Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Phil 09:14 - Nov 25 with 3648 viewshype313

We're all obviously extremely disappointed with the current status quo, whilst we still have hangovers from previous regimes still sitting in the mind to add to the anger. You're role is slightly different to the rest of us, what are your thoughts first and foremost as a Town fan, with the current malaise?

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Phil on 14:21 - Nov 25 with 2586 viewsPhilTWTD

Sorry for slow response, had a busy day on other stuff. As I said in last night's report, I thought last night illustrated how far we are behind a genuine automatic promotion contender. We didn't play particularly badly and were in top in spells, but still were unable to lay a glove on them and Hull really didn't have to do an awful lot other than remain solid and organised and take their chances when they came.

One thing I said to one or two others in the press box last night was how I'm finding I'm writing the same things in every report, Town had plenty of the ball but without creating any serious chances perhaps being the most frequent. I think I've probably been writing the same things for two years.

I have to say I had few expectations after pre-season, I thought we gave so many goals and chances away from trying to play out from the back in pre-season that I didn't anticipate us getting off to the start we did. I was pleasantly surprised that we were playing well in the first few games.

But like last year performances as well as results have drifted in recent weeks. Even in some games we've played well, Sunderland among them, we've started slowly before getting on top. And even then when we've played well we've not created enough chances.

Given the importance of going up this season, I doubt Marcus will be as patient as he has been in the past if results don't improve very significantly soon.
Phil on 14:25 - Nov 25 with 2538 viewsMrTown

Phil on 14:21 - Nov 25 by PhilTWTD

Sorry for slow response, had a busy day on other stuff. As I said in last night's report, I thought last night illustrated how far we are behind a genuine automatic promotion contender. We didn't play particularly badly and were in top in spells, but still were unable to lay a glove on them and Hull really didn't have to do an awful lot other than remain solid and organised and take their chances when they came.

One thing I said to one or two others in the press box last night was how I'm finding I'm writing the same things in every report, Town had plenty of the ball but without creating any serious chances perhaps being the most frequent. I think I've probably been writing the same things for two years.

I have to say I had few expectations after pre-season, I thought we gave so many goals and chances away from trying to play out from the back in pre-season that I didn't anticipate us getting off to the start we did. I was pleasantly surprised that we were playing well in the first few games.

But like last year performances as well as results have drifted in recent weeks. Even in some games we've played well, Sunderland among them, we've started slowly before getting on top. And even then when we've played well we've not created enough chances.

Given the importance of going up this season, I doubt Marcus will be as patient as he has been in the past if results don't improve very significantly soon.

Oooo, say that sentence to me again, that sounded promising.

Also Phil, will you just stick it straight on Lambert at next presser please.

From ITFC fanbase x
[Post edited 25 Nov 2020 14:28]

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Phil on 14:26 - Nov 25 with 2532 viewsIpswichKnight

Do you think Marcus has already started contacting potential replacements? He normally has someone lined up to start straight away.
Phil on 14:27 - Nov 25 with 2503 viewsMrTown

Phil on 14:26 - Nov 25 by IpswichKnight

Do you think Marcus has already started contacting potential replacements? He normally has someone lined up to start straight away.

Knowing Evans, he's probably got Paul Hurst waiting in the wings.

Phil on 14:28 - Nov 25 with 2505 viewsEwan_Oozami

Especially considering a lot of player are OOC this summer - if Evans waits till the summer we'll have the same situation as when Hurst took over from Mick (ok, exacerbated by Shrews being in playoffs) where a new manager will have no idea whether players should be kept or not, which'll neccessitate yet annother complete overhaul of the squad. Obviously some of the younger players might leave but I'd rather lose some older players instead!

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Phil on 14:28 - Nov 25 with 2495 viewsOsborneOneNil

100%
Phil on 14:29 - Nov 25 with 2487 viewsOsborneOneNil

Fantastic last paragraph that, Phil.
Phil on 14:30 - Nov 25 with 2472 viewsDanTheMan

By "soon", I hope you mean Saturday.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Login to get fewer ads

Phil on 14:33 - Nov 25 with 2438 viewswkj

I am certain he is questioning his ROI (as that is probably the only way he thinks)

In my honest opinion, I hope he has no idea at all on who he wants - but rather has a recruitment plan.

IMHO he needs to just get people in and someone with him to do interviews and treat it like most external job vacancies.

However, he simply HAS to stop hiring people to be "total club managers" and get someone in who can be a squad manager. It is clear that ME prefers people like MM and PL who can shoulder that responsibility and pays them well to do it, but what we need is someone who can manager the club and manage the vision of the fans.

People in the positions held by the likes of Milne, Neil, and Clegg should be the ones with the total club manager job - and not just the spokesman for Evans who only really pops up here and there.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Phil on 14:34 - Nov 25 with 2422 viewshoppy

Have you arranged a date for an interview with Marcus to explore that last paragraph in more detail?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Phil on 14:35 - Nov 25 with 2412 viewsMrTown

Phil on 14:33 - Nov 25 by wkj

I am certain he is questioning his ROI (as that is probably the only way he thinks)

In my honest opinion, I hope he has no idea at all on who he wants - but rather has a recruitment plan.

IMHO he needs to just get people in and someone with him to do interviews and treat it like most external job vacancies.

However, he simply HAS to stop hiring people to be "total club managers" and get someone in who can be a squad manager. It is clear that ME prefers people like MM and PL who can shoulder that responsibility and pays them well to do it, but what we need is someone who can manager the club and manage the vision of the fans.

People in the positions held by the likes of Milne, Neil, and Clegg should be the ones with the total club manager job - and not just the spokesman for Evans who only really pops up here and there.

1. Danny Cowley
2. Paul Cook
3. Kieron Dyer

In that order.

Phil on 14:36 - Nov 25 with 2394 viewswkj

Phil on 14:35 - Nov 25 by MrTown

1. Danny Cowley
2. Paul Cook
3. Kieron Dyer

In that order.

Cowley is my top pick, so long as he is not expected to spin as many plates behind the scenes as MM and PL were/are.
[Post edited 25 Nov 2020 14:39]

Crybaby

Phil on 14:38 - Nov 25 with 2374 viewsunstableblue

Hi Phil,

I posted recently that this seems to be Lambert's system/game-plan:

Our 4-3-3 system NOW under Lambert is Holy feeding Wolf and Toto, them bringing it forward and passing it through the lines or hitting the cross ball, Dozzell as quarterback also passing though the lines or into channels, Bishops breaking the lines and bringing defenders off the front 3, full backs bombing forward, width AND CRITICALLY triangles of play between midfield and attackers often, and greater numbers into the box.

Would you agree?

I agree with you that after a slow start the Sunderland game was a really positive performance with much of the above system/approach visible. And felt this display was not being given the credit it deserved.

What I think is also key is high and aggressive pressing from the front six; and also energy and speed in the passing. These other factors seem to have evaporated.

Mitigating circumstances or positives for Lambert is that the players in interview seemed have really bought into the above; AND Lambert has had too many key injuries to the players that make this work.

But my real issue is the players performances seem to be consistently off par, and they don't seem to be coached effectively enough to reduce the errors, keep shape tight and achieve the goals of the system AND critically there is a real lack of aggression and tempo. The team just looked tired and not fired up.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Phil on 14:39 - Nov 25 with 2365 viewsMetal_Hacker

Phil on 14:36 - Nov 25 by wkj

Cowley is my top pick, so long as he is not expected to spin as many plates behind the scenes as MM and PL were/are.

I'd say the Cowleys but then I'm not sure if I'm jumping on the bandwagon

The football at Lincoln during his time wasn't pretty but I guess was effective ...didn't see enough of know enough of Huddersfield to comment

I really don't even thing Uri Geller could help us right now

Poll: If it were one or the other

Phil on 14:39 - Nov 25 with 2364 viewsOsborneOneNil

1. Danny Cowley
2. Paul Cook
3. Kieron Dyer

In that order.

I was 100% Cook, but Joe has got me thinking that Danny Cowley might be ideal.

Either of those two, for me.
Phil on 14:39 - Nov 25 with 2360 viewsitfcjoe

Thanks for that Phil - hopefully Marcus can see the way things are going with regards to the direction of travel of performances and then acts quickly.

I don't think anyone will be sorry to see the back of Lambert - what happened to the bloke that came bouncing in 2 years ago?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Phil on 14:42 - Nov 25 with 2337 viewswkj

Phil on 14:39 - Nov 25 by Metal_Hacker

I'd say the Cowleys but then I'm not sure if I'm jumping on the bandwagon

The football at Lincoln during his time wasn't pretty but I guess was effective ...didn't see enough of know enough of Huddersfield to comment

I really don't even thing Uri Geller could help us right now

I agree with you, I said last night that I feel a manager under Evans' way or running ITFC would need to be a miracle worker to achieve anything of note here. Evans simply has to change something in himself, ideally that would be to cut his losses here with someone capable at covering our financially unviable baseline - but that in itself is a taller miracle, as we would be winning the lottery now if a significant investor came in.

Crybaby

Phil on 14:50 - Nov 25 with 2257 viewshadleighboyblue

1. Danny Cowley
2. Paul Cook
3. Kieron Dyer

In that order.

I would hope whoever we get in , also comes with a decent assistant / coach for them to work as a team .

Recent assistants have been so poor , looking back to how well Robson and Burley worked with their assistants proves how important other members of the management team can be in supporting the manager .

Even Lambert had his best days when he had a good assistant with him at Norwich .

Quite simply Lambert hasn't got a clue , the fans can see it and it looks like the players can too - last night they looked disinterested , certainly not like a team that believed they were a top 6 side
Phil on 14:59 - Nov 25 with 2194 viewsitfc1108

Phil on 14:39 - Nov 25 by OsborneOneNil

I know this is a pretty sorry sentence, but we need to get him, or make contact at least, before Shrewsbury do.
Phil on 15:11 - Nov 25 with 2123 viewsPhilTWTD

That is usually the way he works and I'm sure he'll probably have maintained an overview on who is available and might be interested.
Phil on 15:15 - Nov 25 with 2080 viewsMrTown

Phil on 14:39 - Nov 25 by OsborneOneNil

Joe should be selling double-glazing, because he done me up like a kipper as well.

No in all fairness, Joe's a knowledgable chap, so when he mentioned it I have spent a bit of time on the tinternet looking at them.

Very knowledgable indivduals, always looking to learn, always looking to develop, always looking to improve. A modern manager you may say, I do honestly believe (from my own judgement now), that they will be best sutied.

I really really like Paul Cook as well, so would be just as chuffed with Cook.

Phil on 15:19 - Nov 25 with 2044 viewsBeckets

Phil on 15:11 - Nov 25 by PhilTWTD

That is usually the way he works and I'm sure he'll probably have maintained an overview on who is available and might be interested.

I checked and Evans sacked Hurst, Jewell and Keane after 14, 12 and 24 League games respectively so he’s not averse to getting rid between a quarter and half way through a season which is where we are now. In the case of Hurst and Jewell we were in the Championship bottom 3, with Keane just outside. Lambert has overseen more games than any of them and Jewell and Keane’s win record is superior even though all their games in charge were in the Championship.
Given all that, I find it hard to believe that Evans isn’t at least in the sounding out stage. Perhaps being outside the play off places will be the trigger?
Phil on 15:22 - Nov 25 with 2027 viewsMetal_Hacker

Phil on 15:19 - Nov 25 by Beckets

I checked and Evans sacked Hurst, Jewell and Keane after 14, 12 and 24 League games respectively so he’s not averse to getting rid between a quarter and half way through a season which is where we are now. In the case of Hurst and Jewell we were in the Championship bottom 3, with Keane just outside. Lambert has overseen more games than any of them and Jewell and Keane’s win record is superior even though all their games in charge were in the Championship.
Given all that, I find it hard to believe that Evans isn’t at least in the sounding out stage. Perhaps being outside the play off places will be the trigger?

I hate the thought of wanting my team to lose but if it meant a defeat on Saturday to ensure the removal PL , I'd regrettably take it for the greater good

Poll: If it were one or the other

Phil on 15:25 - Nov 25 with 2004 viewsIpswichKnight

Thinking again on this I think it will happen on Monday if ( when ) we get turned over by Charlton. Probably announce the new management then but say Keiron will be in charge for the Oxford game so that new management can watch and view before taking over on Wednesday.
Phil on 15:26 - Nov 25 with 2002 viewsmonty_radio

Phil on 14:36 - Nov 25 by wkj

As I mentioned elsewhere, if we can't have a fuller management structure, at least with the Cowleys you get two of them.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024