Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Boris Johnson really is a shambles isn't he? 12:24 - Jul 31 with 14133 viewsHerbivore

Just mumbling and bumbling, not much clarity. Awkwardly rifling through his papers because he's too lazy and feckless to actually prepare himself. Never have we had a PM so ill suited to the role.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Boris Johnson really is a shambles isn't he? on 15:43 - Jul 31 with 3236 viewsDanTheMan

Boris Johnson really is a shambles isn't he? on 15:41 - Jul 31 by itfcjoe

I was listening to a commentator the other day, can't remember who, and was saying that the working class/Daily Mail older conservative don't like how scruffy both Johnson and Corbyn are/were. Not brushing his hair, or wearing a sh*t jacket to the Cenotaph.

They find these things disrespectful, they want someone who looks the part and dresses smartly.

I think it's quite an interesting point, and it's the sort of thing my Mum says to me - they don't care if it is 'their look', they want someone who dresses up for the ocassions and loosk smart

My mother is very similar to that, she really dislikes it when politicians are "scruffy" as she puts it.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Boris Johnson really is a shambles isn't he? on 15:45 - Jul 31 with 3228 viewsmrshallisfit

Boris Johnson really is a shambles isn't he? on 12:49 - Jul 31 by 26_Paz

Impossible situation to manage. It’s impossible to keep everyone happy. The variety of views and attitudes towards restrictions shown by people on here demonstrates that. I feel sorry for him. It’s an impossible and thankless job he’s got.

There are people I feel sorry for before Johnson. The general public to start with.
Boris Johnson really is a shambles isn't he? on 15:45 - Jul 31 with 3227 viewsBlueBadger

Boris Johnson really is a shambles isn't he? on 13:08 - Jul 31 by Herbivore

I'm sure that's how things seem(ed) in your head, Gary.

I'd be interested to hear your views on the OP without making any reference to Corbyn or Labour. For someone who has never voted Tory you do spend rather a lot of time trying to deflect any criticism of Johnson or the Tories on to Corbyn and Labour rather than just commenting on the competence of Johnson and the Tories.

I suspect that the only reason Gary hasn't voted Tory ever is because he views that as too touchy-feely liberal and PC.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Boris Johnson really is a shambles isn't he? on 15:45 - Jul 31 with 3224 viewsfooters

Boris Johnson really is a shambles isn't he? on 15:43 - Jul 31 by DanTheMan

My mother is very similar to that, she really dislikes it when politicians are "scruffy" as she puts it.

Which is literally putting style over substance. But politicians can't be so naieve not to play this game in the age of rolling news and a presidential style PM role.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Boris Johnson really is a shambles isn't he? on 15:48 - Jul 31 with 3221 viewsDanTheMan

Boris Johnson really is a shambles isn't he? on 15:45 - Jul 31 by footers

Which is literally putting style over substance. But politicians can't be so naieve not to play this game in the age of rolling news and a presidential style PM role.

Agreed. If you know people are not going to like you looking scruffy, don't. Takes little effort to put on a half decent suit and comb your hair.

Boris Johnson really is a shambles isn't he? on 15:49 - Jul 31 with 3218 viewsBlueBadger

Boris Johnson really is a shambles isn't he? on 15:45 - Jul 31 by mrshallisfit

There are people I feel sorry for before Johnson. The general public to start with.

Boris Johnson has even made me feel slightly sorry for Matt Hancock, given how he's been clearly set up as the fall guy for all this.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Boris Johnson really is a shambles isn't he? on 15:50 - Jul 31 with 3213 viewsHerbivore

Boris Johnson really is a shambles isn't he? on 15:45 - Jul 31 by BlueBadger

I suspect that the only reason Gary hasn't voted Tory ever is because he views that as too touchy-feely liberal and PC.

I think that's a bit unfair on Gary, though it's hard to know exactly what he is for as he tends to be more vocal about the things he's against than the things he supports.

Boris Johnson really is a shambles isn't he? on 15:53 - Jul 31 with 3204 viewsitfcjoe

Boris Johnson really is a shambles isn't he? on 15:48 - Jul 31 by DanTheMan

Agreed. If you know people are not going to like you looking scruffy, don't. Takes little effort to put on a half decent suit and comb your hair.

I think saying it's style over substance is a little unfair, but more just a basic requirement to be fit for the job and to show it the respect it deserves - at the key times, not 24/7

If you had a lawyer and they went to court in jeans and a t-shirt to represent you then you'd be unhappy - I think it is a perceived respect thing

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

Boris Johnson really is a shambles isn't he? on 15:55 - Jul 31 with 3199 viewsDanTheMan

Boris Johnson really is a shambles isn't he? on 15:53 - Jul 31 by itfcjoe

I think saying it's style over substance is a little unfair, but more just a basic requirement to be fit for the job and to show it the respect it deserves - at the key times, not 24/7

If you had a lawyer and they went to court in jeans and a t-shirt to represent you then you'd be unhappy - I think it is a perceived respect thing

But they pretty much all do wear suits. When it comes down to not wearing the right kind of suit or not having the right kind of hairstyle we're getting into a slightly more "style over substance" style.

Obviously if some strolled into the HoC wearing shorts and a t-shirt, they'd be rightly criticised.

Boris Johnson really is a shambles isn't he? on 15:57 - Jul 31 with 3190 viewsthebooks

Boris Johnson really is a shambles isn't he? on 15:02 - Jul 31 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Not at all.

I am saying being exceptional from a PR perspective is part of one of the elements you should have to lead your country.

There are 65 million people and there will be a great many thousand that are highly intelligent and able to speak confidently and factually.

It's too much to expect a Tory PM to be genuinely interested in you or I, but in the past they have at least had to the good manner to prepare well enough to give the illusion they do.

Johnson reeks of someone who cares so little about us and doesn't care that we know this that he just rocks up and mumbles his way through nothing in particular.

David Cameron may have been many things but in the moment he spoke you believed, with confidence, what he was saying.

Yeah, Johnson does seem to be half-hearted in his efforts to seem like he gives a toss.

I am not a fan at all (I'm part of the Corbyn-supporting block that apparently elected him), but I suspect he comes across quite well to a lot of the public. He's not an idiot, and the assumption that an apparently rational and "capable" opposition will be enough to defeat him is misplaced.

As for whether you need good PR skills to be a good PM... I'd disagree, really, it'd be nice to have a more collegiate approach and more spokespeople, and a real set of beliefs and thought out agenda. Obviously, you need to be able to string a sentence together and be credible, but I'm not sure people are so convinced by the slick approach now.

Also, I think Cameron messed up Brexit, where I think he wasn't prepared enough and just assumed he'd manage to persuade peope he was right.
Boris Johnson really is a shambles isn't he? on 16:04 - Jul 31 with 3162 viewsfooters

Boris Johnson really is a shambles isn't he? on 15:53 - Jul 31 by itfcjoe

With the media being how it is though, it's not just at key times where a politician's presentation is put under scrutiny. Remember Hague's baseball cap or Theresa May campaigning in kitten heels? It's depressing how much emphasis is put on it imo, but I guess they want ammunition on either side as something as stupid as dress sense plays a part in the construction or destruction of any character.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Boris Johnson really is a shambles isn't he? on 16:05 - Jul 31 with 3161 viewsitfcjoe

Boris Johnson really is a shambles isn't he? on 15:55 - Jul 31 by DanTheMan

But they pretty much all do wear suits. When it comes down to not wearing the right kind of suit or not having the right kind of hairstyle we're getting into a slightly more "style over substance" style.

Obviously if some strolled into the HoC wearing shorts and a t-shirt, they'd be rightly criticised.

Jeremy obviously learned his lesson here. It's not about the 'right kind of suit or hairstyle' it's about just generally looking smart - Boris seems to think he is an exception to the rules and I don't think it is as popular as he thinks it is with a demographic he wants/needs to vote for him

Boris Johnson really is a shambles isn't he? on 16:11 - Jul 31 with 3145 viewsthebooks

Boris Johnson really is a shambles isn't he? on 16:05 - Jul 31 by itfcjoe

Jeremy obviously learned his lesson here. It's not about the 'right kind of suit or hairstyle' it's about just generally looking smart - Boris seems to think he is an exception to the rules and I don't think it is as popular as he thinks it is with a demographic he wants/needs to vote for him

I think the media will just use appearance as part of any narrative they want. Corbyn being "scruffy" (not that he was, particularly) signifies a lack of statesmanship, with Johnson it indicates his eccentricity, warmth and unwillingness to play by the normal political rules.
Boris Johnson really is a shambles isn't he? on 16:14 - Jul 31 with 3128 viewsitfcjoe

Boris Johnson really is a shambles isn't he? on 16:11 - Jul 31 by thebooks

I think the media will just use appearance as part of any narrative they want. Corbyn being "scruffy" (not that he was, particularly) signifies a lack of statesmanship, with Johnson it indicates his eccentricity, warmth and unwillingness to play by the normal political rules.

Corbyn was scruffy, Johnson is too - he media may be pushing the agenda as you say above but it isn't working with the 60 year old Mums when i listen to my Mum and her friends

Boris Johnson really is a shambles isn't he? on 16:18 - Jul 31 with 3107 viewsHerbivore

Boris Johnson really is a shambles isn't he? on 16:14 - Jul 31 by itfcjoe

Corbyn was scruffy, Johnson is too - he media may be pushing the agenda as you say above but it isn't working with the 60 year old Mums when i listen to my Mum and her friends

I think the fact that people might choose to vote (or not) on the basis of whether someone looks scruffy shows why democracy is rather fundamentally flawed in its current form.

Boris Johnson really is a shambles isn't he? on 16:37 - Jul 31 with 3070 viewsitfcjoe

Boris Johnson really is a shambles isn't he? on 16:18 - Jul 31 by Herbivore

I think the fact that people might choose to vote (or not) on the basis of whether someone looks scruffy shows why democracy is rather fundamentally flawed in its current form.

Or it’s an element, or perceived element, of their character that people don’t like.

I wouldn’t vote for someone with a tattoo on their face because I’d question their decision making

Boris Johnson really is a shambles isn't he? on 16:42 - Jul 31 with 3052 viewsHerbivore

Boris Johnson really is a shambles isn't he? on 16:37 - Jul 31 by itfcjoe

Or it’s an element, or perceived element, of their character that people don’t like.

I wouldn’t vote for someone with a tattoo on their face because I’d question their decision making

I find it's best to vote on policies myself.

Boris Johnson really is a shambles isn't he? on 16:50 - Jul 31 with 3038 viewsSeablu

Boris Johnson really is a shambles isn't he? on 16:05 - Jul 31 by itfcjoe

The demographic ‘he wants/needs to vote for him’ already have, in hideously large numbers.
Boris Johnson really is a shambles isn't he? on 16:52 - Jul 31 with 3035 viewsjas0999

It’s a damned if you do, damned if you don’t scenario. But I agree this Is a complete shambles.
[Post edited 31 Jul 2020 16:55]
Boris Johnson really is a shambles isn't he? on 19:19 - Jul 31 with 2979 views26_Paz

Boris Johnson really is a shambles isn't he? on 12:53 - Jul 31 by Swansea_Blue

You'd have a case for it being an impossible task if several countries and their leaders hadn't already shown that it's possible.

Different countries have different situations ... ours is particularly tricky. Old, unfit populations with indoor lifestyles.

The Paz Man

Boris Johnson really is a shambles isn't he? on 19:37 - Jul 31 with 2952 viewsSwansea_Blue

Boris Johnson really is a shambles isn't he? on 19:19 - Jul 31 by 26_Paz

Different countries have different situations ... ours is particularly tricky. Old, unfit populations with indoor lifestyles.

I don't think we're special enough that ours is particulalrly tricky. There are plenty of countries with an older population than ours - aging populations is a global problem for developed countries ( https://www.prb.org/countries-with-the-oldest-populations/).

There's more of a case with average health. We don't do that well and a lot of the countries higher ranked for health have done better with covid. New Zealand are the same as us though, average health wise and they've bossed us. Health itself is also a reflection of how a country manages itself. We've probably got poor average health ratings for many of the same reasons we've coped badly with covid.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Boris Johnson really is a shambles isn't he? on 20:19 - Jul 31 with 2915 viewsHerbivore

What a crock of sh!te. It's amazing the mental hoops you'll jump through to avoid admitting that Johnson is fooking useless.

Boris Johnson really is a shambles isn't he? on 20:24 - Jul 31 with 2910 viewseireblue

Good point, so the answer would be to lockdown quicker, and be more sure about the reduction of transmission before gradually opening up, and ensuring capacity for test, track, trace, was in place.

See, even you are better than Boris and Cabinet at spotting obvious things to take Into consideration.
Boris Johnson really is a shambles isn't he? on 20:25 - Jul 31 with 2908 viewsjeera

Boris Johnson really is a shambles isn't he? on 20:24 - Jul 31 by eireblue

Good point, so the answer would be to lockdown quicker, and be more sure about the reduction of transmission before gradually opening up, and ensuring capacity for test, track, trace, was in place.

See, even you are better than Boris and Cabinet at spotting obvious things to take Into consideration.

"Take it on the chin, be prepared to lose loved-ones."

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Boris Johnson really is a shambles isn't he? on 21:09 - Jul 31 with 2876 viewsvapour_trail

He couldn’t even be arsed to attend five consecutive cobra meetings as the crisis was developing.

He wanted the job for the lols. He’s completely unsuited to crisis management. Teresa May would have been infinitely better.

He is a fcking car crash, to our collective cost, and if you’re still backing him, you are mental.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024