Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This is getting rediculous now 08:47 - Jun 18 with 2536 viewsgtsb1966

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53087790
This is getting rediculous now on 08:50 - Jun 18 with 2112 viewsitfcjoe

Up to them, but when businesses have been built of the back of slave trading then can see why they need/want to do something - even if it is a PR move.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

This is getting rediculous now on 08:57 - Jun 18 with 2082 viewsBrixtonBlue

This is getting rediculous now on 08:50 - Jun 18 by itfcjoe

Up to them, but when businesses have been built of the back of slave trading then can see why they need/want to do something - even if it is a PR move.

I think it's more the fact that it was reported in the Telegraph and it's forced them to come out and apologise.

Also, to the OP, it's "ridiculous."

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

This is getting rediculous now on 09:08 - Jun 18 with 2054 viewsbluelagos

It certainly deflects the attention away from the issues of policing and how they seemingly continue to treat people of colour in a racist manner.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/18/nurse-claims-met-police-wrongfully

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

This is getting rediculous now on 09:20 - Jun 18 with 1993 viewsGlasgowBlue

This is getting rediculous now on 09:08 - Jun 18 by bluelagos

It certainly deflects the attention away from the issues of policing and how they seemingly continue to treat people of colour in a racist manner.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/18/nurse-claims-met-police-wrongfully

That’s an awful story that reminds me of this incident from a few years ago.

You make a good point. The argument about statues and historical links to slavery is a sideshow that deflects the conversation away from real institutionalised racism that is happening today.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2020 9:27]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

This is getting rediculous now on 09:21 - Jun 18 with 1994 viewsEwan_Oozami

The apologies might be a bit silly (ultimately they just encourage the right wing's self-victimisation status), but at least more and more people are seeing how some of the Great British companies that were started during the time of Empire were built on exploitation of others

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

This is getting rediculous now on 09:25 - Jun 18 with 1964 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

This is getting rediculous now on 09:08 - Jun 18 by bluelagos

I read the other day that if you are white and get arrested then you are 25% more likely to die in custody that someone from a BAME background.

Found that surprising.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

This is getting rediculous now on 09:32 - Jun 18 with 1934 viewsnoggin

This is getting rediculous now on 09:25 - Jun 18 by Marshalls_Mullet

I read the other day that if you are white and get arrested then you are 25% more likely to die in custody that someone from a BAME background.

Found that surprising.

Dying in custody is not the same as being killed by the police.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

This is getting rediculous now on 09:37 - Jun 18 with 1913 viewsbluelagos

This is getting rediculous now on 09:20 - Jun 18 by GlasgowBlue

That’s an awful story that reminds me of this incident from a few years ago.

You make a good point. The argument about statues and historical links to slavery is a sideshow that deflects the conversation away from real institutionalised racism that is happening today.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2020 9:27]

I recall at the time some people on here defending that policeman along the lines of "there must be more to it" "We don't know what preceded it" etc.

Of course the reality is that these incidents have been going on for years largely with no actions as it a "he said she said" and hard to prove. Why body cameras are so useful in resolving these incidents.

Wonder what happended in this case?

Login to get fewer ads

This is getting rediculous now on 09:38 - Jun 18 with 1906 viewsPendejo

One of Britain's biggest slave owners....

The Church of England

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codrington_Plantations

But at least they apologised years ago

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2006/feb/09/religion.world

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

This is getting rediculous now on 09:38 - Jun 18 with 1897 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

This is getting rediculous now on 09:32 - Jun 18 by noggin

Dying in custody is not the same as being killed by the police.

Wasn't saying it was, fortunately in the UK being killed by the police is rare in the extreme.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

This is getting rediculous now on 09:50 - Jun 18 with 1862 viewsbluelagos

This is getting rediculous now on 09:37 - Jun 18 by bluelagos

I recall at the time some people on here defending that policeman along the lines of "there must be more to it" "We don't know what preceded it" etc.

Of course the reality is that these incidents have been going on for years largely with no actions as it a "he said she said" and hard to prove. Why body cameras are so useful in resolving these incidents.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-48644358

This is getting rediculous now on 09:52 - Jun 18 with 1852 viewsbluelagos

This is getting rediculous now on 09:50 - Jun 18 by bluelagos

The coppers name should bring a smile if nothing else.

This is getting rediculous now on 09:52 - Jun 18 with 1852 viewsLibero

Is it ridiculous?

I think it's just a change in culture.

Great Britain has traditionally been crap at looking inwards at itself, the atrocities they have played a part in and the position this has given them in the world.

All power to the companies who can acknowledge their heritage and not let it define them.
This is getting rediculous now on 09:57 - Jun 18 with 1848 viewsPendejo

This is getting rediculous now on 09:37 - Jun 18 by bluelagos

I believe that cop was disciplined.

However

Violence is common place in London, especially knife crime, using the stats intelligence led operations are likely to proportionately target various strata of our population.

There is a strong argument that systemic racism created the environment in which BAME get drawn into crime.

Who here has ever been stopped by the police; if you have did you get away quicker complying or resisting?

The example of the footage from inside the car, the individual was probably clean, and knew that by not complying it would wind up the cop. Which it did. But before criticising any cop spend a week or two with them and see the bigger picture; the environment in which they work.

This type of situation is far more common than the two incidents highlighted.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/06/10/sickening-police-assault-east-london

The nurse was being ridiculous in my opinion, but hey I'm white. Though I was discriminated against be a specific sergeant who used to police Ipswich matches in the 80s to the extent my father accompanied me to Ipswich Police Station to make a complaint... Which just made things worse. So I can see aspects of both sides, who'd want to be a cop? Will be interesting to see what happens when they make their recruitment graduates only.

uberima fides

This is getting rediculous now on 10:05 - Jun 18 with 1832 viewsHerbivore

What is ridiculous about it?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

This is getting rediculous now on 10:06 - Jun 18 with 1830 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Not sure I see any issues with companies acknowledging their past and pledging to support causes - ultimately it’s up to them and the financial support is surely welcome

That said I do think any efforts to drag up the ancient past from some quarters is a bit silly - Greene King for example may have benefitted in the 1800’s but ultimately the company today and people involved are a long way removed from that. Admittedly that’s easy to say as a white guy, although I would make the same point with other companies and subjects - eg. VW’s links with the Nazis

Also completely agree with those noting that focusing on this kind of thing distracts from the actual issues which still exist today

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

This is getting rediculous now on 10:09 - Jun 18 with 1820 viewsPendejo

Officers apparently mistook Mr Fontana for a potentially violent drug dealer.

The other evening whilst doing a good aid run we encountered the Met performing an arrest of what one assumes was a violent suspect, this one involved some gentleman toting MP5s. Was equally impressive and scary, as we were on the scene early on before road was closed... What if the bullets started to fly?

uberima fides

This is getting rediculous now on 10:52 - Jun 18 with 1755 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

This is getting rediculous now on 09:57 - Jun 18 by Pendejo

I believe that cop was disciplined.

However

Violence is common place in London, especially knife crime, using the stats intelligence led operations are likely to proportionately target various strata of our population.

There is a strong argument that systemic racism created the environment in which BAME get drawn into crime.

Who here has ever been stopped by the police; if you have did you get away quicker complying or resisting?

The example of the footage from inside the car, the individual was probably clean, and knew that by not complying it would wind up the cop. Which it did. But before criticising any cop spend a week or two with them and see the bigger picture; the environment in which they work.

This type of situation is far more common than the two incidents highlighted.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/06/10/sickening-police-assault-east-london

The nurse was being ridiculous in my opinion, but hey I'm white. Though I was discriminated against be a specific sergeant who used to police Ipswich matches in the 80s to the extent my father accompanied me to Ipswich Police Station to make a complaint... Which just made things worse. So I can see aspects of both sides, who'd want to be a cop? Will be interesting to see what happens when they make their recruitment graduates only.

Good balanced post.

It's difficult to defend the police in that example, but it's also harsh to single out an incident from 3 years ago and suggest that it's representative of all police.

I suspect the police do far more good than bad, and we would all call on them in a time of need.

It does seem that there is work to be done on stop and search and how they treat BAME people, but we shouldn't demonize them.

The US would see it as progress if that video was an example of the worst behaviour of their police.

This is getting rediculous now on 10:54 - Jun 18 with 1745 viewsHerbivore

This is getting rediculous now on 10:52 - Jun 18 by Marshalls_Mullet

Good balanced post.

It's difficult to defend the police in that example, but it's also harsh to single out an incident from 3 years ago and suggest that it's representative of all police.

I suspect the police do far more good than bad, and we would all call on them in a time of need.

It does seem that there is work to be done on stop and search and how they treat BAME people, but we shouldn't demonize them.

The US would see it as progress if that video was an example of the worst behaviour of their police.

We shouldn't be looking at how crap the US is to make ourselves feel better. We should be striving to be better rather than engaging in a race to the bottom.

This is getting rediculous now on 11:02 - Jun 18 with 1727 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

This is getting rediculous now on 10:54 - Jun 18 by Herbivore

We shouldn't be looking at how crap the US is to make ourselves feel better. We should be striving to be better rather than engaging in a race to the bottom.

I said that we needed to improve, my point was that we have seen our police force portrayed as behaving in the same way as the US, and we are clearly in a far, far better position.

As clearly stated in my post, we also need to improve and should strive to be the best.

This is getting rediculous now on 11:07 - Jun 18 with 1702 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Wasn't suggested that it was racially motivated?

This is getting rediculous now on 11:30 - Jun 18 with 1667 viewsHerbivore

This is getting rediculous now on 11:02 - Jun 18 by Marshalls_Mullet

I said that we needed to improve, my point was that we have seen our police force portrayed as behaving in the same way as the US, and we are clearly in a far, far better position.

As clearly stated in my post, we also need to improve and should strive to be the best.

So why even bother with the comparisons with the US? It seems a way of saying "look, we aren't that bad". That's not a great starting point for improvement.

This is getting rediculous now on 11:35 - Jun 18 with 1654 viewsnoggin

This is getting rediculous now on 09:38 - Jun 18 by Marshalls_Mullet

Wasn't saying it was, fortunately in the UK being killed by the police is rare in the extreme.

Not sure why you think it's interesting that more white people, than black, die in police custody then.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

This is getting rediculous now on 11:39 - Jun 18 with 1640 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

This is getting rediculous now on 11:35 - Jun 18 by noggin

Not sure why you think it's interesting that more white people, than black, die in police custody then.

I was just responding to a post about how the police treat people of colour in the UK.

This is getting rediculous now on 11:40 - Jun 18 with 1632 viewsHerbivore

This is getting rediculous now on 11:39 - Jun 18 by Marshalls_Mullet

I was just responding to a post about how the police treat people of colour in the UK.

On the one hand you claim to think we need to improve and yet all of your posts seem to have the intention of downplaying the problem. That's not how you improve.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024