Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I'd be fine with Jackson going 08:56 - May 22 with 3935 viewsIPSWICHFANITFC

He has had a good season - 11 goals and 7 assists is very good. Not the easiest to replace the 18 goal contributions he's made but in my opinion, I feel Jackson is just that type of striker to tire defenders. There's nothing technical to his game, he's not a finisher and he's easily replaceable.

If you want that dog type forward to tire defenders out and work the back 4 all game, then that lad up top for Wycombe, Alex Samuel, is his replacement.

But I feel Sears or Dobra comfortably replace Jackson already - without looking at recruiting.

Poll: If selling Jackson meant getting in a wide man, would you be happy with Garbutt?

I'd be fine with Jackson going on 09:01 - May 22 with 2369 viewsdavblue

Samuel, not for me. He's a back up striker for Wycombe Wanderers, who doesn't score goals.

We need a target man type who can hold the ball up.
I'd be fine with Jackson going on 09:04 - May 22 with 2366 viewsitfcjoe

I don't know why Jackson seems to be rated so poorly by our fanbase, maybe because of a poor start?

11 goals and 7 assists is a very good return in 28 starts. They show he clearly does a lot more than just tire defenders out - as a comparison Alex Samuel has scored 10 league goals in his career and is 24. H looked good against us, but that performance clearly an outlier.

Dobra isn't anything like the same sort of player, and Sears may never get back to his best after his injury.

For a team that has been so short of goals, selling our joint top scorer and biggest assister is mad

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

I'd be fine with Jackson going on 09:04 - May 22 with 2345 viewsIPSWICHFANITFC

I'd be fine with Jackson going on 09:01 - May 22 by davblue

Samuel, not for me. He's a back up striker for Wycombe Wanderers, who doesn't score goals.

We need a target man type who can hold the ball up.

I thought he worked our back 3 all game on New Years Day. He's the type you don't want to come up against as a defender - not a second to relax, always keeps you on your toes as he just runs and runs and runs.

I'm not saying necessarily Samuel himself, but Samuel and Jackson are fairly similar in the way they chase and tire.

Poll: If selling Jackson meant getting in a wide man, would you be happy with Garbutt?

I'd be fine with Jackson going on 09:04 - May 22 with 2342 viewsWickets

Well i think we can keep him for the next 2 seasons if we want, so the only descision is do we want to cash in and with the money in the game after lockdown likely to be tight maybe best keep him even if he stalls on a new deal .
I'd be fine with Jackson going on 09:08 - May 22 with 2313 viewsWallingford_Boy

Why would anyone buy him?

RIP Sir Bobby

I'd be fine with Jackson going on 09:09 - May 22 with 2313 viewsMullet

I'm neither a massive fan or detractor but it shows how badly our season has gone that Jackson is far and away our best striker. That the second best was Jordan Roberts at Gillingham shows how criminally inept we've been to not get a tune out of Norwood, Judge and Keane, let alone the rest of the squad.

It's a big gamble that may redefine the squad and end the problem Lambert had with wanting to play 1 up top but not being able to drop Jackson or accommodate him and Norwood etc.

To be honest it all seems so far away and insignificant in many ways right now, that whatever we do it'll be fine to just turn up and see how it goes.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

I'd be fine with Jackson going on 09:13 - May 22 with 2276 viewsGuthrum

I'd be fine with Jackson going on 09:04 - May 22 by itfcjoe

I don't know why Jackson seems to be rated so poorly by our fanbase, maybe because of a poor start?

11 goals and 7 assists is a very good return in 28 starts. They show he clearly does a lot more than just tire defenders out - as a comparison Alex Samuel has scored 10 league goals in his career and is 24. H looked good against us, but that performance clearly an outlier.

Dobra isn't anything like the same sort of player, and Sears may never get back to his best after his injury.

For a team that has been so short of goals, selling our joint top scorer and biggest assister is mad

And something we've lived to regret before.

If nothing else, whty sell a player we don't need to and pay out to replace him with someone (according to the OP) pretty much the same? I doubt Jackson would fetch the enormous fee needed to justify something like that, especially if most clubs are skint post-Covid. Once agent's fees and everything else are added in, I doubt we'd make any profit.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

I'd be fine with Jackson going on 09:15 - May 22 with 2267 viewsKieran_Knows

I suspect for Evans he's probably one of our only sell-able assets at the moment as well, which may come in to it.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Login to get fewer ads

I'd be fine with Jackson going on 09:15 - May 22 with 2262 viewsIPSWICHFANITFC

It's not a lack of effort or work rate, I appreciate his work rate a lot, but as a footballer, I have question marks on his technical ability and how he can develop. His first touch, link up play, hold up play, positioning - in comparison to Keane who is fantastic at this, has quality much better than League One, who has just been plagued by injuries.

Sears can be that type of striker to tire defenders. He doesn't do a lot, but he is a finisher. Jordan Roberts was another I felt could tire defenders and never make it easy. I'd probably put him in the Alex Samuel category - not a goalscorer but he's busy.

Dobra is an interesting one. He and Bishop are the only one's I feel are comfortable at receiving the ball and wanting to beat a man. I'm not sure of your view on this Joe?

We need 2 or 3 Dobra's in the line up to progress as an attacking side. Lankester is very one foot and playing on the right he did cut back on to his left a lot and looked predictable, but he had ability - is he more suited to being in the 10 role?

I'd be fine with Jackson going on 09:18 - May 22 with 2229 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

I'd be fine with Jackson going on 09:15 - May 22 by Kieran_Knows

I suspect for Evans he's probably one of our only sell-able assets at the moment as well, which may come in to it.

Downes, Woolfenden and evening Dozzell want a word

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

I'd be fine with Jackson going on 09:18 - May 22 with 2222 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

But selling our best strikers has worked out brilliantly for us of late

I'd be fine with Jackson going on 09:20 - May 22 with 2223 viewsSwansea_Blue

I'd be fine with Jackson going on 09:08 - May 22 by Wallingford_Boy

Because he works his balls off, creates space for other players to play in and can both score and create in this league?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

I'd be fine with Jackson going on 09:21 - May 22 with 2217 viewsKieran_Knows

I'd be fine with Jackson going on 09:18 - May 22 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Downes, Woolfenden and evening Dozzell want a word

Well, that's why I said 'one of'.
[Post edited 22 May 2020 9:21]

I'd be fine with Jackson going on 09:24 - May 22 with 2178 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

I'd be fine with Jackson going on 09:21 - May 22 by Kieran_Knows

Well, that's why I said 'one of'.
[Post edited 22 May 2020 9:21]

I assume Woolf or Downes would be most likely - ideally the former. Although it remains to be seen what the impact of COVID-19 is on the transfer market, and may be that if Evans needs to plug a large hole that more than one of those will need to go, unfortunately

I'd be fine with Jackson going on 09:26 - May 22 with 2175 viewsKieran_Knows

I'd be fine with Jackson going on 09:24 - May 22 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I assume Woolf or Downes would be most likely - ideally the former. Although it remains to be seen what the impact of COVID-19 is on the transfer market, and may be that if Evans needs to plug a large hole that more than one of those will need to go, unfortunately

I can see them all going, unfortunately, and probably for a lot less than what their worth is (as you say, Evans will need to plug that hole one way or the other). Suspect if Dobra kicks on this/next season, we'll be in a similar position with him as well.

These are the days

I'd be fine with Jackson going on 09:29 - May 22 with 2156 viewstractorboy1978

I'd be fine with Jackson going on 09:24 - May 22 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I guess we will also see in time what the market looks like for players. I would assume (perhaps naively) the Championship won't be awash with cash next season and that would be the obvious place for Woolf/Downes to go.

I think that Woolf needs another year personally.
I'd be fine with Jackson going on 09:30 - May 22 with 2161 viewsPhilTWTD

He's done OK in this division but do you think he's shown enough to suggest he's Championship quality? Would be very surprised if there were clubs at that level interested in him.
I'd be fine with Jackson going on 09:31 - May 22 with 2144 viewsWallingford_Boy

I'd be fine with Jackson going on 09:20 - May 22 by Swansea_Blue

Because he works his balls off, creates space for other players to play in and can both score and create in this league?

He makes good diagonal runs at pace when he doesn't have the ball, which yes, does create space for others. But thats it.

Give him the ball and oops.

He scored a few when we were flying and the wing backs were creating loads of chances, but so did Norwood and look how that went.

He's not very good.

RIP Sir Bobby

I'd be fine with Jackson going on 09:32 - May 22 with 2131 viewsSwansea_Blue

I'd be fine with Jackson going on 09:31 - May 22 by Wallingford_Boy

He makes good diagonal runs at pace when he doesn't have the ball, which yes, does create space for others. But thats it.

Give him the ball and oops.

He scored a few when we were flying and the wing backs were creating loads of chances, but so did Norwood and look how that went.

He's not very good.

Agreed, he's not very good but is still far from one of our worse players. That's the problem.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

I'd be fine with Jackson going on 09:46 - May 22 with 2083 viewsitfcjoe

I'd be fine with Jackson going on 09:30 - May 22 by PhilTWTD

He's done OK in this division but do you think he's shown enough to suggest he's Championship quality? Would be very surprised if there were clubs at that level interested in him.

Blackburn were in for him in January from what I’ve heard.

He has searing pace and keeps a cool head when out wide to pick out passes in the middle, seems perfect for the more modern role of a wide striker at the higher levels

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

I'd be fine with Jackson going on 09:48 - May 22 with 2059 viewsFixed_It

I'd be fine with Jackson going on 09:46 - May 22 by itfcjoe

Blackburn were in for him in January from what I’ve heard.

He has searing pace and keeps a cool head when out wide to pick out passes in the middle, seems perfect for the more modern role of a wide striker at the higher levels

We took a punt on a much rawer version when we were in the Championship. He has improved since then - he just wasn't ready for the step-up when it came initially and looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights when he first arrived.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

I'd be fine with Jackson going on 09:51 - May 22 with 2037 viewsArnieM

I'd be fine with Jackson going on 09:08 - May 22 by Wallingford_Boy

Wouldn’t have to would they , nearly all our players leave on a free .

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

I'd be fine with Jackson going on 09:55 - May 22 with 2003 viewsPJH

I'd be fine with Jackson going on 09:48 - May 22 by Fixed_It

We took a punt on a much rawer version when we were in the Championship. He has improved since then - he just wasn't ready for the step-up when it came initially and looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights when he first arrived.

I agree.

Like all of Hurst's signings he did not look good enough for The Championship last season but he has certainly improved and has had a relatively good season in League One.

I think he could do well in The Championship if and when he gets a second go at it.

As to whether we should consider selling, I don't think letting our best striker go is a good idea if it can be avoided.
I'd be fine with Jackson going on 09:55 - May 22 with 2000 viewsdavblue

I think he's ok, but nothing more than that.

I would be interested to see how he would do in a team that does create chances, i think this is his level though, his technical ability is too limited for the Championship. his first touch isn't great.
I'd be fine with Jackson going on 09:58 - May 22 with 1972 viewsArnieM

I'd be fine with Jackson going on 09:55 - May 22 by PJH

I agree.

Like all of Hurst's signings he did not look good enough for The Championship last season but he has certainly improved and has had a relatively good season in League One.

I think he could do well in The Championship if and when he gets a second go at it.

As to whether we should consider selling, I don't think letting our best striker go is a good idea if it can be avoided.

I’d agree with that. The other thing to consider is the whole situation. Norwood and Jackson have a naturally affinity / partnership. It would be folly to break that up.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024