Feb 10 with 3860 viewsWeWereZombies

Serious question for the Evans outers on 16:08 - Feb 10 by Bluefish

I would do that but I don't know how to do italics.

You hold the base of each letter firmly whilst delivering a sharp flick using the middle finger and thumb of your free hand to the left of the top of the letter...

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Serious question for the Evans outers on 16:37 - Feb 10 with 3853 viewsBluefish

Serious question for the Evans outers on 16:31 - Feb 10 by WeWereZombies

You hold the base of each letter firmly whilst delivering a sharp flick using the middle finger and thumb of your free hand to the left of the top of the letter...

ok cheers I'll try that

Serious question for the Evans outers on 16:38 - Feb 10 with 3845 viewsBlueBadger

Serious question for the Evans outers on 16:31 - Feb 10 by Doctor_Earman

The loss-making enterprise that is ITFC is obviously beneficial to the ME empire as he can use it as a tax write-off against his other businesses. He implicitly said that in his interview 18 months ago or whatever.

Ah, this old myth again. Im sure you can link us to the interview in question?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Serious question for the Evans outers on 16:42 - Feb 10 with 3835 viewsitfcjoe

Serious question for the Evans outers on 15:08 - Feb 10 by thatdamgood89

As I said on this weeks podcast (Talk of the town) sadly the days of everyone moving one place around the table (kerr to sheepshanks) have gone. 'Forcing' him out isn't really something we should or could do. Instead we should aim for enough pressure that brings the right type of change.

Actually putting football brains(not a sports science guy or a mindless drone) in charge of footballing decisions. I don't want an event planner / corporate events guy handling;
Contracts
Fees
Loans

Set an annual budget and then leave it to the 'experts'

I'd say give it listen but I'm biase 😂😂

Why do people not think Lee O'Neill is a football guy? He's worked in the sport for years and run the academy?

Academy manager to Director of Football is about the most common path for Director's of Football out there - because running an academy encompasses most of running a football club

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Serious question for the Evans outers on 16:48 - Feb 10 with 3814 viewsDoctor_Earman

Serious question for the Evans outers on 16:42 - Feb 10 by itfcjoe

Why do people not think Lee O'Neill is a football guy? He's worked in the sport for years and run the academy?

Academy manager to Director of Football is about the most common path for Director's of Football out there - because running an academy encompasses most of running a football club

Because sadly he's become a mere mouthpiece for Evans, spouting the usual rubbish and taking the fans for mugs.
Serious question for the Evans outers on 16:49 - Feb 10 with 3812 viewsjeera

Serious question for the Evans outers on 16:31 - Feb 10 by Doctor_Earman

How exactly does that work please?

Thanks in advance.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Serious question for the Evans outers on 16:51 - Feb 10 with 3799 viewsBluefish

Serious question for the Evans outers on 16:42 - Feb 10 by itfcjoe

Because he is from itfc if we replaced him with someone with the exact same career path from another club the same people would be delighted that we now have a football man

Serious question for the Evans outers on 17:01 - Feb 10 with 3786 viewsjeera

Serious question for the Evans outers on 16:51 - Feb 10 by Bluefish

Because he is from itfc if we replaced him with someone with the exact same career path from another club the same people would be delighted that we now have a football man

Although haven't people pointed out the man's trying to perform 20 roles at once?

I won't pretend to know how it works, but if he is Evans 'football man' then it would be good if the boss maybe took a bit more notice of him.

I wonder if he was consulted on Lambert's seemingly never-ending contract.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024