Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hang on a minute Boris 09:16 - Jul 11 with 5312 viewssolomon

Face masks in shops, ok then if we must, but how about making it official rather than some passing off the cuff comment. More worryingly is “return to the office” What if I can’t socially distance, do I then wear a face mask? One would assume “work from home if you can” is now defunct?

Getting this genie back into the bottle is harder than he thought

His mind seems to be like his hair style, sort of all over the place.

Or (as I hope) I’ve interpreted this whole completely wrong?
Hang on a minute Boris on 09:28 - Jul 11 with 3107 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Depressingly I think you are right.

(Don't know what the word 'style' is doing there, btw...)

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Hang on a minute Boris on 10:20 - Jul 11 with 3049 viewsRadlett_blue

What I don't understand is how making face masks compulsory in shops is compatible with re-opening restaurants. Diners won't wear masks so will all the restaurants be closed again?

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Hang on a minute Boris on 10:28 - Jul 11 with 3024 viewsBlueBadger

Hang on a minute Boris on 10:20 - Jul 11 by Radlett_blue

What I don't understand is how making face masks compulsory in shops is compatible with re-opening restaurants. Diners won't wear masks so will all the restaurants be closed again?

It's almost like they're incompetent chancers making it up as they go along. In any case, the time to enforce masks would have been at the start of lockdown. It would have been embedded into daily life by now as opposed to, yet again, playing catch up.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Hang on a minute Boris on 10:37 - Jul 11 with 3008 viewsWD19

Do the club stock these? I couldn’t resist the temptation......

Hang on a minute Boris on 12:08 - Jul 11 with 2924 viewseastangliaisblue

Hang on a minute Boris on 10:28 - Jul 11 by BlueBadger

It's almost like they're incompetent chancers making it up as they go along. In any case, the time to enforce masks would have been at the start of lockdown. It would have been embedded into daily life by now as opposed to, yet again, playing catch up.

Totally agree. I'm dreading what's going to happen the coming winter, once we get hit by the second wave.
Hang on a minute Boris on 12:25 - Jul 11 with 2891 viewsstonojnr

I genuinely don't think hes saying that, or about insisting face masks become mandatory in shops, but we seem to live in an age now where even the tiniest hint in something he says instantly becomes whatever those reporting it want it to say instead and becomes the "government says..."

I mean take the Sky news report that stated as fact Boris said "as he appealed to people working from home to go back to work."

but what he actually said was ‘I want people to go back to work as carefully as possible — it’s very important that people should be going back to work if they can, now. I think everybody’s taken the ‘stay at home if you can’. I think now we should say ‘go back to work if you can’ Because I think it’s very important that people should try to live their lives more normally and I want to see more people feeling confident to use the shops, use the restaurants, get back to work..

which fine I agree people should be going back to work now if they can, but where does that remotely say and "going back to work" means not working from home now ? he doesnt even mention "working from home" in that statement so why do we think he means that ? and anyone who has been working from home for the past 4months wouldn't categorise those 4months as anything but they've been at work, the office might look a bit different, the commute was quicker, but they've been flipping working.

whats hes really talking about there is people who are at home, who weren't able to work, or able to work from home,because the advice was stay at home during lockdown,and who had been furloughed,because their work was in a factory,shipyard,warehouse, shops or restaurants that were closed down or social distancing couldn't be managed for them, but those places are now opening up again and are able to follow a process that enables them to have a workforce employed to work, and not furloughed

those are the people he wants "back to work", those are the people he wants to encourage to get back to normal work
Hang on a minute Boris on 13:26 - Jul 11 with 2811 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Hang on a minute Boris on 12:25 - Jul 11 by stonojnr

I genuinely don't think hes saying that, or about insisting face masks become mandatory in shops, but we seem to live in an age now where even the tiniest hint in something he says instantly becomes whatever those reporting it want it to say instead and becomes the "government says..."

I mean take the Sky news report that stated as fact Boris said "as he appealed to people working from home to go back to work."

but what he actually said was ‘I want people to go back to work as carefully as possible — it’s very important that people should be going back to work if they can, now. I think everybody’s taken the ‘stay at home if you can’. I think now we should say ‘go back to work if you can’ Because I think it’s very important that people should try to live their lives more normally and I want to see more people feeling confident to use the shops, use the restaurants, get back to work..

which fine I agree people should be going back to work now if they can, but where does that remotely say and "going back to work" means not working from home now ? he doesnt even mention "working from home" in that statement so why do we think he means that ? and anyone who has been working from home for the past 4months wouldn't categorise those 4months as anything but they've been at work, the office might look a bit different, the commute was quicker, but they've been flipping working.

whats hes really talking about there is people who are at home, who weren't able to work, or able to work from home,because the advice was stay at home during lockdown,and who had been furloughed,because their work was in a factory,shipyard,warehouse, shops or restaurants that were closed down or social distancing couldn't be managed for them, but those places are now opening up again and are able to follow a process that enables them to have a workforce employed to work, and not furloughed

those are the people he wants "back to work", those are the people he wants to encourage to get back to normal work

It's almost like he's the Prime Minister or something and everything he says in a public arena is being interpreted as, potentially latent, government policy. Bloody media ....

If, as you assert, he is addressing those who have been furloughed the question surely is, "Why?". Those people had no choice in the matter (and no choice for some of them in subsequently being laid off) and they will have no choice about how and when they return to work, other than the Hobson's choice perhaps of refusing and making themselves redundant.

As club chairman he seems to have addressed his team talk to the subs, maybe forgetting that they can't get on the pitch without the manager's say so.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Hang on a minute Boris on 16:39 - Jul 11 with 2712 viewssolomon

Hang on a minute Boris on 12:25 - Jul 11 by stonojnr

People don’t decide when it’s time to go back to work, it’s the H&S departments who decide this based on the risk assessments they’ve given their staff. All risk assessments have to be based on clear criteria and not this sort of muddled thinking that has been prevalent since the pandemic started. I guess this is the sort of de centralised decision making Boris favours, unfortunately, as time will tell, this generally ends badly.
Login to get fewer ads

Hang on a minute Boris on 18:18 - Jul 11 with 2632 viewsShawsey

Hang on a minute Boris on 10:37 - Jul 11 by WD19

Do the club stock these? I couldn’t resist the temptation......

They sell ITFC ones.
Hang on a minute Boris on 22:05 - Jul 11 with 2515 viewsbournemouthblue

Hang on a minute Boris on 10:28 - Jul 11 by BlueBadger

They didn't want to do it because they were worried about PPE

They didn't want people buying up all the masks when they could barely provide enough of them for the NHS

In fact they downgraded the requirements for PPE within the NHS because they feared they would run out
[Post edited 11 Jul 2020 22:07]

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Hang on a minute Boris on 08:20 - Jul 12 with 2387 viewsStokieBlue

Hang on a minute Boris on 12:08 - Jul 11 by eastangliaisblue

Totally agree. I'm dreading what's going to happen the coming winter, once we get hit by the second wave.

Out of interest why are you associating a second wave with winter?

I haven't seen anything confirming seasonality of C19 and given the way it's hit hot and humid places like South America the evidence wouldn't seem to be high for it.

Would be interested to see any studies you've seen on it.

SB
[Post edited 12 Jul 2020 8:34]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Hang on a minute Boris on 08:26 - Jul 12 with 2373 viewstextbackup

What pisses me off the most is people can go on the piss but our kids aren’t able to attend school and learn.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Hang on a minute Boris on 08:39 - Jul 12 with 2350 viewsEly_Blue

Hang on a minute Boris on 08:26 - Jul 12 by textbackup

What pisses me off the most is people can go on the piss but our kids aren’t able to attend school and learn.

Well they probably could if it wasn’t for all the snowflake parents saying “I’m not sending my billy back to school it isn’t safe” while they’re sat on crowded Bournemouth beach.

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Hang on a minute Boris on 08:43 - Jul 12 with 2353 viewstextbackup

Hang on a minute Boris on 08:39 - Jul 12 by Ely_Blue

Well they probably could if it wasn’t for all the snowflake parents saying “I’m not sending my billy back to school it isn’t safe” while they’re sat on crowded Bournemouth beach.

Bloke I work with has been shielding throughout, kidney issues.... he’s dead set on working from home until there is a vaccination - but spent 4 hours in the pub last Saturday. He couldn’t see where I was coming from when I suggested he better not mention that to the managers as they could suggest he can return to the office.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Hang on a minute Boris on 09:38 - Jul 12 with 2281 viewseastangliaisblue

Hang on a minute Boris on 08:20 - Jul 12 by StokieBlue

I haven't seen anything confirming seasonality of C19 and given the way it's hit hot and humid places like South America the evidence wouldn't seem to be high for it.

SB

Isn't it known that it lives longer outside the body in cooler temperatures? A quick google from various sources says warmer temperatures certainly helps slow the rate of infection.
Hang on a minute Boris on 09:41 - Jul 12 with 2274 viewsStokieBlue

Hang on a minute Boris on 09:38 - Jul 12 by eastangliaisblue

Isn't it known that it lives longer outside the body in cooler temperatures? A quick google from various sources says warmer temperatures certainly helps slow the rate of infection.

That certainly applies to other coronaviruses but I am not sure it's definitive for C19 although to be honest I've not kept up with the research. It's been 30C+ in Peru for months and they have a horrendous outbreak, the same goes for parts of Brazil.

It could make a difference (possibly a large one) but it doesn't seem to be purely seasonal like the flu.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Hang on a minute Boris on 09:44 - Jul 12 with 2270 viewssolomon

Hang on a minute Boris on 08:43 - Jul 12 by textbackup

Bloke I work with has been shielding throughout, kidney issues.... he’s dead set on working from home until there is a vaccination - but spent 4 hours in the pub last Saturday. He couldn’t see where I was coming from when I suggested he better not mention that to the managers as they could suggest he can return to the office.

And there the problem, who decides if it’s safe or not? if it’s now safe to do so Boris should be announcing it in an official press conference and give a clear date, that enables businesses and their H&S teams to fully evaluate and prepare.

The government seems to be now distancing itself from taking the lead and just parroting out aspirations rather clear defined, thought out instructions.

We all want to get back, we want to be as safe as we can but not at the expense of a second wave of infections which will damage our economy further. As far as I can see many businesses are staying operational whilst staff are working remotely (I know I am) it’s not the same for everybody I know but i fear many business owners will see this a clear indication from the government the danger is over.

It’s important to remember that you spend more time in your workplace than you do at home or at leisure, the risks must surely be higher?
Hang on a minute Boris on 09:56 - Jul 12 with 2253 viewseastangliaisblue

Hang on a minute Boris on 09:41 - Jul 12 by StokieBlue

That certainly applies to other coronaviruses but I am not sure it's definitive for C19 although to be honest I've not kept up with the research. It's been 30C+ in Peru for months and they have a horrendous outbreak, the same goes for parts of Brazil.

It could make a difference (possibly a large one) but it doesn't seem to be purely seasonal like the flu.

SB

Certainly not seasonal, but government scientists do seem to be concerned about a second wave in the winter.

With the likes of Peru, you have to take into account how densely populated some parts of the country are, and lack of medical facilities. With Brazil likewise, then add that tvvat President into the mix, giving a recipe for disaster.
Hang on a minute Boris on 10:35 - Jul 12 with 2214 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Hang on a minute Boris on 09:44 - Jul 12 by solomon

And there the problem, who decides if it’s safe or not? if it’s now safe to do so Boris should be announcing it in an official press conference and give a clear date, that enables businesses and their H&S teams to fully evaluate and prepare.

The government seems to be now distancing itself from taking the lead and just parroting out aspirations rather clear defined, thought out instructions.

We all want to get back, we want to be as safe as we can but not at the expense of a second wave of infections which will damage our economy further. As far as I can see many businesses are staying operational whilst staff are working remotely (I know I am) it’s not the same for everybody I know but i fear many business owners will see this a clear indication from the government the danger is over.

It’s important to remember that you spend more time in your workplace than you do at home or at leisure, the risks must surely be higher?

"The government seems to be now distancing itself from taking the lead and just parroting out aspirations rather clear defined, thought out instructions."

Indeed so.

And right on cue Gove weighs in on the wearing of face masks with his "basic good manners" schtick

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Hang on a minute Boris on 10:37 - Jul 12 with 2209 viewsHerbivore

Hang on a minute Boris on 10:35 - Jul 12 by You_Bloo_Right

"The government seems to be now distancing itself from taking the lead and just parroting out aspirations rather clear defined, thought out instructions."

Indeed so.

And right on cue Gove weighs in on the wearing of face masks with his "basic good manners" schtick

Gove is a risible, calculating little sh!t weasel. Incredible to think he's had his fans on here in the past. The man is scum.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Hang on a minute Boris on 10:37 - Jul 12 with 2208 viewsEly_Blue

Hang on a minute Boris on 09:38 - Jul 12 by eastangliaisblue

My understanding is that it’s the uv rays that kill the virus quicker on surfaces, that doesn’t mean it stops the spread from person to person though

Hang on a minute Boris on 10:39 - Jul 12 with 2207 viewsEly_Blue

Hang on a minute Boris on 08:43 - Jul 12 by textbackup

Oh this is exactly what I’m talking about, it’s a highly deadly virus when someone is being asked to return to work/send their kids to school etc but when it suits such as pub, beach, protest etc then it’s fine they think they won’t catch it

Hang on a minute Boris on 11:55 - Jul 12 with 2158 viewssolomon

Hang on a minute Boris on 10:37 - Jul 12 by Herbivore

Gove is a risible, calculating little sh!t weasel. Incredible to think he's had his fans on here in the past. The man is scum.

His view that he new nothing about the mis reporting of test figures a few months back was a classic on sky news this morning.

(The fact they claimed to have actually tested 200,000 more than they did was of no surprise to me)

If they had under reported and there were 200,000 more tests than actually reported he’d have been basking in glory like bespectacled nerd who’d just lost his virginity.

It will take time but give this shower enough rope......
Hang on a minute Boris on 12:03 - Jul 12 with 2148 viewssparks

Hang on a minute Boris on 08:20 - Jul 12 by StokieBlue

SB

In fairness- it is a corona virus and some element of seasonality is likely- if only because, in the winter, we all spent more time gathered inside, with less ventilation.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Hang on a minute Boris on 13:15 - Jul 12 with 2102 viewsHerbivore

Hang on a minute Boris on 12:03 - Jul 12 by sparks

In fairness- it is a corona virus and some element of seasonality is likely- if only because, in the winter, we all spent more time gathered inside, with less ventilation.

I think also some of the mass outbreaks in places such as meat factories where temperatures are kept low suggests that it may favour colder temperatures. Still hard to know at this stage as it's a new virus.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024