Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Herd immunity 07:29 - Mar 13 with 19913 viewsbluelagos

Ok, so watching the newsnight interview (thx whoever suggested watching it) and it seems we are taking the approach of wanting the population to develop immunity.

A few thoughts / questions.

Is this actually our policy or was it just an opinion from an informed advisor?

If CV could kill you, why does it matter if you get it now or in say the autumn?

If there is an overall benefit from herd immunity, why are we emcouraging people of wash hands etc. We should surely be solely nessaging to isolate the vulnerable and encouraging preventative measures for those in contact with the vulnerable? (If we want herd immunity)

Thoughts?
[Post edited 13 Mar 2020 7:36]

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Herd immunity on 10:04 - Mar 13 with 2253 viewsm14_blue

Herd immunity on 09:58 - Mar 13 by Swansea_Blue

Nah, they're pretty ugly kids .

Herd immunity on 10:04 - Mar 13 with 2249 viewsGlasgowBlue

Herd immunity on 09:52 - Mar 13 by BanksterDebtSlave

Easy for you to say you all have separate houses!

I have 4 kids so having multiple bathrooms has always been a necessity.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Herd immunity on 11:03 - Mar 13 with 2210 viewsElderGrizzly

Context. We are losing our sh!t over 590 cases. We need 36 million cases for herd immunity. And 800,000 plus people will die

For Herd Immunity to work we need 36 million cases and even then, Doctors don’t think it will work. You need some immunity in the population for it to work.

lollers (n/t) on 11:09 - Mar 13 with 2182 viewsDyland

Herd immunity on 09:39 - Mar 13 by Swansea_Blue

I haven't cleaned ours for ages, except after kids hurling. We have a raging Brexiteer Polish woman clean them (don't ask).

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Herd immunity on 11:13 - Mar 13 with 2167 viewsHerbivore

Herd immunity on 11:03 - Mar 13 by ElderGrizzly

Context. We are losing our sh!t over 590 cases. We need 36 million cases for herd immunity. And 800,000 plus people will die

For Herd Immunity to work we need 36 million cases and even then, Doctors don’t think it will work. You need some immunity in the population for it to work.

And if they want herd immunity then it makes more sense to allow it to spread but to isolate those at most risk. In fact you'd even want to encourage it being contracted in the young and healthy who shouldn't need hospital treatment, but you'd want older people and those with underlying health conditions to be on lockdown. That's not what is being done though, the strategy seems a bit confused to me.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Herd immunity on 11:14 - Mar 13 with 2159 viewsElderGrizzly

Herd immunity on 11:13 - Mar 13 by Herbivore

And if they want herd immunity then it makes more sense to allow it to spread but to isolate those at most risk. In fact you'd even want to encourage it being contracted in the young and healthy who shouldn't need hospital treatment, but you'd want older people and those with underlying health conditions to be on lockdown. That's not what is being done though, the strategy seems a bit confused to me.

Maybe Marcus Evans helped them with the strategy?
Herd immunity on 11:20 - Mar 13 with 2146 viewsSwansea_Blue

Interesting attempt to summarise the position here, regarding balancing conflicting needs. There's a link to a Times piece at the bottom for those who can get past the paywall

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Herd immunity on 11:22 - Mar 13 with 2137 viewsHerbivore

Herd immunity on 11:14 - Mar 13 by ElderGrizzly

Maybe Marcus Evans helped them with the strategy?

A five point strategy?

Login to get fewer ads

Herd immunity on 11:24 - Mar 13 with 2128 viewsHerbivore

Herd immunity on 11:20 - Mar 13 by Swansea_Blue

Interesting attempt to summarise the position here, regarding balancing conflicting needs. There's a link to a Times piece at the bottom for those who can get past the paywall

Looks like we've fallen on the side of prioritising the economy based on that.

Herd immunity on 11:34 - Mar 13 with 2116 viewsDublinBlue84

Thing is though if you were being extremely cynical you would say that if the virus spread through everyone then obviously it's going to hit the weakest and illest in our society the hardest and some will unfortunately pass away as they will not be able to fight it off.

However by the time it's gone through everyone and herd immunity has been achieved, there will be far less ill and weak in society as they would have already have passed away, so the ones who are still alive are going to be far healthier and either immune or effected less by it.

There was some quack on the tube earlier though that was suggesting to fellow passengers that the whole thing could work in the governments favour long term as it might reduce the numbers requiring social care if the virus killed them.....people didn't take too kindly to that
[Post edited 13 Mar 2020 11:43]

Poll: What result on Tuesday is best for the club?

Herd immunity on 11:38 - Mar 13 with 2109 viewsHerbivore

Herd immunity on 11:34 - Mar 13 by DublinBlue84

Thing is though if you were being extremely cynical you would say that if the virus spread through everyone then obviously it's going to hit the weakest and illest in our society the hardest and some will unfortunately pass away as they will not be able to fight it off.

However by the time it's gone through everyone and herd immunity has been achieved, there will be far less ill and weak in society as they would have already have passed away, so the ones who are still alive are going to be far healthier and either immune or effected less by it.

There was some quack on the tube earlier though that was suggesting to fellow passengers that the whole thing could work in the governments favour long term as it might reduce the numbers requiring social care if the virus killed them.....people didn't take too kindly to that

He has a point. Let's be honest, would anyone be 100% confident that that hasn't crossed the mind of Johnson and Cummings? They don't strike me as caring much about people.

Herd immunity on 11:48 - Mar 13 with 2093 viewsRyorry

Herd immunity on 09:52 - Mar 13 by Guthrum

Child hurling in bathrooms is not recommended. They don't fly very far, for a start.

Child howling on the other hand ... my very first memory is of sitting on a bathroom stool (age 2 I was later told) howling my head off because parents had gone out for the evening, leaving us with some poor baby-sitter!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Herd immunity on 11:56 - Mar 13 with 2079 viewsDublinBlue84

Herd immunity on 11:38 - Mar 13 by Herbivore

He has a point. Let's be honest, would anyone be 100% confident that that hasn't crossed the mind of Johnson and Cummings? They don't strike me as caring much about people.

Nothing was really announced about Social Care in the budget either, come to think of it.

If they are really looking at the cash that they will save from social care and pensions etc then that is disgusting, although it's killing their core vote off in some respects.

Saying that though, the Tory party will probbably paint themselves as victims in all of this and when all of the Brexit impact comes further down the line they'll blame that on the virus too.

The gullable public will swallow it no doubt and the Tories will campaign for the next election on the victims of circumstance card blaming everyone else. As a Tory supporter I know once said, 'If we can make the public blame someone else, they're not blaming us'

Herd immunity on 12:04 - Mar 13 with 2053 viewsRyorry

I think many elderly and/or with underlying conditions are already doing this; I'm certainly limiting my usual activites to some extent (albeit not on total lock-down yet).

In this situation where nobody really knows for sure what's *actually* best for all, there's a great deal to be said for listening to your own instincts I think - we are animals too, and we're given instinct for a reason. And only individuals can know "where they're at" with their bodies, local conditions (better out in rural areas you'd expect).

However, the unpalatable fact is that for many elderly with pre-existing respiratory and/or auto-immune health problems who always get "chesty" after any old cold, this is going to inevitably be very "challenging", assuming that most people will get Covid-19 in the end, just as they get any cold going once it's "out there". The main thing this virus attacks is the lungs, with pneumonia followed by bacteril pneumonia if you're unlucky.

Herd immunity on 12:15 - Mar 13 with 2036 viewsRyorry

Herd immunity on 11:34 - Mar 13 by DublinBlue84

Re your first two paras - that is simply a matter of nature taking its course as normal.

It has crossed my mind that given the way humans have been treating the planet, climate change etc., this could be nature's way of trying to balance the scales a bit - I don't mean in a "knowing" kind of way employing intelligence or strategy, but just in a biological way.

Herd immunity on 12:21 - Mar 13 with 2011 viewsDublinBlue84

Herd immunity on 12:15 - Mar 13 by Ryorry

Re your first two paras - that is simply a matter of nature taking its course as normal.

It has crossed my mind that given the way humans have been treating the planet, climate change etc., this could be nature's way of trying to balance the scales a bit - I don't mean in a "knowing" kind of way employing intelligence or strategy, but just in a biological way.

Sure it is indeed a matter of nature taking it's course, but going for a herd immunity tactic is encouraging it and as stated, this tactic also has the potential to assist with another issue that the government would quite like to deal with.

It feels wrong to use the word 'opportunity' in connection with the virus, but as the guy on the tube said this morning, it does present a circumstance where a new problem in society might help tackle the effects of an existing one.

Herd immunity on 12:22 - Mar 13 with 2007 viewsStokieBlue

Herd immunity on 11:20 - Mar 13 by Swansea_Blue

The health director of Ohio has stated that probably 100,000 people in that state have it based on the maths but they only have 5 confirmed cases.

Not an optimistic viewpoint as seems a tad hyperbolic - it would mean somewhere like Wuhan would have a million cases or something.

I wonder how helpful these type of statements are.

SB
[Post edited 13 Mar 2020 12:24]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Herd immunity on 13:40 - Mar 13 with 1967 viewsChurchman

Herd immunity on 08:10 - Mar 13 by DanTheMan

I'm just basically repeating what they said yesterday in the press conference, probably in a poor way.

I'm in no real position to criticise them, none of us are really. From other (non-government) sources I've read have basically said there is no "correct" way of doing this, especially when we know relatively little about this virus.

That said, even in my local paper there are two opposing views from the same university. One, a professor in the epidemiology of infectious diseases, is saying it's sensible and another, professor of molecular virology, is saying that because most people present with just cold symptoms, self isolation should be further spread.

Just watched a dude on the news who was looking at the stats which if taken on face value suggest that the pathway of this may be different for the UK than Italy. With Italy there was a really massive spike in cases which suggested that it was in the Italian community and spreading (northern bit anyway) before anything was done. By comparison the UK has seen a steady climb. It’s as notable how regional is is in Italy too.

My view is that if the government are taking advice, which they clearly are, this is the best way as opposed to the politicking that the NS did yesterday or that bitter stick insect Jeremy Hunt. But who knows, we are dealing with the unknown.
[Post edited 13 Mar 2020 13:41]
Herd immunity on 13:46 - Mar 13 with 1954 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

That's the illuminati for you!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Herd immunity on 13:49 - Mar 13 with 1947 viewsHerbivore

Herd immunity on 13:46 - Mar 13 by BanksterDebtSlave

That's the illuminati for you!

As lizards I think they're already immune, which is why they seem quite emotionally detached from it all I imagine.

Herd immunity on 13:52 - Mar 13 with 1944 viewsBluesquid

Herd immunity on 11:38 - Mar 13 by Herbivore

You really believe that the government to some degree then has considered using this crisis to kill off hundreds of thousands if not perhaps even the low millions of it's own citizens in order to save money?
Herd immunity on 13:54 - Mar 13 with 1935 viewsHerbivore

Herd immunity on 13:52 - Mar 13 by Bluesquid

You really believe that the government to some degree then has considered using this crisis to kill off hundreds of thousands if not perhaps even the low millions of it's own citizens in order to save money?

I think I've answered that in the post you've quoted.

Herd immunity on 13:55 - Mar 13 with 1935 viewsBluesquid

Herd immunity on 13:54 - Mar 13 by Herbivore

I think I've answered that in the post you've quoted.

So that's a yes then?
Herd immunity on 14:02 - Mar 13 with 1920 viewsHerbivore

Herd immunity on 13:55 - Mar 13 by Bluesquid

So that's a yes then?

It's more of a case that I wouldn't be at all surprised if it has crossed Johnson and Cummings' mind that it might not be worth sinking lots of resources into measures that might further tank the economy in order to save people who are already costing the state as it is. It wouldn't surprise me at all if that has crossed their minds.

Herd immunity on 14:06 - Mar 13 with 1915 viewsGlasgowBlue

Herd immunity on 14:02 - Mar 13 by Herbivore

It's more of a case that I wouldn't be at all surprised if it has crossed Johnson and Cummings' mind that it might not be worth sinking lots of resources into measures that might further tank the economy in order to save people who are already costing the state as it is. It wouldn't surprise me at all if that has crossed their minds.

Tory core vote = the elderly. You haven’t thought this one through have you Herbie?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024