Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is it time to shake up how we are playing.... 08:33 - Jan 19 with 2434 viewsitfcjoe

....if Harrop is signed to play as a 10?

Drop Dozzell and play Bishop and Downes as a central two - both with energy to get about, ability to pass the ball and Bishop can carry the ball.

We've become so reliant on getting the ball to Dozzell and getting him to try and start something that we just slow the play down and try to get him to pick impossible locks.

With such focus on one player we end up allowing the opposition to get set

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Is it time to shake up how we are playing.... on 08:35 - Jan 19 with 1843 viewshype313

Agree Joe, the other issue is that teams have worked out how to nulify the threat of Dozzell, and he needs a bit of time to adjust his game to counter that issue.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Is it time to shake up how we are playing.... on 08:36 - Jan 19 with 1830 viewsHerbivore

I tend to agree. If we're going to play with a genuine number 10 and play more of a 4-2-3-1 then I'm not sure Dozzell gets a place in that side. Downes and Bishop have more energy and dynamism and are defensively good enough to play in a 2. Dozzell can still offer something different in some games and can be a game changer coming off the bench but I don't see him starting if we're looking to make that change.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Is it time to shake up how we are playing.... on 08:39 - Jan 19 with 1812 viewsMonkeyAlan

I don't see why we needed another no. 10. We have Judge who never gets dropped anyway. Also Dozzells preferred position l believe. All we have is another midfielder, another player under 6ft when we need some big guys to mix it up because we are so lightweight. Anyway it won't matter because Lambert will have him passing sideways and backwards within the month.
Is it time to shake up how we are playing.... on 08:40 - Jan 19 with 1800 viewsHerbivore

Is it time to shake up how we are playing.... on 08:39 - Jan 19 by MonkeyAlan

I don't see why we needed another no. 10. We have Judge who never gets dropped anyway. Also Dozzells preferred position l believe. All we have is another midfielder, another player under 6ft when we need some big guys to mix it up because we are so lightweight. Anyway it won't matter because Lambert will have him passing sideways and backwards within the month.

Dozzell isn't a number 10.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Is it time to shake up how we are playing.... on 08:44 - Jan 19 with 1784 viewsStokieBlue

It's been time to shake up how we are playing for months, I'd be happy with pretty much any alternate approach at this time.

I do like the idea of a 4-1-3-2 with Dozzell playing the DM and with 3 mobile midfielders and 2 mobile forwards in front of him - hopefully things wouldn't be so slow but we might lack width. I'm not a football manager though so perhaps it's not a great idea.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Is it time to shake up how we are playing.... on 08:44 - Jan 19 with 1779 viewsericclacton

Yes without a doubt.
Is it time to shake up how we are playing.... on 08:50 - Jan 19 with 1754 viewsChrisd

The problem I foresee here is this is your opinion, not the one that really matters that is PL. Nevertheless, you’re probably right, the data is showing it, but we all know it will continue along the same lines as PL won’t want to bow down and admit his principles aren’t working and are in the main ineffective.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2021 12:14]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Is it time to shake up how we are playing.... on 08:50 - Jan 19 with 1755 viewsMetal_Hacker

Thought this for a while

For all the hype and elegance of Dozzell we might get some form of excellence every other game . I personally think the guy is class BUT like many have eluded to , we're easy to play against .Too pedestrian , just not dynamic

Let's use Dozzell when we can in games we can afford the luxury perhaps but for now lets have the play sped up with the likes of Harrop , Bishop and Downes

If we're seriously playing football/keep ball though in our own two thirds it'd be pointless, the only way to make this work the game needs to be played in the opposition's half atleast , top third even better BUT I have my doubts

We've got to change things that for sure , whether this is the answer I don't know but we have to try something ffs

Poll: If it were one or the other

Login to get fewer ads

Is it time to shake up how we are playing.... on 09:05 - Jan 19 with 1695 viewsSteve_M

Is it time to shake up how we are playing.... on 08:35 - Jan 19 by hype313

Agree Joe, the other issue is that teams have worked out how to nulify the threat of Dozzell, and he needs a bit of time to adjust his game to counter that issue.

Yes, I was thinking this Saturday. Dozzell is mainly playing short passes rather than getting the chance to play like eh was earlier in the season, he still looks so comfortable on the ball, even under pressure but we are far too predictable at the moment.

Lambert seems to be stubbornly sticking with one formation this season, the inverse of last season's approach, presumably so he can blame Evans for it. A pragmatic manager would be making some adjustments over the season.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Is it time to shake up how we are playing.... on 09:18 - Jan 19 with 1607 viewsitfcjoe

Is it time to shake up how we are playing.... on 08:39 - Jan 19 by MonkeyAlan

We don't , we don't need anyone else bar a new man in charge

Is it time to shake up how we are playing.... on 09:30 - Jan 19 with 1569 viewsclive_baker

Yes, it's been the right time for months.

The biggest issue we've had for the past 2 years hasn't been personnel IMO. Don't get me wrong, it's always good to see us strengthen ahead of a busy period, but if we continue to be so one dimensional, and play so predictably and slowly through Dozzell, and leave our front man so isolated, we'll continue to struggle to create entries into the box, and continue to be unthreatening and toothless.

We need creative bodies around Norwood, not 'wide forwards' hugging the touchline and a deep, immobile midfield 3. We haven't been helped by injuries, certainly, but our setup hasn't been wholly dictated by them. We've opted into this and blindly stuck by it when all the indicators have suggested otherwise.

I've never criticised Lamberts recruitment, by and large I think we've bought and sold really well, we've got a very good squad for this level. I just have zero confidence in this management team and its ability to set it up, motivate it and not stubbornly stick to the approach we've witnessed for however many months.

Until he goes, I can't see much changing. He's a busted flush.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Is it time to shake up how we are playing.... on 09:32 - Jan 19 with 1549 viewsitfcjoe

Is it time to shake up how we are playing.... on 09:30 - Jan 19 by clive_baker

Yes, it's been the right time for months.

The biggest issue we've had for the past 2 years hasn't been personnel IMO. Don't get me wrong, it's always good to see us strengthen ahead of a busy period, but if we continue to be so one dimensional, and play so predictably and slowly through Dozzell, and leave our front man so isolated, we'll continue to struggle to create entries into the box, and continue to be unthreatening and toothless.

We need creative bodies around Norwood, not 'wide forwards' hugging the touchline and a deep, immobile midfield 3. We haven't been helped by injuries, certainly, but our setup hasn't been wholly dictated by them. We've opted into this and blindly stuck by it when all the indicators have suggested otherwise.

I've never criticised Lamberts recruitment, by and large I think we've bought and sold really well, we've got a very good squad for this level. I just have zero confidence in this management team and its ability to set it up, motivate it and not stubbornly stick to the approach we've witnessed for however many months.

Until he goes, I can't see much changing. He's a busted flush.

We are solely relying on having better players than the opposition - that will get us through against the weaker teams in the league, but as soon as we run into anyone with a bit of quality and organisation we'll be caught out - as happened all last season, and has so far happened this season.

Posh-Sunderland-Crewe in the next 3 - and we need to win at least one of the home games and pick up a minimum of 5 points.

Is it time to shake up how we are playing.... on 09:39 - Jan 19 with 1508 viewsclive_baker

Is it time to shake up how we are playing.... on 09:32 - Jan 19 by itfcjoe

We are solely relying on having better players than the opposition - that will get us through against the weaker teams in the league, but as soon as we run into anyone with a bit of quality and organisation we'll be caught out - as happened all last season, and has so far happened this season.

Posh-Sunderland-Crewe in the next 3 - and we need to win at least one of the home games and pick up a minimum of 5 points.

We've always had an excuse haven't we. Admittedly, we've had some valid ones with so many of our better players out, but it doesn't excuse our approach. That pair of home games vs. Hull and Charlton where we lost both without laying a glove on the opposition really cemented this inability to beat a half decent team, but we were quite significantly depleted. The excuses are over now, we've mostly got a full squad back and ME is backing the manager with a couple of loan signings. If we're serious I would suggest we need to win 2 of the next 3.

These are a real test of where we're at. Even 5 points would be disappointing for me, we really need to be winning our home matches.

Is it time to shake up how we are playing.... on 09:44 - Jan 19 with 1465 viewsPinewoodblue

Is it time to shake up how we are playing.... on 09:18 - Jan 19 by itfcjoe

Think this answers your question. Changing the make up of the starting eleven will not make enough difference. Only a change of management will do that.

Lamber is here for the foreseeable but Evans could tell him stay away for a month to fully recover and tell him he is putting Dyer and Butcher in charge while is is away. Will upset Lambert , Taylor & Gill but wouldn’t be enough for Lambert to claim constructive dismissal if he walked. The other two could but a small price to pay.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Is it time to shake up how we are playing.... on 09:49 - Jan 19 with 1435 viewsdavblue

Is it time to shake up how we are playing.... on 09:39 - Jan 19 by clive_baker

We've always had an excuse haven't we. Admittedly, we've had some valid ones with so many of our better players out, but it doesn't excuse our approach. That pair of home games vs. Hull and Charlton where we lost both without laying a glove on the opposition really cemented this inability to beat a half decent team, but we were quite significantly depleted. The excuses are over now, we've mostly got a full squad back and ME is backing the manager with a couple of loan signings. If we're serious I would suggest we need to win 2 of the next 3.

These are a real test of where we're at. Even 5 points would be disappointing for me, we really need to be winning our home matches.

Just a reminder that Charlton didn't have a fit centre half that night and we didn't play a glove on them at home.
Is it time to shake up how we are playing.... on 09:54 - Jan 19 with 1413 viewsitfcjoe

Is it time to shake up how we are playing.... on 09:39 - Jan 19 by clive_baker

We always do just about the mimuimum required.

In fact, we often dont, but then standards are just dropped further and further as to what is acceptable as we tick along with bottom half form

Is it time to shake up how we are playing.... on 09:55 - Jan 19 with 1411 viewsitfcjoe

Is it time to shake up how we are playing.... on 09:49 - Jan 19 by davblue

Just a reminder that Charlton didn't have a fit centre half that night and we didn't play a glove on them at home.

And lost to burton a few days earlier shipping 4 goals in the process

Is it time to shake up how we are playing.... on 09:59 - Jan 19 with 1371 viewsdavblue

Is it time to shake up how we are playing.... on 09:54 - Jan 19 by itfcjoe

We always do just about the mimuimum required.

In fact, we often dont, but then standards are just dropped further and further as to what is acceptable as we tick along with bottom half form

I could accept Saturdays performance if it happened once in a while, because you do have games like that in a season. But it's every week that we don't create anything from our own good play, it's nearly always mistakes from the opposition.

I really want this period to be over, it's horrible to watch, horrible to be associated with the club at this moment in time.

Lambert is a game player and he's playing Evans like Mozart's 5th Symphony at this moment in time.
Is it time to shake up how we are playing.... on 10:00 - Jan 19 with 1370 viewsclive_baker

Is it time to shake up how we are playing.... on 09:49 - Jan 19 by davblue

And we had a central midfield pairing of Gibbs and McGavin, with Drinan up front. It was never going to end well.

Is it time to shake up how we are playing.... on 10:00 - Jan 19 with 1360 viewsdavblue

Is it time to shake up how we are playing.... on 09:55 - Jan 19 by itfcjoe

And lost to burton a few days earlier shipping 4 goals in the process

Green shoots.
Is it time to shake up how we are playing.... on 10:02 - Jan 19 with 1339 viewsNthQldITFC

A 3-5-2 / 5-3-2 could accommodate those three, with fit, mobile wing backs (KVY + Edwards? + covers), and with intelligent and communicative defenders can dynamically transform into a lopsided four at the back with one of the wing backs dropping in as needed, whilst keeping two up front.

Need a lot of work and additional players, particularly CBs, to get it running, but with Woolfy and those five plus say Norwood and Jackson, you've got the nucleus of a side capable of playing that way, plus quite a few with talent enough to step in (Nydam, Lankester, McGavin, El Miz, Dobra etc, etc).

Too late now maybe, and too much intransigence, but that's what I would have liked to have seen developed from the start of last season. It might not be a fashionable idea, but that's a load of ballocks, especially at this level.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Is it time to shake up how we are playing.... on 10:03 - Jan 19 with 1332 viewsRobTheMonk

Holy and Hawkins as a front two.
Is it time to shake up how we are playing.... on 10:03 - Jan 19 with 1333 viewsRadlett_blue

Is it time to shake up how we are playing.... on 09:18 - Jan 19 by itfcjoe

Plenty of people wanted to see our "dream" midfield of Dozzell, Downes & Bishop. Well,we had it on Saturday & we were pretty awful, although Downes seems to be feeling his way back after a long term injury. The problem isn't those players particularly, but that we have two elderly full backs who won't get forward plus a lack of players who get forward to support the front man. I don't see how Harrop fits into a 4-3-3, unless Lambert shoe-horns him into one of the wide forward roles, as he has done so unsuccessfully with Judge.
I think we would be better off with 4-2-3-1 with Dozzell & Downes as the 2 & Bishop as the centrally advance player who can run at people (his strength). Edwards as one of the wide options, Bennetts or Sears as the other. But Lambert has to shoe-horn Judge into his starting XI, whereas I think he could be effective from the bench.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Is it time to shake up how we are playing.... on 10:14 - Jan 19 with 1284 viewshype313

Is it time to shake up how we are playing.... on 09:05 - Jan 19 by Steve_M

Yes, I was thinking this Saturday. Dozzell is mainly playing short passes rather than getting the chance to play like eh was earlier in the season, he still looks so comfortable on the ball, even under pressure but we are far too predictable at the moment.

Lambert seems to be stubbornly sticking with one formation this season, the inverse of last season's approach, presumably so he can blame Evans for it. A pragmatic manager would be making some adjustments over the season.

Indeed, frustratingly he's playing the blame game, I genuinely think he just wants a pay off which is detrimental in the short term of the team and the clubs position.

Not helping that Marcus has a bee in his bonnet with the fans about the whole Mick situation, he's also doubling down on his stubbornness. It's a mess.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Is it time to shake up how we are playing.... on 10:18 - Jan 19 with 1261 viewsCheltenham_Blue

There’s a lot of chat on this thread when Lambert has 100% signed him to play wide right. It’s not going to be Harrop AND Thomas.

It was going to be Thomas and it never happened, so we moved onto Harrop.

Def Info.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024