Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A lot of focus on reviewing the lockdown 17:37 - Apr 7 with 1430 viewsgainsboroughblue

I really can't see how any restrictions can be lifted at the moment surely, especially as the current message hasn't still got through to some people?

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

A lot of focus on reviewing the lockdown on 17:43 - Apr 7 with 1402 viewsSteve_M

It's there, I presume, so that people adjust to it. Rationally this continues until the end of April at the very least, probably well into May but it's easier to deal with in stages.

It will be informative to watch what happens as restrictions are lifted in Europe. Austria is about to start, hopefully the number of cases will stay steady there.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

A lot of focus on reviewing the lockdown on 17:49 - Apr 7 with 1378 viewsnoggin

A lot of focus on reviewing the lockdown on 17:43 - Apr 7 by Steve_M

It's there, I presume, so that people adjust to it. Rationally this continues until the end of April at the very least, probably well into May but it's easier to deal with in stages.

It will be informative to watch what happens as restrictions are lifted in Europe. Austria is about to start, hopefully the number of cases will stay steady there.

Schools and nurseries to reopen here on 20th April. Hopefully we don't end up regretting it.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

A lot of focus on reviewing the lockdown on 17:51 - Apr 7 with 1372 viewsbluelagos

Couple of points.

The message absolutely has got through to the vast majority of people. You only need to go out on the roads to see that. Those not being sensible are in a very very small minority, albeit they are regularly highlighted on social media.

Think I read that one of the medical bods said we wouldn't even consider coming out until the deaths had stablisised/started to drop. So realistically expect another 3 weeks with a review at that point would be my guess.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

A lot of focus on reviewing the lockdown on 21:18 - Apr 7 with 1212 viewsOldsmoker

Perhaps those people who are floating this idea have kids, probably teenagers, at home with them. They might have selfish reasons for wanting the lockdown ended.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

A lot of focus on reviewing the lockdown on 21:34 - Apr 7 with 1178 viewsElderGrizzly

A lot of focus on reviewing the lockdown on 17:51 - Apr 7 by bluelagos

Couple of points.

The message absolutely has got through to the vast majority of people. You only need to go out on the roads to see that. Those not being sensible are in a very very small minority, albeit they are regularly highlighted on social media.

Think I read that one of the medical bods said we wouldn't even consider coming out until the deaths had stablisised/started to drop. So realistically expect another 3 weeks with a review at that point would be my guess.

Agree. We won’t see an end to the current restrictions until mid-May at the absolute earliest and before then we are expecting them to increase in their limitations, with deaths predicted to be almost 3,000 a day by the end of next week.

One study is saying we are going to be the worst hit in Europe, with over 40% of the entire continents deaths.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/07/uk-will-be-europes-worst-hit-by-co
A lot of focus on reviewing the lockdown on 21:42 - Apr 7 with 1158 viewsWD19

They can’t and won’t - but journalists have run out of questions to ask.
A lot of focus on reviewing the lockdown on 21:47 - Apr 7 with 1133 viewsgainsboroughblue

A lot of focus on reviewing the lockdown on 21:18 - Apr 7 by Oldsmoker

Perhaps those people who are floating this idea have kids, probably teenagers, at home with them. They might have selfish reasons for wanting the lockdown ended.

I was talking more from the press at the 5pm briefing/address earlier.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

A lot of focus on reviewing the lockdown on 22:03 - Apr 7 with 1100 viewsSwansea_Blue

Couple of points.

Yep, it's remarkably quiet around here. Apart from the obvious shadow of the disease hanging over us, I like it. It reminds me of how I remember things when I was a kid growing up in a sleepy Suffolk village. Everything's calmed down, people aren't rushing everywhere all the time, you can hear silence when you stop and listen rather than just the hum of traffic. I'm not looking forward to re-joining the rat race.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

A lot of focus on reviewing the lockdown on 22:06 - Apr 7 with 1095 viewsCoastalblue

A lot of focus on reviewing the lockdown on 21:47 - Apr 7 by gainsboroughblue

I was talking more from the press at the 5pm briefing/address earlier.

If these press briefings have shown me nothing else, it's the amount of inane questions people holding them have to put up with.

These repeated questions about the lockdown being reviewed and lifted are completely superflous to anybody with half a brain cell. There was a question the other day that referenced the fact the peak will be at the end of this week, like it's running on a schedule the government decided on.

I can't decide whther half of these journos are as thick as two short planks, are assuming their readers are and pitching questions accordingly, or have just already written a story and are asking a question that may give them an answer where they can crowbar part of it into their story.

Somebody should just inform them that newspapers are an irrelevance now.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

A lot of focus on reviewing the lockdown on 22:13 - Apr 7 with 1082 viewsElderGrizzly

A lot of focus on reviewing the lockdown on 22:06 - Apr 7 by Coastalblue

If these press briefings have shown me nothing else, it's the amount of inane questions people holding them have to put up with.

These repeated questions about the lockdown being reviewed and lifted are completely superflous to anybody with half a brain cell. There was a question the other day that referenced the fact the peak will be at the end of this week, like it's running on a schedule the government decided on.

I can't decide whther half of these journos are as thick as two short planks, are assuming their readers are and pitching questions accordingly, or have just already written a story and are asking a question that may give them an answer where they can crowbar part of it into their story.

They appear to be trying to get a ‘gotcha’ moment and nothing more now. It’s tedious
A lot of focus on reviewing the lockdown on 22:27 - Apr 7 with 1059 viewsPlums

I think you’re spot on Laura K asks a question and then they build a news piece around it. It’s becoming very tedious and uninformative.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

A lot of focus on reviewing the lockdown on 22:42 - Apr 7 with 1031 viewsjeera

Couple of points.

Although why aren't the roads full of cyclists?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

A lot of focus on reviewing the lockdown on 23:03 - Apr 7 with 986 viewsStokieBlue

A lot of focus on reviewing the lockdown on 21:34 - Apr 7 by ElderGrizzly

Agree. We won’t see an end to the current restrictions until mid-May at the absolute earliest and before then we are expecting them to increase in their limitations, with deaths predicted to be almost 3,000 a day by the end of next week.

One study is saying we are going to be the worst hit in Europe, with over 40% of the entire continents deaths.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/07/uk-will-be-europes-worst-hit-by-co

I believe that study has been discredited?

I can't remember all the reasons but one of them was that they couldn't find the number of ventilators available for the UK so they put 0 into the model and another was they were basing the ICU capacity at what is was 6 months ago before hospitals made conversions and before the new Nightingale hospitals were built so it was vastly lower than the reality.

SB
[Post edited 8 Apr 2020 8:14]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

A lot of focus on reviewing the lockdown on 07:57 - Apr 8 with 821 viewsPablokuqi

A lot of focus on reviewing the lockdown on 17:49 - Apr 7 by noggin

Schools and nurseries to reopen here on 20th April. Hopefully we don't end up regretting it.

Here, do you mean the UK?

If that was the case why would all exams for May and June be cancelled? Surely exams would have continued if only two weeks of school was missed.

The government have just released a list of websites for home learning this week. Why do that if schools returning on 20th April?

Would be surprised if they open before May half term but then I am no expert.
A lot of focus on reviewing the lockdown on 08:02 - Apr 8 with 811 viewsbluelagos

A lot of focus on reviewing the lockdown on 07:57 - Apr 8 by Pablokuqi

If that was the case why would all exams for May and June be cancelled? Surely exams would have continued if only two weeks of school was missed.

The government have just released a list of websites for home learning this week. Why do that if schools returning on 20th April?

The Bbc reported yesterday that an academic study had concluded that the school closures didnt have a big impact either way. Think the govt said it would consider the report when next looking at it.

So there is a chance the schools will be reopened soonish. The decisions you highlight were taken before that report.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

A lot of focus on reviewing the lockdown on 08:05 - Apr 8 with 802 viewsJonBlue

A lot of focus on reviewing the lockdown on 07:57 - Apr 8 by Pablokuqi

Noggin lives and works in Norway.
A lot of focus on reviewing the lockdown on 08:07 - Apr 8 with 797 viewsPablokuqi

A lot of focus on reviewing the lockdown on 08:05 - Apr 8 by JonBlue

Noggin lives and works in Norway.

Thanks. thought must be somewhere not UK.
A lot of focus on reviewing the lockdown on 08:13 - Apr 8 with 785 viewsTractorWood

A lot of focus on reviewing the lockdown on 21:34 - Apr 7 by ElderGrizzly

Was the end of May at the absolute earliest a few days ago so that's progress.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

A lot of focus on reviewing the lockdown on 08:20 - Apr 8 with 764 viewsvapour_trail

A lot of focus on reviewing the lockdown on 08:02 - Apr 8 by bluelagos

The Bbc reported yesterday that an academic study had concluded that the school closures didnt have a big impact either way. Think the govt said it would consider the report when next looking at it.

So there is a chance the schools will be reopened soonish. The decisions you highlight were taken before that report.

Whilst this would bring me great joy, I just don’t see it.

I’d say there’s a very outside chance that at the end of the may half term break, they may reopen, but think it’s much more likely they’ll see it through to end of June and then you’re pretty much in the summer holidays.

That report has no evidence of note to support it.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

A lot of focus on reviewing the lockdown on 08:29 - Apr 8 with 746 viewsStokieBlue

A lot of focus on reviewing the lockdown on 08:20 - Apr 8 by vapour_trail

Whilst this would bring me great joy, I just don’t see it.

I’d say there’s a very outside chance that at the end of the may half term break, they may reopen, but think it’s much more likely they’ll see it through to end of June and then you’re pretty much in the summer holidays.

That report has no evidence of note to support it.

I think it's too early to say, it's going to depend on how things progress over the next few weeks.

It could easily run to the summer holidays as you say, although that's going to be hard for people still working full time and having to educate their kids (the materials from school are not enough, took 10 minutes to finish all the maths for the week).

Austria are opening schools so I guess they are going to be the test case.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

A lot of focus on reviewing the lockdown on 08:34 - Apr 8 with 735 viewshampstead_blue

Sadly I fear there will always be a portion of the population who simply don't care.
I'd hope that if the majority do follow the guidelines then the science will prevail.

It would also be fair to say that the scientists have included a 'pleb' factor in the model.

It must be really hard if you're stuck in a flat with nowhere to go.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

A lot of focus on reviewing the lockdown on 08:43 - Apr 8 with 724 viewsPablokuqi

A lot of focus on reviewing the lockdown on 08:02 - Apr 8 by bluelagos

In the original Ferguson report, it also said the school closures in themselves do not have a major impact and this new report says the same. The report seems to be looking at school closures in isolation and as not part of the bigger picture.

School closures massively break the chain because of the vast interactions which not only take place at school but on the way to school, on the way back, increased traffic on roads and the linked accidents etc. Psychologically people will think well if schools are in things mustn't really be that bad so will take their eye off the social distancing ball as it were.

There is roughly a two week incubation period from first contracting to death if that sadly occurs. We have had only had one two week lockdown cycle. The data will only just be arriving based on the lockdown now. I would imagine another two week lockdown would be the minimum.

I think schools recommencing after the first May bank holiday is a possibility but in certain areas or for certain year groups. For example Year 1 one day Year 2 or split the classes alphabetically in half to allow classroom space for social distancing to continue.

Also the government 12 week shielding of vulnerable people does incorporate school staff too. That 12 week period would take us to the end of May.

I find it interesting the media hounded the government to lock down sooner now two weeks in they are now hounding them for the exit strategy. Only on Sunday Ferguson suggested deaths could be around the 7000 mark on Marr, we are looking at 7000 deaths before the weekend.

I think we will all agree we are in unprecedented times and the government and any government would, are struggling with what to do.
A lot of focus on reviewing the lockdown on 09:54 - Apr 8 with 678 viewsr2d2

Stop watching them then. I have. 2 hours on bbc every afternoon is a bit overkill anyway. The 6pm news for 30mins is plenty to digest l would think. But the bbc have gone into overdrive, repeating and repeating and repeating. If people want that they have the 24 hour news channels. Put something on a bit more light hearted in these troubling times.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024