Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine 23:22 - Feb 18 with 13170 viewsStokieBlue

From the Guardian:

"Doctors and public health officials have pleaded with Germans to take up AstraZeneca Covid vaccines, AFP reports. German healthcare facilities have reported several hundred thousand vials sitting unused and rampant no-shows at scheduled appointments.

Officials in Italy, Austria and Bulgaria were also starting to signal some public resistance to the British vaccine, and France’s health minister, Olivier Véran, got the jab live on television to drum up support.

“If you are given the choice between AstraZeneca now or another vaccine in a few months, you should definitely take AstraZeneca now,” implored Carsten Watzl, general secretary of the German Society for Immunology."

This is all the result of the careless and confrontational language which was being bandied around a few weeks back about the AZ vaccine, a lot of it incorrect or hyperbole. Just another thing they haven't handled correctly and it's really having an effect. Having unused vials of AZ sitting around as the public are refusing it is criminal at the moment when there are countless countries who would take it in an instant.

Shambolic and depressing.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 23:32 - Feb 18 with 3267 viewsstringy

Indeed; send it all to Canada asap please if not wanted (depressingly slow roll out here)

conversely wasn't there something reported about little Englanders refusing the foreign one and wanting to wait for the AZ instead

*sigh*
EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 23:38 - Feb 18 with 3243 viewsJ2BLUE

They should be really proud of themselves. Putting politics before people has caused this.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 00:18 - Feb 19 with 3167 viewsfactual_blue

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 23:38 - Feb 18 by J2BLUE

They should be really proud of themselves. Putting politics before people has caused this.

It's a good job our Government hasn't made poor decision based on their own ludicrous, half-baked libertarian views.

If they had, we'd be looking at almost 120,000 Covid-related deaths.

Oh....

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 00:23 - Feb 19 with 3151 viewsJ2BLUE

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 00:18 - Feb 19 by factual_blue

It's a good job our Government hasn't made poor decision based on their own ludicrous, half-baked libertarian views.

Oh....

I never said they hadn't. Our government have got almost every decision wrong and may well have started the issues in Europe by banging on about vaccinating more people than the rest of Europe combined etc. Needless bragging which was bound to get a reaction.

That doesn't change what I said about the EU though.

Truly impaired.

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 00:27 - Feb 19 with 3135 viewsLord_Lucan

Oh....

WOW!

Mr Smugness Arizona

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 00:31 - Feb 19 with 3120 viewsJ2BLUE

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 00:27 - Feb 19 by Lord_Lucan

WOW!

Mr Smugness Arizona

If this thread was critical of the UK government and you mentioned the EU there'd be lots of crying about 'whataboutery'.

Doesn't seem to go two ways.

Truly impaired.

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 00:58 - Feb 19 with 3072 viewsjeera

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 00:31 - Feb 19 by J2BLUE

If this thread was critical of the UK government and you mentioned the EU there'd be lots of crying about 'whataboutery'.

Doesn't seem to go two ways.

Although this appears to be a public issue rather than a governmental one?

Is this connected to that German newspaper that published some nonsense about the Oxford when they got some basic numbers wrong?

I won't pretend to have been following much of it too closely.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 06:47 - Feb 19 with 2929 viewsellerblue

I live in the most populated state NRW the roll out of the vaccine is nothing short of a disaster, Astrazeneca will not be given to the over sixty fives resulting in vaccine centres practically standing idle and a date of mid may forecast as completion of the over eighties, i am sixty nine and my forecast date is October, the booking system in NRW has completely broken down six hundred people were given the same appointment and to complicate it further here you do not register with a doctor you can see who you want so they are struggling to come up with a comprehensive list of peoples ages and this is complicated further by Germanys strict privacy laws, what started out as a united front to the initial covid infection has fallen into complete shambles, we are in total lockdown till the 7th March but this being Gernmany hair salons can open on 1st March. As per usual the German press will not openly criticize the goverment, but have been praising the UK vaccine programme.

Heinsberg Blue

Login to get fewer ads

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 07:00 - Feb 19 with 2887 viewsellerblue

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 06:47 - Feb 19 by ellerblue

I live in the most populated state NRW the roll out of the vaccine is nothing short of a disaster, Astrazeneca will not be given to the over sixty fives resulting in vaccine centres practically standing idle and a date of mid may forecast as completion of the over eighties, i am sixty nine and my forecast date is October, the booking system in NRW has completely broken down six hundred people were given the same appointment and to complicate it further here you do not register with a doctor you can see who you want so they are struggling to come up with a comprehensive list of peoples ages and this is complicated further by Germanys strict privacy laws, what started out as a united front to the initial covid infection has fallen into complete shambles, we are in total lockdown till the 7th March but this being Gernmany hair salons can open on 1st March. As per usual the German press will not openly criticize the goverment, but have been praising the UK vaccine programme.

must add to my previous post as far as i am aware it is not the german people refusing Astrazeneca it is the authorities refusing to use it

Heinsberg Blue

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 07:07 - Feb 19 with 2848 views26_Paz

‘Shambolic and depressing’ and absolutely fantastic description of the EU.

The Paz Man

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 07:31 - Feb 19 with 2746 viewsmikeybloo88

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 00:58 - Feb 19 by jeera

Is this connected to that German newspaper that published some nonsense about the Oxford when they got some basic numbers wrong?

No, it is a government one, there's no excusing the German or French governments hissy fits on this one I'm afraid.
EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 07:33 - Feb 19 with 2750 viewsMoriarty

If a person wants Pfizer or Moderna it’s not necessarily political.

Pfizer and Moderna have 95% efficacy. AZ say their vaccine has 76-82% efficacy whereas European Medicine Agency say it’s actually 60%.

AZ not being used in South Africa as it has very little efficacy against SA variant.

Also, time frame between first and second jab is longer with AZ jab.

AZ is still a very good vaccine and U.K. have enjoyed a far greater roll out than EU. A top up will most likely be needed on all vaccines before year end.

The only way to stop variants is to stop the virus.

We’re giving Pfizer and Moderna to our over 70s. That’s not politics.

fka omuircheartaigh

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 07:53 - Feb 19 with 2688 viewsStokieBlue

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 07:00 - Feb 19 by ellerblue

must add to my previous post as far as i am aware it is not the german people refusing Astrazeneca it is the authorities refusing to use it

This isn't the case. The authorities are asking people to take it (below 65 as well I believe) but they are refusing it. It's clearly in the quotes I posted.

People are refusing it because of the dangerous language used by EU governments a few weeks back.

SB

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 07:54 - Feb 19 with 2678 viewsStokieBlue

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 07:33 - Feb 19 by Moriarty

Pfizer and Moderna have 95% efficacy. AZ say their vaccine has 76-82% efficacy whereas European Medicine Agency say it’s actually 60%.

AZ not being used in South Africa as it has very little efficacy against SA variant.

AZ is still a very good vaccine and U.K. have enjoyed a far greater roll out than EU. A top up will most likely be needed on all vaccines before year end.

Germany doesn't really have the SA variant and 60% is more than enough efficacy to get the process of vaccinations underway.

The people don't want it because Macron went on TV and said it didn't work which is correct and is a huge simplification. The Germany papers went large on it not working for over 65's, something the WHO have disagreed with and which isn't proven. I will check later if it's only over 65's refusing it but that's not the implication from articles I've read.

This is on the politicians and their grandstanding a few weeks back. They have totally undermined confidence in the AZ vaccine within the EU.

The real crime here is vaccines sitting there not being used, plenty of other countries would gladly take them.

SB
[Post edited 19 Feb 2021 7:59]

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 07:56 - Feb 19 with 2664 viewsStokieBlue

Oh....

That has absolutely nothing to do with the thread but thanks for the contribution.

You'll not get much argument that the UK government has done poorly but shoehorning it into every thread you can is unproductive and pointless.

SB

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 07:57 - Feb 19 with 2657 viewsStokieBlue

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 00:58 - Feb 19 by jeera

It wasn't just the newspaper, the messaging in general was very confrontational and misleading from a number of intuitions and politicians. It's not just Germany either, France are seeing the same thing and Macron made some pretty controversial statements about the AZ vaccine live on national TV.

SB

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 07:59 - Feb 19 with 2642 viewsm14_blue

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 07:57 - Feb 19 by StokieBlue

It wasn't just the newspaper, the messaging in general was very confrontational and misleading from a number of intuitions and politicians. It's not just Germany either, France are seeing the same thing and Macron made some pretty controversial statements about the AZ vaccine live on national TV.

SB

Macron’s comments, in a country well known for vaccine scepticism, were incredibly irresponsible.
EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 08:03 - Feb 19 with 2620 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 07:33 - Feb 19 by Moriarty

Question for you or Stokie....is the virus any more or less likely to mutate (and subsequently reinfect) if it tries to infect a vaccinated rather than unvaccinated body or does it make no difference?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 08:03 - Feb 19 with 2616 viewsellerblue

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 07:53 - Feb 19 by StokieBlue

This isn't the case. The authorities are asking people to take it (below 65 as well I believe) but they are refusing it. It's clearly in the quotes I posted.

People are refusing it because of the dangerous language used by EU governments a few weeks back.

SB

well we must disagree have just looked on my local NRW covoid vaccine page and it clearly states that AstraZeneca will not be used on over 65, and speaking with my elderly german neighbours not one of them has been offered Astrazeneca and that they would gladly accept it, it might differ in other states but this is what is happening i am over 65 and i havent been offered anything till probably October.

Heinsberg Blue

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 08:06 - Feb 19 with 2589 viewsStokieBlue

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 08:03 - Feb 19 by ellerblue

well we must disagree have just looked on my local NRW covoid vaccine page and it clearly states that AstraZeneca will not be used on over 65, and speaking with my elderly german neighbours not one of them has been offered Astrazeneca and that they would gladly accept it, it might differ in other states but this is what is happening i am over 65 and i havent been offered anything till probably October.

Then who is refusing the vaccine? Someone definitely is because it's been reported in Germany that people aren't turning up for appointments and that hundreds of thousands of vials are unused.

This is quoted from the Guardian from German sources:

"Doctors and public health officials have pleaded with Germans to take up AstraZeneca Covid vaccines, AFP reports. German healthcare facilities have reported several hundred thousand vials sitting unused and rampant no-shows at scheduled appointments."

From your post that can only mean under 65's are refusing it which is even worse as it's proven to work for them absolutely fine.

SB

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 08:07 - Feb 19 with 2581 viewsGuthrum

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 08:03 - Feb 19 by BanksterDebtSlave

Question for you or Stokie....is the virus any more or less likely to mutate (and subsequently reinfect) if it tries to infect a vaccinated rather than unvaccinated body or does it make no difference?

It stands a much reduced chance of being able to take root in a vaccinated host. Thus cannot reproduce, so mutations will not occur (they are just copying errors in the RNA chain).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 08:08 - Feb 19 with 2576 viewsStokieBlue

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 08:03 - Feb 19 by BanksterDebtSlave

The point is that if you are vaccinated it won't be around long enough and in high enough viral loads to make a mutation likely, your body will deal with the infection as it will know how to fight it.

The bigger issue is opening up and then having the virus surge through the "low risk" population and thus have lots of chances to mutate.

Although unless we close our borders forever a mutation is far more likely outside of the UK as there are many more people outside the UK and that would then find it's way in at some point.

SB

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 08:16 - Feb 19 with 2551 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 08:08 - Feb 19 by StokieBlue

The point is that if you are vaccinated it won't be around long enough and in high enough viral loads to make a mutation likely, your body will deal with the infection as it will know how to fight it.

The bigger issue is opening up and then having the virus surge through the "low risk" population and thus have lots of chances to mutate.

Although unless we close our borders forever a mutation is far more likely outside of the UK as there are many more people outside the UK and that would then find it's way in at some point.

SB

Thanks, Guthers too.
As stated I was prepared to take my chances but that makes a difference....despite the provisos you highlight!
[Post edited 19 Feb 2021 8:18]

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 08:20 - Feb 19 with 2536 viewsellerblue

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 08:06 - Feb 19 by StokieBlue

Then who is refusing the vaccine? Someone definitely is because it's been reported in Germany that people aren't turning up for appointments and that hundreds of thousands of vials are unused.

This is quoted from the Guardian from German sources:

"Doctors and public health officials have pleaded with Germans to take up AstraZeneca Covid vaccines, AFP reports. German healthcare facilities have reported several hundred thousand vials sitting unused and rampant no-shows at scheduled appointments."

From your post that can only mean under 65's are refusing it which is even worse as it's proven to work for them absolutely fine.

SB

I have a problem with the qoute because the vaccine centres did not open in NRW till the 8th Feb and since that date the appointment system has broken down as i stated in my previous post,and as far as i can read the stockpiled Astrazeneca is being used on heathcare and associated staff the under 65 are not refusing it because we are still doing the 80 plus and anyone under 80 has not been offered anything yet. In short it is a complete cock up and i agree not helped by certain german officials views regarding Astrazeneca

Heinsberg Blue

EU seeing public resistance to the AZ vaccine on 08:28 - Feb 19 with 2489 viewshype313

Oh....

Whilst that is shocking, what has it got to do with this thread?

Whataboutery in it's finest form.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024