Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Yesterday highlighted so much for me 03:11 - Mar 7 with 4799 viewstextbackup

a squad of players, that no matter who managers them, they are losers. we have 1/2 winners in that team that could drive a team on, but that's it. Downes and Norwood, even tho the latter often fluffs his lines, he atleast finds these positions.

4/5/6 years of consistently failing, not being up for the fight, its deeply engrained in them now. no urgency, confidence non existent. majority very quiet weak boys.

squad crying out for more battle hardened men.

edit. Freddie sears, wont ever score for us again
[Post edited 7 Mar 2021 3:15]

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Yesterday highlighted so much for me on 06:19 - Mar 7 with 4011 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Sears for the second goal was pathetic - gave it away and made no attempt to track back (was jogging).

A major issue is the lack of discipline. I’ve been saying this for as long as I can remember but I’ve never know a town team give away so many needless fouls. Dozzell, Downes, Norwood, Jackson, Edwards all do it far too often and it has to stop. We either lose all momentum when they do it or worse concede goals from them. That Dozzell tackle for the first goal yesterday was stupid and not the first time.

Don’t think we have the characters personally but very happy to be proved wrong.
Yesterday highlighted so much for me on 06:53 - Mar 7 with 3945 viewsunstableblue

Yesterday highlighted so much for me on 06:19 - Mar 7 by PrideOfTheEast

Sears for the second goal was pathetic - gave it away and made no attempt to track back (was jogging).

A major issue is the lack of discipline. I’ve been saying this for as long as I can remember but I’ve never know a town team give away so many needless fouls. Dozzell, Downes, Norwood, Jackson, Edwards all do it far too often and it has to stop. We either lose all momentum when they do it or worse concede goals from them. That Dozzell tackle for the first goal yesterday was stupid and not the first time.

Don’t think we have the characters personally but very happy to be proved wrong.

Cook highlighted the silly fouls in dangerous areas point in his post match interview.

Players try so hard not to give away corners. And yet we always giving away free kicks in areas that are more dangerous.

Have to cut it out.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Yesterday highlighted so much for me on 07:02 - Mar 7 with 3936 viewsbobbyramsey

Giving away fouls is a feeble excuse for "looking busy."
Yesterday highlighted so much for me on 07:14 - Mar 7 with 3910 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Yesterday highlighted so much for me on 07:02 - Mar 7 by bobbyramsey

Giving away fouls is a feeble excuse for "looking busy."

It is. Smacks of a bang average player, thinking they’re miles better than they are. All wave their arms about complaining about it too - the back chat to the referees etc. Puts me off watching to be honest.
Yesterday highlighted so much for me on 08:01 - Mar 7 with 3790 viewslazyblue

Yesterday highlighted so much for me on 06:19 - Mar 7 by PrideOfTheEast

I said all this yesterday on live chat as soon as Dozzell made that ridiculous challenge (which would obviously end up being a goal). We give silly unnecessary free-kicks away all over the pitch when either in good attacking positions or dangerous areas outside our own box through pure petulance and it costs us.
Yesterday highlighted so much for me on 08:40 - Mar 7 with 3664 viewsBudapestByBlimp

Yesterday highlighted so much for me on 07:14 - Mar 7 by PrideOfTheEast

It is. Smacks of a bang average player, thinking they’re miles better than they are. All wave their arms about complaining about it too - the back chat to the referees etc. Puts me off watching to be honest.

IMHO it smacks of ill discipline, bad organisation and frustration - I'm sure Cook will sort this out, he has already spoken about reducing the size of the squad as you can't coach that many players.
Yesterday highlighted so much for me on 08:46 - Mar 7 with 3634 viewsSamWhiteUK

Yesterday highlighted so much for me on 08:01 - Mar 7 by lazyblue

I said all this yesterday on live chat as soon as Dozzell made that ridiculous challenge (which would obviously end up being a goal). We give silly unnecessary free-kicks away all over the pitch when either in good attacking positions or dangerous areas outside our own box through pure petulance and it costs us.

Dozzell, for all his "amazing passing range" (where's that gone?) cannot tackle for sh*t. It's embarrassing watching him just haul down his man every time
Yesterday highlighted so much for me on 08:53 - Mar 7 with 3602 viewsBseaBlue

The one thing that gives me hope Texty is that because of the contract situation in the summer, PC will have the perfect opportunity to completely rebuild the squad. Get rid of all the deadwood you speak of and keep those that he can build a team round.

For me, it's only really Wilson, Wolfie, Downes, Bishop, Dozzell (If PC feels he can get the best from him) and Norwood out of the senior players that I would keep. A few of the youngsters such as El Miz and Dobra probably deserve another chance and the only one I would be on the edge with is maybe Judge. I think he has done enough this season to deserve another year.

The rest of them can go.
Login to get fewer ads

Yesterday highlighted so much for me on 08:54 - Mar 7 with 3598 viewswitchdoctor

Yesterday highlighted so much for me on 08:46 - Mar 7 by SamWhiteUK

Dozzell, for all his "amazing passing range" (where's that gone?) cannot tackle for sh*t. It's embarrassing watching him just haul down his man every time

he’s deffo not patch on his dad...
Yesterday highlighted so much for me on 09:04 - Mar 7 with 3546 viewsRegencyBlue

It’s what happens when you consistently sell your better players and replace them with dross. Our squad is massive but let’s be honest, it’s full of players nobody else wants!

We have players coasting to the end of their careers, sick notes who we have taken a punt on and who spend most of their time in our inadequate treatment room and players who would struggle in League 2. Add to that many of our youngsters who are nowhere near as good as many fans want to believe. There’s not much left after that.

It’s years of neglect coming home to roost!
[Post edited 7 Mar 2021 9:09]
Yesterday highlighted so much for me on 09:21 - Mar 7 with 3459 viewsChurchman

Yesterday highlighted so much for me on 08:53 - Mar 7 by BseaBlue

The one thing that gives me hope Texty is that because of the contract situation in the summer, PC will have the perfect opportunity to completely rebuild the squad. Get rid of all the deadwood you speak of and keep those that he can build a team round.

For me, it's only really Wilson, Wolfie, Downes, Bishop, Dozzell (If PC feels he can get the best from him) and Norwood out of the senior players that I would keep. A few of the youngsters such as El Miz and Dobra probably deserve another chance and the only one I would be on the edge with is maybe Judge. I think he has done enough this season to deserve another year.

The rest of them can go.

Agree with that. We are mightily short of decent players aren’t we. As for Judge, he is not the player he was but is potentially useful. It depends on his attitude, as indeed it does with a lot of them. This bothers me with Downes and if he or any player wants away, cheerio, out of the building they would immediately go.
Yesterday highlighted so much for me on 09:24 - Mar 7 with 3447 viewspointofblue

Yesterday highlighted so much for me on 09:21 - Mar 7 by Churchman

Agree with that. We are mightily short of decent players aren’t we. As for Judge, he is not the player he was but is potentially useful. It depends on his attitude, as indeed it does with a lot of them. This bothers me with Downes and if he or any player wants away, cheerio, out of the building they would immediately go.

Judge has suffered from being played out wide - when he’s in the number 10 position he’s still more than a useful player, particularly at this level.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Yesterday highlighted so much for me on 09:35 - Mar 7 with 3388 viewsvanmunt

The performance was all the more amazing as they were supposed to be performing for a new manager. Absolutely nothing to blame at Cook, this was the same team and formation from a really poor performance on Tuesday.

I agree, I listen to the home commentary on I follow hearing about our abundant talent and riches yet I watch underperforming consistent tripe. Then to add insult to injury we had a ludicrous amount of players conning a living.
Yesterday highlighted so much for me on 09:37 - Mar 7 with 3380 viewsGuthrum

And yet the preceding three games showed the opposite. Plus we fought back to an equaliser yesterday and tried to push on for the win.

I think it shows more that our confidence is quite fragile. Heads drop in the face of frustration and adversity. Even the most battle-hardened can crack surprisingly quickly when they get into that state.

But that does not necessarily mean those men have to be discarded and replaced. As long as they have the raw skill, confidence can be built and trained into the squad. Well-practiced drills allow players to comfortably act on instinct. Good leadership and encouragement mean they can play without fear. Strong guidance gives them clear direction.

McCarthy took a lot of the same players who were shambolic under Jewell and forged them into a tough unit which fought its way to safety.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Yesterday highlighted so much for me on 09:53 - Mar 7 with 3298 viewsHerbivore

Yesterday highlighted so much for me on 09:21 - Mar 7 by Churchman

The players are more than decent for this level. Bizarre that they suddenly aren't after one crap performance. Two days ago every thought we'd now piss promotion this season. This place blows in the wind like a carrier bag in a hurricane.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Yesterday highlighted so much for me on 10:10 - Mar 7 with 3257 viewspatrickswell

Yesterday highlighted so much for me on 09:53 - Mar 7 by Herbivore

The players are more than decent for this level. Bizarre that they suddenly aren't after one crap performance. Two days ago every thought we'd now piss promotion this season. This place blows in the wind like a carrier bag in a hurricane.

To be fair to the fans, I don’t think it was unfair of them to feel cheated by the performance yesterday given the form of the side coming into it and the presence of a new manager in the dugout. To produce what they did was a real kick in the guts.

It should also be said that Gillingham played very well yesterday too. Sharper than us all over the pitch.
Yesterday highlighted so much for me on 11:07 - Mar 7 with 3162 viewsLeoMuff

The rest of them can go.

The key is though if we can get bodies in the door, we have struggled with this hence the constant numbers of loanees in the squad. I still feel there’s some decent players here and with a few additions and a cull of dead wood Cook should have resources.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Yesterday highlighted so much for me on 11:21 - Mar 7 with 3110 viewsMach_foreignBlue

bUt oUr sKiPpEr iS A lEgEnd aNd a MoTiVaToR !

Sooner or later the number of players will be sulking and whinging about the Cook's methods like they did about the previous managers.

To think these wasters were clapped and cheered by SBR stand following the relegation
[Post edited 7 Mar 2021 11:23]
Yesterday highlighted so much for me on 11:33 - Mar 7 with 3052 viewssouthnorfolkblue

Yesterday highlighted so much for me on 08:46 - Mar 7 by SamWhiteUK

He’s a walking card isn’t he.

Poll: Our final position

Yesterday highlighted so much for me on 12:09 - Mar 7 with 2997 viewslongtimefan

The rest of them can go.

The thing is all those other “assets” will go without a fee. How much do you think it will take in transfer fees to acquire better replacements? And where is the money coming from? Can’t see Evans spending anywhere near the required amount and who know how much money, if any, the new consortium might make available! While I’m in no way adverse to the new consortium everyone seems to be assuming they’re going to be willing to invest more than Evans without any real evidence of that yet.
[Post edited 7 Mar 2021 12:15]
Yesterday highlighted so much for me on 12:12 - Mar 7 with 2989 viewstetchris

Thank god there are loads of players out of contract at end of the season then can have a good clear out
Yesterday highlighted so much for me on 12:16 - Mar 7 with 2972 viewsBseaBlue

Yesterday highlighted so much for me on 12:09 - Mar 7 by longtimefan

The thing is all those other “assets” will go without a fee. How much do you think it will take in transfer fees to acquire better replacements? And where is the money coming from? Can’t see Evans spending anywhere near the required amount and who know how much money, if any, the new consortium might make available! While I’m in no way adverse to the new consortium everyone seems to be assuming they’re going to be willing to invest more than Evans without any real evidence of that yet.

I would imagine a lot of clubs are in similar situations so free transfers is likely to be the biggest factor.
Yesterday highlighted so much for me on 12:20 - Mar 7 with 2960 viewsjayessess

Yesterday highlighted so much for me on 09:53 - Mar 7 by Herbivore

Right?

Particularly the whole "they're all powderpuff losers with no fight" stuff when we literally just ground out 3 narrow wins in a week against sides above us in the league, largely through graft rather than quality.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Yesterday highlighted so much for me on 12:24 - Mar 7 with 2941 viewslongtimefan

Yesterday highlighted so much for me on 12:16 - Mar 7 by BseaBlue

I would imagine a lot of clubs are in similar situations so free transfers is likely to be the biggest factor.

I doubt there’s many L1 clubs that have 20 players out of contract at the end of this season!
Yesterday highlighted so much for me on 12:28 - Mar 7 with 2934 viewsjayessess

Yesterday highlighted so much for me on 12:09 - Mar 7 by longtimefan

I think we'll be wary about "having a clean out" unless we know we can source a bunch of out-of-contract or players who'll only command a modest fee as replacements.

Our record on that front has been absolutely dire in the last few windows.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024