Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If Mick was any good he'd be in work 11:37 - Jan 22 with 4998 viewsBluefish

Oh he is at a level above us

Pray for the numbskulls cats this morning

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

If Mick was any good he'd be in work on 13:35 - Jan 22 with 1830 viewsMonkeyAlan

If Mick was any good he'd be in work on 11:42 - Jan 22 by Plums

Isn’t it time to let this go? MIck’s time was up.

Mick never got us in this mess. It was the numb skulls who hounded him out.
If Mick was any good he'd be in work on 13:39 - Jan 22 with 1821 viewsbluewark

If Mick was any good he'd be in work on 11:45 - Jan 22 by Bluefish

We should never forget our manager greats

Ramsey
Robson
Burley
McCarthy

Why did you miss out Bill McGarry and John Lyall from that list
If Mick was any good he'd be in work on 13:43 - Jan 22 with 1803 viewsitfcjoe

If Mick was any good he'd be in work on 13:15 - Jan 22 by judespiveyg

Don't cry lol.

That season he did a good job, some people describe it as a miracle though.
Fact is Chambers, Smith and Cresswell formed a perfectly capable defence. Plenty of good options up front in Campbell, Chopra, Murphy, JET, Scotland at a stretch.
Midfield nothing to write home about but N'Daw and pre-injury Luke Hyam were both solid enough.
My point is actually correct I'm afraid, he walked into a club with plenty of decent Championship players. He did a good job turning them into a team and solidified them, helped with good recruitment of Mcgoldrick and Henderson. But it was just a good job. Not 'great' not 'miraculous' but good.
[Post edited 22 Jan 2021 13:18]

I'm sorry but that massively underplays things - we had 7 points from 13 games, hadn't won in 3 months and were looking so poor.

We won his first game and were still adrift at the bottom of the table.

It was the crazy season where Peterborough got relegated despite getting 54 points - to get up to 55 points from where he came in would have been an incredible achievement, the fact that we ended up not even in a relegation battle is something else.

That a defence that had shipped 6 at Blackpool, 5 under him at Palace managed to keep 9 clean sheets in 11 games is miraculous.

It's given less credit by how easy we made staying up look, had we escaped the bottom 3 on last day it would have been seen as more of an achievement by some

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

If Mick was any good he'd be in work on 13:44 - Jan 22 with 1799 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Don't cry lol.

Fact is Chambers, Smith and Cresswell formed a perfectly capable defence. Plenty of good options up front in Campbell, Chopra, Murphy, JET, Scotland at a stretch.
Midfield nothing to write home about but N'Daw and pre-injury Luke Hyam were both solid enough.
My point is actually correct I'm afraid, he walked into a club with plenty of decent Championship players. He did a good job turning them into a team and solidified them, helped with good recruitment of Mcgoldrick and Henderson. But it was just a good job. Not 'great' not 'miraculous' but good.

That rather glosses over us having no recognised RB, 2 CB’s and a squad stuffed full of loanees that clearly didn’t want to be here (see Richie Wellens comments if any further proof is needed)

Also of the players listed Chopra was well past his best, scored a grand total of 5 league goals and never scored again in English football after that season. Scotland left the club during the season and went on to such heights as Barnsley and Hamilton Academicals after. As for JET I loved him but he was never really a good player

That squad was an absolute mess and we were in as bad a position then (7 points from 13 games) as we were when Lambert arrived in 2018 (9 from 15). That he not only kept us up but had us comfortable in mid table by the seasons end was an incredible job. Frankly it’s mental to suggest otherwise

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

If Mick was any good he'd be in work on 13:52 - Jan 22 with 1777 viewsjudespiveyg

If Mick was any good he'd be in work on 13:44 - Jan 22 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

That rather glosses over us having no recognised RB, 2 CB’s and a squad stuffed full of loanees that clearly didn’t want to be here (see Richie Wellens comments if any further proof is needed)

Also of the players listed Chopra was well past his best, scored a grand total of 5 league goals and never scored again in English football after that season. Scotland left the club during the season and went on to such heights as Barnsley and Hamilton Academicals after. As for JET I loved him but he was never really a good player

That squad was an absolute mess and we were in as bad a position then (7 points from 13 games) as we were when Lambert arrived in 2018 (9 from 15). That he not only kept us up but had us comfortable in mid table by the seasons end was an incredible job. Frankly it’s mental to suggest otherwise

Even if you discount Chopra and JET that still leaves Campbell and Daryl Murphy.
Is two centre halfs not enough for a starting XI? Bradley Orr was a recognised right back, not great but passable until Stearman came in. You're point about having a bunch of unmotivated loanees is exactly my point. McCarthy, like I said, did a good job turning them into a team. If anything the squad was better player for player than the play-off team , which I considered a far more impressive season for McCarthy.

That squad had the quality of an upper mid-table Championship side. McCarthy did a good job into getting them to play to their abilities. To quote you, frankly it's mental to suggest otherwise.
[Post edited 22 Jan 2021 13:52]

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

If Mick was any good he'd be in work on 13:56 - Jan 22 with 1765 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

If Mick was any good he'd be in work on 13:52 - Jan 22 by judespiveyg

Even if you discount Chopra and JET that still leaves Campbell and Daryl Murphy.
Is two centre halfs not enough for a starting XI? Bradley Orr was a recognised right back, not great but passable until Stearman came in. You're point about having a bunch of unmotivated loanees is exactly my point. McCarthy, like I said, did a good job turning them into a team. If anything the squad was better player for player than the play-off team , which I considered a far more impressive season for McCarthy.

That squad had the quality of an upper mid-table Championship side. McCarthy did a good job into getting them to play to their abilities. To quote you, frankly it's mental to suggest otherwise.

Murphy was considered useless by most Ipswich fans at that point, and had spent most of his loan spells here playing on the left wing. It was only under McCarthy and TC that he developed into the player he became. The same could be said of Tommy Smith really

Orr was signed by McCarthy - because we had been having to field Edwards at RB

I don’t even know where to start with the ‘squad better player for player than the playoff team’ statement. Bonkers
[Post edited 22 Jan 2021 13:57]

If Mick was any good he'd be in work on 13:56 - Jan 22 with 1765 viewsTJS

My order since I started going in 1991 is

Burley (Europe)
Lyall (Premier League)
Royle (2 x Play-offs and away wins at Norwich)
Magilton (top half Championship and home wins over Norwich)
McCarthy (1 x play-off but no wins over Norwich)
Jewell
Keane
Hurst
Lambert (would go above Hurst if he gets us back to the Championship)
If Mick was any good he'd be in work on 13:59 - Jan 22 with 1755 viewsDropCliffsNotBombs

If Mick was any good he'd be in work on 13:52 - Jan 22 by judespiveyg

Utterly baffling. We were a shambles when MM came in.
Login to get fewer ads

If Mick was any good he'd be in work on 14:03 - Jan 22 with 1741 viewsPlums

If Mick was any good he'd be in work on 13:35 - Jan 22 by MonkeyAlan

Mick never got us in this mess. It was the numb skulls who hounded him out.

I didn’t say he did. I just think it’s time we stopped trying to score points by looking back. As a fanbase, our battles lie with where the club is now, not the rights or wrongs of the past.

If people threw a fraction of the effort they put into trying to reopen old wounds into getting Phil reinstated, we’d all be in a better place.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

If Mick was any good he'd be in work on 14:04 - Jan 22 with 1738 viewsLankHenners

Don't cry lol.

There's a whole separate debate to be had about the use of 'miraculous' in football lexigraphy but you're talking nonsense, which has only continued and now been pointed out by more people.

You don't like Mick, and like a lot of people who don't like him it's become totally irrational to the point where every thing about him or what he does is exaggerated (in a negative sense) or underplayed. Very strange behaviour but there you are.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

BANG ON on 14:10 - Jan 22 with 1724 viewsunstableblue

If Mick was any good he'd be in work on 13:56 - Jan 22 by TJS

Burley (Europe)
Lyall (Premier League)
Jewell
Keane
Hurst

We never had consistent home performances or real attacking intent under any Marcus manager, in comparison to Magilton

I just think he was a hothead, green, and struggle away from home

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

If Mick was any good he'd be in work on 14:40 - Jan 22 with 1690 viewsHerbivore

If Mick was any good he'd be in work on 12:22 - Jan 22 by judespiveyg

He's an okay Championship manager, can make a team solid, he's basically the bloke you give a ring if Warnock's unavailable. I've actually always thought his 2012/13 season for us is massively overrated. The squad he inherited had more than enough talent, just needed someone to turn them into a team.

This is pretty pathetic revisionism. You'd have been about 6 at the time so you may not remember the season that well, but what Mick inherited was less of a squad and more of a rabble. Loads of mercenary journeymen on short term deals, Richie Wellens had some pretty choice words to say about his teammates during his brief stint here. Plenty of better sqauds than that have gone down, especially from the position that we were in when Mick took over.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

BANG ON on 14:45 - Jan 22 with 1673 viewsHerbivore

BANG ON on 14:10 - Jan 22 by unstableblue

We never had consistent home performances or real attacking intent under any Marcus manager, in comparison to Magilton

The season Magilton got sacked the struggles were very much at PR rather than away from home.

If Mick was any good he'd be in work on 14:46 - Jan 22 with 1665 viewsHerbivore

If Mick was any good he'd be in work on 13:56 - Jan 22 by TJS

Burley (Europe)
Lyall (Premier League)
Jewell
Keane
Hurst

Magilton above McCarthy is genuinely insane. I'd have Mick ahead of Royle as well, I think he'd have taken us up with the squad Royle had at his disposal.

If Mick was any good he'd be in work on 14:49 - Jan 22 with 1661 viewshaynes_toe1

It's a good job for him. I'm not sure that squad has enough to get play-offs but it'll be an interesting watch.

It is rather alarming though to think what sort of manager we're likely to get next.
If Mick was any good he'd be in work on 14:51 - Jan 22 with 1654 viewsSteve_M

If Mick was any good he'd be in work on 13:43 - Jan 22 by itfcjoe

I'm sorry but that massively underplays things - we had 7 points from 13 games, hadn't won in 3 months and were looking so poor.

We won his first game and were still adrift at the bottom of the table.

It was the crazy season where Peterborough got relegated despite getting 54 points - to get up to 55 points from where he came in would have been an incredible achievement, the fact that we ended up not even in a relegation battle is something else.

That a defence that had shipped 6 at Blackpool, 5 under him at Palace managed to keep 9 clean sheets in 11 games is miraculous.

It's given less credit by how easy we made staying up look, had we escaped the bottom 3 on last day it would have been seen as more of an achievement by some

It's quite remarkable how keen people are to downplay that turnaround that season.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

If Mick was any good he'd be in work on 15:02 - Jan 22 with 1626 viewsRyorry

If Mick was any good he'd be in work on 14:51 - Jan 22 by Steve_M

It's quite remarkable how keen people are to downplay that turnaround that season.

It's far more remarkable that some people keep dragging up someone who was our last but one manager, left almost 3 years ago, and who by his own admission should have left earlier than that -

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/mick-mccarthy-on-ipswich-town-departure-2663678

“They got bored with me, but me being belligerent I wasn’t going to walk"

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

BANG ON on 15:02 - Jan 22 with 1629 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

BANG ON on 14:10 - Jan 22 by unstableblue

That’s not actually true. McCarthy’s home record was very similar to Magilton’s over approx double the number of games (63 wins from 129 compared to 35 from 68)

In fact, over McCarthy’s first 68 games our home record was superior to our record under Jim (W39, D17, L12 vs W35, D18, L15). So we absolutely have had consistent home performances since then

Even if you just focus on Jim’s 2007/08 season where we nearly went unbeaten at home, we only actually only gained 2 more points than we did in 2014/15

If Mick was any good he'd be in work on 15:03 - Jan 22 with 1618 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

If Mick was any good he'd be in work on 15:02 - Jan 22 by Ryorry

It's far more remarkable that some people keep dragging up someone who was our last but one manager, left almost 3 years ago, and who by his own admission should have left earlier than that -

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/mick-mccarthy-on-ipswich-town-departure-2663678

“They got bored with me, but me being belligerent I wasn’t going to walk"

He’s just been appointed to a new job, in the division we used to be in - of course he’s going to be mentioned

If Mick was any good he'd be in work (n/t) on 15:44 - Jan 22 with 1578 viewsmarcus1642

Ramsey
Robson
Burley
McCarthy

[Post edited 22 Jan 2021 15:51]
BANG ON on 16:13 - Jan 22 with 1542 viewsunstableblue

BANG ON on 14:45 - Jan 22 by Herbivore

The season Magilton got sacked the struggles were very much at PR rather than away from home.

you're right, an error

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

If Mick was any good he'd be in work on 16:40 - Jan 22 with 1507 viewsipswichtillidie

Couldn’t care less what level he is at, he made going to watch a football match painfully boring. Something I once enjoyed he turned into something of boredom and frustration. Forget what’s gone since McCarthy left, he had to go and should have left much sooner.
[Post edited 22 Jan 2021 16:41]

Gav

If Mick was any good he'd be in work on 18:41 - Jan 22 with 1456 viewstextbackup

Ramsey
Robson
Burley
McCarthy

lol, imagine you really felt this.

- league winners
- fa cup, UEFA cup winners
- playoff winners, finished 5th in prem
- scrapped 6th one season, losing to rivals in playoff semi, the same rivals failed to beat in about 8 attempts.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

If Mick was any good he'd be in work on 22:16 - Jan 22 with 1404 viewsTheBoyBlue

Sigh. If only we realised that Mick was going to live forever and manage to keep us in midtable in the Championship for eternity. Gosh I feel stupid.

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

If Mick was any good he'd be in work on 22:29 - Jan 22 with 1400 viewsSuperCoops

If Mick was any good he'd be in work on 18:41 - Jan 22 by textbackup

lol, imagine you really felt this.

- league winners
- fa cup, UEFA cup winners
- playoff winners, finished 5th in prem
- scrapped 6th one season, losing to rivals in playoff semi, the same rivals failed to beat in about 8 attempts.

The sad thing is, I think he really does.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024