Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The BBC apologise for Emily Maitlis. 19:19 - May 27 with 9392 viewstractordownsouth

What a load of nonsense. Nothing she said was inaccurate

Dominic Cummings broke the rules - FACT

He's made many people feel they can flout the rules - FACT, the police have said people have used Cummings as an excuse when being told off for breaking the rules

Public mood is anger at Cummings - FACT, literally all opinion polls have a large majority for him to resign, or at least apologise

As Mr O'Brien says, you cannot balance fact with fiction.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

The BBC apologise for Emily Maitlis. on 20:24 - May 27 with 1649 viewsTrequartista

The BBC apologise for Emily Maitlis. on 20:19 - May 27 by bluelagos

I disagree with reference to the trip to Barnard Castle. They were out of isolation so there were only 1 of 4 reasons (by law) to leave the house.

Work, exercise, shopping or medical need. None of those were in place so this family trip was in breach of the law as far as I can tell.

The clause about protecting the vulnerable child would no longer apply as they were out of isolation and he was no longer in a vulnerable position.

Agree again, but i think he argues it is for work, i.e. to travel back, and that the first trip was necessary for the second. As I said at the time, that was Prince Andrew territory in credibility, but I am just saying, as it stands it is not fact.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

The BBC apologise for Emily Maitlis. on 20:26 - May 27 with 1634 viewsbluelagos

The BBC apologise for Emily Maitlis. on 20:22 - May 27 by Swansea_Blue

He/she is trolling over a point of semantics despite disagreeing with the point he/she is arguing for. A waste of everybody’s time.

Two people I know are adamant Cummings didnt break the rules. One I suspect is trolling me, the other, my budgie neighbour is just a bit stupid. But he hears what he likes and kind of ignores what he doesn't. Suppose we all do that a bit but it is frustrating.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

The BBC apologise for Emily Maitlis. on 20:26 - May 27 with 1636 viewsTrequartista

The BBC apologise for Emily Maitlis. on 20:22 - May 27 by Swansea_Blue

He/she is trolling over a point of semantics despite disagreeing with the point he/she is arguing for. A waste of everybody’s time.

I am not trolling, it is people jumping to the wrong conclusion that is the problem. I saw someone say it was FACT and i wanted to point out that, regrettably, it is not fact.

The BBC apologise for Emily Maitlis. on 20:29 - May 27 with 1621 viewstractordownsouth

The BBC apologise for Emily Maitlis. on 20:26 - May 27 by Trequartista

I am not trolling, it is people jumping to the wrong conclusion that is the problem. I saw someone say it was FACT and i wanted to point out that, regrettably, it is not fact.

Sad you weren't a fan of my Rafa Benitez impression

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

The BBC apologise for Emily Maitlis. on 20:31 - May 27 with 1615 viewssparks

The BBC apologise for Emily Maitlis. on 20:04 - May 27 by Trequartista

It says "we are aware that not all these measures will be possible."

Before we continue an argument that may not exist, let me repeat what i've said elsewhere on the thread.

It is in the opinion of Mr Cummings that this clause means he hasn't broken the rules, it is in my opinion he has broken the rules, but this doesn't mean it is a fact.

Actually- I am content to say that it is a fact.

His explanation sought to conflate "not always possible" with "if there is a childcare issue, use your judgment". The two phrases are not remotely equivalent.

At no stage, did compliance become "impossible". Ergo the rule was broken.

It was broken again with the trip to barnards castle, which was plainly not "essential", not least because even if one takes the account at face value, his wife could have taken over driving if he felt in difficulty en route to London.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

The BBC apologise for Emily Maitlis. on 20:52 - May 27 with 1577 viewsSwansea_Blue

The BBC apologise for Emily Maitlis. on 20:26 - May 27 by Trequartista

He admitted to breaking the lockdown rule and law (and probably a driving one too, although we all know he wasn’t checking his eyesight).

Edit - although, his account contradicts his Mrs’, so there’s a good chance he’s lying about all of it (or she is). Based on what he’s said he broke the rules, but that doesn’t mean he did what he said.
[Post edited 27 May 2020 21:00]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The BBC apologise for Emily Maitlis. on 20:54 - May 27 with 1570 viewsTrequartista

The BBC apologise for Emily Maitlis. on 20:31 - May 27 by sparks

Actually- I am content to say that it is a fact.

His explanation sought to conflate "not always possible" with "if there is a childcare issue, use your judgment". The two phrases are not remotely equivalent.

At no stage, did compliance become "impossible". Ergo the rule was broken.

It was broken again with the trip to barnards castle, which was plainly not "essential", not least because even if one takes the account at face value, his wife could have taken over driving if he felt in difficulty en route to London.

"not always possible" doesn't have to mean "use your judgement".

"Keep following this advice to the best of your ability, however, we are aware that not all these measures will be possible." can be interpreted as downgrading rules to guidelines i.e. these are rules but they can be broken in certain circumstances.

It is so vague that leaves it open to interpretation about what those circumstances are. I don't think the circumstances warranted it, so i think he has broken the rules, but he does think they warranted it.

The BBC apologise for Emily Maitlis. on 20:54 - May 27 with 1575 viewsLankHenners

She's now been dropped from tonight's programme.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/may/27/bbc-switches-emily-maitlis-in-news

I've never been one for a lot of the BBC-bashing that goes around but on matters like this they're an utter disgrace. As the article points out, they get themselves tied up in knots over and over again on stuff like this and at best makes them look incompetent.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Login to get fewer ads

The BBC apologise for Emily Maitlis. on 21:00 - May 27 with 1534 viewsTrequartista

The BBC apologise for Emily Maitlis. on 20:52 - May 27 by Swansea_Blue

He admitted to breaking the lockdown rule and law (and probably a driving one too, although we all know he wasn’t checking his eyesight).

Edit - although, his account contradicts his Mrs’, so there’s a good chance he’s lying about all of it (or she is). Based on what he’s said he broke the rules, but that doesn’t mean he did what he said.

He said he'd followed the guidelines and behaved reasonably and legally in his statement, i don't know what he might have said since.

The BBC apologise for Emily Maitlis. on 21:01 - May 27 with 1526 viewsSwansea_Blue

The BBC apologise for Emily Maitlis. on 21:00 - May 27 by Trequartista

He said he'd followed the guidelines and behaved reasonably and legally in his statement, i don't know what he might have said since.

Yeah, while describing events that were in breach of the rules. That’s the whole issue - they’re lying.

The BBC apologise for Emily Maitlis. on 21:02 - May 27 with 1520 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

The BBC apologise for Emily Maitlis. on 19:52 - May 27 by Swansea_Blue

Yep, because it’s complete bollox.

I don't think Trekkers is trying to defend DC, I think he is trying to highlight the technicality that has been used.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

The BBC apologise for Emily Maitlis. on 21:02 - May 27 with 1521 viewssparks

The BBC apologise for Emily Maitlis. on 20:54 - May 27 by Trequartista

"not always possible" doesn't have to mean "use your judgement".

"Keep following this advice to the best of your ability, however, we are aware that not all these measures will be possible." can be interpreted as downgrading rules to guidelines i.e. these are rules but they can be broken in certain circumstances.

It is so vague that leaves it open to interpretation about what those circumstances are. I don't think the circumstances warranted it, so i think he has broken the rules, but he does think they warranted it.

No- it means he still broke them- no matter what status you give them. The wording is clear.

What is perhaps less clear is that any offence was committed- given that the regulations talk of breaching a restriction "without reasonable excuse".

Though that cannot possibly apply to Barnards Castle...

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

The BBC apologise for Emily Maitlis. on 21:02 - May 27 with 1518 viewsTrequartista

The BBC apologise for Emily Maitlis. on 20:29 - May 27 by tractordownsouth

Sad you weren't a fan of my Rafa Benitez impression

It might be your opinion that i didn't like your impression, but it is not fact

The BBC apologise for Emily Maitlis. on 21:02 - May 27 with 1517 viewsSwansea_Blue

The BBC apologise for Emily Maitlis. on 20:54 - May 27 by LankHenners

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/may/27/bbc-switches-emily-maitlis-in-news

I've never been one for a lot of the BBC-bashing that goes around but on matters like this they're an utter disgrace. As the article points out, they get themselves tied up in knots over and over again on stuff like this and at best makes them look incompetent.

Disgusting. Shame on the BBC.

The BBC apologise for Emily Maitlis. on 21:11 - May 27 with 1490 viewsDarth_Koont

Unfortunately they come across as a deeply flawed and compromised organisation in terms of speaking truth to power.

They should stick to local news, radio and light entertainment. And use Reuters for everything else.

Pronouns: He/Him

The BBC apologise for Emily Maitlis. on 21:15 - May 27 with 1478 viewsjeera

Holy sh1t! She's been replaced!?

I think she's really good.

What the hell are they doing?

Is this Johnson's influence?
[Post edited 27 May 2020 21:30]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

The BBC apologise for Emily Maitlis. on 21:15 - May 27 with 1478 viewsTrequartista

The BBC apologise for Emily Maitlis. on 21:02 - May 27 by sparks

No- it means he still broke them- no matter what status you give them. The wording is clear.

What is perhaps less clear is that any offence was committed- given that the regulations talk of breaching a restriction "without reasonable excuse".

Though that cannot possibly apply to Barnards Castle...

If you have a set of rules and set of exceptions to the rules, you haven't broken the rules if you meet one of the exceptions. If i land on Trafalgar Square in monopoly and don't pay any rent, i haven't broken the rules if it is mortgaged.

The BBC apologise for Emily Maitlis. on 21:20 - May 27 with 1464 viewsFtnfwest

The BBC apologise for Emily Maitlis. on 19:28 - May 27 by Trequartista

It's not fact that he broke the rules. There was a vague clause that provided a loophole.

Yes whilst you could have put that a lot better, it’s certainly true that after weeks of moaning about how vague and confusing the guidelines supposedly are, people seem to be crystal clear on this.
The BBC apologise for Emily Maitlis. on 21:20 - May 27 with 1457 viewsjaykay

The BBC apologise for Emily Maitlis. on 19:42 - May 27 by Marshalls_Mullet

Oh goodness, groundhog day.

oh goodness, groundhog day

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

The BBC apologise for Emily Maitlis. on 21:22 - May 27 with 1449 viewsjeera

The BBC apologise for Emily Maitlis. on 21:20 - May 27 by Ftnfwest

Yes whilst you could have put that a lot better, it’s certainly true that after weeks of moaning about how vague and confusing the guidelines supposedly are, people seem to be crystal clear on this.

Some parts were crystal clear.

You only have to look at the amount of twisting and bending to make things fit to see which parts those were.

This isn't complicated, but it has become a silly game for some.

The BBC apologise for Emily Maitlis. on 21:27 - May 27 with 1437 viewsfactual_blue

The BBC apologise for Emily Maitlis. on 21:15 - May 27 by jeera

She hasn't been sacked. Just not fronting tonight's show. Look at it as the BBC showing boris how to deal with what could otherwise become an issue.

Probably all boris needed to do was to tell everybody 'I've spoken to dominic cummings. He has explained what exactly he did, and why. Whilst I can understand those reasons, I made it very clear to him that, in my view, and I suspect in the view many millions of people up and down the country, that he was wrong and has, as a consequence, upset people who have gone through great personal hardships over the past weeks and months since this terrible virus arrived in the United Kingdom.

'I have asked the Cabinet Office and the Department of Health to work together to write a statement that mr cummings will read out on live television, and I have told mr cummings of this.

'He is considering his position'.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

The BBC apologise for Emily Maitlis. on 21:29 - May 27 with 1428 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

The BBC apologise for Emily Maitlis. on 21:15 - May 27 by jeera

Woah, calm down.

Shot too early.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

The BBC apologise for Emily Maitlis. on 21:29 - May 27 with 1422 viewsjeera

The BBC apologise for Emily Maitlis. on 21:27 - May 27 by factual_blue

She hasn't been sacked. Just not fronting tonight's show. Look at it as the BBC showing boris how to deal with what could otherwise become an issue.

Probably all boris needed to do was to tell everybody 'I've spoken to dominic cummings. He has explained what exactly he did, and why. Whilst I can understand those reasons, I made it very clear to him that, in my view, and I suspect in the view many millions of people up and down the country, that he was wrong and has, as a consequence, upset people who have gone through great personal hardships over the past weeks and months since this terrible virus arrived in the United Kingdom.

'I have asked the Cabinet Office and the Department of Health to work together to write a statement that mr cummings will read out on live television, and I have told mr cummings of this.

'He is considering his position'.

I see. I misread that then.

I shall edit it so I don't seem alarmist.

The BBC apologise for Emily Maitlis. on 21:32 - May 27 with 1412 viewsjeera

The BBC apologise for Emily Maitlis. on 21:29 - May 27 by Marshalls_Mullet

Woah, calm down.

Shot too early.

Never, ever do I need your opinion on anything.

Anything, ever.

The BBC apologise for Emily Maitlis. on 21:33 - May 27 with 1404 viewsGuthrum

Hmph. They haven't apologised for Jeremy Clarkson yet.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024