Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Should men compete with women 12:17 - Feb 6 with 1932 viewsDarth_Koont

In deciding about women’s sports?

Too soon?

Pronouns: He/Him

Should men compete with women on 12:19 - Feb 6 with 1629 viewsBluefish

As much as the thread angered me it is shame to see it go

Understandable why and some blame to me for that

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Should men compete with women on 12:25 - Feb 6 with 1629 viewsDarth_Koont

Should men compete with women on 12:19 - Feb 6 by Bluefish

Yes, there were some excellent posts among the silly reactionary stuff. But I think it was the title that did for it.

My point here is semi-serious too. I’m involved in rugby coaching for men and women and there’s been a lot of discussion. But the most sensible, reasoned and inclusive views have come from within the sport, not from outside it, and the elite women players have been at the forefront.

Should men compete with women on 12:38 - Feb 6 with 1566 viewsHerbivore

I went for a walk. What happened with the other thread in the end?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Should men compete with women on 12:41 - Feb 6 with 1549 viewsgiant_stow

Should men compete with women on 12:25 - Feb 6 by Darth_Koont

Yes, there were some excellent posts among the silly reactionary stuff. But I think it was the title that did for it.

My point here is semi-serious too. I’m involved in rugby coaching for men and women and there’s been a lot of discussion. But the most sensible, reasoned and inclusive views have come from within the sport, not from outside it, and the elite women players have been at the forefront.

If there is such a thing a consensus among those elite players, what do they tend to think about it?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Should men compete with women on 12:41 - Feb 6 with 1545 viewsDarth_Koont

Should men compete with women on 12:38 - Feb 6 by Herbivore

No idea really. I hadn’t worked my way through as I was still reading the excellent links provided by eireblue (I think).

Should men compete with women on 12:46 - Feb 6 with 1519 viewsHerbivore

Should men compete with women on 12:41 - Feb 6 by Darth_Koont

No idea really. I hadn’t worked my way through as I was still reading the excellent links provided by eireblue (I think).

It didn't get off to a great start with the transphobic thread title. Predictably when I pointed that out, Paz down arrowed me. We can add trans people to the list of minority groups that it's okay to say offensive things about in Pazland.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Should men compete with women on 12:46 - Feb 6 with 1517 viewsEwan_Oozami

Should men compete with women on 12:38 - Feb 6 by Herbivore

There were two skilled exponents of the Trigger Post (yes, you know who you are!) going at it hammer and tongs and it probably got a bit too personal....

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Should men compete with women on 12:47 - Feb 6 with 1514 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Should men compete with women on 12:19 - Feb 6 by Bluefish

It may have been up for a brief time but it changed my opinion on the matter. Apologies, can't remember who posted this;

https://medium.com/@transphilosophr/why-its-fair-for-trans-athletes-to-compete-a

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Login to get fewer ads

Should men compete with women on 12:49 - Feb 6 with 1506 viewsAce_High1

N/T
[Post edited 6 Feb 2021 12:59]
Should men compete with women on 12:50 - Feb 6 with 1495 viewsDarth_Koont

Should men compete with women on 12:41 - Feb 6 by giant_stow

If there is such a thing a consensus among those elite players, what do they tend to think about it?

That it’s not an insurmountable or even a particularly big issue. They want it to be fair (with some sensible regulations) while also opening the door for trans women to get into the sport and potentially compete at the highest level.

Should men compete with women on 12:53 - Feb 6 with 1478 viewsgiant_stow

Should men compete with women on 12:50 - Feb 6 by Darth_Koont

That it’s not an insurmountable or even a particularly big issue. They want it to be fair (with some sensible regulations) while also opening the door for trans women to get into the sport and potentially compete at the highest level.

Interesting stuff and big of them. What sort of regulations? (sorry, I know nothing about rugby)

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Should men compete with women on 12:54 - Feb 6 with 1473 viewsDarth_Koont

Should men compete with women on 12:49 - Feb 6 by Ace_High1

N/T

Tbh that’s not what we’re talking about here. This isn’t about the rights and wrongs of the issue, more that the wrong people often have the most to say on what others should do.

Should men compete with women on 12:54 - Feb 6 with 1455 viewsJ2BLUE

N/T

I've read that about five times and don't even understand the question

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Should men compete with women on 12:57 - Feb 6 with 1443 viewsJ2BLUE

Should men compete with women on 12:47 - Feb 6 by The_Flashing_Smile

It may have been up for a brief time but it changed my opinion on the matter. Apologies, can't remember who posted this;

https://medium.com/@transphilosophr/why-its-fair-for-trans-athletes-to-compete-a

Sounds like everyone is aware there is potentially an issue and they are taking steps to level things up. Fair play.

I think this debate is always skewed by those right wing sites which find one example of it clearly being massively unfair and then push it as if it's the norm.

One best left to those who know what they are talking about!

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Should men compete with women on 12:57 - Feb 6 with 1438 viewslowhouseblue

Should men compete with women on 12:54 - Feb 6 by J2BLUE

I've read that about five times and don't even understand the question

i think it's heading towards the are lesbians who don't want to date trans women transphobic argument.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Should men compete with women on 13:05 - Feb 6 with 1382 viewsDarth_Koont

Should men compete with women on 12:53 - Feb 6 by giant_stow

Interesting stuff and big of them. What sort of regulations? (sorry, I know nothing about rugby)

That trans women players would have to use testosterone inhibitors for an extended period (2 years min) in order to play in official games.

World Rugby itself went all in on a ban at elite level, but I think that was remarkably reactionary and short-sighted as many of the country associations and players have immediately called it out. I’d expect this to change.

But it highlights the problem – as soon as you step away from the real individuals here and the real situation, this all becomes too much posturing and politics. The actual people affected and who are playing the sport should be all that matters.

Should men compete with women on 13:06 - Feb 6 with 1377 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

N/T

Not used dating apps for a couple of years but I think on most of them you can choose what you're looking for.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Should men compete with women on 13:07 - Feb 6 with 1363 viewsGuthrum

Interesting piece.

There are other cases where supreme athletes/sportspeople have physiological advantages. For example, Muttiah Muralitheran's congenitally deformed elbow helped him to take a record 800 Test Match wickets. The length of Usain Bolt's legs in proportion to his body gave him an advantage in sprinting. Michael Schumacher's heart rate under stress was abnormally low. And so on.

As long as measures are in place to prevent deliberately engineered advantages (as notoriously happened with Eastern Bloc gymnasts during the Cold War), then there is little difference.

Indeed, to maintain a gruelling top-level training regime while undergoing the gender reassignment process is an extra challenge.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Should men compete with women on 13:08 - Feb 6 with 1359 viewsgiant_stow

Should men compete with women on 13:05 - Feb 6 by Darth_Koont

That trans women players would have to use testosterone inhibitors for an extended period (2 years min) in order to play in official games.

World Rugby itself went all in on a ban at elite level, but I think that was remarkably reactionary and short-sighted as many of the country associations and players have immediately called it out. I’d expect this to change.

But it highlights the problem – as soon as you step away from the real individuals here and the real situation, this all becomes too much posturing and politics. The actual people affected and who are playing the sport should be all that matters.

Ta for the thoughts. Your last sentence seems to be a neat bottom line to all this.

Should men compete with women on 13:14 - Feb 6 with 1324 viewslowhouseblue

Should men compete with women on 13:08 - Feb 6 by giant_stow

Ta for the thoughts. Your last sentence seems to be a neat bottom line to all this.

though if you believe world rugby it sounds as if their decision making process at least tried:

https://www.world.rugby/news/591776/world-rugby-approves-updated-transgender-par

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Should men compete with women on 13:16 - Feb 6 with 1321 viewslowhouseblue

Should men compete with women on 13:07 - Feb 6 by Guthrum

Interesting piece.

There are other cases where supreme athletes/sportspeople have physiological advantages. For example, Muttiah Muralitheran's congenitally deformed elbow helped him to take a record 800 Test Match wickets. The length of Usain Bolt's legs in proportion to his body gave him an advantage in sprinting. Michael Schumacher's heart rate under stress was abnormally low. And so on.

As long as measures are in place to prevent deliberately engineered advantages (as notoriously happened with Eastern Bloc gymnasts during the Cold War), then there is little difference.

Indeed, to maintain a gruelling top-level training regime while undergoing the gender reassignment process is an extra challenge.

also the whole issue of where you draw the line between people with differences in order to achieve fairness is pretty dominant in disabled sport. the fact that a disability category includes people with a range of conditions which imply different levels of impediment isn't then a case for letting anyone compete within that category.

Should men compete with women on 13:23 - Feb 6 with 1293 viewsGuthrum

Should men compete with women on 13:16 - Feb 6 by lowhouseblue

also the whole issue of where you draw the line between people with differences in order to achieve fairness is pretty dominant in disabled sport. the fact that a disability category includes people with a range of conditions which imply different levels of impediment isn't then a case for letting anyone compete within that category.

Tho in those cases, there are specified limits to each category. Much the same as the weight classifications in boxing.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Should men compete with women on 13:29 - Feb 6 with 1267 viewslowhouseblue

Should men compete with women on 13:23 - Feb 6 by Guthrum

Tho in those cases, there are specified limits to each category. Much the same as the weight classifications in boxing.

exactly - but there is still variation within those categories. there have been controversies about exactly where the limits are drawn. the article was arguing that medical differences amongst biological women may give some a physical advantage. that's undoubtedly true. it then said that letting people with XY chromosomes compete would be no different to that. i was just pointing out that variation within disability categories has never been seen as a justification to do away with the categorisation and open them up to others.

Should men compete with women on 13:31 - Feb 6 with 1245 viewsBelsteadCav

Should men compete with women on 12:57 - Feb 6 by J2BLUE

Sounds like everyone is aware there is potentially an issue and they are taking steps to level things up. Fair play.

I think this debate is always skewed by those right wing sites which find one example of it clearly being massively unfair and then push it as if it's the norm.

One best left to those who know what they are talking about!

Which probably means nobody on here

King of the board since 98
Poll: Updated Poll . What would you rather win as a Sportsman

Should men compete with women on 13:35 - Feb 6 with 1226 viewseireblue

I think it was that person who tends to also be very wise, and it is very much worth following his advise when it comes to matters around diet and the ethics of animal exploitation and environmental impact.

Handsome devil as well, I have heard.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024