Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why the need for a back up goalkeeper, use Wright as a back up. (n/t) 07:18 - Aug 13 with 6456 viewscarlisleaway

Why the need for a back up goalkeeper, use Wright as a back up. (n/t) on 07:22 - Aug 13 with 6163 viewsCoastalblue

Is he any where near good enough? Say he had to play for a two month spell, what could that mean for us?

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Why the need for a back up goalkeeper, use Wright as a back up. (n/t) on 07:44 - Aug 13 with 6115 viewsPJH

Why the need for a back up goalkeeper, use Wright as a back up. (n/t) on 07:22 - Aug 13 by Coastalblue

Is he any where near good enough? Say he had to play for a two month spell, what could that mean for us?

I would think that if it was believed that Wright or Przybek were anywhere near good enough for the possibility of a long spell in goal then we would not be looking at another keeper.
Why the need for a back up goalkeeper, use Wright as a back up. (n/t) on 08:11 - Aug 13 with 6066 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

With the salary cap we certainly don't need two "first choice" keepers like last season.

If we get a better back up in, we should get rid of at least one keeper.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Why the need for a back up goalkeeper, use Wright as a back up. (n/t) on 08:20 - Aug 13 with 6042 viewsrickw

Why the need for a back up goalkeeper, use Wright as a back up. (n/t) on 07:44 - Aug 13 by PJH

I would think that if it was believed that Wright or Przybek were anywhere near good enough for the possibility of a long spell in goal then we would not be looking at another keeper.

If at 20/21 they are no where near good enough being backup keeper for a L1 team then there is really no hope for either keeper!

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Why the need for a back up goalkeeper, use Wright as a back up. (n/t) on 08:36 - Aug 13 with 6022 viewsRegencyBlue

I’ve never seen him play but there are certainly areas of the team which require attention more than goalkeeper if he is anywhere near adequate so, presumably, he isn’t deemed to be good enough.
Why the need for a back up goalkeeper, use Wright as a back up. (n/t) on 08:41 - Aug 13 with 6006 viewsDyland

So Lambert can rotate them in a way that ensures it doesn't help the team.

Lambert's played in Europe though so he probably knows what h... oh.

ffs

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Why the need for a back up goalkeeper, use Wright as a back up. (n/t) on 09:15 - Aug 13 with 5937 viewsWickets

Why the need for a back up goalkeeper, use Wright as a back up. (n/t) on 07:22 - Aug 13 by Coastalblue

Cant be much worse than Norris turned out to be last season when you look back at his big mistakes and i think he was a quite expensive loan . Another senior keeper would be ideal but we are not going to get ideal under this Salary cap .
Why the need for a back up goalkeeper, use Wright as a back up. (n/t) on 09:28 - Aug 13 with 5896 viewsclive_baker

Could be in a bit of a pickle if Holy is crocked for a few months.

I do think the salary cap should focus us as to where within our squad we invest in wages. Central midfield looks heavy, so I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a Nolan, Huws or Dozzell move on should there be any interest. Wonder if we're regretting keeping Skuse now.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Login to get fewer ads

Why the need for a back up goalkeeper, use Wright as a back up. (n/t) on 09:49 - Aug 13 with 5837 viewsPJH

Why the need for a back up goalkeeper, use Wright as a back up. (n/t) on 08:20 - Aug 13 by rickw

If at 20/21 they are no where near good enough being backup keeper for a L1 team then there is really no hope for either keeper!

If we are looking at other goalkeepers the assumption has got to be that neither is considered good enough at the moment for the possibility of a lengthy spell as first choice.
By being a backup keeper there is always the possibility of the first choice keeper having a lengthy absence so you have to trust the backup keeper to be good enough to be first choice.
It seems that neither are considered good enough for becoming first choice.
Why the need for a back up goalkeeper, use Wright as a back up. (n/t) on 09:54 - Aug 13 with 5814 viewsPhilTWTD

Why the need for a back up goalkeeper, use Wright as a back up. (n/t) on 09:49 - Aug 13 by PJH

If we are looking at other goalkeepers the assumption has got to be that neither is considered good enough at the moment for the possibility of a lengthy spell as first choice.
By being a backup keeper there is always the possibility of the first choice keeper having a lengthy absence so you have to trust the backup keeper to be good enough to be first choice.
It seems that neither are considered good enough for becoming first choice.

Think experience is a big factor whether they're considered good enough or otherwise. Wright has played a very few non-league games when on loan and not one at senior level, while Przybek has played one Leasing.com Trophy match and a bit more thand Wright in non-league. It would be a big ask to require either of them to play for three months as a first choice if Holy got injured the day after the transfer window closed.

The plan with Wright was, I think, to send him out on loan to get games last season but he missed virtually the entire year with a kne injury. Think one of them will go out on loan this year, think both need to go out to get games.
Why the need for a back up goalkeeper, use Wright as a back up. (n/t) on 10:09 - Aug 13 with 5765 viewsPJH

Why the need for a back up goalkeeper, use Wright as a back up. (n/t) on 09:54 - Aug 13 by PhilTWTD

Think experience is a big factor whether they're considered good enough or otherwise. Wright has played a very few non-league games when on loan and not one at senior level, while Przybek has played one Leasing.com Trophy match and a bit more thand Wright in non-league. It would be a big ask to require either of them to play for three months as a first choice if Holy got injured the day after the transfer window closed.

The plan with Wright was, I think, to send him out on loan to get games last season but he missed virtually the entire year with a kne injury. Think one of them will go out on loan this year, think both need to go out to get games.

I agree with all that.

Maybe rather than saying they are not good enough it is more that they are not trusted enough-at the moment.

It must be a disadvantage for Harry Wright in a way because at various stages of his career so far people are always going to be looking at where Richard was at that point-about 200 first team games ahead at the moment I think-but for a keeper Richard Wright establishing himself so young was/is unusual.
This brings up another problem with our recent demise..... on 10:15 - Aug 13 with 5751 viewsBloots

Why the need for a back up goalkeeper, use Wright as a back up. (n/t) on 09:54 - Aug 13 by PhilTWTD

....in that getting decent experience for our youngsters is more difficult.

As a mid table 3rd Division team, if you aren't experienced enough to play for us what are the options?

You might get lucky and get a loan at a 4th Division club, but more likely you are looking at non league.

Does 20 games at Concord Rangers really achieve much?

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Why the need for a back up goalkeeper, use Wright as a back up. (n/t) on 10:22 - Aug 13 with 5740 viewsJ2BLUE

It seems a little odd with the salary cap but if it's a loan (no idea if it is) then we could potentially upgrade Wright for a season and make a net gain if we can find a Prem club willing to pay wages for a keeper and we can loan Wright out for a small cut of his wages.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

This brings up another problem with our recent demise..... on 10:24 - Aug 13 with 5736 viewsitfcjoe

This brings up another problem with our recent demise..... on 10:15 - Aug 13 by Bloots

As a mid table 3rd Division team, if you aren't experienced enough to play for us what are the options?

You might get lucky and get a loan at a 4th Division club, but more likely you are looking at non league.

Well we loaned Josh Emmanuel to this level and he subsequently was good enough to be a regular in a side that got promoted.....and then when we got into this division we deemed him not good enough and gave him away.

It's all just a big mess

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Why the need for a back up goalkeeper, use Wright as a back up. (n/t) on 10:34 - Aug 13 with 5695 viewsChrisd

Why the need for a back up goalkeeper, use Wright as a back up. (n/t) on 08:20 - Aug 13 by rickw

The Welsh lad has more room for manoeuvre than Wright as he has more time on his side. Wright is 22 in November, although I appreciate injury curtailed his progress last season, it's a big year for him. He really needs to step up as he seems no nearer to the first team than he was 2 or 3 season ago. If not, as you say RickW, it's then time for him to move on. Lets not forget, we ply our trade in L1 not the Championship or the EPL!
[Post edited 13 Aug 2020 10:36]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Why the need for a back up goalkeeper, use Wright as a back up. (n/t) on 10:36 - Aug 13 with 5687 viewsthatdamgood89

When money was tight we got through with Supple and Price as 1/2 and we didn't get relegated..shocker!

There is absolutely no need for a senior backup keeper in a salary cap world. Similar to building a fantasy football team, you put the most amount of resources into a position that can win you games and what's left if anything into the backup keeper.
[Post edited 13 Aug 2020 10:37]

Hey :) Please check out my Ipswich Town F.C podcast 'Talk Of The Town' https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPhPy_79sSvPSugh32vN8qg?view_as=subscriber Available every Wednesday on; YouTube Spotify Buzzsrpout Google Podcasts Itune Podcasts

This brings up another problem with our recent demise..... on 10:38 - Aug 13 with 5672 viewsPhilTWTD

This brings up another problem with our recent demise..... on 10:15 - Aug 13 by Bloots

Possible our youngsters could go to smaller clubs in this division, although probably not the keepers, who I reckon would hope to go to League Two or National League. Can see the point of a few early games at Concord etc but need to push on and up from there to get used to the pressure of playing for points, as Mick used to put it, and playing in front of bigger crowds.
Why the need for a back up goalkeeper, use Wright as a back up. (n/t) on 10:39 - Aug 13 with 5660 viewsTractorCam

*Przybek

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Why the need for a back up goalkeeper, use Wright as a back up. (n/t) on 10:42 - Aug 13 with 5640 viewsChrisd

Why the need for a back up goalkeeper, use Wright as a back up. (n/t) on 10:36 - Aug 13 by thatdamgood89

When money was tight we got through with Supple and Price as 1/2 and we didn't get relegated..shocker!

There is absolutely no need for a senior backup keeper in a salary cap world. Similar to building a fantasy football team, you put the most amount of resources into a position that can win you games and what's left if anything into the backup keeper.
[Post edited 13 Aug 2020 10:37]

Shane Supple was a very talented young keeper, regardless of his size and stature he had that confidence in his own ability and IMO was the better keeper than Price. From what I remember, there wasn't much hesitation with JR having him on the bench or playing him as a teenager. I just don't get that same feeling with Wright from our current management.
[Post edited 13 Aug 2020 10:48]

Why the need for a back up goalkeeper, use Wright as a back up. (n/t) on 10:49 - Aug 13 with 5614 viewsthatdamgood89

Why the need for a back up goalkeeper, use Wright as a back up. (n/t) on 10:42 - Aug 13 by Chrisd

Shane Supple was a very talented young keeper, regardless of his size and stature he had that confidence in his own ability and IMO was the better keeper than Price. From what I remember, there wasn't much hesitation with JR having him on the bench or playing him as a teenager. I just don't get that same feeling with Wright from our current management.

Thing is we don't know. I've seen both our young keepers play and at U23 level it's tricky to really get a handle and it's all projections.

Royle didn't hesitate with playing young players...
[Post edited 13 Aug 2020 10:50]

Hey :) Please check out my Ipswich Town F.C podcast 'Talk Of The Town' https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPhPy_79sSvPSugh32vN8qg?view_as=subscriber Available every Wednesday on; YouTube Spotify Buzzsrpout Google Podcasts Itune Podcasts

Why the need for a back up goalkeeper, use Wright as a back up. (n/t) on 10:54 - Aug 13 with 5589 viewshype313

Why the need for a back up goalkeeper, use Wright as a back up. (n/t) on 10:42 - Aug 13 by Chrisd

Joe made the point the other day that Wright is still quite slight, almost the same size as Dozzell, so he would definitely benefit from a loan for a year, to build up experience and to grow a bit more.

Sounds like it would be folly to have him as a Number 2 right now, as others have said if Holy were to get injured for a spell, it wouldn't be the best environment for Wright to come in.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Why the need for a back up goalkeeper, use Wright as a back up. (n/t) on 11:05 - Aug 13 with 5545 viewsChrisd

Why the need for a back up goalkeeper, use Wright as a back up. (n/t) on 10:54 - Aug 13 by hype313

Joe made the point the other day that Wright is still quite slight, almost the same size as Dozzell, so he would definitely benefit from a loan for a year, to build up experience and to grow a bit more.

Sounds like it would be folly to have him as a Number 2 right now, as others have said if Holy were to get injured for a spell, it wouldn't be the best environment for Wright to come in.

I suppose my point is Supple didn’t get much experience out on loan from when he moved up from the youth team, he was thrust right in. However, you could see he was good enough even then. With Wright, he just hasn’t played much full stop in any first team standard to build up that experience. He went out on loan to my local side Chelmsford City in 2019 and only played 3 games, but I can’t remember if that was down to injury or other reasons.

Why the need for a back up goalkeeper, use Wright as a back up. (n/t) on 11:29 - Aug 13 with 5508 viewsPhilTWTD

Why the need for a back up goalkeeper, use Wright as a back up. (n/t) on 10:09 - Aug 13 by PJH

I agree with all that.

Maybe rather than saying they are not good enough it is more that they are not trusted enough-at the moment.

It must be a disadvantage for Harry Wright in a way because at various stages of his career so far people are always going to be looking at where Richard was at that point-about 200 first team games ahead at the moment I think-but for a keeper Richard Wright establishing himself so young was/is unusual.

Indeed, and keepers in general establish themselves later than outfielders. Wright senior was exceptional, as you say.
Why the need for a back up goalkeeper, use Wright as a back up. (n/t) on 11:55 - Aug 13 with 5474 viewsDarth_Koont

Why the need for a back up goalkeeper, use Wright as a back up. (n/t) on 09:28 - Aug 13 by clive_baker

Could be in a bit of a pickle if Holy is crocked for a few months.

I do think the salary cap should focus us as to where within our squad we invest in wages. Central midfield looks heavy, so I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a Nolan, Huws or Dozzell move on should there be any interest. Wonder if we're regretting keeping Skuse now.

Although, Skuse is still our best out and out DM I’d imagine. And he might even work well in a 3 at the back as the old-fashioned libero.

But you’re right about the wage limitations focusing us a little more. As you say, players like Skuse would need to be seen much more as a necessity rather than bonus cover, experience around the club etc.

Pronouns: He/Him

Why the need for a back up goalkeeper, use Wright as a back up. (n/t) on 14:58 - Aug 13 with 5359 viewsBlueBadger

So that Lambert can destroy the confidence of an untested youngster as well as an experienced pro? Good idea.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024