Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
League One cap proposals 10:18 - May 20 with 4398 viewsmonty_radio

According to Telegraph, and as from 2021:

1) Total squad salary bill £2.5m

2) 20 senior players only in squad (age 21+)

3) Of whom 8 are home-grown

You'd think that last requirement would require 2/3 seasons to implement, and also ensure a gradual, but massive drop in standards
[Post edited 20 May 2020 10:25]

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

League One cap proposals on 11:51 - May 20 with 1155 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

League One cap proposals on 11:48 - May 20 by Radlett_blue

There's always an exception, unfortunately, which keeps people chasing the dream e.g Sheffield United going up without a huge wage bill, while Leicester fluking the PL title will also keep the supporters of the large number of PL also-rans continuing to dream.

Yes, the Sheff Utd example is the hook that keeps all gamblers addicted.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

League One cap proposals on 12:21 - May 20 with 1132 viewsIpswichKnight

League One cap proposals on 11:06 - May 20 by Pinewoodblue

A problem with enforcement for relegated clubs who have contracts to honour.

It will have to be something that comes into force in a few years time, mainly so that all clubs are aware and they can change T&C's of contracts to enforce it. However still needs to be a stick by which to beat those who don't enforce the changes for example anyone over the budget has to pay the surplus to the other teams in the league ( shared out equally ) you can break the wage cap if you want but it will cost you.
League One cap proposals on 12:23 - May 20 with 1130 viewsRadlett_blue

League One cap proposals on 12:21 - May 20 by IpswichKnight

It will have to be something that comes into force in a few years time, mainly so that all clubs are aware and they can change T&C's of contracts to enforce it. However still needs to be a stick by which to beat those who don't enforce the changes for example anyone over the budget has to pay the surplus to the other teams in the league ( shared out equally ) you can break the wage cap if you want but it will cost you.

But as we saw with QPR & their flat refusal to pay their FFP fine after being relegated back to the Championship, you can regulate all you like but it's often near impossible to extract money from financially challenged football clubs.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

League One cap proposals on 12:28 - May 20 with 1123 viewsflimflam

League One cap proposals on 11:12 - May 20 by Marshalls_Mullet

Massive drop in standards is very questionable.

Currently we would have;

Downes
Lankester
Woolfenden
Dozzell
Dobra
El Miz
Bishop
Nydam

...and thats just the decent ones.

I'd be all for those measures that have been suggested.

MGavin, Simpson, Morris and Folami should be pushing for the squad next season

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

League One cap proposals on 12:39 - May 20 with 1108 viewsmonty_radio

League One cap proposals on 12:28 - May 20 by flimflam

MGavin, Simpson, Morris and Folami should be pushing for the squad next season

Fine for us then - but I think that the balance of 8 home-grown players out of a squad of 20 could do no other than to alter the feel of L1. It would become more like U 23 - which the majority on here, and elsewhere. don't attend because, as our grizzled managers like to point out, it's tippy tappy football.

Given also that we have regularly seen how injury-prone are young players when thrown in to the men's game (Dozzell, Lankester, Nydam, KVY, Morris) it could prove decimating for weaker teams with poorer medical facilities. Can't see that the package would do anything but reduce L1 and L2 to nurseries or B teams in the long run.

League One cap proposals on 12:57 - May 20 with 1092 viewsPinewoodblue

League One cap proposals on 12:39 - May 20 by monty_radio

Fine for us then - but I think that the balance of 8 home-grown players out of a squad of 20 could do no other than to alter the feel of L1. It would become more like U 23 - which the majority on here, and elsewhere. don't attend because, as our grizzled managers like to point out, it's tippy tappy football.

Given also that we have regularly seen how injury-prone are young players when thrown in to the men's game (Dozzell, Lankester, Nydam, KVY, Morris) it could prove decimating for weaker teams with poorer medical facilities. Can't see that the package would do anything but reduce L1 and L2 to nurseries or B teams in the long run.

What exactly do they mean by ‘home grown’ I’m sure they don’t mean product of a clubs own academy.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

League One cap proposals on 13:00 - May 20 with 1086 viewsmattrolow

On the face of it, it makes sense because football can't carry on how it's going.

But I don't see how it works in reality.

Say L1 gets set at £2.5m, if The Championship don't have a wage cap, teams that come down will just go straight back up again with their year transition period they're given. Be like parachute payments on steroids.

So you set a wage cap in The Champ to stop this happening...no chance The Prem are going to agree with one in line with this as they'll get destroyed by the rest of Europe.

Just going to create a huge divide and one we're going to be on the wrong side of!
League One cap proposals on 13:02 - May 20 with 1080 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

League One cap proposals on 11:22 - May 20 by JakeITFC

That's one way to come up with a Premier League 2 I guess.

It will be the end of the football league as we know it.
PL 2 has been on the cards. No relegation!
Login to get fewer ads

League One cap proposals on 13:05 - May 20 with 1081 viewsElderGrizzly

£50k a week to cover an entire squad seems very very low?
League One cap proposals on 13:10 - May 20 with 1079 viewsitfcjoe

Anything not linked to turn over is a waste of time and shouldn't happen.

When teams who get 30k fans are limited to the same salary as teams that get 3k fans it is stupid.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

League One cap proposals on 13:12 - May 20 with 1073 viewsElderGrizzly

League One cap proposals on 13:10 - May 20 by itfcjoe

Anything not linked to turn over is a waste of time and shouldn't happen.

When teams who get 30k fans are limited to the same salary as teams that get 3k fans it is stupid.

Especially when Champ clubs coming down in this proposal get a free pass for a season. It would make the league woefully uncompetitive.

For context, our wage bill is probably 2.5 times this proposed cap.

It would need a monumental shift in wage levels for this to come in and work
League One cap proposals on 13:14 - May 20 with 1065 viewsmonty_radio

League One cap proposals on 12:57 - May 20 by Pinewoodblue

What exactly do they mean by ‘home grown’ I’m sure they don’t mean product of a clubs own academy.

What else might they mean?

League One cap proposals on 13:31 - May 20 with 1055 viewsRadlett_blue

League One cap proposals on 13:12 - May 20 by ElderGrizzly

Especially when Champ clubs coming down in this proposal get a free pass for a season. It would make the league woefully uncompetitive.

For context, our wage bill is probably 2.5 times this proposed cap.

It would need a monumental shift in wage levels for this to come in and work

Football needs a monumental shift in wage levels & this crisis could be what brings it about, especially if there is no football with crowds in 2020.

League One cap proposals on 13:38 - May 20 with 1045 viewsChrisd

League One cap proposals on 11:03 - May 20 by Pendejo

Disagree on a drop in standards.

Less likely to stockpile average overpaid players, easier gateway for breathru from youths.

Remember Hanson proclaiming "you'll never win anything with kids"?

That's exactly part of our problem currently.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

League One cap proposals on 14:00 - May 20 with 1033 viewstractorboy1978

League One cap proposals on 13:38 - May 20 by Chrisd

That's exactly part of our problem currently.

Quite and Dozzell seems the prime example. One of the first names on the teamsheet at every England youth level yet has he ever had more than a couple of starts back to back for us?
League One cap proposals on 14:08 - May 20 with 1028 viewsmonty_radio

League One cap proposals on 14:00 - May 20 by tractorboy1978

Quite and Dozzell seems the prime example. One of the first names on the teamsheet at every England youth level yet has he ever had more than a couple of starts back to back for us?

So are you criticising us for not playing him, or those who make greater claims for youth than their current performances warrant? Enthusiasm on here as noticeably dropped over a succession of his innocuous performances. Not saying he won't come good, but that at the moment he is more a proof that youth is not the answer, than that it is.

Personally, I'm a fan back from his regular Playford Rd days, but his inclusion in some posters lists as the basis of some great future side is wishful thinking. L1 will look very different if it comes to resemble the U23s. It promises only subsidiary status.

Incidentally, re Andre, many on here advocate playing to his strengths as a deep-lying playmaker, adjusting the team to fit.

Question: what do Mills, Wark and Stockwell have in common?
Answer: enduring careers; longstanding fans' favourites, played in many different roles and were very good at all of them.

[Post edited 20 May 2020 14:24]

League One cap proposals on 14:18 - May 20 with 1020 viewstractorboy1978

League One cap proposals on 14:08 - May 20 by monty_radio

So are you criticising us for not playing him, or those who make greater claims for youth than their current performances warrant? Enthusiasm on here as noticeably dropped over a succession of his innocuous performances. Not saying he won't come good, but that at the moment he is more a proof that youth is not the answer, than that it is.

Personally, I'm a fan back from his regular Playford Rd days, but his inclusion in some posters lists as the basis of some great future side is wishful thinking. L1 will look very different if it comes to resemble the U23s. It promises only subsidiary status.

Incidentally, re Andre, many on here advocate playing to his strengths as a deep-lying playmaker, adjusting the team to fit.

Question: what do Mills, Wark and Stockwell have in common?
Answer: enduring careers; longstanding fans' favourites, played in many different roles and were very good at all of them.

[Post edited 20 May 2020 14:24]

I'm saying that we continue to sign and play "average" players rather than trust those that are coming through our academy - hopefully that changes.

I'm not sure you can say he is proof that youth is not the answer when he hasn't been given a consistent opportunity. I understand that he hasn't pulled up trees when he has played but it's not an easy task to come into and stamp your mark on a side where you and the players around you are constantly being rotated and you have no chance to build any continuity. Has Dozzell really done less than Huws or Nolan when he has played?

IMO next season we need to be getting the likes of Dozzell, El Mizouni, Dobra, Lankester, Nydam alongside Downes/Woolfy (if still here) and playing more regularly. We need to have a plan for integrating these players.
[Post edited 20 May 2020 14:47]
League One cap proposals on 14:25 - May 20 with 1019 viewshaynes_toe1

I don't think our young players are anywhere near as good as some of our fans like to think, unfortunately. For starters, half wouldn't be here still if they were.
League One cap proposals on 14:38 - May 20 with 1003 viewsRadlett_blue

League One cap proposals on 14:25 - May 20 by haynes_toe1

I don't think our young players are anywhere near as good as some of our fans like to think, unfortunately. For starters, half wouldn't be here still if they were.

You may be right, but equally we unloaded Hourihane, Rhodes & Marriott without taking the trouble to find out if they were up to it.

League One cap proposals on 14:49 - May 20 with 999 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I dont think most fans think they are amazing.

But there are definately 8 of them good enough for League 1, and a few good enough for the Champ.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

League One cap proposals on 14:52 - May 20 with 998 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

League One cap proposals on 13:05 - May 20 by ElderGrizzly

£50k a week to cover an entire squad seems very very low?

Realistically it isn't low in normal economic terms.

Its commensurate with the standard of football, and with the income they generate.

It is low compared to the Premier League and the car crash that is the Championship.

£50k per week is where it needs to be to be sustainable.

Unfortunately, we all know that sustainability is way down the list of priorities.

League One cap proposals on 15:23 - May 20 with 978 viewsIpswichKnight

League One cap proposals on 14:49 - May 20 by Marshalls_Mullet

I dont think most fans think they are amazing.

But there are definately 8 of them good enough for League 1, and a few good enough for the Champ.

Andy Warrens piece on Dobra on the EADT Website is proof enough he's good enough to be in the mix for the Albanian 1st team he's more than good enough to play in our 1st team!
League One cap proposals on 15:32 - May 20 with 974 viewstractorboy1978

I actually think (and maybe it's because we've been blessed in the past) that fans hold our own academy graduates to higher standards than they do players we sign. We are in L1 - they have to be good enough to be solid, decent L1 players. If they are better than that then that is a bonus.
[Post edited 20 May 2020 15:34]
League One cap proposals on 15:35 - May 20 with 968 viewsitfcjoe

League One cap proposals on 14:52 - May 20 by Marshalls_Mullet

Realistically it isn't low in normal economic terms.

Its commensurate with the standard of football, and with the income they generate.

It is low compared to the Premier League and the car crash that is the Championship.

£50k per week is where it needs to be to be sustainable.

Unfortunately, we all know that sustainability is way down the list of priorities.

How can the same budget be proposed as sustainable for Sunderland and Accrington?

One is covered 2 times over by gate receipts, the other is higher than its turnover

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

League One cap proposals on 15:40 - May 20 with 959 viewsmonty_radio

League One cap proposals on 15:32 - May 20 by tractorboy1978

I actually think (and maybe it's because we've been blessed in the past) that fans hold our own academy graduates to higher standards than they do players we sign. We are in L1 - they have to be good enough to be solid, decent L1 players. If they are better than that then that is a bonus.
[Post edited 20 May 2020 15:34]

Yet really only two have recently advanced to the status of undroppable. Those hardened L1 professionals have served Mick's grim apprenticeship, as many a stalwart centre-half has shown us this season.

I'm old enough to remember many of our legends strolling fully-fledged into men's football. Not saying that's a reasonable expectation, but so far, of the current crop, only Downes has ever taken consecutive games by the scruff of the neck.
[Post edited 20 May 2020 15:56]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024