Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Masks in shops 14:25 - Jul 25 with 8294 viewsfooters

Was just having a chinwag with the fella who runs the local shop. He said that the overwhelming majority who've been in since the new rule was introduced haven't been wearing masks inside.

With small independent shops I guess they don't have the ability to enforce the rule, but then for the major supermarkets to come out and allow people without masks when they could enforce it, it's nuts.

Maybe I'm fretting over nothing, but what the last few months have shown us is pretty depressing in terms of helping each other during a crisis by following the rules.

P.S. I know the guy's parents who are well into their eighties now. Maybe the other customers don't know he has to visit them regularly, but it makes me angry that people could potentially be affecting their health by not wearing their masks.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Masks in shops on 18:04 - Jul 25 with 2252 viewsSarge

Masks in shops on 15:15 - Jul 25 by footers

I really don't get this new attitude of irresponsible 'individualism'. Or maybe it was always like this. We're becoming more like the States by the day and it's depressing to see.

It's just a piece of fcking cloth. Wear it, snowflake*.

*Not you, SB.

Exactly, it’s cloth. Perhaps that’s the problem. If a piece of cloth stopped coronavirus we’d have solved this before it even became a pandemic. It’s a way to encourage people to go back out shopping under the illusion that they’re now safe to do so because everyone has their cloth on. People aren’t sold on them because 1) why now and not when we were in real trouble? , 2) why are they mandated in shops with minimal if any contact and not in say, offices or pubs where people spend a long time in close-ish contact? and 3) given you can literally wear anything no matter how porous or flimsy, does it even make a tangible difference?

I don’t know, I’m not even against masks (actual proper ones that work) as a concept but making them mandatory has really irked me and although I’m cutting off my own nose to spite my face by having to pay more, going online or drive-thru only, at least I haven’t got to cover it up for spurious reasons.
Masks in shops on 18:07 - Jul 25 with 2246 viewssparks

Masks in shops on 18:04 - Jul 25 by Sarge

Exactly, it’s cloth. Perhaps that’s the problem. If a piece of cloth stopped coronavirus we’d have solved this before it even became a pandemic. It’s a way to encourage people to go back out shopping under the illusion that they’re now safe to do so because everyone has their cloth on. People aren’t sold on them because 1) why now and not when we were in real trouble? , 2) why are they mandated in shops with minimal if any contact and not in say, offices or pubs where people spend a long time in close-ish contact? and 3) given you can literally wear anything no matter how porous or flimsy, does it even make a tangible difference?

I don’t know, I’m not even against masks (actual proper ones that work) as a concept but making them mandatory has really irked me and although I’m cutting off my own nose to spite my face by having to pay more, going online or drive-thru only, at least I haven’t got to cover it up for spurious reasons.

There is some good stuff mixed in with some dodgy stuff there.

The evidence and science says that face coverings should slow and mitigate the spread of the virus. No one says they stop it- but if it reduces the spread from a carrier from 3 people to 1, we prevent a further spike. Its that simple.

I dont doubt that there is an element of it being a tickbox to say something is being done, whilst reopening on economic grounds, and to make people feel more comfortable getting on with day to day business.

But that is to be viewed in the context of the overriding point- namely that it DOES make a difference. Saying it is spurious is misleading and wrong.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Masks in shops on 18:15 - Jul 25 with 2209 viewsRyorry

Masks in shops on 18:07 - Jul 25 by sparks

There is some good stuff mixed in with some dodgy stuff there.

The evidence and science says that face coverings should slow and mitigate the spread of the virus. No one says they stop it- but if it reduces the spread from a carrier from 3 people to 1, we prevent a further spike. Its that simple.

I dont doubt that there is an element of it being a tickbox to say something is being done, whilst reopening on economic grounds, and to make people feel more comfortable getting on with day to day business.

But that is to be viewed in the context of the overriding point- namely that it DOES make a difference. Saying it is spurious is misleading and wrong.

There was an audio interview last night on R5l with an American woman, scientist I think (sorry but can't remember details) saying that contrary to earlier thinking, they now reckon that mask-wearing *does* protect the wearer as well as those around.

Trials both with and without using animals showed that infection rates for exposure amongst mask wearers was c. 19%, but for those not wearing masks it was c. 80%. Will try to find the feature & details later.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Masks in shops on 18:15 - Jul 25 with 2216 viewsfooters

Masks in shops on 18:00 - Jul 25 by bluelagos

"Maybe I'm fretting over nothing, but what the last few months have shown us is pretty depressing in terms of helping each other during a crisis by following the rules."

I think this is some way off tbh. If you rely on social media then absolutely this is the impression you will get. But the reality is that the Govt have said the levels of compliance on pretty much every guideline they issued has been exceeded.

The vast majority of people have changed their lives in many ways and continue to do so.

Just go to a train station and look at the car park on any weekday. You will see it is less than 10% full which is confirmed by the govt figures on train passengers. So 90% plus are following the rules. Arguably more if as some of the 10% on the trains are key workers.

And from what I saw earlier, every single person bar 1 in the local co-op was wearing a face covering. And I expect that to continue, just as it has in Scotland. That people post and make a noise about those who don't follow the guidelines will continue, but it doesn't change what you can see with your own eyes.

Yeah, maybe going overboard with that one! I dunno, lagos. It's just been a bit sad seeing a lot of non-compliant people go about their day-to-day with no thought of others. Incredibly a lot of them seem to be at-risk older peeps, from my experience, as well.

I live in a highly populated area so the sample's always going to be random to an extent, but it just saddens me how delighted and proud some seem to be that they won't do it. That's definitely projected more through media/social media, but I still feel it's a real movement catching on here.

Masks in shops on 18:16 - Jul 25 with 2213 viewssparks

Masks in shops on 18:15 - Jul 25 by Ryorry

There was an audio interview last night on R5l with an American woman, scientist I think (sorry but can't remember details) saying that contrary to earlier thinking, they now reckon that mask-wearing *does* protect the wearer as well as those around.

Trials both with and without using animals showed that infection rates for exposure amongst mask wearers was c. 19%, but for those not wearing masks it was c. 80%. Will try to find the feature & details later.

I think it has been widely suggested throughout that wearing offers some protection- just not a huge amount. The percentages sound very much like what I read somewhere right at the outset.

The key is stopping spikes and spread though. All about the R

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Masks in shops on 18:21 - Jul 25 with 2199 viewsGeoffSentence

The experience of both myself and WifesSentence in the Ipswich-Shotley-Sudbury Golden Triangle over the last two days is that pretty much everyone has been wearing a mask. In fact we haven't seen anybody not wearing one.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Masks in shops on 18:24 - Jul 25 with 2186 viewsGeoffSentence

Masks in shops on 15:15 - Jul 25 by footers

I really don't get this new attitude of irresponsible 'individualism'. Or maybe it was always like this. We're becoming more like the States by the day and it's depressing to see.

It's just a piece of fcking cloth. Wear it, snowflake*.

*Not you, SB.

Wouldn't surprise me if the Cummings effect is at the root of some people's antipathy towards being told what tpo do. It is not surprising that peopel ignore the rules if those who make them don't stick rigorously to them.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Masks in shops on 18:27 - Jul 25 with 2185 viewsbluelagos

Masks in shops on 18:15 - Jul 25 by footers

Yeah, maybe going overboard with that one! I dunno, lagos. It's just been a bit sad seeing a lot of non-compliant people go about their day-to-day with no thought of others. Incredibly a lot of them seem to be at-risk older peeps, from my experience, as well.

I live in a highly populated area so the sample's always going to be random to an extent, but it just saddens me how delighted and proud some seem to be that they won't do it. That's definitely projected more through media/social media, but I still feel it's a real movement catching on here.

Sometimes we are quick to judge. Yesterday I popped in for a newspaper and realised on my way out I'd not put on a covering. Today I was super conscious to remember it when I jumped out the car. If someone had seen me yesterday no doubt they'd have been tutting away at the idiot who refused to put one on when in reality I has simply forgotten.

But yeah - some people dicks - we all know that!

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Login to get fewer ads

Masks in shops on 18:30 - Jul 25 with 2181 viewsstonojnr

Masks in shops on 15:08 - Jul 25 by footers

The big four supermarkets have all been doing well over the lockdown period, financially anyway. So while it's a consideration I think the big guys are covered for now.

It's just disappointing they may help the spread with this policy and, as ever, the biggest burden is felt by those independents who don't have the staff or finances to protect their own health in the same way.

Oh and another thing while I'm on a boring rant... "2 customers inside the shop at any one time" - perfectly reasonable, but luv, if you're going to fill out a dozen lottery tickets by hand, why not do it at home instead of holding us all up?!

actually no they havent been doing that well at all, dont mistake panic buying empty shelves and the queueing back in March/April as some how all boosting their profits, firstly theyve had lots of additional costs associated with all the extra paraphernalia with the screens, signs, floor markings,extra cleaning they have to do, and the shops arent seeing the volumes of customers they had.

plus peoples buying habits have changed as well, people arent browsing and purchasing big expense items anymore, clothing sales which made alot of profit for them has dropped massively, their cafes dont work in this situation, people are buying far more budget items, they dont tend to buy "treat" items, because the money in peoples pockets is less if they are furloughed, or potentially lost their job, or just earning less currently.

as for the mask stuff, well given everyone Ive seen wandering around with masks in shops is generally doing all the things they tell you not to when wearing a mask and as anticipated instantly forgetting to maintain all the other social distancing aspects and things like washing hands etc. I do wonder how effective theyll be.
Masks in shops on 18:37 - Jul 25 with 2162 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Here in York it's being observed!

Even saw one guy in a balaclava! (Bit menacing)

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Masks in shops on 18:39 - Jul 25 with 2167 viewsfooters

Masks in shops on 18:30 - Jul 25 by stonojnr

actually no they havent been doing that well at all, dont mistake panic buying empty shelves and the queueing back in March/April as some how all boosting their profits, firstly theyve had lots of additional costs associated with all the extra paraphernalia with the screens, signs, floor markings,extra cleaning they have to do, and the shops arent seeing the volumes of customers they had.

plus peoples buying habits have changed as well, people arent browsing and purchasing big expense items anymore, clothing sales which made alot of profit for them has dropped massively, their cafes dont work in this situation, people are buying far more budget items, they dont tend to buy "treat" items, because the money in peoples pockets is less if they are furloughed, or potentially lost their job, or just earning less currently.

as for the mask stuff, well given everyone Ive seen wandering around with masks in shops is generally doing all the things they tell you not to when wearing a mask and as anticipated instantly forgetting to maintain all the other social distancing aspects and things like washing hands etc. I do wonder how effective theyll be.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but LFL sales for all four major supermarkets have risen during lockdown, even to the tune of 8% per quarter for Tesco.

Masks in shops on 18:42 - Jul 25 with 2162 viewsjeera

Went into a Co-op yesterday masked up and all the staff and every customer in there was the same.

A little later I popped into the competition up the road - a different Co-op - and it was the opposite.

No one was wearing one, not staff, not punters.

It's a culture thing isn't it? You've got to train people to what you see as your standards.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Masks in shops on 18:52 - Jul 25 with 2148 viewsbluelagos

Masks in shops on 18:42 - Jul 25 by jeera

Went into a Co-op yesterday masked up and all the staff and every customer in there was the same.

A little later I popped into the competition up the road - a different Co-op - and it was the opposite.

No one was wearing one, not staff, not punters.

It's a culture thing isn't it? You've got to train people to what you see as your standards.

Was strange seeing staff without masks when we have to wear them. If they stop the spread why are they not expected to also help the common cause?

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Masks in shops on 19:35 - Jul 25 with 2121 viewsNBVJohn

Went to my local Morrison’s this morning and it was busy - probably like a normal Saturday. Everyone was wearing a mask, but social distancing was completely out of the window. So far as I am aware, we are meant to be trying to do both.

6 or 7 miles east of where I live, the lockdown area of Leicester starts. When the pubs re-opened a few weeks back there was a real fear that local pubs would be ‘infiltrated’ by people leaving Leicester in order to get a pint.

People have short memories.........
Masks in shops on 19:38 - Jul 25 with 2119 viewsSwansea_Blue

Masks in shops on 15:10 - Jul 25 by Westover

Here in the Algarve we have been using masks since May in shops on trains and buses if you forget your told to put it on and everybody uses them it's no problem, by wearing one you protects others, I don't understand all the fuss about wearing them in the UK crazy😷

The UK is full of self-entitled d1cks and halfwits susceptible to brainwashing. Sounds like people are more sensible in the Algarve.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Masks in shops on 20:07 - Jul 25 with 2081 viewsBluesquid

Masks in shops on 18:16 - Jul 25 by sparks

I think it has been widely suggested throughout that wearing offers some protection- just not a huge amount. The percentages sound very much like what I read somewhere right at the outset.

The key is stopping spikes and spread though. All about the R

With the 'R' rate being linked to the number of positive test results people should be aware that antibodies from the common cold (emphasis on common) can cause a positive test result.
Masks in shops on 20:11 - Jul 25 with 2084 viewssparks

Masks in shops on 20:07 - Jul 25 by Bluesquid

With the 'R' rate being linked to the number of positive test results people should be aware that antibodies from the common cold (emphasis on common) can cause a positive test result.

Evidence for this please. Spreading false information really ought to be punishable- and certainly bannable so far as TWTD is concerned.

Masks in shops on 20:40 - Jul 25 with 2040 viewsBluesquid

Masks in shops on 20:11 - Jul 25 by sparks

Evidence for this please. Spreading false information really ought to be punishable- and certainly bannable so far as TWTD is concerned.

From the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in the US.

"How to get an antibody test"

"Guidance on Interpreting COVID-19 Test Results: A guide for understanding test results and determining what actions to take."

"Antibody tests for COVID-19 are available through healthcare providers and laboratories. Check with your healthcare provider to see if they offer antibody tests and whether you should get one."

"What do your results mean?"

"If you test positive"

"A positive test result shows you may have antibodies from an infection with the virus that causes COVID-19. However, there is a chance a positive result means that you have antibodies from an infection with a virus from the same family of viruses (called coronaviruses), such as the one that causes the common cold."
[Post edited 25 Jul 2020 20:43]
Masks in shops on 20:44 - Jul 25 with 2034 viewssparks

Masks in shops on 20:40 - Jul 25 by Bluesquid

"Guidance on Interpreting COVID-19 Test Results: A guide for understanding test results and determining what actions to take."

"Antibody tests for COVID-19 are available through healthcare providers and laboratories. Check with your healthcare provider to see if they offer antibody tests and whether you should get one."

"If you test positive"

"A positive test result shows you may have antibodies from an infection with the virus that causes COVID-19. However, there is a chance a positive result means that you have antibodies from an infection with a virus from the same family of viruses (called coronaviruses), such as the one that causes the common cold."

Please provide evidence, or take your constant obnoxious and potentially deadly misinformation and shove it.

Even if your quptes below are remotely accurate or in context- they relate to antibody tests, and not the tests as to whether you have a current infection.

Seriously- just feck off.

Masks in shops on 20:50 - Jul 25 with 2020 viewsjeera

Masks in shops on 20:40 - Jul 25 by Bluesquid

"If you test positive"

Where does that say that antibody test results are taken into consideration when calculating a current R rating?

There's nothing there to suggest those figures influence stats relating to current cases and reproduction rates is there?

If there is, fine, but I'm not spotting it in what you've pasted there.

Masks in shops on 20:55 - Jul 25 with 2008 viewsBluesquid

Masks in shops on 20:44 - Jul 25 by sparks

Please provide evidence, or take your constant obnoxious and potentially deadly misinformation and shove it.

Even if your quptes below are remotely accurate or in context- they relate to antibody tests, and not the tests as to whether you have a current infection.

Seriously- just feck off.

What a thoroughly lovely response, thank you.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/testing/serology-overview.html

Ok then, people should be aware that a positive Covid-19 antibody test result can be triggered by antibodies from an infection such as the common cold.
Masks in shops on 21:01 - Jul 25 with 2002 viewsjeera

Masks in shops on 20:55 - Jul 25 by Bluesquid

What a thoroughly lovely response, thank you.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/testing/serology-overview.html

Ok then, people should be aware that a positive Covid-19 antibody test result can be triggered by antibodies from an infection such as the common cold.

"There is a chance..."

But so what?

Masks in shops on 21:04 - Jul 25 with 1991 viewsBluesquid

Masks in shops on 21:01 - Jul 25 by jeera

"There is a chance..."

But so what?

The common cold is well, erm...pretty common.
Masks in shops on 21:07 - Jul 25 with 1992 viewsjeera

Masks in shops on 18:52 - Jul 25 by bluelagos

Was strange seeing staff without masks when we have to wear them. If they stop the spread why are they not expected to also help the common cause?

Dunno mate.

I did question them a bit but they just replied they don't bother unless it's busy, which seemed to imply they put on a show when necessary.

It must be uncomfortable wearing one all day so I try not to make a fuss, but at the same time, like you say, there is a responsibility to protect the customers and if NHS staff have to graft in the roles they do then equally it's hard to sympathise with any of us who have a moan.

Masks in shops on 21:12 - Jul 25 with 1985 viewsjeera

Masks in shops on 21:04 - Jul 25 by Bluesquid

The common cold is well, erm...pretty common.

No, that's not the point being made is it now?

Don't be naughty.

You said these tests are directly relative to the current R rating.

Fine if true, but it would be good to see where's that is made clear.

Also, it says "chance", so that's all. So it's not even necessarily much of a point at all either way.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024