Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Has a manager ever been given this much time 10:16 - Feb 13 with 1293 viewstractordownsouth

after it became clear to everyone they were rubbish? Even if we include the free pass on relegation, most of our fans knew Lambert was hopeless by December 2019, yet he's still in a job.

Steve Kean at Blackburn must come close - everyone knew he was a joke shortly after his appointment in December 2010, yet Wikipedia informs me that he lasted until October 2012. Lee Clark at Birmingham perhaps? Went almost year without winning a home game and was only dismissed during his 2nd season of almost getting them relegated.

Can't think of anymore.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Has a manager ever been given this much time on 10:25 - Feb 13 with 1255 viewsBrianTablet

David Brent?

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

Has a manager ever been given this much time on 10:26 - Feb 13 with 1251 viewshadleighboyblue

I think everyone knows that there is no way back for PL and even PL himself gives the impression he doesn't want to be here any more .

So why is he still here ........the amount of pay off can be the only reason , but the longer ME dithers , the worse things are for ITFC .
Has a manager ever been given this much time on 10:26 - Feb 13 with 1247 viewsWD19

It’s been a while since we had a Jeremy Corbyn thread...
Has a manager ever been given this much time on 10:29 - Feb 13 with 1227 viewsfooters

Different kettle of fish but I suppose some England managers will fit into this category.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Has a manager ever been given this much time on 10:30 - Feb 13 with 1220 viewsBlueBadger

Don't forget, Evans has previous for this. Keane held onto his job into 2010, when frankly he should have been sacked by the end of September.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Has a manager ever been given this much time on 10:31 - Feb 13 with 1215 viewsBlueBadger

Has a manager ever been given this much time on 10:26 - Feb 13 by WD19

And so begins today's ten pager..

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Has a manager ever been given this much time on 10:38 - Feb 13 with 1203 viewsBluefish

It was obvious in March 2019 if not before

To be fair it was obvious before he got here, just speak to villa or Stoke fans

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Has a manager ever been given this much time on 10:48 - Feb 13 with 1178 viewsDarth_Koont

Has a manager ever been given this much time on 10:26 - Feb 13 by WD19

Beat me to it. Although I immediately thought Starmer ...

Platitudes, no plan and should be doing better considering the level of the opposition. And increasingly losing supporters through being narky.

But on a serious note, this is exactly where we were with Jewell and a much bigger budget. Slowly losing our way and trying to throw players at the problem rather than getting back to basics by setting up the team properly and forging a unit.
[Post edited 13 Feb 2021 10:49]

Pronouns: He/Him

Login to get fewer ads

Has a manager ever been given this much time on 10:56 - Feb 13 with 1135 viewstractordownsouth

Has a manager ever been given this much time on 10:48 - Feb 13 by Darth_Koont

Platitudes, no plan and should be doing better considering the level of the opposition. And increasingly losing supporters through being narky.

But on a serious note, this is exactly where we were with Jewell and a much bigger budget. Slowly losing our way and trying to throw players at the problem rather than getting back to basics by setting up the team properly and forging a unit.

Our budget relative to the league we're in is higher than it was under Jewell though.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Has a manager ever been given this much time on 11:12 - Feb 13 with 1088 viewsDarth_Koont

Has a manager ever been given this much time on 10:56 - Feb 13 by tractordownsouth

Our budget relative to the league we're in is higher than it was under Jewell though.

Possibly. We were one of the bigger spenders in the Championship under Jewell.

Although, I didn’t really explain what I meant. I was thinking more of that bigger budget allowing a manager to recruit players who are more adept at fulfilling specific roles for the team. That seems to be a difference between Championship and League One players and how sides can be built.

Has a manager ever been given this much time on 11:37 - Feb 13 with 1030 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Has a manager ever been given this much time on 10:48 - Feb 13 by Darth_Koont

I think the thread is about people staying in a post for ages going backwards, not those that have gained c15 points in the polls in under a year

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Has a manager ever been given this much time on 11:52 - Feb 13 with 979 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I wonder how his statistics (over a far longer time and at a lower level) compare to this lot.

https://www.thesportster.com/soccer/top-15-worst-soccer-managers-of-all-time/

Not very favourably I would imagine. What was the longest any of them got?

PS I do like the fact ME gives his managers time, but there is a point at which it is too long. Once it is abundantly clear a manager is incapable of turning things around, it really is stubbornness.
[Post edited 13 Feb 2021 11:53]

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Has a manager ever been given this much time on 11:56 - Feb 13 with 948 viewsBlueBadger

Has a manager ever been given this much time on 11:52 - Feb 13 by Nthsuffolkblue

I wonder how his statistics (over a far longer time and at a lower level) compare to this lot.

https://www.thesportster.com/soccer/top-15-worst-soccer-managers-of-all-time/

Not very favourably I would imagine. What was the longest any of them got?

PS I do like the fact ME gives his managers time, but there is a point at which it is too long. Once it is abundantly clear a manager is incapable of turning things around, it really is stubbornness.
[Post edited 13 Feb 2021 11:53]

I'd enjoy his patience a lot more if it wasn't combined with his knack for hiring mostly crap managers.

Has a manager ever been given this much time on 12:01 - Feb 13 with 933 viewspatrickswell

Has a manager ever been given this much time on 10:31 - Feb 13 by BlueBadger

And so begins today's ten pager..

Depriving a government of their majority has to be the political equivalent of an unsuccessful play-off campaign at least.

I’d forgive Lambert relegation into League 2 if he did something to mess the Tories up.
Has a manager ever been given this much time on 12:56 - Feb 13 with 815 viewsBlueBadger

Has a manager ever been given this much time on 12:01 - Feb 13 by patrickswell

Depriving a government of their majority has to be the political equivalent of an unsuccessful play-off campaign at least.

I’d forgive Lambert relegation into League 2 if he did something to mess the Tories up.

On the other hand, a landslide defeat, losing loads of previously safe seats is definitely 'feeble relegation followed by midtable in the third division' territory...

Has a manager ever been given this much time on 13:00 - Feb 13 with 794 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Has a manager ever been given this much time on 12:56 - Feb 13 by BlueBadger

On the other hand, a landslide defeat, losing loads of previously safe seats is definitely 'feeble relegation followed by midtable in the third division' territory...

Lost the election in 2017 but played some ‘nice stuff’ and ‘set the groundwork for the long term’...

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Has a manager ever been given this much time on 13:45 - Feb 13 with 711 viewsDarth_Koont

Has a manager ever been given this much time on 11:37 - Feb 13 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I think the thread is about people staying in a post for ages going backwards, not those that have gained c15 points in the polls in under a year

Although still behind where the previous manager was and given a far easier ride all the way.

BCWYWF 😀

Has a manager ever been given this much time on 13:48 - Feb 13 with 689 viewsjayessess

There's no one in the football league with a win percentage lower than Lambert who has been given this much time:

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Has a manager ever been given this much time on 13:51 - Feb 13 with 680 viewsDarth_Koont

Has a manager ever been given this much time on 12:56 - Feb 13 by BlueBadger

Gmpf .

Knew what was needed but was hounded out by shallow, self-entitled twerps who wanted a more “technical” approach. Now they’re still none the wiser what they want but “Well said, Keir”.

Has a manager ever been given this much time on 13:56 - Feb 13 with 664 viewspointofblue

Has a manager ever been given this much time on 13:51 - Feb 13 by Darth_Koont

Gmpf .

Knew what was needed but was hounded out by shallow, self-entitled twerps who wanted a more “technical” approach. Now they’re still none the wiser what they want but “Well said, Keir”.

Knew what was needed but ran out of ideas of how to present it to those whose support was required. Maybe more akin to Hurst than Lambert.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Has a manager ever been given this much time on 14:04 - Feb 13 with 644 viewsDarth_Koont

Has a manager ever been given this much time on 13:56 - Feb 13 by pointofblue

Knew what was needed but ran out of ideas of how to present it to those whose support was required. Maybe more akin to Hurst than Lambert.

Depends how long Starmer lasts. And he hasn’t had any ideas yet.

But yeah, if he doesn’t survive the year then he will be Hurst. Trumpeted by those “in the know” as a proper leader but blew a promising platform, ultimately clueless and appealing to no-one, and will leave the party in a much worse state.

Luckily politics isn’t like football and we don’t have to stick with what we’ve got. In fact, we have a duty to move on to support better alternatives.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024