Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I seem to have seen the game a bit differently to many on here 08:58 - Mar 7 with 3078 viewsurbanblue

Yes, it was crap but did none of you notice that we were trying to play in a completely different way to 'normal'? I mentioned this on here at half time but the instructions were clearly to get the ball forward as quickly as possible, not as in a hoof, but to the feet.

The players struggled with it, I mean they are so in the habits ingrained in them. Even the opening kick off for the first time for ages we passed it to someones feet!! Then, every kick off after each goal it was back to the old hoof it into touch Rugby style.

Cook had to go with an unchanged side after the three wins and it will be interesting who is selected Tuesday when it is 'his' selection. I wonder whether he will bring Matheson in as full backs need to get forward. Maybe move Chambers into the centre. There will probably be a few who will be given a rest.

Once he gets his team playing his way I reckon it will be good to watch. I am not as pessimistic as a lot of you and feel some of our squad will really improve. Not all, and there will be new faces, but he has to get the current lot 'retrained".

Hold on for the ride!

I seem to have seen the game a bit differently to many on here on 09:11 - Mar 7 with 2952 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

We all have to remember this club has not played 'proper football' for at least a decade.

It's going to take time.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

I seem to have seen the game a bit differently to many on here on 09:14 - Mar 7 with 2922 viewsblueislander

Yesterday it was as if they were playing with a ballon on a concrete surface. The ball spent an awful lot of the time in the air. It was horrible to watch. Our distribution by the back four , and goalkeeper was abysmal.
I seem to have seen the game a bit differently to many on here on 09:19 - Mar 7 with 2882 viewsPinewoodblue

In a way Cook is spoilt for choice. Doubt he has ever found himself with so many players to select from.

To fine tune you need to work with a manageable squad. He will get there I am sure.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

I seem to have seen the game a bit differently to many on here on 09:20 - Mar 7 with 2879 viewsurbanblue

I seem to have seen the game a bit differently to many on here on 09:14 - Mar 7 by blueislander

Yesterday it was as if they were playing with a ballon on a concrete surface. The ball spent an awful lot of the time in the air. It was horrible to watch. Our distribution by the back four , and goalkeeper was abysmal.

They've been trained to tap it about the back four. Inclination is to hoof it. Cook wants it forward quickly on the deck. Result is a mess!!
I seem to have seen the game a bit differently to many on here on 09:57 - Mar 7 with 2734 viewsericclacton

Correct. It will take a while to develop.
I seem to have seen the game a bit differently to many on here on 11:37 - Mar 7 with 2591 viewssouthnorfolkblue

I agree with you on Matheson. The key to playing 4-2-3-1 well is having attacking FBs. When the Budgies got promoted last time around it was on the back of Lewis and Aarons bombing forwards. I would be tempted to rest Norwood and give Jackson a run out, even though playing the line striker role is not ideal

Poll: Our final position

I seem to have seen the game a bit differently to many on here on 11:50 - Mar 7 with 2544 viewsMrTown

Absolutely hold on. We have the best possible man in the hot seat, we will never get better at this level.

Let him build his team, with players he can trust.
[Post edited 7 Mar 2021 11:50]

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

I seem to have seen the game a bit differently to many on here on 11:52 - Mar 7 with 2530 viewsBugs

Up voted just for the optimism.
Login to get fewer ads

I seem to have seen the game a bit differently to many on here on 11:52 - Mar 7 with 2525 viewsDeano69

Also a clear instruction to push up the pitch when defending rather than sitting back and continually trying to absorb the pressure.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

I seem to have seen the game a bit differently to many on here on 11:53 - Mar 7 with 2521 viewsurbanblue

I seem to have seen the game a bit differently to many on here on 11:37 - Mar 7 by southnorfolkblue

I agree with you on Matheson. The key to playing 4-2-3-1 well is having attacking FBs. When the Budgies got promoted last time around it was on the back of Lewis and Aarons bombing forwards. I would be tempted to rest Norwood and give Jackson a run out, even though playing the line striker role is not ideal

Maybe have Parrot as the lone striker with Jackson playing behind him ... I could daydream about Jackson bombing through off Parrots flicks. Have we seen Parrot as an out and out striker yet? Think we did in his first game where he certainly impressed.
I seem to have seen the game a bit differently to many on here on 11:56 - Mar 7 with 2503 viewspointofblue

I seem to have seen the game a bit differently to many on here on 11:52 - Mar 7 by Deano69

Also a clear instruction to push up the pitch when defending rather than sitting back and continually trying to absorb the pressure.

Which is arguably an issue considering Chambers and Wilson are hardly known for pace whilst Nsiala loves misjudging a high ball. If we’re going to push up we probably need Matheson and Woolfenden in there.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

I seem to have seen the game a bit differently to many on here on 12:00 - Mar 7 with 2486 viewsurbanblue

I seem to have seen the game a bit differently to many on here on 11:52 - Mar 7 by Deano69

Exactly, there was a lot that was different. The question now is which players will adapt and thrive and who won't. That will probably be the basis for the decision of who stays and who goes.
I seem to have seen the game a bit differently to many on here on 12:00 - Mar 7 with 2486 viewsDeano69

I seem to have seen the game a bit differently to many on here on 11:56 - Mar 7 by pointofblue

Which is arguably an issue considering Chambers and Wilson are hardly known for pace whilst Nsiala loves misjudging a high ball. If we’re going to push up we probably need Matheson and Woolfenden in there.

And the defending intelligence to hold the line and force offside as well as feed an intercepted ball through our midfield rather than lump it out or give possession back.

Schoolboy stuff, but we are clearly lacking the basics, we got beat 3-1 by a team just doing the basics yesterday. Works at this level.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

[Redacted] on 12:18 - Mar 7 with 2426 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
I agree on the instruction from Cook to pass quicker forward to feet.... on 12:39 - Mar 7 with 2357 viewsunstableblue

... and agree it will take time for the team to go more dynamically forward, more direct, but on the floor and accurately.

But the issue was yesterday was we lost our press and movement, and as we weren’t disrupting and pressuring the Gills we put them on the front foot, and we were set deeper. Dozzell and Bishop were lethargic, too deep, and when they looked up they were disconnected from Parrot and Norwood, so we were speculative. Worse were the balls from defence, Toto was trying to go way too long. Every out best defensive attacking player at present Kenlock was relatively inaccurate.

Where we did have joy was when Bishop broke the lines; drew people on; got us edge of box pressure and free kicks.

As Cook stated we lost the battle, we were outfought, that is the minimum to win a game, win the press then start getting our game going which is interplay in midfield, overloads outwide or feeding Norwood behind.

A lot of people slating the squad. The squad is too big to train effectively... needs to be reduced. BUT games like Sunderland away this season, Hull away, we’ve won the energy battle - it can be done, it just is the Ipswich disease under Marcus, not turning up regularly enough as a team and individuals. We’ll all accept say 1 game in 5 being off colour, and that’s when you grind out a draw, stay solid. But we’ve seasons and seasons of inconsistency.

Really important that Cook can get a win and build the confidence and energy back into the team and make it the norm!!

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

I seem to have seen the game a bit differently to many on here on 12:55 - Mar 7 with 2303 viewsIllinoisblue

We were absolutely awful yesterday so I admire your optimism. No matter the manager, our players regularly manage to make football look difficult.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

I seem to have seen the game a bit differently to many on here on 16:49 - Mar 7 with 2047 viewsJ2BLUE

I don't agree that a lot of us are pessimistic. Just the small minority who want the moon on a stick get very loud and drown the rest out.

Most would agree with you.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

I seem to have seen the game a bit differently to many on here on 16:53 - Mar 7 with 2024 viewshaynes_toe1

I seem to have seen the game a bit differently to many on here on 09:11 - Mar 7 by Marshalls_Mullet

We all have to remember this club has not played 'proper football' for at least a decade.

It's going to take time.

Not according to this forum..

According to many our relegation season under Lambert was full of footballing excellence.
I seem to have seen the game a bit differently to many on here on 17:49 - Mar 7 with 1906 viewsNthQldITFC

I seem to have seen the game a bit differently to many on here on 09:11 - Mar 7 by Marshalls_Mullet

It's going to take time.

I should imagine that there's a fair bit of 'emotional' baggage in the form of engrained negativity throughout the club after what seems like about a decade of dour tactics, failure and criticism. You can see how it seems to infect new players who have come in the door full of beans, but are soon playing poorly or out injured. My guess is that that is the biggest root problem at the club; not a lack of quality players, or the injury situation.

Paul Cook looks like just the man to blow that away with his enthusiasm and man management skills, but it could take some time and some quite hard pruning to get the ITFC tree back in fine fettle.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024