Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This is definitely a Lambert issue not a ME one ... 17:00 - Feb 24 with 6570 viewsMartus

Right, I think we all know we have a very decent squad for League 1. It came down from the Championship and we only lost a few players that came down. The lac of investment is not the issue - i believe a bette manager would be able to utilise the squad we have.

Looking at it - we have an abundance on midfielders. Bishop, Downes, Huws, Dozell, Nolan and Skuse. With such an array of midfielders it baffles me that we hardly see anything of them. A better manager would coach these pplayers to play to a style or a game plan - there is no style of play from Lambert and he doesnt play the ball through midfield at all. We dont play attractive football, and we dont play with any style or intent to play a certain way. The ammount of times me hoof the ball only for Keane and Jackson to loose the 50/50 challenges is staggering... and yet we cntinue to try it. Over and over and over again.

The managers job is the construct the team and lead them in to a way to play and coach them in the way he wants them to play. And Lambert clearly is not doing this. I cant understand why and how our players belive it is a good idea to hoof the ball long. I just don't get it.

A good cach wouldnt need to invest in the squad we have to get promoted and i am jealous of some of the so called smaller teams we have played. Oxford being one of them. We do have a good enough squad - we dont have a good enough manager to utlisie it.

"Bobby conquered Europe!!! And we won the FA cuuuuup!"

This is definitely a Lambert issue not a ME one ... on 17:22 - Feb 24 with 3950 viewsBlued

I get what your saying, but why the hell would Evans give Lambert a 5 year contract? Surely Evan's seeked advice before making the decision.
This is definitely a Lambert issue not a ME one ... on 17:26 - Feb 24 with 3931 viewsBlueBadger

This is definitely a Lambert issue not a ME one ... on 17:22 - Feb 24 by Blued

I get what your saying, but why the hell would Evans give Lambert a 5 year contract? Surely Evan's seeked advice before making the decision.

I reckon Lambert musy have bunged 'arry a few quid to get him to advise Evans that this was a sensible move.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

This is definitely a Lambert issue not a ME one ... on 17:40 - Feb 24 with 3891 viewsFtnfwest

But you do realise this squad got utterly pulverized in the championship. Agree it's a management issue currently though and I think the squad should have been stream liked a bit more with a couple more new players brought in. The only bad luck for PL was KVYs injury as we were a different side with him in and fully fit. Although he did rather fortunately drop into Lamberts lap in the first place.
This is definitely a Lambert issue not a ME one ... on 17:42 - Feb 24 with 3885 viewsGarv

The reason we go long so often is that we have one player in our squad willing and able to run at players and beat them and break lines. That player is Teddy Bishop who is injured 90% of the time, sadly.*

Saying that, until things get desperate and we run out of ideas, like second half Saturday, we don't go long as often as we used to. Since the turn of the year when 3-5-2 became a little more 'our system' and got us a few results, we've tended to move it through midfield more - Wolfy and Chambers have done well to force this - but it still needs players to dribble and run with the ball when it gets to the final third, which we just don't.

Shooting is another thing that is quite useful. We don't do that enough either, and when we do, it's painfully bad. Nolan's effort from 25 yards the other day, you see goals like that up and down the football league every weekend. Not at Portman Road.

I'll let other people decide whether these things are Lambert's fault.

*Dobra is another one to be fair, admittedly from the little I've seen. I don't understand how he's not been involved more.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

This is definitely a Lambert issue not a ME one ... on 18:46 - Feb 24 with 3788 viewsChocorange

Cos Lambert done Evans up in the negotiations.... Just the same as he sold us false feel good without any substance so he will have done with ME.

PL the golden goose that brought the feel good factor back, reunited fans with team, got over 12k season tickets sold in league 1, 20k for every home game and allowing ME to lose less money than in the Championship and who had us at the top and challenging .... Before the rest of the league cottoned on to the fact we weren't actually any good.

You only have to listen to the weird interviews before Christmas...before the contract was signed and announced... Talking of walking away, will he be here ... ME thought he couldn't afford not to have him and got took in.

Are there any get out clauses? Probably not , depends how desperate PL made ME.

PL took us all inc ME for mugs... And is now waiting for his final pay day when ME eventually pays up the contract.
This is definitely a Lambert issue not a ME one ... on 21:30 - Feb 24 with 3604 viewspeterleeblue

This is definitely a Lambert issue not a ME one ... on 18:46 - Feb 24 by Chocorange

Cos Lambert done Evans up in the negotiations.... Just the same as he sold us false feel good without any substance so he will have done with ME.

PL the golden goose that brought the feel good factor back, reunited fans with team, got over 12k season tickets sold in league 1, 20k for every home game and allowing ME to lose less money than in the Championship and who had us at the top and challenging .... Before the rest of the league cottoned on to the fact we weren't actually any good.

You only have to listen to the weird interviews before Christmas...before the contract was signed and announced... Talking of walking away, will he be here ... ME thought he couldn't afford not to have him and got took in.

Are there any get out clauses? Probably not , depends how desperate PL made ME.

PL took us all inc ME for mugs... And is now waiting for his final pay day when ME eventually pays up the contract.

Evans has created the problem but Lambert's the issue this season.
I watch a lot of Sunderland and IMHO we have better players man for man.
However, Parkinson has created a system that works and is tactically able to change things when not going well.
There are only a few players that would improve the Ipswich Team:-
Jordan Willis - Centre Half
Luke O Nien - Whole Hearted versatile wing back / midfielder
Chris Maguire - Sh*thouse style attacking midfielder / forward.
At a push Lynden Gooch (Winger)- Only because no KYV and Judge ain't doing it.

And that really is it.
This is definitely a Lambert issue not a ME one ... on 22:04 - Feb 24 with 3541 viewsCoastalblue

Why do people think a squad that performed so abysmally in the Championship last season, and we weren't relegated by a narrow margin, should be so powerful a level lower?

That's not excusing the sorry mess of line up and tactics we're currently seeing either, but I don't buy this story of what a great squad we have. PL may not be getting the best out of it, but we have very few standout players at this level so far.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

This is definitely a Lambert issue not a ME one ... on 23:13 - Feb 24 with 3479 viewsChurchman

I’m sorry, I have to disagree with you. A squad that was relegated by a mile. No goal scorers and poor midfielders for this level and a porous defence. A few players measure up but the rest don’t in my view. Nolan: great 2 years ago starring for mighty Shrewsbury, hopeless now. Bishop, Huws rarely fit. Judge never got over his horrendous injury. Skuse: Premier League quality! He never was proven by nobody being interested and he’s years past his best. Chambers: decent five years ago. The forwards: goals scored, fitness and discipline tell their own story, excluding Sears who iis not fit.

Downes, Woolfenden and KVY plus Garbutt, fine. Shame they’ll be gone next year. But the rest? Seriously, as Fuller in the EADT pointed out, avoiding relegation next year will be a big challenge for this club. Is Lambert the man to do it? There’s nothing to suggest he is.

Evans owns the club. He is accountable and presumably is pleased with the way things are developing as shown by a five year contract for PL.
[Post edited 24 Feb 2020 23:16]
Login to get fewer ads

This is definitely a Lambert issue not a ME one ... on 07:05 - Feb 25 with 3295 viewsChrisd

They all have accountability.

ME - Dreadful as a leader with countless poor decision, on top of poor decision and has tightened the purse strings season on season. Changes his mind like the weather regarding any long term plan for the club. He's the constant and has overseen our steady decline over the last decade.

PL - Talks a good game, but lacks substance. Has next to no tactical nous and seems incapable of motivating the squad of players. Getting found out and is now showing why he never lasts that long in any of his managerial appointments.

Our squad - They were a L1 squad last season and showing their true colours during this campaign. We have a few individuals that are decent, the rest are hugely overrated. The continued struggle against the better sides shows the ability and mentality should be questioned and rightly so.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

This is definitely a Lambert issue not a ME one ... on 07:44 - Feb 25 with 3219 viewsParamedic

Because Lambert had a little meltdown like a spoilt kid and Evans concerned he would walk away gave him what he wanted. I'd have given the whining brat a clip round the ear and told him he could have a new contract when he'd finished all his first course.

AllalallalSunderland

This is definitely a Lambert issue not a ME one ... on 08:21 - Feb 25 with 3161 viewsr2d2

Your first paragraph sums it up. If you think, along with others we have a very good squad, then you are wrong. We finished bottom of the championship with most of this team. So, then to think those same players were going to do the business in league 1, people were very much mistaken. They simply were never good enough and along with a manager who never let the team settle into a pattern or a regular first 11. We never stood a chance.
This is definitely a Lambert issue not a ME one ... on 08:24 - Feb 25 with 3150 viewsr2d2

This is definitely a Lambert issue not a ME one ... on 21:30 - Feb 24 by peterleeblue

Evans has created the problem but Lambert's the issue this season.
I watch a lot of Sunderland and IMHO we have better players man for man.
However, Parkinson has created a system that works and is tactically able to change things when not going well.
There are only a few players that would improve the Ipswich Team:-
Jordan Willis - Centre Half
Luke O Nien - Whole Hearted versatile wing back / midfielder
Chris Maguire - Sh*thouse style attacking midfielder / forward.
At a push Lynden Gooch (Winger)- Only because no KYV and Judge ain't doing it.

And that really is it.

Thats half the team that would be improved then.
This is definitely a Lambert issue not a ME one ... on 08:24 - Feb 25 with 3150 viewsIpswichKnight

I didn't see any of the championship teams knocking on our door to buy our players last season and I don't see many L1 teams doing the same this. The midfield is one dimensional and our best player is a defensive midfielder. We have stuck with Judge when it's obvious he is a flat track bully and against organised well drilled teams ( the top half of the table ) he looks lost. We have ZERO pace in the team ( bar Jackson and KVY ) and no one ever runs at an opposition player and tries to make something happen.

However we do have some talent coming through in the midfield and next season we should see it blossom, El-Mizouni, Dobra and Lankester will all be available a midfield/strikeforce containing those three suddenly looks a lot more dynamic and pacey. They will now of course all be sold in the summer :(
This is definitely a Lambert issue not a ME one ... on 08:32 - Feb 25 with 3131 viewsitfcjoe

Lambert has had 75 games in charge, including basically a free hit for 30+ games last year and I couldn't tell you what he is trying to do - I don't think anyone can.

He came in with a really clear gameplan, it wasn't working all over the pitch but we started scoring goals and were at a higher level - I don't think we've played that style once this year that we saw in those first few games.

I was really enthused after those, he seemed to have a really clear idea of what he wanted - it's been a massive mess since then

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

This is definitely a Lambert issue not a ME one ... on 08:35 - Feb 25 with 3114 viewsMartus

This is definitely a Lambert issue not a ME one ... on 23:13 - Feb 24 by Churchman

I’m sorry, I have to disagree with you. A squad that was relegated by a mile. No goal scorers and poor midfielders for this level and a porous defence. A few players measure up but the rest don’t in my view. Nolan: great 2 years ago starring for mighty Shrewsbury, hopeless now. Bishop, Huws rarely fit. Judge never got over his horrendous injury. Skuse: Premier League quality! He never was proven by nobody being interested and he’s years past his best. Chambers: decent five years ago. The forwards: goals scored, fitness and discipline tell their own story, excluding Sears who iis not fit.

Downes, Woolfenden and KVY plus Garbutt, fine. Shame they’ll be gone next year. But the rest? Seriously, as Fuller in the EADT pointed out, avoiding relegation next year will be a big challenge for this club. Is Lambert the man to do it? There’s nothing to suggest he is.

Evans owns the club. He is accountable and presumably is pleased with the way things are developing as shown by a five year contract for PL.
[Post edited 24 Feb 2020 23:16]

It's not a given that a side relegated form the Championship should do well - as we have seen sides struggle since being relegated e.g. Sunderland, Portsmouth and Sheffield Utd. But the squad has quality, even if you disagree with that - you can't condone the way we play surely? Either way, a manager should be able to produce a better game plan and utlise the midefield a bit more.

The main point of my post is that it should be better - and witht the midefielders we have, we should be a bit more positive when it comes to playing through the midfield, instead of launching it long from the back.

This is definitely a Lambert issue not a ME one ... on 08:35 - Feb 25 with 3116 viewstractorboy1978

This is definitely a Lambert issue not a ME one ... on 08:32 - Feb 25 by itfcjoe

Lambert has had 75 games in charge, including basically a free hit for 30+ games last year and I couldn't tell you what he is trying to do - I don't think anyone can.

He came in with a really clear gameplan, it wasn't working all over the pitch but we started scoring goals and were at a higher level - I don't think we've played that style once this year that we saw in those first few games.

I was really enthused after those, he seemed to have a really clear idea of what he wanted - it's been a massive mess since then

I'm sure the players have as little idea what he's trying to do as well. We barely have a recognised Plan A let alone a Plan B.
This is definitely a Lambert issue not a ME one ... on 09:16 - Feb 25 with 3041 viewsChurchman

This is definitely a Lambert issue not a ME one ... on 08:35 - Feb 25 by Martus

It's not a given that a side relegated form the Championship should do well - as we have seen sides struggle since being relegated e.g. Sunderland, Portsmouth and Sheffield Utd. But the squad has quality, even if you disagree with that - you can't condone the way we play surely? Either way, a manager should be able to produce a better game plan and utlise the midefield a bit more.

The main point of my post is that it should be better - and witht the midefielders we have, we should be a bit more positive when it comes to playing through the midfield, instead of launching it long from the back.

Of course I don’t condone the way we play and while I thought PL might be getting somewhere early in the season, it’s clear he hasn’t a clue. They are awful and heading one way. But then they’ve been heading one way for years and that’s not going to change whoever is manager.

As far as the players are concerned, how many would get into any other league 1 team? Five or six maybe? And the majority of those will be rightly progressing their careers elsewhere in the summer. Good teams always have a strong spine. Lambert has kept rotating the keeper, we have Woolfenden and he is a young player learning his game and not much else. No midfielders to controls game and no decent forwards for this level. And let’s not forget full backs. KVY is good, but hasn’t played. The rest are poor.

But when all’s said and done unless a club is sorted out top to bottom, is organised and knows where it’s going with the hunger to do so, forget it. I’m sure Klug and those that really care about it are great at their jobs individually, but that’s just not enough. I’m struggling to think of a worse run club in professional football and the results, direction of travel are there for all to see. Cheers Mr Evans.
This is definitely a Lambert issue not a ME one ... on 09:20 - Feb 25 with 3031 viewspeterleeblue

This is definitely a Lambert issue not a ME one ... on 09:16 - Feb 25 by Churchman

Of course I don’t condone the way we play and while I thought PL might be getting somewhere early in the season, it’s clear he hasn’t a clue. They are awful and heading one way. But then they’ve been heading one way for years and that’s not going to change whoever is manager.

As far as the players are concerned, how many would get into any other league 1 team? Five or six maybe? And the majority of those will be rightly progressing their careers elsewhere in the summer. Good teams always have a strong spine. Lambert has kept rotating the keeper, we have Woolfenden and he is a young player learning his game and not much else. No midfielders to controls game and no decent forwards for this level. And let’s not forget full backs. KVY is good, but hasn’t played. The rest are poor.

But when all’s said and done unless a club is sorted out top to bottom, is organised and knows where it’s going with the hunger to do so, forget it. I’m sure Klug and those that really care about it are great at their jobs individually, but that’s just not enough. I’m struggling to think of a worse run club in professional football and the results, direction of travel are there for all to see. Cheers Mr Evans.

Sometimes there is no Ryhme or Reason.

Evans employed so called people who had done it all before.
Sunderland scrape the barrel with Parkinson and he seems to be getting it right with somebody elses team.
This is definitely a Lambert issue not a ME one ... on 09:34 - Feb 25 with 3003 viewsRadlett_blue

This is definitely a Lambert issue not a ME one ... on 08:35 - Feb 25 by Martus

Lambert initially wanted us to play out from the back last season, but abandoned that this season, largely on the grounds that we don't have the players. I would agree that Wilson & Chambers are unsuited to this style. However, hoofing it forward to the players we have up front has so regularly been productive that it beggars belief that we keep doing it.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

This is definitely a Lambert issue not a ME one ... on 09:37 - Feb 25 with 2993 viewsBiGDonnie

Our squad is ok for this division, not very decent.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

This is definitely a Lambert issue not a ME one ... on 09:54 - Feb 25 with 2965 viewsElephantintheRoom

Hmmmmn. Have a look at the league table last season and you might appreciate that one of the key issues is that so many of last year's squad are still around.... and will be until their contracts are up.

Add into the mix the clearly unfit/never will be fit players - Huws, Bishop... the flattering to deceive - Dozzel.... the players that haven't gelled here - several/too many .... and you can see that any manager has a problem.

The financial reality is that players will not go unless they are paid off or someone wants them.... and having so many comfy underperformers drags the whole whole club down.

IF Vincent-Young had stayed fit I am sure you'd be a big Lambo fan.... for now you might have to wait for the play-offs to change your tune.... or perish the thought, a year or two.

If the likes of Leeds and Sheff U struggle in this division - why shouldn't Town?

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

This is definitely a Lambert issue not a ME one ... on 10:05 - Feb 25 with 2936 viewsMartus

This is definitely a Lambert issue not a ME one ... on 09:16 - Feb 25 by Churchman

I agree - but i would argue that our current style doesnt suit some of our players. I would love to see Dozell play more and be given the freedom to just go and play - same with Huws and Bishop. They can be the creative and dynamic players we need - but the play doesnt go through them. Maybe there is more to it - but i wish we utilised the ball playing midfielders we have. Nolan on the otherhand was awful on Saturday and royally p*ssed me off - didnt want the ball, never looked forward and never took it in to the space infront of him. Maybe a lack of confidence - but a very negative midfielder who was pointless on the pitch - he offered nothing. Surely Dozell offers more than that?!

I just think we need a director football in place like that of Brentford - someone in charge at the top who directs how the football side of things operates. One consistant style of play that runs through the youth sides all the way to the first team squad. "This is how we play and this is our philosphy" We are desperate for it. And then as managers come and go - we operate the same way and the manager needs to slot in to the setup.

This is definitely a Lambert issue not a ME one ... on 10:09 - Feb 25 with 2921 viewsMatt_Netherlands

This is definitely a Lambert issue not a ME one ... on 08:32 - Feb 25 by itfcjoe

It’s almost as if making 5/6 changes to the team every single week at the start of the season hasn’t helped us build an identity or settled system. Who’d have predicted that eh.....
This is definitely a Lambert issue not a ME one ... on 10:19 - Feb 25 with 2897 viewsitfcjoe

" I’m struggling to think of a worse run club in professional football"

Have you had a look round at other clubs? Genuinely

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

This is definitely a Lambert issue not a ME one ... on 10:22 - Feb 25 with 2873 viewsjeera

This is definitely a Lambert issue not a ME one ... on 10:19 - Feb 25 by itfcjoe

" I’m struggling to think of a worse run club in professional football"

Have you had a look round at other clubs? Genuinely

You probably discussed it in the past, but given your involvement in FM statistics et al, could a moneyball approach realistically be taken to building an operating squad in football?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024