Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How are we all getting on in the brave new CV19 world? 19:14 - Aug 10 with 5411 viewsDubtractor

Feels like we're in a stage of being as 'normal' as possible at the moment, waiting to see what happens next and whether we can embrace life again or go back into lockdown of some sort. A sort of limbo.

How is everyone getting on though? Get the impression on here that most people are doing OK, but I have a couple of mates who are pretty much guaranteed to be jobless once we come out of this.

I've had to really start making an effort to break out of the lockdown mentality over the last few weeks as I realised that the Summer was drifting by and I'd barely left my house and garden, so have had a few days out seeing the sights, sounds and smells of Suffolk. I know a few of my work colleagues have been really struggling with being stuck and home and not being able to do any of the things they would usually do for a distraction from the 9-5 grind of work, including the thrill of watching ITFC.

Not sure what the point of this post is really, just wondering how you're all getting on and if anyone has anything to share.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

How are we all getting on in the brave new CV19 world? on 08:07 - Aug 11 with 1663 viewsSteve_M

Mainly ok, been able to see family and friends over the last few weeks and that feels a bit more normal. A couple of weeks back I was quite fed up because it isn't normal and, as others have said, things like watching live sport and music are life-enhancing and not doing those, nor having a realistic idea of when we might be able to again, is frustrating.

I have got a week in Dorset in early September, postponed from May, and that should still be ok which is nice as I really need a change of scenery for more than a day at a time. That will probably be the only opportunity for a holiday this year though.

Work-wise, we can do about 40% occupancy at 1m plus distancing. So as there's only a real benefit from most people being in the same place and we're working well enough from home I think any change to WFH is months away. I'm fine with that but, again, the lack of face to face interaction with colleagues and odd after-work, or Friday lunchtime, beers are still out.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

How are we all getting on in the brave new CV19 world? on 08:15 - Aug 11 with 1658 viewsitfcjoe

To be honest I'm pretty good, feel as though I'm basically back to normal now with regards to work, gym, social life.

Miss going to the football, and miss the subsequent evenings out in town - but other than that I don't do much that I can't continue to be doing.

Would like a holiday, only UK based - have one a caravan in Norfolk booked for October and Center Parcs in November so really hope they can go ahead. And then Madeira booked for the New Years break which I'm not overly fussed about but will enjoy.

Been lucky with regards to work, childcare, etc for both me and my wife which makes the big difference, and kids at an age where they just enjoy our company rather than worry about friends.

Fortunate to live just outside the town with greenery on my doorstep, a decent sized garden and house so not been on top of each other and regularly make the 15 minute jaunt down to Felixstowe to enjoy the beach and the sea.

I get that I'm lucky that a lot has fallen into place for me, but I'm also someone who makes the most of situations anyway rather than worry about what I can't do I'll just enjoy what I can (football aside)

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

How are we all getting on in the brave new CV19 world? on 08:56 - Aug 11 with 1614 viewsDubtractor

How are we all getting on in the brave new CV19 world? on 07:37 - Aug 11 by Herbivore

I've been able to work throughout, which has been good as I don't like having nothing to do. I am finding working from home every day a bit of a grind though. Overall I can't complain really, Covid hasn't affected me or anyone close to me health wise and luckily my nearest and dearest are all still in work. Starting a new job in 2 weeks' time which will be very strange, starting from my desk at home rather than going to my new workplace and meeting colleagues. It'll be like having two starts really when things get more back to normal and people are physically back at work.

I'm with you (and a few others in this thread) that home working is starting to grate a little for various reasons, the main one I think being too many video meetings as I find them really bloody draining.

Again, can't complain overall, but would quite like this to be sorted soon and fear that it won't be for a long while.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.

How are we all getting on in the brave new CV19 world? on 08:58 - Aug 11 with 1610 viewsHerbivore

How are we all getting on in the brave new CV19 world? on 08:56 - Aug 11 by Dubtractor

I'm with you (and a few others in this thread) that home working is starting to grate a little for various reasons, the main one I think being too many video meetings as I find them really bloody draining.

Again, can't complain overall, but would quite like this to be sorted soon and fear that it won't be for a long while.

Video meetings are really tiring, more so than face to face meetings. I'm looking forward to being able to be around people more regularly again to be honest. I think I'm much more sociable than I'd realised.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

How are we all getting on in the brave new CV19 world? on 08:58 - Aug 11 with 1608 viewsDubtractor

How are we all getting on in the brave new CV19 world? on 22:53 - Aug 10 by DebsyAngel

Not doing well at all sadly. My health is at an all time low, worsened by the increasing anxiety and lack of support by doctors. The HRT is not working and giving me side effects that have been scary. Had blood tests last week and all normal apart from Vitamin D3 was low, so am having a vitamin for that each day.

My foot is so painful and sore and itchy and the thing is spreading. I was given a potassium foot soak thing, what a hassle - and it made it worse.

Next door are doing my nut in every day.

See my parents on my birthday and had them sit in our garden at a distance but was in bits that I could not hug them. Had my brother in law round in the garden too.

Just feel depressed that all I had to look forward to this year has gone because of this virus - gigs/football/nights out/days out/a little break away. Too scared to go far as do not want this virus.

I cannot see Christmas happening this year and that will make things even worse for me.

I try to carry on with the daily jobs/chores and the only thing to bring me joy is music - listening to tons of great stuff - new CDs and records for my birthday and various Mixcloud shows. Without music, I would be a goner.

Sorry to send such a negative view, but I am being honest.

Try and keep positive (difficult I know) and hopefully things will start to improve a little at a time.

Dive deeper into finding and listening to music if that is the thing that keeps you sane.

How are we all getting on in the brave new CV19 world? on 09:21 - Aug 11 with 1589 viewsLibero

Aside from the ongoing health issues I'm suffering from contracting the virus back in March, I think work wise my wife and I are relatively safe, however working from home and looking after a baby is nigh on impossible and having an effect on us both.

Wife was in tears over the weekend as she couldn't relax and was finding it hard coping with our boy, who wasn't being particularly difficult, she just needed some time and space.
Made her a nice big drink and sent her off to go invest some time doing something she wanted to do for herself.
She works 3 days a week and can't get her boss to agree to let her do at least one of those days from the office, she goes in for random meetings but nothing consistent, which is a shame as it'd really make things easier for her if she could have that one day a week out of the house working.

I'm either working flat out when at home or feeling concerned that I've done next to nothing, I'm very lucky that I have an incredibly understanding boss, but the whole thing doesn't sit well with my nature.
When I go into the office I have to wear a mask all day, which isn't really a problem, other than steaming up glasses. However the added protocols and new way of working since we've had customers back in the building is absolute riddled with problems and the leadership between my boss and myself is absolutely lacking, which means myself and my colleague are fully stretched.

Socially we've seen a few friends in outside situations, but we're concerned at widening our social circle any more than it currently is, especially considering the public consensus at the moment which appears to be rather lax.

Mother-in-law has put us in a difficult situation, wants us to go to a family gathering in Essex where there will be people from various parts of the country, including Yorkshire and other areas that aren't doing so great at the moment.
It's a clear and obvious no from me, but my Wife's rather upset about it, she also didn't like that I said I wouldn't be comfortable with any one who was at the party being around our son for 10 - 14 days after it, but these are the kind of awkward situations that a lot of conscientious people will be going through right now I imagine.

We're all just living day-to-day, week-to-week and it's hard.
I feel so grateful and fortunate to live in a lovely house in an area of relative safety, but I am concerned moving forwards and would love some mental respite from the constant risk assessing, analysing, evaluating.
[Post edited 11 Aug 2020 9:24]
How are we all getting on in the brave new CV19 world? on 10:03 - Aug 11 with 1541 viewsCoastalblue

How are we all getting on in the brave new CV19 world? on 23:43 - Aug 10 by Melford

The kitchen I'm in at the moment isn't the hottest I've worked but it's hard going. I have to fold a napkin up and spend all day with it wedged between my ar$e cheeks, all the sweat runs down your back and it ends up with this https://www.thestaffcanteen.com/Blog/chefs-arse-problem-chef-understand#/

I can remember many, many years ago when I used to help out a friend of mine from time to time for a bit of extra cash. He used to do some maintenance work for a couple of classy restaurants in London and one night we went in after service had finished to repaint the kitchen.

I've always loved cooking but that totally killed any idle thoughts I may have had of working in a kitchen at any point. It was weather like we are now having and a basement kitchen, there were cellar doors to the pavement but every time we opened them to try and let some air in, or heat out we were invaded by a couple of old homeless guys who were totally intoxicated.

I absolutely respect what you are doing, and feel zero envy.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

How are we all getting on in the brave new CV19 world? on 10:06 - Aug 11 with 1541 viewsellerblue

Here in a very hot Germany, we have just slipped into daily routine, we decided early on to self isolate, in fact we havent had another person in the house for about 4 months now, it was hard at first not having friends over but there are phones, skype etc. I am retired so i walk the dog twice a day in the forest and rarely see any other walkers except possibly at weekends the rest of my day is housework or in the garden preferably with a nice cold pils. The wife has this week returned to full time working under very strict conditions re wearing masks etc( she is in the car sales buisness and since being allowed to reopen have been very very busy), she does the shopping once a week by herself as supermarkets still like but do not enforce only one person, very strict here on distancing wife went to doctors, waiting room only every other chair can be used in fact there was a line of people sitting on the stairs social distancing. We appear to be having a second wave/spike in cases and lock down might well appear again in certain states, schools reopen in NRW tommorow and mandatory test upon arrival at airports from hot spots is under way( What happens if you drive to spain? which many germans do as it is so easy). Overall it is not to bad just accepting and making the best of it, we are lucky that merkel shut all seven borders immediately, got all the heads of states together and worked out a plan of action which in the main has been obeyed. We cancelled holiday in Crete re not wanting to fly for 3 hours, but have booked to spend xmas in uk we havent seen grandchildren for 2 years if it goes ahead and if not ,nothing we can do about it. Stay safe and COYB( minus Lambert but with George)

Heinsberg Blue

Login to get fewer ads

How are we all getting on in the brave new CV19 world? on 10:17 - Aug 11 with 1525 viewsDecageBruce

Pretty good for me in reality. I work from home anyway and my job is related to the NHS so has been pretty busy. Has been different and difficult at times having a 3 and 6 year old in the house full time but I have made it a priority to try and shield them from too much negativity and hope that they look back on this time with fond memories rather than it being a stressful situation for them.

Sunday league friendlies start in the next few weeks so looking forward to getting out and stretching my legs although my legs will no doubt dislike me after this.

Have been back to the local a few times but it is really not the same. Nice to see some people that I've not seen for a while but with limited sport on the TV and social distancing still feels 'odd'.

TWTD has also been a nice distraction at times as has my new hobbies of keeping fish and the odd bit of building in the garden
How are we all getting on in the brave new CV19 world? on 12:14 - Aug 11 with 1467 viewsFreddies_Ears

I've hit the point that I feared, some months ago, when most people's lives are back to somewhere near normal, but mine is still almost completely on hold. I'm a lucky member of the active retired, so spent my time doing live football, gigs and classical concerts, theatre and travel. Instead, I'm at home, spending what I thought I'd be spending if I should be fortunate enough to make it to age 80. The first few months were ok, but looking into continuing for the rest of the year is not all that enticing.
How are we all getting on in the brave new CV19 world? on 12:42 - Aug 11 with 1439 viewsbournemouthblue

I think this will be the most 'normal' it will be for a while sadly

What I don't like is it seems to be a big event for the conspiracy theorists who seem to think they're driving towards the story narrative they have been piping for a while on the underground

A psyschopathic globalist elite who want to take control of everything. Where it gets properly batsh1t mental (excuse the pun given the original source of the virus) is that Bill Gates wants to inject us all with tracking devices so they can control us all

I've got news for you tinfoilers, we have something called a mobile phone which is already way more intrusive and invading our lives than a simple microchip simply ever could be

It's going to be cars next, the cat was out of the bag, some time ago on this one
[Post edited 11 Aug 2020 12:44]

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

How are we all getting on in the brave new CV19 world? on 16:04 - Aug 11 with 1374 viewsKievthegreat

Workwise was crap. I was contracting so knew the axe would fall sooner rather than later and prepared for the inevitable. Working in a warehouse ATM and because of greatly reduced outgoings plus refunds, now in a better money situation despite the significant paycut. Wife is a key worker too, so it's weird as we've effectively not had any furlough or downtime so far closer to normal than some people will experience.

Very frustrating job searching since though, far fewer jobs in my field seem to be going, and when I've got through some interviews, the vacancy is being withdrawn and I'm being told "we'd like to consider you in the future". I'm certain I'll get back sooner or later, but frustrating.

Healthwise, fairly certain that the wife and I had it fairly mildly early March, but at the time couldn't get tested as we didn't need hospital treatment (thank god). My wife felt ill first, then 2 days later someone she liftshared with, then 2 days later me. Wife's co-worker got it really bad and was off work for 3 weeks and bedridden for most of it. It got to the stage where she had her kids calling 111 for her because she was so out of breath, but as a single parent with only elderly parents available to help her kids, she was desperate not to go in to hospital. She since has been donating plasma as she's apparently got a tonne of the antibodies they are looking for.

As for getting back to normal, being on the outskirts of Leicester we had a whole month extra lockdown so we've only just been able to get out and about, had dinner out with the in-laws for her birthday and going for a quiet meal out tonight, but it's still all very weird. Our lives usually revolved around watching Ice Hockey, but like all sport it's stopped (and as they can't operate financially behind closed doors is quite likely to just miss an entire season). So what would be normal weekend won't be back for a LONG time.

On the whole, we're healthy and financially secure. Seems a bit churlish to complain too much given a lot of people will be in far worse circumstances.
How are we all getting on in the brave new CV19 world? on 23:57 - Aug 11 with 1293 viewsMelford

Today was mental. Did 120 meals all day, 72 tonight and there's only been me cooking all day. That's what we'd normally do in a whole week including Sunday Roast.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

How are we all getting on in the brave new CV19 world? on 01:44 - Aug 12 with 1248 viewsStNeotsBlue

I've been back at work for the last 3 weeks as my girls.have gone back to their Mum's after what has been a wonderful opportunity to spend a lot more quality time with them than I would normally.

I'm self employed so the government scheme was helpful plus I was due to be taking the girls to my Dad's in the states next week so the money from the cancelled flights has been helpful.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024