Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Positive virus news 10:13 - Jun 1 with 3404 viewsmikeybloo88

Is the virus naturally dying? It seems so in Europe .... scientific modellers here supplying input to the govt also forecasting very low deaths by end June. Let's hope they're correct.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-health-coronavirus-italy-virus/new-coronavirus
Positive virus news on 10:18 - Jun 1 with 2909 viewslinhdi

Spain registered just 2 deaths yesterday, but have extended their emergency measures by 2 weeks to get rid of the bug.

If we get to single-figure daily deaths in the next 3 months I will be amazed. And very wrong!
Positive virus news on 10:21 - Jun 1 with 2879 viewssparks

I am not a doctor- but I find the comments baffling and wonder whether something is lost in transalation.

It is said that people tested are showing less viral load. Could that not be a a function of the distancing measures- such that people who get infected tend to have only small loads due to reduced contact?

Does the viral load have any bearing on the "strength" of the virus? i.e. I know that someone with a lower viral load is less likely to become very ill. But is there any suggestion that a person with X viral load today, is any less at risk than someone witht he same level of viral load 3 months ago?

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Positive virus news on 10:30 - Jun 1 with 2845 viewsgordon

Those quotes aren't expressing anything in clear scientific terms. Possibly the Italian Karol Sikora?
Positive virus news on 10:35 - Jun 1 with 2813 viewsBasuco

Positive virus news on 10:18 - Jun 1 by linhdi

Spain registered just 2 deaths yesterday, but have extended their emergency measures by 2 weeks to get rid of the bug.

If we get to single-figure daily deaths in the next 3 months I will be amazed. And very wrong!

In Spain police were giving out face mask's and I believe it is compulsory to wear one in public, but as the UK struggle to provide the NHS with face mask's I can't see UK police handing them out in the streets. I feel that everyone wearing a face mask in public is essential to stop the spread of this virus.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2020 10:36]
Positive virus news on 10:39 - Jun 1 with 2792 viewssparks

Positive virus news on 10:35 - Jun 1 by Basuco

In Spain police were giving out face mask's and I believe it is compulsory to wear one in public, but as the UK struggle to provide the NHS with face mask's I can't see UK police handing them out in the streets. I feel that everyone wearing a face mask in public is essential to stop the spread of this virus.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2020 10:36]

If people stay 2m then masks arent really necessary outside...

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Positive virus news on 10:50 - Jun 1 with 2757 viewsRyorry

Positive virus news on 10:39 - Jun 1 by sparks

Incorrect - sneeze microdroplets can travel up to 27 feet (and possibly even further) - I looked this up when my neighbour on the other side of hedge had an episode of over a dozen explosive sneezes yesterday - and the fresh breeze was blowing towards me!

https://www.imveurope.com/news/high-speed-camera-reveals-sneeze-aerosols-travel-

https://www.nationalgeographic.co.uk/science-and-technology/2020/04/see-how-a-sn

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Positive virus news on 10:50 - Jun 1 with 2748 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Get this positive news out of here.

Ban?

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Positive virus news on 10:52 - Jun 1 with 2735 viewsRyorry

Positive virus news on 10:50 - Jun 1 by ThisIsMyUsername

Ban?

I'm sure Phil will be very gentle with you.

Login to get fewer ads

Positive virus news on 11:03 - Jun 1 with 2699 viewsFtnfwest

Positive virus news on 10:18 - Jun 1 by linhdi

They've handed out getting on for a million fines in Spain and arrested around 7,500 people for Covid related breaches. We've got plenty of idiots in this country but there's a lot of assumption that everyone else has been sitting in their rooms for 3 months being very good, which isn't true. Mind you, their death total reduced by 1,500 one day last week so they must be doing something very right!
Positive virus news on 11:06 - Jun 1 with 2686 viewssparks

Positive virus news on 10:50 - Jun 1 by Ryorry

Incorrect - sneeze microdroplets can travel up to 27 feet (and possibly even further) - I looked this up when my neighbour on the other side of hedge had an episode of over a dozen explosive sneezes yesterday - and the fresh breeze was blowing towards me!

https://www.imveurope.com/news/high-speed-camera-reveals-sneeze-aerosols-travel-

https://www.nationalgeographic.co.uk/science-and-technology/2020/04/see-how-a-sn

Sure- but a mask wont stop that comlpetely either.

Positive virus news on 11:06 - Jun 1 with 2690 viewsEireannach_gorm

This was the thinking at the end of February. Many factors in this equation.

https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-outbreak-end.html
Positive virus news on 11:09 - Jun 1 with 2664 viewsmikeybloo88

Positive virus news on 10:50 - Jun 1 by ThisIsMyUsername

Ban?

Messenger well and truly shot... just putting it out there. Evidence seems clear that deaths are well down in many countries and some doctors in these countries report that severity of symptoms is also much less. Interpret it as you see fit folks...
Positive virus news on 11:12 - Jun 1 with 2648 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Positive virus news on 11:09 - Jun 1 by mikeybloo88

Messenger well and truly shot... just putting it out there. Evidence seems clear that deaths are well down in many countries and some doctors in these countries report that severity of symptoms is also much less. Interpret it as you see fit folks...

Always good to read an alternative POV.

Its generally frowned upon on here, but a select few of us like some balance.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Positive virus news on 11:12 - Jun 1 with 2644 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Positive virus news on 11:09 - Jun 1 by mikeybloo88

..... how was it not completely obvious that I was being sarcastic?

Positive virus news on 11:12 - Jun 1 with 2644 viewsRyorry

Positive virus news on 11:06 - Jun 1 by sparks

Sure- but a mask wont stop that comlpetely either.

Well I'm hoping that a thick, tall beech hedge will have deflected at least some of it! Should have held my breath & done a runner when I heard the first one - he's a working vet who travels all over the country.

Positive virus news on 11:13 - Jun 1 with 2631 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Positive virus news on 11:12 - Jun 1 by ThisIsMyUsername

...I may have read it wrong, but I dont think he was talking about you. I think he was referencing the wider thread.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Positive virus news on 11:15 - Jun 1 with 2618 viewsmikeybloo88

Positive virus news on 11:12 - Jun 1 by ThisIsMyUsername

Yes I got your lighter tone... sorry, just replied to your post but should have simply made a new one. No offence meant
Positive virus news on 11:15 - Jun 1 with 2617 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Positive virus news on 11:13 - Jun 1 by Marshalls_Mullet

...I may have read it wrong, but I dont think he was talking about you. I think he was referencing the wider thread.

You may be right! In which case, apologies OP.

Positive virus news on 11:17 - Jun 1 with 2606 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Positive virus news on 11:15 - Jun 1 by mikeybloo88

Yes I got your lighter tone... sorry, just replied to your post but should have simply made a new one. No offence meant

No offence caused... I just thought you were being dim, but I was the one being a bit dim as it turns out.

It's all good.

Positive virus news on 11:27 - Jun 1 with 2560 viewshatch

Positive virus news on 11:17 - Jun 1 by ThisIsMyUsername

No offence caused... I just thought you were being dim, but I was the one being a bit dim as it turns out.

It's all good.

After a few weeks of petty arguments on here between a few - this is a prime example of how 99% of disagreements could be resolved...
Positive virus news on 11:47 - Jun 1 with 2480 viewsBasuco

Agree that a mask will not completely stop the spread of the virus, but it does limit the distance by quite a bit, but in the same way 2m separation is not completely safe either. with both were in place it would reduce a virus load to a minimal level. It should be made compulsory to wear a nose and mouth mask when in public as part of the release of lock down to stop that second spike, IMO that is.
Positive virus news on 11:52 - Jun 1 with 2456 viewsFreddies_Ears

Positive virus news on 11:47 - Jun 1 by Basuco

Agree that a mask will not completely stop the spread of the virus, but it does limit the distance by quite a bit, but in the same way 2m separation is not completely safe either. with both were in place it would reduce a virus load to a minimal level. It should be made compulsory to wear a nose and mouth mask when in public as part of the release of lock down to stop that second spike, IMO that is.

And, even with the easing of isolation requirements (etc etc), most of us will still have a lot less close contact with other people than used to be the case. I think about just going out for an evening, how many people you'd be close to in a pub or two. Or going to a match - on a busy bus, in a crowded pub, fanzone, concourse, spending 2 hours very close to half a dozen people in the stand, back to pub.... For an away game add several hours on trains / tubes etc. I reckon, even if I took full advantage of the easing, I'd still have 95% less close contact than previously.

(Yes, that's about my first positive posting on any CV19 topic!)
Positive virus news on 15:43 - Jun 1 with 2265 viewsBluesquid

Nice to see some honesty here from the Norwegian PM when she recently admitted that she acted out of fear regarding C-19 which is fair enough considering what was known at the time.

The expert committee in Norway also stated that the country should avoid lockdown if there is a second wave of infections proposing a much lighter approach.

"Was it necessary to close schools? Maybe not. But at the same time, I think it was right to do at that time."

"I probably took many of the decisions out of fear. Worst case scenarios became controlling, and we kept thinking; 'how can we be a leader?'"

https://www.thelocal.no/20200528/norway-pm-was-it-necessary-to-close-schools-may
[Post edited 1 Jun 2020 15:44]
Positive virus news on 15:50 - Jun 1 with 2235 viewsLibero

Positive virus news on 10:21 - Jun 1 by sparks

I am not a doctor- but I find the comments baffling and wonder whether something is lost in transalation.

It is said that people tested are showing less viral load. Could that not be a a function of the distancing measures- such that people who get infected tend to have only small loads due to reduced contact?

Does the viral load have any bearing on the "strength" of the virus? i.e. I know that someone with a lower viral load is less likely to become very ill. But is there any suggestion that a person with X viral load today, is any less at risk than someone witht he same level of viral load 3 months ago?

I've found myself upvoting various things you've said in recent weeks.

Who should be more worried, me or you?
Positive virus news on 16:52 - Jun 1 with 2136 viewsBlueBadger

Research suggests the combination of the two is the best way to go, if possible.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024