Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I think we can now mostly acknowledge that 07:56 - Aug 17 with 4554 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Lambert is the reason for our 11th placed finish.

But, if we are recognising that fact, can we at least all recognise that, it that is true, it means that our of 5 managers hired, Evans has made bad decisions in 4 out of 5 opportunities, or at the very least, had the wool pulled over his eyes by four separate managers?

For all his financial input, the reason we've gone so far downhill, all rests with one man. Can we all now agree on that?

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

I think we can now mostly acknowledge that on 08:16 - Aug 17 with 4503 viewsPJH

In retrospect four out of five appointments have been shown to be bad/wrong although I think that there was acceptable logic applied to all four of those appointments at the time.

Having made a logical appointment on four occasions each, after varying amounts of time,were shown to be poor appointments and disastrously so.
I think we can now mostly acknowledge that on 08:18 - Aug 17 with 4492 viewsitfcjoe

Hopefully his 6th appointment is successful, and happens soon

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

I think we can now mostly acknowledge that on 08:29 - Aug 17 with 4454 viewsBluebell

Of course it all boils down to Evans not having a clue about football and not having anybody alongside him to advise him correctly.

If he had appointed someone from the start who knew Ipswich Town and could advise him things could be so different.

To my mind his first big mistake was getting rid of Jim Magilton when he did.

I still find it hard to believe he gave Lambert a 5 year contract. Why the hell didn’t he wait a few months? After all this time he still can’t get it right.

Oh for the days we sat in the middle of the Championship!
(No subject) (n/t) on 08:35 - Aug 17 with 4427 viewsBluebell

I think we can now mostly acknowledge that on 08:52 - Aug 17 with 4393 viewsChrisd

I think we can now mostly acknowledge that on 08:29 - Aug 17 by Bluebell

Of course it all boils down to Evans not having a clue about football and not having anybody alongside him to advise him correctly.

If he had appointed someone from the start who knew Ipswich Town and could advise him things could be so different.

I still find it hard to believe he gave Lambert a 5 year contract. Why the hell didn’t he wait a few months? After all this time he still can’t get it right.

Yep it’s embarrassing how he continually gets most things wrong. You would’ve thought for the length of time he’s been our owner he would’ve learnt from his mistakes? Sadly no and that’s why we find ourselves in this mess.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

I think we can now mostly acknowledge that on 09:04 - Aug 17 with 4361 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Right, so the players hold no blame for the 11th places finish last year...

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

I think we can now mostly acknowledge that on 09:21 - Aug 17 with 4317 viewsCheltenham_Blue

I think we can now mostly acknowledge that on 09:04 - Aug 17 by TheTrueBlue1878

Yes, the poorly managed players absolutely do.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

I think we can now mostly acknowledge that on 09:25 - Aug 17 with 4301 viewslongtimefan

I think we can now mostly acknowledge that on 08:16 - Aug 17 by PJH

In retrospect four out of five appointments have been shown to be bad/wrong although I think that there was acceptable logic applied to all four of those appointments at the time.

Having made a logical appointment on four occasions each, after varying amounts of time,were shown to be poor appointments and disastrously so.

Indeed. None of the appointments really attracted widespread criticism at the time they were made. Personally the only one I really objected to was Keane, but that was mainly because I despised the bloke even before he was appointed.
Login to get fewer ads

I think we can now mostly acknowledge that on 09:39 - Aug 17 with 4264 viewsArnieM

“ Lambert is the reason for our 11th placed finish”....

Whilst I complete agree this IS the reason , I think you find a lot of people on here actually attribute our 11th places finish to two players . Chambers & Skuse! Ridiculous really isn’t it but there you have it . The Ipswich mentality.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

I think we can now mostly acknowledge that on 09:43 - Aug 17 with 4255 viewsWD19

Try as I might, I can’t bring myself to throw stones at the owner for being ‘too patient’ with managers he has hired. As others have said, there was sound logic behind most of the hires.
I think we can now mostly acknowledge that on 09:51 - Aug 17 with 4219 viewshype313

I think we can now mostly acknowledge that on 09:43 - Aug 17 by WD19

Try as I might, I can’t bring myself to throw stones at the owner for being ‘too patient’ with managers he has hired. As others have said, there was sound logic behind most of the hires.

I was cautious around Keane's appointment, excited too, but thought it might be a car crash, Jewell seemed a good shout post Keane, and he still had some credit in the bank from his Wigan tenure. Was also happy when Mick took over as it seemed like a safe pair of hands after the crashes of the previous two, but was happy to see him go, both for him and us.

Hurst, again seemed like a positive appointment, to be fair we were screaming for a young dynamic manager, but that obviously went hugely pear shaped and in all honesty Lambert is the only one I have been 'meh' about, his history didn't suggest he wouldn't be a success, and as his time here has gone on, that has turned out to be correct.

Where we go from here is anyone's guess, I can't see Lambert being here bar a spectacular turnaround, so going forward what do we do? We are not as attractive as we once were, Managers know we have an owner not willing to spend huge sums, whilst the salary cap will add further headaches to anyone wanting to come in and overhaul.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

I think we can now mostly acknowledge that on 09:54 - Aug 17 with 4212 viewspatrickswell

Fully agree about Evans's culpability but as for the managers themselves...well as our current incumbent would say, "Dear, oh dear". The failures of coaching, selection, decision-making and man-management have been jaw-dropping. The fact that neither Keane or Jewell have managed a club since leaving us, while Hurst went from a big break in the Championship to the bottom of L2 inside a year tells you everything you need to know about how football at large viewed their performance. Keane and Jewell are even more culpable given that they were given decent money and utterly failed to improve on Jim Magilton's performance.

Take McCarthy's tenure out and this has to be the longest sustained run of poor managerial performance in the club's history. They don't even have the excuses that Milburn or Ferguson have in that they were managing in the top flight with an ageing squad or no money to replace great players. Even John Duncan can boast a much higher win percentage than Evans's picks.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2020 9:58]
I think we can now mostly acknowledge that on 10:15 - Aug 17 with 4140 viewsjayessess

I think we can now mostly acknowledge that on 09:04 - Aug 17 by TheTrueBlue1878

Of our 24 players, Lambert signed 5 of them and extended the contract on 13 of them. That leaves 6 (Jackson, Nydam, Nolan, Nsiala, Donacien and Huws) that Lambert isn't responsible for. Nydam's a kid. Lambert picked Jackson, Nolan and Huws regularly. Nsiala and Donacien spent most of last season out on loan.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

I think we can now mostly acknowledge that on 10:23 - Aug 17 with 4115 viewsPJH

I think we can now mostly acknowledge that on 09:25 - Aug 17 by longtimefan

Indeed. None of the appointments really attracted widespread criticism at the time they were made. Personally the only one I really objected to was Keane, but that was mainly because I despised the bloke even before he was appointed.

Certainly I did not like Keane and although I was not on TWTD at the time I wrote and had published my one and only letter to the EADT whilst he was here but his appointment made sense at the time.
Raised the profile of ITFC so much that they had a name change to RKIT and it was reasonably assumed that he would get the club promoted, whatever name they were using.
I think we can now mostly acknowledge that on 10:41 - Aug 17 with 4081 viewsGarv

I think we can now mostly acknowledge that on 09:25 - Aug 17 by longtimefan

Lots of people objected to Keane but enough people also bought the hype surrounding him. He was a terrible fit for our club.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

I think we can now mostly acknowledge that on 12:16 - Aug 17 with 3970 viewsChrisd

I think we can now mostly acknowledge that on 10:41 - Aug 17 by Garv

Lots of people objected to Keane but enough people also bought the hype surrounding him. He was a terrible fit for our club.

We needed someone that was going to get us up and RK had that Sunderland promotion high on his CV and had kept the Mackems in the top flight too (I think!) for a season. I was encouraged by his appointment, but I was equally concerned that with his character he wasn't an ITFC type, he was rather divisive and volatile.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

I think we can now mostly acknowledge that on 13:06 - Aug 17 with 3925 viewsSouperJim

I think we can now mostly acknowledge that on 12:16 - Aug 17 by Chrisd

We needed someone that was going to get us up and RK had that Sunderland promotion high on his CV and had kept the Mackems in the top flight too (I think!) for a season. I was encouraged by his appointment, but I was equally concerned that with his character he wasn't an ITFC type, he was rather divisive and volatile.

Even the best pick of the Evans era also fits into this category, Mick was a long way from an ITFC type for me.

If we've learned one thing about Evans, it's that he can't pick a manager to save his life and he should take the decision out of his own hands. Get a gaggle of old boys who understand the club in (Burley, Butcher, Mills, Dyer etc) and ask them to pick a new manager.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

I think we can now mostly acknowledge that on 14:13 - Aug 17 with 3847 viewspatrickswell

I think we can now mostly acknowledge that on 13:06 - Aug 17 by SouperJim

Even the best pick of the Evans era also fits into this category, Mick was a long way from an ITFC type for me.

If we've learned one thing about Evans, it's that he can't pick a manager to save his life and he should take the decision out of his own hands. Get a gaggle of old boys who understand the club in (Burley, Butcher, Mills, Dyer etc) and ask them to pick a new manager.

It’s interesting to remember the circumstances behind the appointments. I fully backed Keane because I thought he may be able to bring the elusive “winners’ mentality” to Magilton’s talented but mentally fragile team. It didn’t work for a whole host of reasons.

Jewell was ostensibly brought in to to try and lift the mood. I’ve sometimes felt he planned to play the long game with us but that glut of signing made before the start of his first full season was a sign of the incoherent thinking that would dog his reign. By the end his side was as weak and punchless as anything we’ve seen in the past two years.

McCarthy was one of a glut of managers who started new jobs in October/November 2012. How would Sean Dyche, Eddie Howe, Ian Holloway, Henning Berg or Michael Appleton have coped with a bottom of the table Ipswich side predominantly made up of loaned players at that time? I put, in large part, McCarthy’s failure to follow what Holloway, Dyche and Howe did over the following years more on Evans’s shoulders than Mick’s. The only manager of Evans’s era who doesn’t need to apologise for his results.

If the club were looking for an opposite to McCarthy in 2018, they should have moved hell and high water to land Graham Potter who at least had more experience than Lampard, as indeed did Hurst. Hurst should have worked given his record for building clubs up and improving them. A few more mid-table Championship seasons would have meant Evans could continue to do nothing while claiming we were building as part of a long-term plan. But he got someone who provoked players and coaches into mutiny and now in Lambert he has the kind of manager that we’re now stuck with for as long as Evans remains - a chancer who’s desperate for a job to prolong his career. The Lampards and Potters won’t give us time of day now because of an owner who just wants a quiet life and will make no moves to back any manager who gets the club to a competitive position. The tired old failures and round the track too many times will rub their hands with glee at the prospect of applying for a job under the gullible fool who hands out contracts for empty gestures rather than positive results.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2020 14:24]
I think we can now mostly acknowledge that on 14:15 - Aug 17 with 3822 viewsitfcjoe

I think we can now mostly acknowledge that on 09:51 - Aug 17 by hype313

I was cautious around Keane's appointment, excited too, but thought it might be a car crash, Jewell seemed a good shout post Keane, and he still had some credit in the bank from his Wigan tenure. Was also happy when Mick took over as it seemed like a safe pair of hands after the crashes of the previous two, but was happy to see him go, both for him and us.

Hurst, again seemed like a positive appointment, to be fair we were screaming for a young dynamic manager, but that obviously went hugely pear shaped and in all honesty Lambert is the only one I have been 'meh' about, his history didn't suggest he wouldn't be a success, and as his time here has gone on, that has turned out to be correct.

Where we go from here is anyone's guess, I can't see Lambert being here bar a spectacular turnaround, so going forward what do we do? We are not as attractive as we once were, Managers know we have an owner not willing to spend huge sums, whilst the salary cap will add further headaches to anyone wanting to come in and overhaul.

I'm of an age where I just want someone decent here, a decent man as well as manager.

I was really excited by Keane when he was appointed, naively so, but I was young, and I think being my age now I'd be able to look at it a bit more clearly and see he wasn't the right fit.

Mick ticked some of the boxes but was never the right fit for the club and what it aspires do, but did a very good job when here.

Lambert is just a joke for me, and his backroom staff are too - their antics on the sidelines, the amount of bookings we pick up. I just don't like them. PR Paul hasn't made a statement to the press in weeks - we've just announced 3 signings and not even a word from the manager on the story when the deals were done Friday. All so weird.

I'm basically in the Anyone But Lambert camp at the moment, just know this season is goign to play out with a poor start and him going and wasting the first few weeks of it

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

I think we can now mostly acknowledge that on 14:29 - Aug 17 with 3780 viewstractorboy1978

I think we can now mostly acknowledge that on 14:15 - Aug 17 by itfcjoe

I'm of an age where I just want someone decent here, a decent man as well as manager.

I was really excited by Keane when he was appointed, naively so, but I was young, and I think being my age now I'd be able to look at it a bit more clearly and see he wasn't the right fit.

Mick ticked some of the boxes but was never the right fit for the club and what it aspires do, but did a very good job when here.

Lambert is just a joke for me, and his backroom staff are too - their antics on the sidelines, the amount of bookings we pick up. I just don't like them. PR Paul hasn't made a statement to the press in weeks - we've just announced 3 signings and not even a word from the manager on the story when the deals were done Friday. All so weird.

I'm basically in the Anyone But Lambert camp at the moment, just know this season is goign to play out with a poor start and him going and wasting the first few weeks of it

Mowbray ticks all the boxes doesn't he but unfortunately that boat has been missed.

I know what you are saying about a lack of words from Lambert lately but to be honest I am fed up of the hot air. We just need to deliver on the pitch, no excuses as this squad is good enough to get promoted if managed properly.
I think we can now mostly acknowledge that on 15:57 - Aug 17 with 3707 viewsSwansea_Blue

I think we can now mostly acknowledge that on 08:29 - Aug 17 by Bluebell

I often to compare with what's going on down here at Swansea as they've been on a similar kind of journey to us but a decade later. They had non-footballing owners come in, who are not based locally - their first priority was retaining Huw Jenkins as Chairman as he knew the club and the game inside out. And then when he left, they went out and bought in a new extremely experienced Chairman (Trevor Birch) to continue to run the club on a day to day basis - he's held chief exec/chairman roles at Chelsea, Everton, Leeds, Sheffield United and Derby. It can still go wrong of course, but you give yourself so much more of a chance with senior staff who know what they're doing (all the more important when you don't).

Evans hired Clegg who had zero experience or contacts in the game whatsoever. That tells you everything you need to know about Evan's poor judgement.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

I think we can now mostly acknowledge that on 22:25 - Aug 17 with 3608 viewsBryanPlug

I think we can now mostly acknowledge that on 08:18 - Aug 17 by itfcjoe

Hopefully his 6th appointment is successful, and happens soon

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024