Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Goal 09:06 - Jan 27 with 1911 viewsitfc48

Watching last night's goal felt like a sense of deja-vu. This season we've seen numerous chances and goals come in the exact same fashion and the coaching staff and players have yet to come up with a solution.

1. Ward gets caught up field with the ball played in behind him
2. McGuiness has to cover the left back postion which is the correct thing to do.
3. Woolf gets attracted to the ball. For me this is Woolf's weakness. They were playing one striker up top and as the other centre back he should have been his priority. In the end Wyke peels off him and Woolf ends up in a nothing position.

This all leads to a massive gap that Wyke exploits. For me Dozzell isn't really a defensive midfielder, I think we miss Skuse here as he would spot the danger earlier and fill in for Woolf. The other question is should Chambers have the shuffled across to close the gap? It's a gamble given the man at the back post but the striker in the centre of the goal surely has a higher chance of scoring.

Anyway, I'm no coach, however, for me, it's unforgivable this keeps happening time and time again.

On a positive note, the lads defended well apart from that blip.
The Goal on 09:10 - Jan 27 with 1880 viewsSteve_M

Ultimately it comes back to Lambert trying to get through the season with two 35 year old full backs in a formation that demands a lot of them. It's not a surprise that both Ward and Chambers are playing less well than at the start of the season.

Wolfenden does keep making those mistakes but we've changed the central defence around too much this season. The only partnership that got consistent game time was Toto and Wilson at the start of the season.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

The Goal on 09:14 - Jan 27 with 1849 viewsmarchy

The Goal on 09:10 - Jan 27 by Steve_M

Ultimately it comes back to Lambert trying to get through the season with two 35 year old full backs in a formation that demands a lot of them. It's not a surprise that both Ward and Chambers are playing less well than at the start of the season.

Wolfenden does keep making those mistakes but we've changed the central defence around too much this season. The only partnership that got consistent game time was Toto and Wilson at the start of the season.

What the hell happened to Wilson? No recollection of any in-match injury, was this another of our several-month crocks out of nowhere?
Got injured training with the U23s.... on 09:18 - Jan 27 with 1823 viewsBloots

The Goal on 09:14 - Jan 27 by marchy

What the hell happened to Wilson? No recollection of any in-match injury, was this another of our several-month crocks out of nowhere?

...after falling out with the manager.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

The Goal on 09:21 - Jan 27 with 1817 viewsSwansea_Blue

The Goal on 09:10 - Jan 27 by Steve_M

However fit they are they can't be in two places at once, so we need to be more switched on when they are providing the attacking width on the flanks.

Notwithstanding that yes, they are both getting on and are being asked to probably play more football than they can cope with. Especially in those roles.
[Post edited 27 Jan 2021 9:29]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The Goal on 09:25 - Jan 27 with 1806 viewsSamWhiteUK

It was definitely deja vu. Dozzell showed again how poor he is defensively - while he was unlucky to find himself having to defend in there, a defensive midfielder should be doing better to cut that out, he got his positioning all wrong
The Goal on 09:38 - Jan 27 with 1763 viewsclive_baker

We were all over the place for their goal, I've got no idea what Woolfenden was doing leaving his man and getting sucked over towards the ball like that.

The biggest frustration for me over recent weeks is our lack of discipline, and I don't mean the red card incident. We just seem so wet behind the ears as a team and give away so many soft free kicks. Nsiala is a very obvious candidate when he plays, but McGuinness too. He has the attributes to be a good player, but to say he's over zealous in his approach would be an understatement. Gives a lot of freekicks away from aerial challenges especially when there's no need at all. Pretty much right from the kick off yesterday he jumps in on the edge of the box and they get a dangerous free kick. I lost count of the number of times they did a job on us in terms of winning them off Dozzell with countless fouls. Downes is another, it's like there's a real frustration to his game, some really blatant fouls under the referees nose. It's not just yesterday, it's been the case for weeks.

Really frustrating to watch.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

The Goa on 09:39 - Jan 27 with 1746 viewsChrisd

It is just basic defending, when the full back is exposed the nearest CB goes across to cover the rest of the defence then shift over a position. I thought it really bizarre some were questioning what McGuinness was doing out there?! I agree, Woolfenden was so close to McGuinness he got sucked over, it then left a huge gap between himself, Dozzell and Chambers, he was ball watching rather than looking at where the Sunderland players were. I can also see why some have mentioned about Chambers, he seemed to hold his RB position more rigidly instead of trying to get in more centrally to avert the danger. It was all too easy for Wyke, but I also thought he finished clinically, one chance, one goal.....a big difference to our strikers.
[Post edited 27 Jan 2021 10:39]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

The Goal on 09:41 - Jan 27 with 1719 viewstractorboy1978

The Goal on 09:38 - Jan 27 by clive_baker

We were all over the place for their goal, I've got no idea what Woolfenden was doing leaving his man and getting sucked over towards the ball like that.

The biggest frustration for me over recent weeks is our lack of discipline, and I don't mean the red card incident. We just seem so wet behind the ears as a team and give away so many soft free kicks. Nsiala is a very obvious candidate when he plays, but McGuinness too. He has the attributes to be a good player, but to say he's over zealous in his approach would be an understatement. Gives a lot of freekicks away from aerial challenges especially when there's no need at all. Pretty much right from the kick off yesterday he jumps in on the edge of the box and they get a dangerous free kick. I lost count of the number of times they did a job on us in terms of winning them off Dozzell with countless fouls. Downes is another, it's like there's a real frustration to his game, some really blatant fouls under the referees nose. It's not just yesterday, it's been the case for weeks.

Really frustrating to watch.

Wet behind the ears is right. We don't win free kicks at the other end of the pitch - unless Norwood is playing. Wyke is a proper centre forward, knows how to use his body, a proper focal point. Lambert is utterly useless regardless and it's not offering him an excuse but we miss Norwood so so much.
Login to get fewer ads

The Goal on 09:42 - Jan 27 with 1716 viewsNthsuffolkblue

To be fair, conceding 1 goal against as in-form Sunderland with a piece of quality like that while we have 10 men is not the problem.

The problems are these:

1 Getting and keeping players fit - there is something fundamentally wrong with injury prevention and treatment and it needs a radical overhaul.

2 A brand of football that does not create opportunities to score goals. We are turgid and pedestrian. We need a good tactician to work with players in training and then to advise on the bench during games.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

The Goal on 09:48 - Jan 27 with 1682 viewsclive_baker

The Goal on 09:41 - Jan 27 by tractorboy1978

Wet behind the ears is right. We don't win free kicks at the other end of the pitch - unless Norwood is playing. Wyke is a proper centre forward, knows how to use his body, a proper focal point. Lambert is utterly useless regardless and it's not offering him an excuse but we miss Norwood so so much.

Norwood is a proper players, and has a bit of that street wise, in the refs ear that we need. For me it comes down a little bit to experience, the likes of Chambers, Ward, Judge, Norwood are a bit more savvy, but more than that it feels like a complete lack of direction, which has to come from management. Young doesn't have to equal naïve, but at the moment we're making life so hard for ourselves.

It's basically what rugby coaches spend a lot of time working on, it's not so much ill discipline in terms of red cards (although we get them too), it's more about conceding territory and possession so easily with the cheap, avoidable, petulant fouls we're committing. It's such a stark and depressing difference to a MM team, which was so far the other way. Where we couldn't outplay, we tended to outsmart. Now we have neither.

The Goal on 09:53 - Jan 27 with 1661 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Chambers is in the right position, as he is covering the other player. Doz should be positioned better, but it is the fault of Wolf/McGuinness

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

The Goal on 10:02 - Jan 27 with 1643 viewsclive_baker

The Goal on 09:53 - Jan 27 by JammyDodgerrr

Chambers is in the right position, as he is covering the other player. Doz should be positioned better, but it is the fault of Wolf/McGuinness

McGuinness was quite right to cover the left back, as the left sided centre half. There was no need at all for Woolfenden to go with him and leave Wyke free in the middle. It really was dreadful defending. Sunday league stuff.

The Goal on 10:06 - Jan 27 with 1619 viewsChrisd

The Goal on 10:02 - Jan 27 by clive_baker

McGuinness was quite right to cover the left back, as the left sided centre half. There was no need at all for Woolfenden to go with him and leave Wyke free in the middle. It really was dreadful defending. Sunday league stuff.

Let’s ignore that because Woolfenden is one of our youth products. Point fingers at the Arsenal loanee, it’s much easier. Woolfenden does look a decent prospect, who can pass the ball, but his job first and foremost is to defend. Hopefully, Butcher will get hold of him and start teaching him the basics of being a solid CB and working with him positionally. I’m taking my blue specs off, he’s not been great generally this season.
[Post edited 27 Jan 2021 10:13]

The Goal on 10:15 - Jan 27 with 1579 viewsEwan_Oozami

The Goal on 09:48 - Jan 27 by clive_baker

Norwood is a proper players, and has a bit of that street wise, in the refs ear that we need. For me it comes down a little bit to experience, the likes of Chambers, Ward, Judge, Norwood are a bit more savvy, but more than that it feels like a complete lack of direction, which has to come from management. Young doesn't have to equal naïve, but at the moment we're making life so hard for ourselves.

It's basically what rugby coaches spend a lot of time working on, it's not so much ill discipline in terms of red cards (although we get them too), it's more about conceding territory and possession so easily with the cheap, avoidable, petulant fouls we're committing. It's such a stark and depressing difference to a MM team, which was so far the other way. Where we couldn't outplay, we tended to outsmart. Now we have neither.

The decision-making is so poor, when to run with the ball, run off the ball, where to run, to pass, tackle, foul, cover.

Whilst the players make those decisions, it's down to the management to coach them into making the right decisions - even Guardiola and Klopp do that with their players.

To not improve any of our players' decision-making over the time he's been here, is one of Lambert's biggest failings IMHO

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

The Goal on 10:17 - Jan 27 with 1573 viewsPinewoodblue

The Goal on 10:06 - Jan 27 by Chrisd

Let’s ignore that because Woolfenden is one of our youth products. Point fingers at the Arsenal loanee, it’s much easier. Woolfenden does look a decent prospect, who can pass the ball, but his job first and foremost is to defend. Hopefully, Butcher will get hold of him and start teaching him the basics of being a solid CB and working with him positionally. I’m taking my blue specs off, he’s not been great generally this season.
[Post edited 27 Jan 2021 10:13]

Is Butcher involved with first team defenders, unless they get moved down to U23’s?

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

The Goal on 10:19 - Jan 27 with 1574 viewsitfcjoe

The Goal on 10:15 - Jan 27 by Ewan_Oozami

The decision-making is so poor, when to run with the ball, run off the ball, where to run, to pass, tackle, foul, cover.

Whilst the players make those decisions, it's down to the management to coach them into making the right decisions - even Guardiola and Klopp do that with their players.

To not improve any of our players' decision-making over the time he's been here, is one of Lambert's biggest failings IMHO

It's no surprise there is a lack of discipline in decision making when you see and hear how Taylor especially acts on the sideline to the 4th officials

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The Goal on 10:23 - Jan 27 with 1562 viewslongtimefan

The Goal on 10:02 - Jan 27 by clive_baker

Agree with all that. Would also add that Dozzell did the right thing initially to track back with Wyke, but then got caught ball watching rather than concentrating on Wyke’s position and making sure he couldn’t get on the end of the cross.
The Goal on 10:34 - Jan 27 with 1508 viewsChrisd

The Goal on 10:17 - Jan 27 by Pinewoodblue

Is Butcher involved with first team defenders, unless they get moved down to U23’s?

When you have someone like Butcher at our club, with his experience and pedigree you’d be foolish not to use him and tap into that extensive knowledge. U23s or not, I’m sure he’d be delighted to assist and advise.

The Goal on 10:38 - Jan 27 with 1493 viewsPinewoodblue

The Goal on 10:34 - Jan 27 by Chrisd

When you have someone like Butcher at our club, with his experience and pedigree you’d be foolish not to use him and tap into that extensive knowledge. U23s or not, I’m sure he’d be delighted to assist and advise.

Correct would be a travesty if he had no involvement with the first team, suspect however he is kept away from them. Be interesting to know.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

The Goal on 11:31 - Jan 27 with 1409 viewsportmanroadblue

2. disagree, midfield should be covering Wards position, which leaves McGuiness to do hes job at CB.
The Goal on 12:07 - Jan 27 with 1349 viewsPhilTWTD

The Goal on 10:38 - Jan 27 by Pinewoodblue

Correct would be a travesty if he had no involvement with the first team, suspect however he is kept away from them. Be interesting to know.

As far as I'm aware he's only working with the U23s at the moment.
The Goal on 12:19 - Jan 27 with 1301 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

The Goal on 09:41 - Jan 27 by tractorboy1978

norwood spends a lot of his time moaning at the officials.

but the last clever player we had that could get a free kick for us was Joe Garner.

We do miss Skuse level head and experience in the middle. but his legs are on the way out.
The Goal on 12:24 - Jan 27 with 1273 viewsNthsuffolkblue

The Goal on 12:07 - Jan 27 by PhilTWTD

As far as I'm aware he's only working with the U23s at the moment.

"at the moment" ... keep feeding us lines, Phil. It is the hope that kills us.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024