Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Favourite REM song 22:21 - Jul 25 with 6643 viewsFootballpete

Been listening to REM for the first time for years. Forgot just how good they are. Favourite tunes everyone?

Poll: Which Top Gear presenter is the biggest dickhead?

Favourite REM song on 12:53 - Jul 26 with 1565 viewsJ4ck22

Walk Unafraid, especially with First Aid Kit's cover.
Favourite REM song on 13:01 - Jul 26 with 1556 viewsITFC_Forever

Great band, and my favourite track has always been Losing My Religion.

And after events in July 2005, it will always remain so.

Several on here may well the few days in question....

6th July - London awarded the 2012 Olympic Games.

7th July - London Bombings.

8th July - REM played Portman Road. Me, my wife and a few friends all had tickets, but my wife being 8.5 months pregnant decided not to go and went to her parents for a Chinese instead. She said I might as well still go to the gig, and she’d ring if anything happened. Mates said how hilarious it would be if she went in to labour while we were at the gig.
We go to the gig and REM played a great set and went off before their encore. Phone rings.... it’s the wife, she says her waters have broken. “Hilarious, you’re so funny” was my reply, convinced my mates had put her up to it. Turned out they really had, just as she’d got in the car to go home after the Chinese at her parents’ house... she said to stay and watch the end of the gig as there were no contractions or anything yet. Just after the call, REM came back on and played “Losing My Religion”, so I’ll always associate that song with the birth of my eldest, the contractions started the following morning (9th July) and she was born 12.43am the next morning (10th July).
[Post edited 26 Jul 2020 22:38]

P 1124, W 500, D 288, L 336, F 1707, A 1359
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Favourite REM song on 13:05 - Jul 26 with 1551 viewshoppy

Favourite REM song on 13:01 - Jul 26 by ITFC_Forever

8th July - REM played Portman Road. Me, my wife and a few friends all had tickets, but my wife being 8.5 months pregnant decided not to go and went to her parents for a Chinese instead. She said I might as well still go to the gig, and she’d ring if anything happened. Mates said how hilarious it would be if she went in to labour while we were at the gig.
We go to the gig and REM played a great set and went off before their encore. Phone rings.... it’s the wife, she says her waters have broken. “Hilarious, you’re so funny” was my reply, convinced my mates had put her up to it. Turned out they really had, just as she’d got in the car to go home after the Chinese at her parents’ house... she said to stay and watch the end of the gig as there were no contractions or anything yet. Just after the call, REM came back on and played “Losing My Religion”, so I’ll always associate that song with the birth of my eldest, the contractions started the following morning (9th July) and she was born 12.43am the next morning (10th July).

Quality stuff. Great story!

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Favourite REM song on 13:35 - Jul 26 with 1517 viewsAtmosphere

Favourite REM song on 12:48 - Jul 26 by hoppy

Did he call himself Mick especially for you because of the Town connection, rather than Mike?

No, I just get easily confused.
Favourite REM song on 13:54 - Jul 26 with 1497 viewsJamestownPrince

Favourite REM song on 15:59 - Jul 26 with 1473 viewsIPS_wich

Favourite REM song on 13:01 - Jul 26 by ITFC_Forever

That was a cracking show, especially as they were supported by Idlewild who are one of my other Top 10 bands of all time.

We had our first about three months before that REM gig at Portman Rd (in fact it was possibly the first time we ever left him with grandparents for an evening).

It’s uncanny how you can associate a specific song with the birth of a child. For me the track ‘So here we are’ by Bloc Party will always be the song for our eldest. We had a really straightforward pregnancy until 35 weeks when the placenta suddenly tore. My wife was rushed in and it was touch and go for both baby and mum for 24 hours. Anyway, once everything was stabilised and I’d been at the hospital for about 36 hours they suggested I go home, have a shower, get a couple of hours sleep and then head back. I got in the car, the intro to ‘So here we are’ started and I just drove home with tears streaming down my face, a mixture of joy and immense relief. Still can’t stop the tears now if it ever comes on again.

Guest Room by The National is the song I associate with our second, but for far more mundane reasons.
Favourite REM song on 18:19 - Jul 26 with 1446 viewsTangledupin_Blue

WTF Kenneth

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Favourite REM song on 19:57 - Jul 26 with 1420 viewsSharkey

Wendell Gee
Login to get fewer ads

Favourite REM song on 20:48 - Jul 26 with 1403 viewsTrumptonBlue

Pop Song 89. I can never watch this enough.

Favourite REM song on 22:07 - Jul 26 with 1378 viewsSmithersJones

Favourite REM song on 23:34 - Jul 25 by GlasgowBlue

At My Most Beautiful. REM do the Beach Boys.

From the earlier days it would be Finest Worksong or Fall On Me.

All three classics, esp Fall on Me
Favourite REM song on 11:05 - Jul 27 with 1304 viewsbracknell_blue

Losing my religion - was playing when my (now ex) wife told me I was going to be a dad. Otherwise, I really love Fall on Me.

Poll: Should Thatcher have a state funeral

Favourite REM song on 11:45 - Jul 27 with 1279 viewshoppy

Favourite REM song on 22:07 - Jul 26 by SmithersJones

All three classics, esp Fall on Me

They did a superb 'Unplugged' performance of Fall on Me... worth a watch again...

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Favourite REM song on 11:56 - Jul 27 with 1275 viewshampstead_blue

Favourite REM song on 23:03 - Jul 25 by Guthrum

Saw them live at Glasto in '99. Outstanding, but by God Michael Stipe is wired.

Tho this always has a fond place in my heart, from dance floors in the early '90s:

I love the crunchy guitar tones.

Stipe's weirdness is the main reason I'd watch them. I love that type of behaviour. The more weird the better.

They have a great talent for catchy pop songs but with more a traditional indy/arty type ensemble.

Uncool in their time but I'd envisage they will attain a much more loved status now they are not working together.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Favourite REM song on 12:11 - Jul 27 with 1261 viewsBlueorder

Favourite REM song on 23:29 - Jul 25 by Herbivore

Shiny Happy People.

Was almost the theme song for 'Friends'
Favourite REM song on 17:57 - Jul 27 with 1223 viewsCoastalblue

Man On The Moon for me, though I'll never forget the emotion when they played Everybody Hurts at PR after the London attacks.

Am I right in remembering that they opened with it due to the attacks?

Edit: They did, and there's a recording of it including Stipe's intro speech here, still makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck and makes me feel somewhat emotional. Not many things do that to me, aside from music.
https://soundcloud.com/user-699010668/16-rem-everybody-hurts-8-july-2005-portman
[Post edited 27 Jul 2020 18:02]

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024