Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
At least Rangers are winning today 16:21 - Mar 6 with 6605 viewsgtsb1966

and could officially win the league at Celtic next week. Please God let that happen.
At least Rangers are winning today on 21:19 - Mar 6 with 2809 viewsMelford

At least Rangers are winning today on 21:14 - Mar 6 by 26_Paz

Both sides have some pretty distasteful songs if we’re being honest.

Celtic sing some disgusting stuff too and I wouldn't even try to defend that. The Rangers stuff I take more personally because it relates to my family background, my mum doesn't go to church but she's got rosary beads and a little picture of the Pope.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

At least Rangers are winning today on 21:21 - Mar 6 with 2788 views26_Paz

At least Rangers are winning today on 21:19 - Mar 6 by Melford

Celtic sing some disgusting stuff too and I wouldn't even try to defend that. The Rangers stuff I take more personally because it relates to my family background, my mum doesn't go to church but she's got rosary beads and a little picture of the Pope.

As someone said earlier the whole sectarian thing is pretty mental. I guess you just don’t understand it unless you were brought up with it

The Paz Man

At least Rangers are winning today on 21:26 - Mar 6 with 2767 viewschicoazul

WATP

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

At least Rangers are winning today on 21:27 - Mar 6 with 2762 viewsDinnernotTea

At least Rangers are winning today on 21:19 - Mar 6 by Melford

And I think this is usually why Englishmen choose either or. You have that and take personally fair enough. When Celtic fans sing about Lee Rigby's death it's more personal to myself and others having past or current family members serve in the British Army.

Both are equally as bad as each other for over the top views/songs.

Beware of The Ipswich Cabbages

At least Rangers are winning today on 21:42 - Mar 6 with 2738 viewsjeera

At least Rangers are winning today on 21:27 - Mar 6 by DinnernotTea

And I think this is usually why Englishmen choose either or. You have that and take personally fair enough. When Celtic fans sing about Lee Rigby's death it's more personal to myself and others having past or current family members serve in the British Army.

Both are equally as bad as each other for over the top views/songs.

Anyone singing that crap about other human beings are low-life regardless of their affiliations.

The mind boggles as to why grown adults think there is anything to be gained by that divisive nonsense.

Let alone think it's clever to insult the families of the dead and/or those in mourning.
[Post edited 6 Mar 2021 21:46]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

At least Rangers are winning today on 23:04 - Mar 6 with 2676 viewsGodzilla

Good to see the big two back competing again.
At least Rangers are winning today on 00:50 - Mar 7 with 2641 viewsThe_Last_Baron

At least Rangers are winning today on 21:14 - Mar 6 by 26_Paz

Both sides have some pretty distasteful songs if we’re being honest.

I remember waiting to get on a ferry at Belfast just after Christmas 1997. Getting off the other side of the glass was a hoard of Celtic fans singing about Billy Wright, who'd been assassinated a few days before. I was wearing a blue and white Town scarf which they thought was Rangers. Got tons of vile abuse from a bunch of neanderthals. To be honest it didn't bother me, these were really dirty individuals. I just smiled at them.

Funnily enough Celtic had managed to beat Rangers that day for the first time in an age. 2-0. Guess who scored one of the goals...Paul Lambert.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

At least Rangers are winning today on 07:23 - Mar 7 with 2606 viewsnoggin

I kind of like Hibs. Decent fans and the best anthem in football.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Login to get fewer ads

At least Rangers are winning today on 07:38 - Mar 7 with 2590 viewsdickie

At least Rangers are winning today on 07:23 - Mar 7 by noggin

I kind of like Hibs. Decent fans and the best anthem in football.

I always used to have a soft spot for Hearts - I think it started because Newcy when we were at school actually! Lost interest after they sacked Burley though
At least Rangers are winning today on 07:40 - Mar 7 with 2577 viewsGlasgowBlue

At least Rangers are winning today on 20:13 - Mar 6 by MattinLondon

Aimed at me. Wrong colour I guess for what seemed a fair few of them.

Disgusting,

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

At least Rangers are winning today on 07:51 - Mar 7 with 2562 viewsGlasgowBlue

At least Rangers are winning today on 20:51 - Mar 6 by vapour_trail

I can’t stand Rangers and I can’t stand Celtic. And English that get invested in that rivalry, I’m deeply suspicious of. I say this as a passionate Irish nationalist.

I did used to like Rangers as a boy because Butcher played for them, but know too much about the respective fan bases these days.

Yeah. Their pro unionist stance seems to attract a BNP element of English fans.

When my son was born I was determined that he wouldn’t be a Celtic or Rangers fan. It’s been hard keeping him on the Town path considering our lack of success since he’s been born. All of his pals are either one or the other.

But I’ve seen the hate and bigotry from both sides of the sectarian divide. It’s a hatred that is ingrained in them from the day they are born. These people aren’t religious. They don’t attend church or practice their religion. But they are taught to hate the other side from the day they are born. I never wanted my boy to get involved in that crap.

I have friends who are both Rangers and Celtic. On the surface, they can spend the majority of the time in each other’s comoany. But it doesn’t take much for the atmosphere to take a turn for the worse. One is always a “hin” whilst the other is always a “Fenian”.

Every aspect of people’s religion up here spills into daily life. It can affect somebody’s employment prospects depending on which football club they support.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

At least Rangers are winning today on 09:19 - Mar 7 with 2533 viewsBlueLikeJazz

At least Rangers are winning today on 18:45 - Mar 6 by gtsb1966

Do you hate Celtic too?

Yup, a plague on both their houses.
At least Rangers are winning today on 09:31 - Mar 7 with 2518 viewsbrazil1982

I went to a Rangers match a few years back, quite an experience drinking down Paisley Road.
At least Rangers are winning today on 09:55 - Mar 7 with 2499 viewsnoggin

At least Rangers are winning today on 09:31 - Mar 7 by brazil1982

I went to a Rangers match a few years back, quite an experience drinking down Paisley Road.

I went to a lot of Rangers games in the 80s and it is an amazing experience, but the bigotry is throughout the fan base. Many of them say they're not bigoted but after a couple of pints they show their true colours. Really sad.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

At least Rangers are winning today on 09:56 - Mar 7 with 2499 viewsLeaky

At least Rangers are winning today on 19:01 - Mar 6 by MattinLondon

And Rangers don’t sing anti-Irish catholic songs.

Sectarianism on either side is pathetic but my reasoning disliking Rangers has nothing to do with politics.

I went to a pre -season friendly in Belfast Glentoren v Town a real eye opener. West Belfast the pubs all got the Union Jack flag outside picture of the Queen & and one of Georgie Best. Go to East Belfast pubs flying the Tricolour & picture of the Pope behind the bar
At least Rangers are winning today on 10:48 - Mar 7 with 2469 viewsBlue_Order

GLASGOW RANGERS CHAMPIONS.
At least Rangers are winning today on 13:53 - Mar 7 with 2404 viewsJ2BLUE

I remember the Celtic fans crying and bitching when Rodgers went to Leicester because he had thrown away the chance for 10 in a row. Most of them won when it was a one team league.

Absolutely delighted that they've fooked it up. Deluded fools.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

At least Rangers are winning today on 14:17 - Mar 7 with 2382 views26_Paz

At least Rangers are winning today on 13:53 - Mar 7 by J2BLUE

I remember the Celtic fans crying and bitching when Rodgers went to Leicester because he had thrown away the chance for 10 in a row. Most of them won when it was a one team league.

Absolutely delighted that they've fooked it up. Deluded fools.

Love to see it

The Paz Man

At least Rangers are winning today on 21:25 - Mar 7 with 2307 viewsThe_Last_Baron

At least Rangers are winning today on 09:56 - Mar 7 by Leaky

I went to a pre -season friendly in Belfast Glentoren v Town a real eye opener. West Belfast the pubs all got the Union Jack flag outside picture of the Queen & and one of Georgie Best. Go to East Belfast pubs flying the Tricolour & picture of the Pope behind the bar

Are you sure you're talking apart Belfast?

You won't see many tricolours in east Belfast. And apart from the Shankill, you won't see many Union flags in west Belfast.

I was at that Glentoran game. 3-1 Town. My best memory of the game are planes flying over the ground as it 8s a mile from Belfast City Airport.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

At least Rangers are winning today on 23:58 - Mar 7 with 2241 viewspelles321

At least Rangers are winning today on 09:55 - Mar 7 by noggin

I went to a lot of Rangers games in the 80s and it is an amazing experience, but the bigotry is throughout the fan base. Many of them say they're not bigoted but after a couple of pints they show their true colours. Really sad.

It was beyond the fan base. Rangers would not knowingly sign a catholic player until 1989. Jock Stein would say if there were two talented youngsters in Glasgow, one Protestant and one catholic, he would put his effort into signing the one from the Protestant family as he knew rangers wouldn’t even try to sign the boy from the catholic family. Hence Celtic’s dominance when he was in charge.
At least Rangers are winning today on 00:22 - Mar 8 with 2232 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Rangers' dominance is guaranteed for the next few years if celtic are by some miracle appoint Lambert.

Well done Rangers !
At least Rangers are winning today on 01:48 - Mar 8 with 2206 viewstopshout

At least Rangers are winning today on 09:31 - Mar 7 by brazil1982

I have been to Ibrox quite a few times (never against Celtic mind) and always found the supporters to be excellent and having a very deep passion not just for their team but football as a whole. Never a seconds trouble, fantastic Scotch Pies and I was a young(ish) lad from Lowestoft with a Scottish family relations in Glasgow.

I also attended a family wedding at the conference suite next to Ibrox and run by Rangers. It was matchday and half a dozen players turned up after the game to wish the happy couple well. I was totally made up. The one thing that sticks in my mind was the effort the club itself were putting into trying to stamp out the Sectarianism rubbish and it was great that we even had Celtic supporters on the guest list and all got on really well.

Anyway well done today to Rangers this season and lets hope our own mighty Blues can replicate their success down here in England where to be fair we ain't usually that nice to our own nemesis in yellow and green. COYB
At least Rangers are winning today on 07:39 - Mar 8 with 2146 viewsWeWereZombies

At least Rangers are winning today on 23:58 - Mar 7 by pelles321

It was beyond the fan base. Rangers would not knowingly sign a catholic player until 1989. Jock Stein would say if there were two talented youngsters in Glasgow, one Protestant and one catholic, he would put his effort into signing the one from the Protestant family as he knew rangers wouldn’t even try to sign the boy from the catholic family. Hence Celtic’s dominance when he was in charge.

Worth remembering that Jock Stein was Protestant but Celtic signed him as a player and even made him team captain before appointing him reserve team coach at the end of his playing days. However, when it came replacing the first team manager Stein was told he would not be considered because of his faith. Apparently no one had seen Stein more upset by anything as he was by that decision and most of the reserve team were mortified too.

So first Dunfermline and then Hibernian benefited from Celtic's mistake whilst the team that Stein really wanted to manage languished in the doldrums. Eventually the Celtic board were persuaded and Stein left Hibs to reunite with the reserve team he had managed at Celtic as they graduated to the first team and formed the Lisbon Lions, going on to be the first British team to lift the European Cup. With a team all born within thirty miles of Glasgow.
[Post edited 8 Mar 2021 7:40]

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024