Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Thoughts on last night? 08:22 - Sep 9 with 3382 viewsitfcjoe

Disappointed to lose, but think there were enough positives to be able to just add it to a pre season friendly slate and not worry.

THink we struggled to up tempo at certain points, but when we did we looked like we could score.

Biggest issue last year was creating good chances and we seemed to do that last night - Sofa Score had it as 7 'Big Chances' - and despite a disappointing performance we still had Drinan, Judge and Huws hit the woodwork, Nolan miss a one on one, Chambers have one off the line, Norwood the same - so I'll take that away from it.

Important that we get some of the squad back fit before the weekend, and that we clarify who is going to be here (Downes and Jackson?) and that we can get off to a good start

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Thoughts on last night? on 08:25 - Sep 9 with 2743 viewsportmanking

You're absolutely right about the 'Big Chances' thing. As most managers say, if the chances keep coming, goals will eventually start flowing. At the very least that game should have gone to penalties last night, but a mixture of misfortune and great goalkeeping thwarted us.

We can't lose our heads about the playing style after one unfortunate result. We need to stick with this for months, not days.
Thoughts on last night? on 08:26 - Sep 9 with 2726 viewsMenton

Only concern for me is that again we looked good when we press high and keep a very high tempo , hunting in packs, high energy etc, but I’m not sure we can keep up then intensity for 90 minutes, which leads to ‘games of two halves’.

Gareth McCauley in Dead Man's Shoes
Poll: Which of our strikers will get injured for the Republic of Ireland tomorrow?

Thoughts on last night? on 08:27 - Sep 9 with 2713 viewsHerbivore

Not sure we'll get the clarity over who is staying and who is going with over a month of the transfer window still to run. We do need a few players back to bolster the side. Hard to read much into the two cup games, both essentially semi-competitive preseason friendlies for me.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Thoughts on last night? on 08:27 - Sep 9 with 2710 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Pretty well balanced that.

Reflecting in the morning it's obviously ok to be a bit frustrated and a bit of worry because on paper it was good team out out. But it wasn't a terrible performance or a 'same a slash year' thing. Like you say chances were created and on another night we win and no issues.

Ward, Nsiala make a big difference in physicality. Hopefully Downes can get back playing and a fit Norwood with confidence will make a massive difference. Bring on Wigan!

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

Thoughts on last night? on 08:37 - Sep 9 with 2673 viewsIpswichKnight

For me two negatives

1) We look very light in midfield without Downes giving it some bite

2) Our set pieces were not good again, very little bite and pace on the crosses most were floated in high. We did put a good couple in towards the end of the game but we didn't look to dominate the kids from the earlier ones.

Plenty of Positives though

Ndaba had a good game along with Woolfy. We are creating lots of chances and as has been said we could have scored 4 or 5 on another night. Good for Norwood to get some game time as well.
Thoughts on last night? on 08:38 - Sep 9 with 2663 viewsStadiumofdark

Good first half - struggled to replicate / stamp out authority second half.

Dozzell some lovely work, same from Nbada.

Lots of chances, just need to take them.

Missing some pace (KYV + Jackson?) in the side.

I just don't "get" Nolan
Thoughts on last night? on 08:40 - Sep 9 with 2654 viewsgordon

The main worry for me last night was using Judge and Edwards in the wide forward positions - I think basically if we've decided on 4-3-3 then we should be looking to sell Edwards, and for me Judge is also probably surplus to requirements in a 4-3-3.

I'd be looking at playing Sears, Jackson, Lankester and Dobra in the wide forward positions so we are more incisive and threatening from wide positions, but with more energy and cover in the midfield 3. Dozzell was excellent on the ball last night, but I would swap Nolan for Downes (or Skuse if Downes is off) so he has more cover, and then effectively Bishop is competing with Huws for the other position, with Huws probably preferred against bigger/stronger teams.

Also thought that Drinan looked really good as a mobile, strong centre-forward, able to bring others in to the play, better suited to the 4-3-3 than Norwood in my opinion.
Thoughts on last night? on 08:44 - Sep 9 with 2615 viewsMonkeyAlan

Nothing positive losing to an under 21 team. Embarrassing more like, especially as it was really our senior players. People got carried away after the Burton game last season, so ld hold back at the moment. We really ain't all that, as people will see once the season gets going. The usual suspects will revert back to type. In fact Judge and Bishop look like they already did last night.
Login to get fewer ads

Thoughts on last night? on 08:48 - Sep 9 with 2588 viewsBryanPlug

Thoughts on last night? on 08:44 - Sep 9 by MonkeyAlan

Nothing positive losing to an under 21 team. Embarrassing more like, especially as it was really our senior players. People got carried away after the Burton game last season, so ld hold back at the moment. We really ain't all that, as people will see once the season gets going. The usual suspects will revert back to type. In fact Judge and Bishop look like they already did last night.

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Thoughts on last night? on 08:54 - Sep 9 with 2544 viewsBrixtonBlue

Thoughts on last night? on 08:48 - Sep 9 by BryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

You should read the OP. Despite being a Lambert-Outer, Joe has given a balanced and sensible review there. You should try it some time, when you're older.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Thoughts on last night? on 08:55 - Sep 9 with 2523 viewshype313

As you say, we could have scored a hat full only to be denied by the woodwork, if we weren't creating chances then that's where I would be concerned, but we did and that is something we can be happy about.

Also, I know these were Arsenal's Kids, but by all accounts they are highly thought of and a number of them could have very successful careers.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Thoughts on last night? on 08:57 - Sep 9 with 2516 viewsitfcjoe

Thoughts on last night? on 08:44 - Sep 9 by MonkeyAlan

I don't disagree with all of that, on the face of it it is embarrassing but hard to see these games as anything but pre season friendlies until Sunday

The classic don't get too high after the wins (Saturday) or too low after the defeats (last night). I mentioned on another thread, but Lambert has wasted all the credit he had in the bank, and now when we look like trying to build something he doesn't have enough credit for there to be bumps along the way - that's all his own fault but leaves little margin for error.

A poor start in the league and pressure will be at boiling point quickly

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Thoughts on last night? on 09:07 - Sep 9 with 2460 viewsMonkeyAlan

Thoughts on last night? on 08:57 - Sep 9 by itfcjoe

I don't disagree with all of that, on the face of it it is embarrassing but hard to see these games as anything but pre season friendlies until Sunday

The classic don't get too high after the wins (Saturday) or too low after the defeats (last night). I mentioned on another thread, but Lambert has wasted all the credit he had in the bank, and now when we look like trying to build something he doesn't have enough credit for there to be bumps along the way - that's all his own fault but leaves little margin for error.

I'm afraid he has lost all his credit with me, yes. He should have been long gone. But because of circumstances and Evans stupid contract we are stuck. My worry is, we will be too far into yet another season before something is done. Because l can only see too many of these players returning to type, as l previously said. And this season is way too important to throw away. If we don't go up this time, we could be here or lower for years.
You really are a strange one Dolly..... on 09:08 - Sep 9 with 2459 viewsBloots

Thoughts on last night? on 08:54 - Sep 9 by BrixtonBlue

You should read the OP. Despite being a Lambert-Outer, Joe has given a balanced and sensible review there. You should try it some time, when you're older.

.....you bang on about people bickering and how the board is a terrible place, even making comments about how Phil doesn't ban enough people for trolling.

Yet you dive in on every discussion, often ones that you aren't even involved in, and try to provoke people with snidey little insults.

I hope you are enjoying your holiday.

Lambert out.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Thoughts on last night? on 09:10 - Sep 9 with 2443 viewshype313

Thoughts on last night? on 09:07 - Sep 9 by MonkeyAlan

I'm afraid he has lost all his credit with me, yes. He should have been long gone. But because of circumstances and Evans stupid contract we are stuck. My worry is, we will be too far into yet another season before something is done. Because l can only see too many of these players returning to type, as l previously said. And this season is way too important to throw away. If we don't go up this time, we could be here or lower for years.

Agree, think this could be our sliding doors moment, not to dissimilar to January 2015 when we had the chance to strengthen.

Think Evans will rue not getting rid and giving new guy a chance to have a real good long look at the squad.

I hope to be proved wrong and will gladly eat humble pie if so, but nothing has really changed for me.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Thoughts on last night? on 09:12 - Sep 9 with 2431 viewsHullblue

Thoughts on last night? on 08:40 - Sep 9 by gordon

The main worry for me last night was using Judge and Edwards in the wide forward positions - I think basically if we've decided on 4-3-3 then we should be looking to sell Edwards, and for me Judge is also probably surplus to requirements in a 4-3-3.

I'd be looking at playing Sears, Jackson, Lankester and Dobra in the wide forward positions so we are more incisive and threatening from wide positions, but with more energy and cover in the midfield 3. Dozzell was excellent on the ball last night, but I would swap Nolan for Downes (or Skuse if Downes is off) so he has more cover, and then effectively Bishop is competing with Huws for the other position, with Huws probably preferred against bigger/stronger teams.

Also thought that Drinan looked really good as a mobile, strong centre-forward, able to bring others in to the play, better suited to the 4-3-3 than Norwood in my opinion.

Got to admit that my heart sank when I saw that Judge was playing wide on Saturday - most of the time when I’ve seen him play there he just lacks the pace you need to skip around people and it makes us look so pedestrian.

But I thought he was good on Saturday - at times he came inside, Bishop or Chambers ran around him and we looked dangerous. He put one on a plate for Drinian too. He will help us keep the ball better from that position than one of our quicker players so as long as we have someone who’s stretching the play on the other side, like Sears or Jackson, maybe it works.

Having said all that, last night doesn’t sound great! Either way it seems like we’ve suddenly got good options in wide areas. Sears and Jackson either side of a number 9 sounds like goals to me.

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

Thoughts on last night? on 09:13 - Sep 9 with 2430 viewsDanTheMan

Thoughts on last night? on 08:57 - Sep 9 by itfcjoe

Think I'm here, it is disappointing with our first team to lose that game but I couldn't give a toss about the EFL Trophy in all honesty.

Now if we start off quickly losing the league games, he needs to go and pronto. Ideally before all the other free managers right now get snapped up in the merry-go-round.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

I thought we started really well last night..... on 09:14 - Sep 9 with 2426 viewsBloots

....the Arsenal youth were chasing shadows for large parts of the first half.

Dozzell was spraying it around with impunity.

My concern was how quickly the roles reversed though. For the first 30 mins of the second half we couldn't get near the ball. If a team of (albeit talented) teenagers can dominate us like that then we clearly still have a lot of work to do.

The last 15 mins was a bit chaotic and we had a handful of decent chances, but they were mainly down to tiredness and the game getting stretched.

Goodness knows what the team will be on Sunday, I can't see Downes or Jackson taking part, potentially never again.

A makeshift defence is a worry.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Thoughts on last night? on 09:25 - Sep 9 with 2338 viewsBluefish

Firmly back into improved performances territory

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Thoughts on last night? on 09:26 - Sep 9 with 2341 viewsgordon

Thoughts on last night? on 09:12 - Sep 9 by Hullblue

Got to admit that my heart sank when I saw that Judge was playing wide on Saturday - most of the time when I’ve seen him play there he just lacks the pace you need to skip around people and it makes us look so pedestrian.

But I thought he was good on Saturday - at times he came inside, Bishop or Chambers ran around him and we looked dangerous. He put one on a plate for Drinian too. He will help us keep the ball better from that position than one of our quicker players so as long as we have someone who’s stretching the play on the other side, like Sears or Jackson, maybe it works.

Having said all that, last night doesn’t sound great! Either way it seems like we’ve suddenly got good options in wide areas. Sears and Jackson either side of a number 9 sounds like goals to me.

Not really convinced - I think Judge would only work in that wide position and provide a balanced attack if, like you say, we had other players really able to bomb on past him, but I don't think Lambert really thinks about the way players fit together in a system like that.

Because we generally don't have much goal threat from our midfielders, I'm afraid that if we are effectively playing midfielders in the two wide forward positions we'll struggle to score.
You really are a strange one Dolly..... on 09:27 - Sep 9 with 2327 viewsBluefish

You really are a strange one Dolly..... on 09:08 - Sep 9 by Bloots

.....you bang on about people bickering and how the board is a terrible place, even making comments about how Phil doesn't ban enough people for trolling.

Yet you dive in on every discussion, often ones that you aren't even involved in, and try to provoke people with snidey little insults.

Lambert out.

When Dolly wasn't here there wasn't anyone to keep pointing out the bickering and bitchiness.....coincidently there wasn't any though

You really are a strange one Dolly..... on 09:33 - Sep 9 with 2285 viewsWeWereZombies

Lambert out.

In fairness to Dolly, it was not too bad a comment upon the thread until those last three words...which may seem more appropriate to the one posting than the one posted against.

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Thoughts on last night? on 09:34 - Sep 9 with 2275 viewsHullblue

Thoughts on last night? on 09:26 - Sep 9 by gordon

Not really convinced - I think Judge would only work in that wide position and provide a balanced attack if, like you say, we had other players really able to bomb on past him, but I don't think Lambert really thinks about the way players fit together in a system like that.

Because we generally don't have much goal threat from our midfielders, I'm afraid that if we are effectively playing midfielders in the two wide forward positions we'll struggle to score.

Yeah I’m not sure he does either! But maybe he’s fallen onto a solution. You can imagine KVY bombing past Judge when he comes inside. Then as long as Jackson or Sears are on the other side it could work like it did on Saturday.

Lankester offers a bit of both wide player types so it will be interesting when he comes back too. Not sure why I’m feeling so optimistic this morning.

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

You really are a strange one Dolly..... on 09:38 - Sep 9 with 2249 viewsBrixtonBlue

Lambert out.

No, it's people like Plug that cause the divisiveness with their pathetic and constant moaning. All I'm looking for is evenhandedness. Joe, despite being a firm Outer, has given it. Plug hasn't, and I have every right to call him out for it.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

You really are a strange one Dolly..... on 09:47 - Sep 9 with 2200 viewsBluefish

You really are a strange one Dolly..... on 09:38 - Sep 9 by BrixtonBlue

No, it's people like Plug that cause the divisiveness with their pathetic and constant moaning. All I'm looking for is evenhandedness. Joe, despite being a firm Outer, has given it. Plug hasn't, and I have every right to call him out for it.

Did you type that whilst stamping your feet?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024