Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rebecca Long Bailey sacked from Shadow Cabinet 15:10 - Jun 25 with 19099 viewstractordownsouth

Decisive action from Mr Starmer

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Rebecca Long Bailey sacked from Shadow Cabinet on 16:55 - Jun 27 with 1407 viewsGlasgowBlue

Rebecca Long Bailey sacked from Shadow Cabinet on 16:16 - Jun 27 by WeWereZombies

There is a false equivalence in that final paragraph, terrorism is an illegitimate tactic used on people regardless of their involvement in an issue. Policing in a nation building phase of a state's development (and with effects that may curtail the establishment of another putative state) are necessary and legitimate but can also have negative effects upon a definable group of people.

You have provided evidence, and I am glad to see that. But my point was that I do not hear your voice in support of the plight of the Palestinians loudly enough. If I still say I want to hear it more frequently then that is why and that is what I mean. And if that is, In Moose speak, doubling down so be it. I call it taking care to adopt a viable position and holding the line unless it becomes untenable. But more than any of this I want to see the full range of issues discussed because not everyone who sees these 'sturm und drang' threads is even as uninformed as I am; it might actually be helpful to discuss why people have gotten to the point where they hold their views so strongly...and not to repeat the argument that happened on page one of a thread for another seven pages.

I’m completely shocked that you believe somebody should give vocal support to the plight of the Palestinian people before they can speak out against antisemitism. I suggest you read up on the IHRA definition, with all of its examples and think again.

I won’t engage with you further on this as I may post something we shall both regret.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Rebecca Long Bailey sacked from Shadow Cabinet on 17:09 - Jun 27 with 1382 viewsSeablu

Rebecca Long Bailey sacked from Shadow Cabinet on 16:16 - Jun 27 by WeWereZombies

There is a false equivalence in that final paragraph, terrorism is an illegitimate tactic used on people regardless of their involvement in an issue. Policing in a nation building phase of a state's development (and with effects that may curtail the establishment of another putative state) are necessary and legitimate but can also have negative effects upon a definable group of people.

You have provided evidence, and I am glad to see that. But my point was that I do not hear your voice in support of the plight of the Palestinians loudly enough. If I still say I want to hear it more frequently then that is why and that is what I mean. And if that is, In Moose speak, doubling down so be it. I call it taking care to adopt a viable position and holding the line unless it becomes untenable. But more than any of this I want to see the full range of issues discussed because not everyone who sees these 'sturm und drang' threads is even as uninformed as I am; it might actually be helpful to discuss why people have gotten to the point where they hold their views so strongly...and not to repeat the argument that happened on page one of a thread for another seven pages.

Thank you for voicing that so eloquently and clearly.

For someone who seems to be saying it's ok to criticize the appalling behaviour of the government of Israel, he spends a disproportionate amount of time subsequently agendizing (dreadful word) every thread on the topic.

As you rightly state, we don't hear his 'voice in support of the plight of the Palestinians loudly enough'. He'd rather just cut & repaste the same couple of token platitudes.
Rebecca Long Bailey sacked from Shadow Cabinet on 17:14 - Jun 27 with 1368 viewsSpruceMoose

Uh oh. Zombers is getting added to the big TWTD racist database.

No doubt there will be another threat to report this to 'relevant outside bodies' coming in due course.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Rebecca Long Bailey sacked from Shadow Cabinet on 17:30 - Jun 27 with 1345 viewsWeWereZombies

Rebecca Long Bailey sacked from Shadow Cabinet on 16:55 - Jun 27 by GlasgowBlue

I’m completely shocked that you believe somebody should give vocal support to the plight of the Palestinian people before they can speak out against antisemitism. I suggest you read up on the IHRA definition, with all of its examples and think again.

I won’t engage with you further on this as I may post something we shall both regret.

That first sentence is not what I said.

If we should ever meet face to face I will share a little of my family history that I am not prepared to hang out to dry here or on PMs.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Rebecca Long Bailey sacked from Shadow Cabinet on 19:29 - Jun 27 with 1280 viewsSarge

Rebecca Long Bailey sacked from Shadow Cabinet on 15:59 - Jun 26 by lowhouseblue

this isn't criticising israel - it's making stuff up about israel. i wonder why these people never make stuff about france or iceland?

Could it be that people don’t tend to hate France and Iceland perhaps in part because in modern times, they haven’t invaded, occupied and illegally settled territory that isn’t theirs and shelled houses, ordered mass arrests of a certain group of people and violated the Geneva convention?

I’m not defending making up things against Israel, there are plenty of genuine things to criticise them for but there will be plenty of people who hate Israel, for reasons completely separate from religion, and those people are more likely to exaggerate or just completely fabricate things as a manifestation of their hatred. It’s still wrong, but it’s not always anti Semitic.
Rebecca Long Bailey sacked from Shadow Cabinet on 19:52 - Jun 27 with 1254 viewsRyorry

Rebecca Long Bailey sacked from Shadow Cabinet on 17:30 - Jun 27 by WeWereZombies

If we should ever meet face to face I will share a little of my family history that I am not prepared to hang out to dry here or on PMs.

This isn't a retraction of what I said earlier re the educative value of threads like this, but there does usually seem to come a point at which the divisions between people increase, rather than them gaining a better understanding of each other's p.o.v. & the gap narrowing.

I think that's often just an internetz thing, and that very often if the two people, or groups of people, were to meet in a "living with the enemy"* kind of way, they'd be able to thrash things out (not literally!) and achieve much better understanding & accceptance of the other's feelings and position.

*TV series from several years ago which some might remember - included "sides" such as a vegan going to live with a livestock farmer.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Rebecca Long Bailey sacked from Shadow Cabinet on 07:22 - Jun 28 with 1135 viewsGlasgowBlue

Rebecca Long Bailey sacked from Shadow Cabinet on 17:30 - Jun 27 by WeWereZombies

Again. Im somebody who has been outspoken on the subject if antisemitism and you said it would be nice if once in a while - actually if it could be done pretty frequently, Glassers (and lowhouse for that matter) acknowledged the troubled lot of many ordinary Palestinians and what opinion he has on hopes for a two state solution.”

actually if it could be done pretty frequently .

Taking aside that I proved I do this often why did you single out my views on Israel/Palestine

Why not tell me I should make my views known on the Rohingya genocide? Or the treatment by China of the Uirgurs?

Why should a man with Jewish heritage and Jewish family members be expected to “frequently” acknowledge the poor treatment of the Palestinian people or give his views on a sptwo state solution before speaking out against a racism that affects him? Because you can backtrack as much as you want, but that’s what you said.

I'm not sure how we move on until you take some responsibility for that awful statement and at least acknowledge that it was clumsy at best.
[Post edited 28 Jun 2020 7:30]

Iron Lion Zion

Rebecca Long Bailey sacked from Shadow Cabinet on 07:54 - Jun 28 with 1115 viewsWeWereZombies

Rebecca Long Bailey sacked from Shadow Cabinet on 07:22 - Jun 28 by GlasgowBlue

Again. Im somebody who has been outspoken on the subject if antisemitism and you said it would be nice if once in a while - actually if it could be done pretty frequently, Glassers (and lowhouse for that matter) acknowledged the troubled lot of many ordinary Palestinians and what opinion he has on hopes for a two state solution.”

actually if it could be done pretty frequently .

Taking aside that I proved I do this often why did you single out my views on Israel/Palestine

Why not tell me I should make my views known on the Rohingya genocide? Or the treatment by China of the Uirgurs?

Why should a man with Jewish heritage and Jewish family members be expected to “frequently” acknowledge the poor treatment of the Palestinian people or give his views on a sptwo state solution before speaking out against a racism that affects him? Because you can backtrack as much as you want, but that’s what you said.

I'm not sure how we move on until you take some responsibility for that awful statement and at least acknowledge that it was clumsy at best.
[Post edited 28 Jun 2020 7:30]

Here we ago again.

I joined this thread with a rebuttal of the assertion that Minnesota police could only have learned kneeling on a neck from Israeli forces (the photographic evidence in 'I Am Not Your Negro' from 1963).

I hold out an olive branch to Darth Koont (and any other posters who are still under the impression that Maxine Peake and Rebecca Long-Bailey were 'doing the right thing' in making a false connection) by providing some context and making a plea for balance.

Numerous posters throughout the thread have pointed out that to identify the tenor of policing in Israel as skewed against Palestinians is a criticism of sectors of that police force, the Israeli legal system and the way Israeli politics has developed. It does not criticise Judaism or Zionism per se. See last year's documentary film 'Advocate' for a thoughtful and instructive illustration of this (unfortunately it is no longer available on the Storyville strand of the iPlayer).

I feel that all that your continued taunting does is deflect attention away from the issue at hand. It attempts to reduce a complex set of circumstances to an unhelpful either/or which does not reflect reality. As I have asserted in the paragraph above, the critical factor in the sacking of Rebecca Long-Bailey revolves around an erroneous linkage of the Israeli police to the death of George Floyd. But that does not absolve the Israeli police from any criticism whatsoever. Not sure if I have ever witnessed it on the internet but I have seen Jews in real life being told that they are not proper Jews because they are critical of the treatment of Palestinians, it is not done in a dignified manner and it is not a dignified stance on the part of the Jews who are not prepared to let another people have some homeland too.

Login to get fewer ads

Rebecca Long Bailey sacked from Shadow Cabinet on 08:10 - Jun 28 with 1109 viewsGlasgowBlue

Rebecca Long Bailey sacked from Shadow Cabinet on 07:54 - Jun 28 by WeWereZombies

Here we ago again.

I joined this thread with a rebuttal of the assertion that Minnesota police could only have learned kneeling on a neck from Israeli forces (the photographic evidence in 'I Am Not Your Negro' from 1963).

I hold out an olive branch to Darth Koont (and any other posters who are still under the impression that Maxine Peake and Rebecca Long-Bailey were 'doing the right thing' in making a false connection) by providing some context and making a plea for balance.

Numerous posters throughout the thread have pointed out that to identify the tenor of policing in Israel as skewed against Palestinians is a criticism of sectors of that police force, the Israeli legal system and the way Israeli politics has developed. It does not criticise Judaism or Zionism per se. See last year's documentary film 'Advocate' for a thoughtful and instructive illustration of this (unfortunately it is no longer available on the Storyville strand of the iPlayer).

I feel that all that your continued taunting does is deflect attention away from the issue at hand. It attempts to reduce a complex set of circumstances to an unhelpful either/or which does not reflect reality. As I have asserted in the paragraph above, the critical factor in the sacking of Rebecca Long-Bailey revolves around an erroneous linkage of the Israeli police to the death of George Floyd. But that does not absolve the Israeli police from any criticism whatsoever. Not sure if I have ever witnessed it on the internet but I have seen Jews in real life being told that they are not proper Jews because they are critical of the treatment of Palestinians, it is not done in a dignified manner and it is not a dignified stance on the part of the Jews who are not prepared to let another people have some homeland too.

That is all well and good in the context of this thread but you clearly stated I should “frequently” acknowledge the plight of the Palestinian people and give my view on a two state solution.

The use of the word “frequently” suggests you weren’t limiting your request to this thread.

If you only meant this thread then say so. If you believe I should “frequently” acknowledge the plight of the Palestinian people and my view in a two state solution outwith this thread then I think you should justify why?

And I’m not “taunting” you. You made what I believe to be an outrageous statement and I’m bloody angry by it. I’m entitled to ask you to justify your words. Using words like “taunt” is just deflecting and trivialising my genuine concern.

A lot of time and energy from both us us could have been saved had you acknowledged that yiur wording was at best clumsy and we could have both moved on.

Edit. Actually forget it. You can own your words. I’m done with it for the day.
[Post edited 28 Jun 2020 8:22]

Iron Lion Zion

Rebecca Long Bailey sacked from Shadow Cabinet on 11:24 - Jun 28 with 1043 viewspointofblue

To put it bluntly there will never be a two state solution as to many of those in power in both sides of the conflict - plus those on the outside interfering - want the other wiped off the map. If Israel withdrew to the internationally agreed borders the missiles would keep coming; if the missiles from Palestine cease land would still be taken. It will never be agreed to but the only solution I can see is a secular state which has no lead religion, not called Israel or Palestine, but I fear the bloodshed would just continue anyway.

As I think I said before, I believe Rebecca Long-Bailey tweeted the article due to the headline before reading in full. I’d hope, with Labour under additional scrutiny, that she wouldn’t have posted it had she seen what had been written. I also agree with the poster who said attacking the voters who did not vote for Labour in December is hardly the best way of winning them back round.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Rebecca Long Bailey sacked from Shadow Cabinet on 12:00 - Jun 28 with 1000 viewsWeWereZombies

Rebecca Long Bailey sacked from Shadow Cabinet on 11:24 - Jun 28 by pointofblue

To put it bluntly there will never be a two state solution as to many of those in power in both sides of the conflict - plus those on the outside interfering - want the other wiped off the map. If Israel withdrew to the internationally agreed borders the missiles would keep coming; if the missiles from Palestine cease land would still be taken. It will never be agreed to but the only solution I can see is a secular state which has no lead religion, not called Israel or Palestine, but I fear the bloodshed would just continue anyway.

As I think I said before, I believe Rebecca Long-Bailey tweeted the article due to the headline before reading in full. I’d hope, with Labour under additional scrutiny, that she wouldn’t have posted it had she seen what had been written. I also agree with the poster who said attacking the voters who did not vote for Labour in December is hardly the best way of winning them back round.

At least one hundred and seventy six were shot dead by police in the Soweto uprising on 16th June, 1976. Thirteen years, seven months and twenty five days later Nelson Mandela was released from Victor Verster prison; which signalled the beginning of the dismantling of South Africa's apartheid. Seemingly intractable positions do change, and the sheer scale of conflict around seemingly irreconcilable positions can signal how unsustainable a system is. I won't give up hope for a two state solution.

Rebecca Long Bailey sacked from Shadow Cabinet on 12:25 - Jun 28 with 961 viewsDarth_Koont

Rebecca Long Bailey sacked from Shadow Cabinet on 12:00 - Jun 28 by WeWereZombies

At least one hundred and seventy six were shot dead by police in the Soweto uprising on 16th June, 1976. Thirteen years, seven months and twenty five days later Nelson Mandela was released from Victor Verster prison; which signalled the beginning of the dismantling of South Africa's apartheid. Seemingly intractable positions do change, and the sheer scale of conflict around seemingly irreconcilable positions can signal how unsustainable a system is. I won't give up hope for a two state solution.

Agreed. I remember South Africa and any peaceful resolution of apartheid feeling a lost cause ... until it wasn't.

I think we're seeing similar here where pro-Palestinian activism has been going on for so long and has finally started to translate into popular pressure on Western governments and organisations. And these in turn deciding to put pressure on Israel. Probably in no small part to the "jumping of the shark" of the Trump peace plan and Netanyahu's racist Nation-State Law that clearly seems to have gone too far. It's only depressing that it's taken such a long time and at such a late hour for this stronger and more official response.

If we've crossed a point of no return and will actively support sanctions against Israel then this could be the beginning of something.

Pronouns: He/Him

Rebecca Long Bailey sacked from Shadow Cabinet on 12:29 - Jun 28 with 951 viewsRyorry

Rebecca Long Bailey sacked from Shadow Cabinet on 12:00 - Jun 28 by WeWereZombies

There's also the Camp David Accords/Agreements of 1977-8 between Egypt & Israel as a positive example. Unfortunately, leaders like Carter/Vance, Sadat, & Rabin/Begin willing to work collaboratively towards a peaceful solution, aren't in power these days - let alone anyone with the rare skills, stature and global respect of Nelson Mandela.

Rebecca Long Bailey sacked from Shadow Cabinet on 12:34 - Jun 28 with 937 viewsWeWereZombies

Rebecca Long Bailey sacked from Shadow Cabinet on 12:25 - Jun 28 by Darth_Koont

Agreed. I remember South Africa and any peaceful resolution of apartheid feeling a lost cause ... until it wasn't.

I think we're seeing similar here where pro-Palestinian activism has been going on for so long and has finally started to translate into popular pressure on Western governments and organisations. And these in turn deciding to put pressure on Israel. Probably in no small part to the "jumping of the shark" of the Trump peace plan and Netanyahu's racist Nation-State Law that clearly seems to have gone too far. It's only depressing that it's taken such a long time and at such a late hour for this stronger and more official response.

If we've crossed a point of no return and will actively support sanctions against Israel then this could be the beginning of something.

I get nervous about sanctions because they can hurt ordinary Israelis as well as the state. But then I remember what a pivotal part black senior management at Kodak had in keeping the condemnation of apartheid alive:

http://richardknight.homestead.com/files/eastmankodak.htm

Rebecca Long Bailey sacked from Shadow Cabinet on 12:37 - Jun 28 with 932 viewspointofblue

What is needed is statesmen on both sides who are willing to engage but where will they come from? The international community needs to be far firmer as well, as they quite rightly were... eventually... with the apartheid.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Rebecca Long Bailey sacked from Shadow Cabinet on 12:39 - Jun 28 with 925 viewsDarth_Koont

Rebecca Long Bailey sacked from Shadow Cabinet on 07:54 - Jun 28 by WeWereZombies

Here we ago again.

Great post. And no olive branch needed.

I think we're slightly at cross purposes over the specific George Floyd link. I said that was erroneous from the start and it unfortunately detracts from Peake's overall context of global systemic racism which I think is relevant.

Rebecca Long Bailey sacked from Shadow Cabinet on 12:44 - Jun 28 with 913 viewsWeWereZombies

Rebecca Long Bailey sacked from Shadow Cabinet on 12:29 - Jun 28 by Ryorry

There's also the Camp David Accords/Agreements of 1977-8 between Egypt & Israel as a positive example. Unfortunately, leaders like Carter/Vance, Sadat, & Rabin/Begin willing to work collaboratively towards a peaceful solution, aren't in power these days - let alone anyone with the rare skills, stature and global respect of Nelson Mandela.

'Unfortunately, leaders like Carter/Vance, Sadat, & Rabin/Begin willing to work collaboratively towards a peaceful solution, aren't in power these days'

That we do not have a surfeit of good leaders is really the responsibility of the electorates of the nations who are opting for 'strong' authoritarian leaders, there is plenty of decent leadership material out there but people are easily swayed. Hence the concentration by the extreme right on developing methods of influence over Facebook and Twitter.

Rebecca Long Bailey sacked from Shadow Cabinet on 12:48 - Jun 28 with 908 viewsDarth_Koont

Rebecca Long Bailey sacked from Shadow Cabinet on 12:37 - Jun 28 by pointofblue

What is needed is statesmen on both sides who are willing to engage but where will they come from? The international community needs to be far firmer as well, as they quite rightly were... eventually... with the apartheid.

I think the international community must realise they don't want to be on the Trump and Netanyahu side of history i.e. the wrong one.

Just remains to be seen if this late flurry is about setting the record straight on where they stand or whether it's a new-found commitment to actions not words.

Personally, I think the international community utterly dropped the ball over the settler expansion over the last decade or more. Let's just hope that by picking it up now they're prepared to row back on the apartheid system that's been created in the meantime. Getting Israel to drop the annexation plans is a big step but still not enough on its own as a resolution.

Rebecca Long Bailey sacked from Shadow Cabinet on 13:08 - Jun 28 with 859 viewsRyorry

Rebecca Long Bailey sacked from Shadow Cabinet on 12:44 - Jun 28 by WeWereZombies

'Unfortunately, leaders like Carter/Vance, Sadat, & Rabin/Begin willing to work collaboratively towards a peaceful solution, aren't in power these days'

That we do not have a surfeit of good leaders is really the responsibility of the electorates of the nations who are opting for 'strong' authoritarian leaders, there is plenty of decent leadership material out there but people are easily swayed. Hence the concentration by the extreme right on developing methods of influence over Facebook and Twitter.

I believe all media were totally excluded from the negotiations as they proceeded over many days. And of course no internet at that time was probably extremely helpful as well!

Rebecca Long Bailey sacked from Shadow Cabinet on 18:19 - Jun 28 with 756 viewsFootballpete

How is a two state solution in any way viable?

Should Israel return to her pre-1967 borders, parts of the land mass would be just 10 km wide, bordering a state at higher altitude and therefore leaving them at a military disadvantage compared with their neighbour. No government would ever accept that unless forced to do so.

Also what do the Palestinians have left to negotiate? Israel already controls all of the disputed land, it's resources, it's borders, and it's security. Why would they feel the need to concede anything?

During the peace accords of the early 1990s, settlement building increased and have continued to do so. It has created facts on the ground that are irreversible.

When Israel withdrew from Gaza, 8000 settlers were removed from their homes. To do the same in the West Bank would involve the resettling of around half a million, it will never happen.

I just don't see how a two state solution is possible unfortunately. Though I would love to be proven wrong.

Poll: Which Top Gear presenter is the biggest dickhead?

Rebecca Long Bailey sacked from Shadow Cabinet on 18:31 - Jun 28 with 737 viewsWeWereZombies

Rebecca Long Bailey sacked from Shadow Cabinet on 18:19 - Jun 28 by Footballpete

How is a two state solution in any way viable?

Should Israel return to her pre-1967 borders, parts of the land mass would be just 10 km wide, bordering a state at higher altitude and therefore leaving them at a military disadvantage compared with their neighbour. No government would ever accept that unless forced to do so.

Also what do the Palestinians have left to negotiate? Israel already controls all of the disputed land, it's resources, it's borders, and it's security. Why would they feel the need to concede anything?

During the peace accords of the early 1990s, settlement building increased and have continued to do so. It has created facts on the ground that are irreversible.

When Israel withdrew from Gaza, 8000 settlers were removed from their homes. To do the same in the West Bank would involve the resettling of around half a million, it will never happen.

I just don't see how a two state solution is possible unfortunately. Though I would love to be proven wrong.

You make good points, and even if the territories that formed the United Nations resolution that was approved in 2012 (how things have gone backwards since then) were granted to a new nation of Palestine the state would be very fragmented. I concede that we are in the hope rather than expectation phase now.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024