Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
5 defeats from the last 7/8 games now 07:12 - Nov 11 with 1756 viewsdavblue

It’s not a good sign, I know people will say a couple of them were cup games without the 1st team and we had a few contentious decisions against us.

But it’s still worrying, the same old issues are starting to show, not really creating huge amounts. It’s going to be an interesting 6 weeks or so, starting to get to make or break time for Lambert.
[Post edited 11 Nov 2020 8:53]
5 defeats from the last 7/8 games now on 07:43 - Nov 11 with 1480 viewsWD19

We are long since past the ‘worrying’ phase. They have been very predictable. Almost inevitable.
5 defeats from the last 7/8 games now on 08:01 - Nov 11 with 1447 viewsITFC_Forever

It's almost like we're not very good....

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

5 defeats from the last 7/8 games now on 08:32 - Nov 11 with 1387 viewspatrickswell

In context though, 3 of those defeats were handed to the opposition with gift wrapping and scented bows by the officials. I mean we’re talking Grade A, stabbing us in the scrotum levels of “Take that, Ipswich! I’m going to decisively make this game harder for you to get anything from. And I can because I’m the referee.”

Last night we lost with a team whose average age was 18.5 years old (and even they apparently weren’t given a nailed on handball and saw a Crawley player let off for going over the top of the ball on our second youngest ever player.)

I do get though that it’s frustrating to be sitting through losses again, despite the extenuating circumstances. All we can do is hope that we stay ruthless against the lesser teams in this division and start turning these harsh, narrow defeats against the other contenders around.
5 defeats from the last 7/8 games now on 08:48 - Nov 11 with 1364 viewsdavblue

5 defeats from the last 7/8 games now on 08:32 - Nov 11 by patrickswell

In context though, 3 of those defeats were handed to the opposition with gift wrapping and scented bows by the officials. I mean we’re talking Grade A, stabbing us in the scrotum levels of “Take that, Ipswich! I’m going to decisively make this game harder for you to get anything from. And I can because I’m the referee.”

Last night we lost with a team whose average age was 18.5 years old (and even they apparently weren’t given a nailed on handball and saw a Crawley player let off for going over the top of the ball on our second youngest ever player.)

I do get though that it’s frustrating to be sitting through losses again, despite the extenuating circumstances. All we can do is hope that we stay ruthless against the lesser teams in this division and start turning these harsh, narrow defeats against the other contenders around.

yeah maybe but we still lost them whatever happened in the games and we've not been convincing in a couple of games that we won in those 8 games.

We have no divine right to win every game and we will lose games but imo the same old failings are happening again and i don't expect they will be rectified.

Hope im wrong on this but this is starting to feel like the beginning of the end.
5 defeats from the last 7/8 games now on 08:51 - Nov 11 with 1353 viewsbraveblue

Bit unfair. Two games were reserve sides. Ref cost us big time at a Sunderland. We went there and outplayed them. Also at Lincoln. With a bit of luck it would be a really good position. As it stands we are second. Too much gloom on here.
5 defeats from the last 7/8 games now on 08:56 - Nov 11 with 1336 viewsdavblue

5 defeats from the last 7/8 games now on 08:51 - Nov 11 by braveblue

Bit unfair. Two games were reserve sides. Ref cost us big time at a Sunderland. We went there and outplayed them. Also at Lincoln. With a bit of luck it would be a really good position. As it stands we are second. Too much gloom on here.

said there were some mitigating circumstances but it's still 5 defeats from 8 games however you try to dress it up.

Sunderland we hardly created anything despite playing well with the ball.

When you watch us do you look at us and think that's a team that will be promoted? I personally don't think the automatic places will be beyond us and we might get into the play offs but i wouldn't bank on it with Lambert in charge.
"Yeah but, the refs and that" (n/t) on 09:25 - Nov 11 with 1303 viewsBloots

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

5 defeats from the last 7/8 games now on 09:31 - Nov 11 with 1293 viewsSwansea_Blue

5 defeats from the last 7/8 games now on 08:51 - Nov 11 by braveblue

Our choice to play reserve sides though. And it was Crawley reserves last night too - they've managed their two cup games this week a lot better than we have.

Not surprising there's gloom given the way things went last season. We said after the Donny game that the test would be how they responded in the next few games. Been a pretty poor response unfortunately.

Oh well, rinse and repeat - the test now will be how we respond in the next few games if we (rightly) think we've been wronged and maybe were a bit naive in team selections.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

"Yeah but, the refs and that" (n/t) on 09:37 - Nov 11 with 1290 viewspatrickswell

"Yeah but, the refs and that" (n/t) on 09:25 - Nov 11 by Bloots

It may not fit your agenda but in the case of the Lincoln, Sunderland and Portsmouth games, the decisions made by the officials decided the games.
5 defeats from the last 7/8 games now on 09:46 - Nov 11 with 1281 viewsclive_baker

I actually think we've been a little unlucky. I thought we were good for a point at Lincoln, and I thought we were good for a point at Sunderland too until the ref had other ideas.

As for the 2 cup games, they don't register for me. One is essentially an U23 game and the resting players against Portsmouth was probably the prudent thing to do. I took some comfort from that that with a first XI we can certainly beat them in the league a few weeks.

I don't think our performances have been great, which is more concerning than the results. Doncaster was a car crash, Lincoln was abject but they weren't great either IMO, even the wins against Gillingham and Crewe were somewhat fortuitous. I don't think we were bad against Sunderland to be fair. Certainly the next 3 are big tests, all at home, and following a nice break. We really need to be taking 7 points.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

5 defeats from the last 7/8 games now on 09:54 - Nov 11 with 1278 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

5 defeats from the last 7/8 games now on 08:56 - Nov 11 by davblue

said there were some mitigating circumstances but it's still 5 defeats from 8 games however you try to dress it up.

Sunderland we hardly created anything despite playing well with the ball.

When you watch us do you look at us and think that's a team that will be promoted? I personally don't think the automatic places will be beyond us and we might get into the play offs but i wouldn't bank on it with Lambert in charge.

You keep saying "yeah...but." Those mitigating circumstances were huge. I've never known so many ridiculous decisions so close together.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

5 defeats from the last 7/8 games now on 10:09 - Nov 11 with 1261 viewshadleighboyblue

5 defeats from the last 7/8 games now on 08:32 - Nov 11 by patrickswell

the 2 cup defeats were self inflicted by picking weakened teams , even though the 1st team have a week off .

Portsmouth played a proper team and now have the chance of a plum draw in the 3rd round , players and fans thrive on that experience , sadly ITFC think progressing in the cup is not worthwhile .

Don't disagree with playing some squad players last night in a pointless cup , but playing a mix of senior players with the youngsters would have been of more use to developing the younger players ..

Our two 1-0 wins recently were hardly convincing , PL said he had learnt from mistakes last season , it's not looking like he has , his tactics and motivation are dragging our club further and further down .
5 defeats from the last 7/8 games now on 10:22 - Nov 11 with 1241 viewspatrickswell

5 defeats from the last 7/8 games now on 10:09 - Nov 11 by hadleighboyblue

the 2 cup defeats were self inflicted by picking weakened teams , even though the 1st team have a week off .

Portsmouth played a proper team and now have the chance of a plum draw in the 3rd round , players and fans thrive on that experience , sadly ITFC think progressing in the cup is not worthwhile .

Don't disagree with playing some squad players last night in a pointless cup , but playing a mix of senior players with the youngsters would have been of more use to developing the younger players ..

Our two 1-0 wins recently were hardly convincing , PL said he had learnt from mistakes last season , it's not looking like he has , his tactics and motivation are dragging our club further and further down .

With no fans currently allowed in, the plum draw in the third round is looking moot, prize money aside.

The 1-0 wins have been ground out and we fought for them. Gillingham and Crewe may consider themselves unlucky, but we took our chances and we kept them out when they attacked. Ipswich Town did that, by themselves and deservedly so. There was no dodgy penalty decision, no red card shown for a fair challenge, no rolling around on the floor and using the dark arts, no incompetence/lack of courage meaning that those sides were hampered by things they couldn't control. We may not have played well, but we won fair and square. And Crewe and Gillingham got a fair shake.

Bar the Doncaster match, we were not beaten fairly in any of the other games. Taking draws from those matches would not have been the worst fate in the world, instead we got nothing, because the officials decided to do us over.
They influenced the games..... on 10:24 - Nov 11 with 1230 viewsBloots

"Yeah but, the refs and that" (n/t) on 09:37 - Nov 11 by patrickswell

It may not fit your agenda but in the case of the Lincoln, Sunderland and Portsmouth games, the decisions made by the officials decided the games.

....certainly.

Along with a number of other factors.

5 defeats from the last 7/8 games now on 10:28 - Nov 11 with 1220 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

5 defeats from the last 7/8 games now on 10:22 - Nov 11 by patrickswell

With no fans currently allowed in, the plum draw in the third round is looking moot, prize money aside.

The 1-0 wins have been ground out and we fought for them. Gillingham and Crewe may consider themselves unlucky, but we took our chances and we kept them out when they attacked. Ipswich Town did that, by themselves and deservedly so. There was no dodgy penalty decision, no red card shown for a fair challenge, no rolling around on the floor and using the dark arts, no incompetence/lack of courage meaning that those sides were hampered by things they couldn't control. We may not have played well, but we won fair and square. And Crewe and Gillingham got a fair shake.

Bar the Doncaster match, we were not beaten fairly in any of the other games. Taking draws from those matches would not have been the worst fate in the world, instead we got nothing, because the officials decided to do us over.

Indeed. And I actually think we'd have gone on to win at Sunderland until the ref intervened.

I know some people scowl at this, but..... on 10:31 - Nov 11 with 1218 viewsBloots

5 defeats from the last 7/8 games now on 09:46 - Nov 11 by clive_baker

I actually think we've been a little unlucky. I thought we were good for a point at Lincoln, and I thought we were good for a point at Sunderland too until the ref had other ideas.

As for the 2 cup games, they don't register for me. One is essentially an U23 game and the resting players against Portsmouth was probably the prudent thing to do. I took some comfort from that that with a first XI we can certainly beat them in the league a few weeks.

I don't think our performances have been great, which is more concerning than the results. Doncaster was a car crash, Lincoln was abject but they weren't great either IMO, even the wins against Gillingham and Crewe were somewhat fortuitous. I don't think we were bad against Sunderland to be fair. Certainly the next 3 are big tests, all at home, and following a nice break. We really need to be taking 7 points.

....we are now 13h in the xG table created by Experiment361.

I remember commenting on this last season when we were flying and being shot down.

It's all very well saying that we would have done better without the refs decisions, but we simply don't create enough chances to win games either regularly throughout the season or against decent teams that put us under extra pressure.

5 defeats from the last 7/8 games now on 11:23 - Nov 11 with 1179 viewsdavblue

5 defeats from the last 7/8 games now on 09:54 - Nov 11 by The_Flashing_Smile

You keep saying "yeah...but." Those mitigating circumstances were huge. I've never known so many ridiculous decisions so close together.

they are facts.
I know some people scowl at this, but..... on 11:24 - Nov 11 with 1176 viewsdavblue

I know some people scowl at this, but..... on 10:31 - Nov 11 by Bloots

....we are now 13h in the xG table created by Experiment361.

I remember commenting on this last season when we were flying and being shot down.

It's all very well saying that we would have done better without the refs decisions, but we simply don't create enough chances to win games either regularly throughout the season or against decent teams that put us under extra pressure.

this are things that shouldn't be dismissed and are a good indication of how you are going as a team.

Shows how much you are creating and we aren't much.
5 defeats from the last 7/8 games now on 11:51 - Nov 11 with 1138 viewsChrisd

You just sense things are starting to build up, similarly to when last season was abruptly curtailed. We might be second in the league, but that could all quickly change over the next 6 league games. Lets not forget, we were top in January, but we were never the best side in this league at that point in time and things quickly unravelled. As a club, we've come to accept failure far too easily and that same approach continues to ravage ITFC. Sadly, that comes from the very top and has done for some time now.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

5 defeats from the last 7/8 games now on 11:59 - Nov 11 with 1132 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Yes, but the last two First Team squad games saw us lose because in one a referee was incredibly harsh to us, and in the second was somewhere between incredibly lax on them and utterly incompetent. And last night really doesn't count.

My positive from the last week is the "Oh, that's what a striker does" moment when Norwood latched on to a through ball, out-muscled defenders and kept going into the area and finished deftly, rather than shielding it, turning round, looking up, and laying the ball back to a crowded midfielder who would shield it, turn round, look up and lay it off to Wilson or Nsiala.

I don't think Lambert is in credit over-all during his time here, by a long shot. He had given up last season, pre-lockdown. He has only played Dozzell and co this campaign because of a very obvious directive from Evans in pre-Season. We are ponderous in the build-up to a ridiculous degree. But there are signs of hope.
5 defeats from the last 7/8 games now on 13:17 - Nov 11 with 1074 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

5 defeats from the last 7/8 games now on 11:23 - Nov 11 by davblue

they are facts.

And so are the refereeing decisions...

5 defeats from the last 7/8 games now on 13:25 - Nov 11 with 1055 viewsclive_baker

5 defeats from the last 7/8 games now on 11:59 - Nov 11 by ArnoldMoorhen

Yes, but the last two First Team squad games saw us lose because in one a referee was incredibly harsh to us, and in the second was somewhere between incredibly lax on them and utterly incompetent. And last night really doesn't count.

My positive from the last week is the "Oh, that's what a striker does" moment when Norwood latched on to a through ball, out-muscled defenders and kept going into the area and finished deftly, rather than shielding it, turning round, looking up, and laying the ball back to a crowded midfielder who would shield it, turn round, look up and lay it off to Wilson or Nsiala.

I don't think Lambert is in credit over-all during his time here, by a long shot. He had given up last season, pre-lockdown. He has only played Dozzell and co this campaign because of a very obvious directive from Evans in pre-Season. We are ponderous in the build-up to a ridiculous degree. But there are signs of hope.

Norwood's movement is excellent. He's a proper, seasoned, out and out striker and we've really missed that. He's criticised in terms of conversion, and rightly so he has been guilty of missing too many chances, but at least he gets into the positions to miss them. We don't have anyone like him in the squad and the sooner he's fit and starting the better.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

5 defeats from the last 7/8 games now on 13:33 - Nov 11 with 1033 viewsitfcjoe

5 defeats from the last 7/8 games now on 13:25 - Nov 11 by clive_baker

Norwood's movement is excellent. He's a proper, seasoned, out and out striker and we've really missed that. He's criticised in terms of conversion, and rightly so he has been guilty of missing too many chances, but at least he gets into the positions to miss them. We don't have anyone like him in the squad and the sooner he's fit and starting the better.

We simply create more chances if he is on the pitch

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

5 defeats from the last 7/8 games now on 13:43 - Nov 11 with 1003 viewsdavblue

5 defeats from the last 7/8 games now on 13:17 - Nov 11 by The_Flashing_Smile

And so are the refereeing decisions...

they aren't going to be changed so lets deal with the facts then.
5 defeats from the last 7/8 games now on 13:46 - Nov 11 with 1003 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

5 defeats from the last 7/8 games now on 13:43 - Nov 11 by davblue

they aren't going to be changed so lets deal with the facts then.

What an odd comment. No-one said they're going to be changed. You can't just pretend they never happened to suit your agenda though.

If it weren't for bizarre refereeing decisions you wouldn't have even started this thread, and Lambert can hardly be blamed for them!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024