Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Should we field the youth team in the cups? 17:08 - Aug 17 with 2182 viewsJ2BLUE

We will play a minimum of 51 matches next season. With a lot of midweek games to cram in would anyone care if we played the youth team/younger players on the fringes of the first team?

You can make your own jokes about how we haven't bothered with the league/FA cups for years but would anyone care if we openly overlook them? There doesn't seem to be any real consequences other than £15,000 in fines for the EFL trophy and it would surely be worth that to get a decent look at the younger players in competitive games.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Should we field the youth team in the cups? on 17:10 - Aug 17 with 2171 viewsCoco

yep - should be a fitness and experience exercise.

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

Should we field the youth team in the cups? on 17:13 - Aug 17 with 2147 viewsMattinLondon

Personally I think you need a mix of both youth and experience in cup games. Youngsters can be talked through a game with someone experienced playing along side them.

Obviously in cup games the squad itself will be top heavy with youth players but an experienced head will be of huge benefit to a young player.
Should we field the youth team in the cups? on 17:16 - Aug 17 with 2140 viewsJ2BLUE

Should we field the youth team in the cups? on 17:13 - Aug 17 by MattinLondon

Personally I think you need a mix of both youth and experience in cup games. Youngsters can be talked through a game with someone experienced playing along side them.

Obviously in cup games the squad itself will be top heavy with youth players but an experienced head will be of huge benefit to a young player.

I was thinking the likes of Dozzell and Kenlock could do that job. Let them be the leaders.

Truly impaired.

Should we field the youth team in the cups? on 17:17 - Aug 17 with 2139 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

There's no need to rest a whole team for cup games, bring a few youngsters in for the cups maybe, but not change the whole XI.

We are a football club, we should be trying to win football matches.

I know everyone craves promotion and the opportunity to lose £15-20m per year, but let's just try to win each football match we play.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Should we field the youth team in the cups? on 17:18 - Aug 17 with 2133 viewsRadlett_blue

As we now have 42 professionals under contract, putting out a side shouldn't exactly be a problem.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Should we field the youth team in the cups? on 17:25 - Aug 17 with 2101 viewsBlueBadger

Should we field the youth team in the cups? on 17:18 - Aug 17 by Radlett_blue

As we now have 42 professionals under contract, putting out a side shouldn't exactly be a problem.

Putting out the SAME side two games running however...

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Should we field the youth team in the cups? on 17:43 - Aug 17 with 2057 viewsBlueBadger

Well, it worked so well last season in aiding our promotion push...

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Should we field the youth team in the cups? on 17:53 - Aug 17 with 2037 viewsParisBlue

With the exception of the EFL trophy we should try and win every game, put our strongest team whether it be league or cup.

Let's get a winning mentality.

Surely with the number of games in a compressed timescale the teams to benefit will be those with the bigger squads. You saw this when the premier league returned after Covid.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Login to get fewer ads

Should we field the youth team in the cups? on 18:01 - Aug 17 with 2031 viewsShawsey

The trouble is, that other clubs will probably do the same, so the kids will end up playing the kids. Try and win every match would be my advice. We have a not lose mentality at the club at the moment, lets have a winning mentality instead. With the size of our squad, the amount of games shouldn't be a problem. Try and win every match we play.
Should we field the youth team in the cups? on 18:14 - Aug 17 with 1994 viewsJimmyJazz

Should we field the youth team in the cups? on 18:01 - Aug 17 by Shawsey

The trouble is, that other clubs will probably do the same, so the kids will end up playing the kids. Try and win every match would be my advice. We have a not lose mentality at the club at the moment, lets have a winning mentality instead. With the size of our squad, the amount of games shouldn't be a problem. Try and win every match we play.

That 'not lose' mentality surely left with Mick

Now we have a 'lose' mentality

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

Should we field the youth team in the cups? on 18:19 - Aug 17 with 1983 viewsJ2BLUE

Should we field the youth team in the cups? on 17:18 - Aug 17 by Radlett_blue

True but we also had a big squad last season and Lambert still wanted to rotate heavily.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2020 18:20]

Truly impaired.

Should we field the youth team in the cups? on 19:55 - Aug 17 with 1884 viewsSwansea_Blue

I'd flip it. Play the youth team under nash in the league and Lambert's 'first' team in the pointless cups. Might stand a chance of getting out of this league then .

As I've mentioned Nash, I see he is still the U23 boss according to a news item on here a couple of weeks ago. I thought he'd moved on in the last year or so?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Should we field the youth team in the cups? on 20:53 - Aug 17 with 1820 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

A blend for me.

Wright
Donacien - Nsiala - Ndaba - Kenlock
McGavin - Dozzell
Brown - Judge - Sears
Hawkins

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Should we field the youth team in the cups? on 21:35 - Aug 17 with 1786 viewspointofblue

Field our second XI. At the moment that’s probably something like Holy, Donacien, Kenlock, Nsiala, Wilson, Skuse, Dozzell, Nolan, Lankester, Judge, Sears but I’m sure there will be changes to the squad between now and the start of the season.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Should we field the youth team in the cups? on 21:40 - Aug 17 with 1776 viewsPJH

Should we field the youth team in the cups? on 21:35 - Aug 17 by pointofblue

Field our second XI. At the moment that’s probably something like Holy, Donacien, Kenlock, Nsiala, Wilson, Skuse, Dozzell, Nolan, Lankester, Judge, Sears but I’m sure there will be changes to the squad between now and the start of the season.

I know Edwards is poor but him only making the third XI.....
Should we field the youth team in the cups? on 21:51 - Aug 17 with 1756 viewspointofblue

Should we field the youth team in the cups? on 21:40 - Aug 17 by PJH

I know Edwards is poor but him only making the third XI.....

No, he’s in the first XI... at right back.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Should we field the youth team in the cups? on 00:31 - Aug 18 with 1678 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Yes.

Unless we draw the scum. Then we should be fielding our best team.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Should we field the youth team in the cups? on 08:18 - Aug 18 with 1574 viewshaynes_toe1

When have we benefitted in the league from being dumped out in the cup by some (previously, but now on par) irrelevant team?

Especially with general fan reaction then worsening the mood etc we'd be much better off trying to actually win all the game we're involved in. Seems like a moot point when Lambert's in charge but hey-ho.
Should we field the youth team in the cups? on 08:41 - Aug 18 with 1545 viewsMeadowlark

No.
What a load of rubbish.
This is a new idea brought in by premier league teams with huge squads. We should be going into every game aiming to win it with our best team. It always pi55es me off that the first league cup tie, second match of the season, when we need to be building some team spirit and cohesion that we bring in all these fringe players.
Let's get back to having a first-team, that plays week in week out unless there's an injury. These are young professional sportsmen, it's well within their capabilities to play every match. If someone does show some sign of fatigue, treat it the same as an injury and rest them for a match.
Should we field the youth team in the cups? on 08:47 - Aug 18 with 1539 viewsPhilTWTD

While we won't play the youth team - although some of them will be involved in the EFL Trophy - I don't think there's any doubt we'll play fringe players in the cups. The season will be two games a week for long periods so there's no way first-team regulars are going to be played into the ground.
Should we field the youth team in the cups? on 08:50 - Aug 18 with 1532 viewsJ2BLUE

Should we field the youth team in the cups? on 08:41 - Aug 18 by Meadowlark

No.
What a load of rubbish.
This is a new idea brought in by premier league teams with huge squads. We should be going into every game aiming to win it with our best team. It always pi55es me off that the first league cup tie, second match of the season, when we need to be building some team spirit and cohesion that we bring in all these fringe players.
Let's get back to having a first-team, that plays week in week out unless there's an injury. These are young professional sportsmen, it's well within their capabilities to play every match. If someone does show some sign of fatigue, treat it the same as an injury and rest them for a match.

Way to miss the point. In any normal season I would agree but we've lost 5 weeks due to the pandemic. Have you seen the schedule?

Truly impaired.

Should we field the youth team in the cups? on 09:47 - Aug 18 with 1496 viewsChocorange

Should we field the youth team in the cups? on 21:51 - Aug 17 by pointofblue

No, he’s in the first XI... at right back.

Vincent Young in the third team then?
Should we field the youth team in the cups? on 16:34 - Aug 18 with 1428 viewsMeadowlark

Should we field the youth team in the cups? on 08:50 - Aug 18 by J2BLUE

Way to miss the point. In any normal season I would agree but we've lost 5 weeks due to the pandemic. Have you seen the schedule?

No, I hadn't seen the schedule to be honest. If it's two games a week for ever, then I concede that that's a tough schedule and perhaps we should have a different cup team. But in that case my anger is aimed at the FL instead. What a stupid way to organise things!
There's going to be nobody at these matches, so no revenue, so why not just cancel the league Cup this season?
Should we field the youth team in the cups? on 17:02 - Aug 18 with 1392 viewsRadlett_blue

Should we field the youth team in the cups? on 16:34 - Aug 18 by Meadowlark

No, I hadn't seen the schedule to be honest. If it's two games a week for ever, then I concede that that's a tough schedule and perhaps we should have a different cup team. But in that case my anger is aimed at the FL instead. What a stupid way to organise things!
There's going to be nobody at these matches, so no revenue, so why not just cancel the league Cup this season?

The only reason to keep the League Cup going is that the latest 5 year deal provides $160m in TV revenue. This is a pitiful £25m a season & most of it will go to the big boys, as theirs are always the televised games. Prize money is also derisory & it only really generated much gate money if you get to the semi final. However, the big clubs like it as it provides run-outs for their younger players & also a tin pot trophy for one of them so it's going to continue. Man City have won 5 of the last 7 finals & the others have been Man U & Chelsea. I wouldn't be sorry if it was discontinued & don't blame Town for not taking it too seriously, although the semi final against Arsenal was one of the few bits of excitement ITFC have given me over the last 15 years.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024