Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Press front pages yesterday vs what will actually happen from Monday 07:39 - May 8 with 4554 viewsDubtractor

That's a bit of a mess isn't it? The more this story unfolds the more it seems that government, in some form, has given the media the nod that big changes were coming on Monday yet in reality this just isn't the case.

Really is a shambles isn't it?

And could end up being a really dangerous shambles now unless government (and the media) manage to change the narrative.

Who knew that The Thick of It really was so accurate?!

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Press front pages yesterday vs what will actually happen from Monday on 08:06 - May 8 with 1722 viewsjas0999

I find it odd that the newspapers knew anything other than from unnamed ‘sources’. Apparently Boris didn't actually chair the meeting to firm up plans until yesterday - so how would the papers know in advance?

That said, this isn’t helpful and we are certainly receiving mixed messages. Hopes of many are likely going to be dashed. As with a lot of things, the papers have to take some responsibility for this.
Press front pages yesterday vs what will actually happen from Monday on 08:10 - May 8 with 1701 viewsTractorWood

Shambles. Standard for this Government.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Press front pages yesterday vs what will actually happen from Monday on 08:13 - May 8 with 1688 viewsm14_blue

Absolute madness.

For so long the government (rightly) resisted the temptation to discuss future easing measures because they thought (rightly) that it would lead to the breakdown of the status quo. Then bumbling Boris opens his mouth at the worst possible time, 2 days before a sunny BH weekend, to hint at, but not confirm, relaxation from Sunday.

And then desperately tries to row back on it when he realises what he’s done. If it wasn’t so serious it would be comical.

Traffic to the Lakes has increased exponentially already and Cumbria police simply can’t cope. The hospitals are already full up here and the NW Has overtaken London in terms of cases.
Height of irresponsibility on 08:14 - May 8 with 1680 viewsGuthrum

I think the press have jumped the gun - maybe trying to boost sales by what is currently the ultimate positive story. The danger being that people will take on their message instead of that of the authorities and start disregarding the lockdown. Which, especially if it leads to an upturn in infections, could result in more draconian measures being imposed.

More darkly, perhaps they (or their backers) are trying to put pressure on the Government to lift the lockdown early.

Either way, they're playing games with peoples lives and health.
[Post edited 8 May 2020 8:14]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Press front pages yesterday vs what will actually happen from Monday on 08:15 - May 8 with 1673 viewsBluefish

The level and that consistency of the leak makes me think it wasn't an accident. The government want some to enjoy their weekend and probably help to reinforce the extended lock down through their disobeying of the rules. Having had the the they should have brought the announcement forward to last night if they weren't going long with it. They just can't be in a position to allow people back out and the numbers to rise again

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Press front pages yesterday vs what will actually happen from Monday on 08:19 - May 8 with 1663 viewsDubtractor

Press front pages yesterday vs what will actually happen from Monday on 08:15 - May 8 by Bluefish

The level and that consistency of the leak makes me think it wasn't an accident. The government want some to enjoy their weekend and probably help to reinforce the extended lock down through their disobeying of the rules. Having had the the they should have brought the announcement forward to last night if they weren't going long with it. They just can't be in a position to allow people back out and the numbers to rise again

There is a cynical part of me that agrees with that line of thinking - that it is an attempt to paint the press as the bad guys, the fake media.

That said, the tone of the media splash yesterday was disgraceful, no matter what they had been leaked.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Press front pages yesterday vs what will actually happen from Monday on 08:20 - May 8 with 1663 viewsGuthrum

Press front pages yesterday vs what will actually happen from Monday on 08:15 - May 8 by Bluefish

Or none of the papers (who all spy on each other*) wanted to be left behind with breaking the story.

* For example: https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/may/01/ft-reporter-accused-of-listening-t

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Press front pages yesterday vs what will actually happen from Monday on 08:26 - May 8 with 1643 viewsitfcjoe

They were obviously briefed ahead of time, and have now been briefed differently.

Governments message discipline and management has been all over the shop, unless it is a 3 word slogan they can't seem to remember it and keep consistent, then they send no-marks out to do the press conference who aren't capable of it.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

Press front pages yesterday vs what will actually happen from Monday on 08:31 - May 8 with 1624 viewsBluefish

Press front pages yesterday vs what will actually happen from Monday on 08:26 - May 8 by itfcjoe

They were obviously briefed ahead of time, and have now been briefed differently.

Governments message discipline and management has been all over the shop, unless it is a 3 word slogan they can't seem to remember it and keep consistent, then they send no-marks out to do the press conference who aren't capable of it.

Or the government wanted to

A, increase lockdown and feared that would be unpopular for doing so without some more hospital beds full

B, wanted to test the virus and the numbers by having some people out

C, get the best of both worlds. Those that want to just read a news headline can party all weekend and those that are normal can follow advice

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Press front pages yesterday vs what will actually happen from Monday on 08:35 - May 8 with 1611 viewsbluelagos

Tell you what, having been quite happy at the idea of a relaxing on the lockdown regarding outdoor activities, I can see that the posters who argued that it could lead to some abusing it could well have a point.

Yesterday's newspapers were indicating a big reduction and it seems the govt is now rowing back on whatever stories were fed to the press the previous day.

It needs to be caredully managed and carefully communicated. Feeding the news via the press means you dont control the narrative and it doesnt bode well in that respect.

Shambles sums it up very well imho.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Press front pages yesterday vs what will actually happen from Monday on 08:38 - May 8 with 1606 viewsm14_blue

Press front pages yesterday vs what will actually happen from Monday on 08:31 - May 8 by Bluefish

Or the government wanted to

A, increase lockdown and feared that would be unpopular for doing so without some more hospital beds full

B, wanted to test the virus and the numbers by having some people out

C, get the best of both worlds. Those that want to just read a news headline can party all weekend and those that are normal can follow advice

I think you’re giving them far, far too much credit.
Press front pages yesterday vs what will actually happen from Monday on 08:38 - May 8 with 1608 viewsStokieBlue

I don't think this is entirely fair, it seems to have been all based around a leak rather than what the government actually said although totally agree they should have and need to be much clearer with their communication.

I posted this up last night but I think it was missed by most as it's far into a thread:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/may/07/no-10-scrambles-to-control-amid-

“It’s really unhelpful to have bits and pieces of information leaked,” a member of the Sage advisory committee told the Guardian. “It’s incredibly damaging. If people are primed to look at things in a certain way, it will shape how they receive the information. So on Sunday they will be looking for the green lights and they won’t notice the red lights. It’s a really powerful way of influencing people.”

It was a leak and Boris has actually been trying to manage expectations that the announcement won't be a green light for everything over the last 24 hours.

Clearer messaging is needed along with the press not acting like a bunch of children.

SB
[Post edited 8 May 2020 8:40]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Press front pages yesterday vs what will actually happen from Monday on 08:43 - May 8 with 1583 viewsitfcjoe

Press front pages yesterday vs what will actually happen from Monday on 08:38 - May 8 by StokieBlue

I don't think this is entirely fair, it seems to have been all based around a leak rather than what the government actually said although totally agree they should have and need to be much clearer with their communication.

I posted this up last night but I think it was missed by most as it's far into a thread:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/may/07/no-10-scrambles-to-control-amid-

“It’s really unhelpful to have bits and pieces of information leaked,” a member of the Sage advisory committee told the Guardian. “It’s incredibly damaging. If people are primed to look at things in a certain way, it will shape how they receive the information. So on Sunday they will be looking for the green lights and they won’t notice the red lights. It’s a really powerful way of influencing people.”

It was a leak and Boris has actually been trying to manage expectations that the announcement won't be a green light for everything over the last 24 hours.

Clearer messaging is needed along with the press not acting like a bunch of children.

SB

The papers don't run those front pages without an unofficial briefing, it was so strong - they knew what they were doing

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Press front pages yesterday vs what will actually happen from Monday on 08:43 - May 8 with 1577 viewsbluelagos

Press front pages yesterday vs what will actually happen from Monday on 08:38 - May 8 by StokieBlue

SB

You think it was a leak rather than briefings? Would put a different complexion on it.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Press front pages yesterday vs what will actually happen from Monday on 08:45 - May 8 with 1569 viewsm14_blue

SB

But Boris did say in Parliament that things could be changing from Monday and that was why he wanted to address the nation on Sunday night.

It’s obvious how that would be read by the press and the public, leaks or no leaks.
Press front pages yesterday vs what will actually happen from Monday on 08:48 - May 8 with 1564 viewspointofblue

Press front pages yesterday vs what will actually happen from Monday on 08:43 - May 8 by bluelagos

You think it was a leak rather than briefings? Would put a different complexion on it.

I agree, I think it was a leak rather than a briefing - possibly before the Government had even firmed up what Johnson is going to say. As soon as it came out ministers were keen to stress Sunday is a roadmap of small incremental changes at best rather than seeing huge lifts.

All the mainstream media care about is either viewers or profits. People’s lives are secondary at best.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Press front pages yesterday vs what will actually happen from Monday on 08:49 - May 8 with 1563 viewsStokieBlue

Press front pages yesterday vs what will actually happen from Monday on 08:43 - May 8 by itfcjoe

The papers don't run those front pages without an unofficial briefing, it was so strong - they knew what they were doing

The papers run whatever they want.

SB

Press front pages yesterday vs what will actually happen from Monday on 08:50 - May 8 with 1561 viewsStokieBlue

Press front pages yesterday vs what will actually happen from Monday on 08:43 - May 8 by bluelagos

I didn't say it was a leak. The quote directly from a member of SAGE has said it was a leak.

It's in the quote I posted and the article.

I don't know the source, just passing on the information and saying if true then it's not entirely the governments fault. They have still been rubbish on communication though.

SB

Press front pages yesterday vs what will actually happen from Monday on 08:51 - May 8 with 1561 viewsStokieBlue

Press front pages yesterday vs what will actually happen from Monday on 08:45 - May 8 by m14_blue

But Boris did say in Parliament that things could be changing from Monday and that was why he wanted to address the nation on Sunday night.

It’s obvious how that would be read by the press and the public, leaks or no leaks.

Saying things are changing is a long way from the wild stories the media have been running. Given he is constantly asked by Starmer when the restrictions will be eased and for a roadmap what is he supposed to say?

If he ignored Starmers questions he would also be criticised for that.

The blame here is shared but in my mind the press have been awful.

SB

Press front pages yesterday vs what will actually happen from Monday on 08:51 - May 8 with 1558 viewsTractorWood

SB

The BBC ran a story saying it was widely expected that it was being eased. Boris said it in PMQ. It's 100% a Boris gaffe.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.sky.com/story/amp/coronavirus-uk-could-get-goi

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Press front pages yesterday vs what will actually happen from Monday on 08:54 - May 8 with 1545 viewsStokieBlue

Press front pages yesterday vs what will actually happen from Monday on 08:51 - May 8 by TractorWood

The BBC ran a story saying it was widely expected that it was being eased. Boris said it in PMQ. It's 100% a Boris gaffe.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.sky.com/story/amp/coronavirus-uk-could-get-goi

From your own article:

"We'll want if we possibly can to get going with some of these measures on Monday,"

"I think it would be a good thing if people had an idea of what's coming the following day."

"He did not spell out exactly how or which strict distancing measures will be tweaked."

So he didn't lay out anything and it was a response to Starmer. If he had ignored the question you'd be all over him about that as well.

I am not defending the government in general, they have had horrible communication but I feel this one is on the press and people who want to use it to attack the government clearly are.

SB

Press front pages yesterday vs what will actually happen from Monday on 08:56 - May 8 with 1535 viewspointofblue

Press front pages yesterday vs what will actually happen from Monday on 08:51 - May 8 by StokieBlue

Saying things are changing is a long way from the wild stories the media have been running. Given he is constantly asked by Starmer when the restrictions will be eased and for a roadmap what is he supposed to say?

SB

I’ve actually been hugely unimpressed with Starmer on this actually - he was the one who started the lifting debate and, although his requests have receded for now, the genie is out of the bottle. Being in opposition is still an exceptionally responsible role and he failed miserably with this one.

The Government has had enough issues for him to probe, query and push without creating one unnecessarily.
[Post edited 8 May 2020 8:57]

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Press front pages yesterday vs what will actually happen from Monday on 08:58 - May 8 with 1523 viewsm14_blue

Press front pages yesterday vs what will actually happen from Monday on 08:51 - May 8 by StokieBlue

SB

He should have just said what they’ve been saying all along. Or he should have said what the changes were likely to be, vaguely hinting at positive changes but saying he would clarify on Sunday is an absurd position that would only have one outcome, particularly ahead of a BH weekend.

I don’t agree with Starmer constantly asking either, seems a bit populist for my liking.
Press front pages yesterday vs what will actually happen from Monday on 08:59 - May 8 with 1518 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Press front pages yesterday vs what will actually happen from Monday on 08:13 - May 8 by m14_blue

Absolute madness.

For so long the government (rightly) resisted the temptation to discuss future easing measures because they thought (rightly) that it would lead to the breakdown of the status quo. Then bumbling Boris opens his mouth at the worst possible time, 2 days before a sunny BH weekend, to hint at, but not confirm, relaxation from Sunday.

And then desperately tries to row back on it when he realises what he’s done. If it wasn’t so serious it would be comical.

Traffic to the Lakes has increased exponentially already and Cumbria police simply can’t cope. The hospitals are already full up here and the NW Has overtaken London in terms of cases.

It's almost like the nation consists of London!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Press front pages yesterday vs what will actually happen from Monday on 08:59 - May 8 with 1521 viewsMullet

Press front pages yesterday vs what will actually happen from Monday on 08:54 - May 8 by StokieBlue

From your own article:

"We'll want if we possibly can to get going with some of these measures on Monday,"

"I think it would be a good thing if people had an idea of what's coming the following day."

"He did not spell out exactly how or which strict distancing measures will be tweaked."

So he didn't lay out anything and it was a response to Starmer. If he had ignored the question you'd be all over him about that as well.

I am not defending the government in general, they have had horrible communication but I feel this one is on the press and people who want to use it to attack the government clearly are.

SB

This is another case of Boris’ stage managed persona and personal flaws coming back to bite him isn’t it?

People are desperate to hear there is an end in sight, and some are just ignoring lockdown anyway now. There is a sense not just in that interaction, but overall that Boris wants to be the man to deliver the big rousing ‘freedom” speech and asap too. This all feels like he’s had the press softened up to keep up sympathetic reporting as much as possible.

The usual allies have all been critical recently I suspect someone as egocentric as Boris couldn’t handle that and this us the result.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024