Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What's with the Brentford love-in? 20:16 - Jul 15 with 1221 viewsFixed_It

Yes they are a good team in good form - but I would hate for us to go down the route of shutting down our Academy. Nothing beats seeing one of our own pulling on the blue shirt and playing for the first team.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

What's with the Brentford love-in? on 20:24 - Jul 15 with 1186 viewsMattinLondon

I’m not sure if it’s a love-in as such. I think many people admire any club with a long standing vision and whose hierarchy are adamant that whoever manages the team has to buy into that vision. That there is a continuation of the same footballing philosophy rather than a mishmash of what we’ve seen here since ME arrived.
What's with the Brentford love-in? on 20:39 - Jul 15 with 1136 viewsSwansea_Blue

Yeah, I’d much rather see Kenlock aimlessly lumping it into the channels while an incompetent owner wastes tens of £millions guiding us to the lower reaches of the football pyramid.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

What's with the Brentford love-in? on 20:53 - Jul 15 with 1110 viewsBlueBadger

I can't help but feel that they're as much built on shifting sands as Bolton were. The whole business model os based around the fact that they'll always find good players and always be able to move them on for more. I rather suspect it would only take one bad summer to put them into serious trouble.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

What's with the Brentford love-in? on 21:36 - Jul 15 with 1047 viewsfactual_blue

What's with the Brentford love-in? on 20:53 - Jul 15 by BlueBadger

I can't help but feel that they're as much built on shifting sands as Bolton were. The whole business model os based around the fact that they'll always find good players and always be able to move them on for more. I rather suspect it would only take one bad summer to put them into serious trouble.

I see them more as the new Derby for the happy-clappy village green crew.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

What's with the Brentford love-in? on 08:09 - Jul 16 with 905 viewsArnieM

Well it’s only taken 4 months of a pandemic to put the whole game in this Country into trouble. Let’s see how many high spending Championship/ PL Clubs go into administration to say nothing of the Leagues One and Two which will likely be forced into part time status and possibly even be regionalised again .

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

What's with the Brentford love-in? on 08:10 - Jul 16 with 902 viewstractorboy1978

You have to remember they are operating with a significantly more competent, resourced and well composed scouting network than us. The likelihood of everyone they sign in a summer being a duffer is extremely unlikely given their record so far.

Judging from the players they've managed to pick up at Championship level, I'd be intrigued to see who they could pick up at PL level.
[Post edited 16 Jul 2020 8:11]
What's with the Brentford love-in? on 09:06 - Jul 16 with 845 viewsmonytowbray

I have a Bee mate and he said all fans supported it. They’d become a feeder club for QPR, Fulham, etc.

If our academy’s only point was to sell y00t to the 6 finger family up the road you’d probably not be bothered either.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

What's with the Brentford love-in? on 09:21 - Jul 16 with 824 viewsSteve_M

I don't think that's fair, what Brentford have had is sound business model aimed at maximising a small budget, they finished above us and played better football in the Championship for several years. They do have a problem is should they fail to sell a player to continue the funding approach as, even with a new ground, they aren't going to bring in the commercial income of other, more central, London clubs. However, I don't see the level of speculation and debt being the same as Bolton who had years of Premier League money and still built nothing.

I'm not convinced the Premier League is going to be good for them though but much rather see them go up than the likes of Derby or Forest chucking millions they can't afford at players every year.

Some of their fans have gone all Bournemouth in recent years though, with an enormous sense of their own superiority. That's been annoying already and will be worse if they go up.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Login to get fewer ads

What's with the Brentford love-in? on 09:37 - Jul 16 with 784 viewsRadlett_blue

What's with the Brentford love-in? on 09:21 - Jul 16 by Steve_M

I don't think that's fair, what Brentford have had is sound business model aimed at maximising a small budget, they finished above us and played better football in the Championship for several years. They do have a problem is should they fail to sell a player to continue the funding approach as, even with a new ground, they aren't going to bring in the commercial income of other, more central, London clubs. However, I don't see the level of speculation and debt being the same as Bolton who had years of Premier League money and still built nothing.

I'm not convinced the Premier League is going to be good for them though but much rather see them go up than the likes of Derby or Forest chucking millions they can't afford at players every year.

Some of their fans have gone all Bournemouth in recent years though, with an enormous sense of their own superiority. That's been annoying already and will be worse if they go up.

The Brentford owner has always had a plan and it seems to work pretty well. Our owner is still stuck with plan A, which is to appoint managers of varying degrees of competence & let them get on with it.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

What's with the Brentford love-in? on 09:48 - Jul 16 with 770 viewsKieran_Knows

Of course, who would want a well run club, with a style, philosophy and decent scouting set up in place? I said on a previous thread, they're helped with their Danish link, but still some of the players they've purchased, and the fees recouped on them are probably only something we can dream of (Webster aside).

They're recruitment is spot on. When they buy from lower leagues here, they simply just buy the best players. When they signed Romaine Sawyer and Rico Henry from Walsall, they were the best 2 players in League 1 at the time, and when they signed Ollie Watkins from Exeter, he was the best player in League 2. This is of course in contract to Hurst's scatter gun approach of signing any Tom, Dick and Harry from lower leagues.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

What's with the Brentford love-in? on 10:08 - Jul 16 with 743 viewsLibero

It's a model that works for them and is very interesting, but yes, I wouldn't want to see it here.
What's with the Brentford love-in? on 10:15 - Jul 16 with 740 viewsblueprint

I do think some of our fans overrate our academy players. Have we really produced anyone of note in the last 10 years?

Brentford have to be applauded for the way they are run. The truth is we have fallen to a level where we are on a par with teams like Doncaster and AFC Wimbledon.
What's with the Brentford love-in? on 10:19 - Jul 16 with 729 viewsLibero

What's with the Brentford love-in? on 10:15 - Jul 16 by blueprint

I do think some of our fans overrate our academy players. Have we really produced anyone of note in the last 10 years?

Brentford have to be applauded for the way they are run. The truth is we have fallen to a level where we are on a par with teams like Doncaster and AFC Wimbledon.

It depends what you mean "of note" - I'd say Wickham and Rhodes are of note, I'd probably also mention that Nick Pope was at our Academy.

We produce a good amount of players who go on to have professional careers, it's outstanding considering we're a provincial club who haven't won anything in decades.
Its not a complete love-in, BUT... on 10:19 - Jul 16 with 733 viewsunstableblue

.... its the way they have defined a clear strategy, put in a footballing and technical management structure, that means the coach is not at the heart, they have had objectives and they have stuck to what is a clear direction.

We have fumbled along with fuzzy point plans, poor non-footballing chief exec appointments, and managers who in the main have not been able to put together attractive teams that play in a modern system/shape.

Their dissolution of the academy is not something many posters rightly think is for us, I agree; BUT it is at least the manifestation of actually having a plan and making it work.

I'm boring people with my repeating of this, but the fundamental issue with the state ITFC is in centres on Marcus's key personnel selection, strategy set-up and the footballing/non-footballing structure.

The best article I read on Brentford was about when their last manager went to Villa, outsiders were 'oh it will fall apart now' whereas the fans were adamant that the coach was interchangeable and the football DNA was set.

Take Lambert for us, he has some positive attributes (cue Blue Fish) but he is clearly lacking a coach who can assist with the technical/system sides of the game.. the Plan B, the system / shape set-up, the consistency, the breaking between the lines, the pulling the opposition out of position, when to flood the box, when not..... I really can't see us progressing until all of this is fixed.

God I'm boring myself now!

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

What's with the Brentford love-in? on 10:26 - Jul 16 with 720 viewstractorboy1978

What's with the Brentford love-in? on 10:19 - Jul 16 by Libero

It depends what you mean "of note" - I'd say Wickham and Rhodes are of note, I'd probably also mention that Nick Pope was at our Academy.

We produce a good amount of players who go on to have professional careers, it's outstanding considering we're a provincial club who haven't won anything in decades.

I certainly do not want to see the academy go at all but if we have too many more Knight, Flores, Brown cases it is going to make people at the club ponder. And from what I'd heard before and Phil's recent article we have more than one being coveted by the big boys at the moment. If you put in all that work for your best talents to be poached before they've even got anywhere near the first team it is pretty demoralising.
What's with the Brentford love-in? on 12:34 - Jul 16 with 629 viewsSuperblue95

There’s a core of posters on here who have been creaming themselves about Brentford for years ever since they sacked Warburton and their moneyball policy became heavily publicised.

They piped up every now and then as Brentford were en route to yet another lower mid table finish about how amazing they are. Now that Brentford are actually doing well and looking like they might go up the weirdos can barely contain themselves. All a bit odd on an Ipswich forum!
[Post edited 16 Jul 2020 12:35]

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024