Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Whats at Bent Lane and whats at Playford road? 16:38 - Mar 8 with 4217 viewsnodge_blue

Playford road is where we mainly train? Thats where the dome thing is right?

So whats at Bent Lane?

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Whats at Bent Lane and whats at Playford road? on 16:39 - Mar 8 with 4041 viewsDubtractor

I think its the same place.

Just another road near/next to it.

edit: as per Sitters it is 2 plots of land, but all in the same place really.
[Post edited 8 Mar 2021 16:43]

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Whats at Bent Lane and whats at Playford road? on 16:40 - Mar 8 with 4032 viewsSitfcB

Bent Lane is opposite the ‘main’ training ground, (where the dome is and the buildings) we train on the Bent Lane pitches.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Whats at Bent Lane and whats at Playford road? on 16:41 - Mar 8 with 4002 viewsDubtractor

Whats at Bent Lane and whats at Playford road? on 16:40 - Mar 8 by SitfcB

Bent Lane is opposite the ‘main’ training ground, (where the dome is and the buildings) we train on the Bent Lane pitches.

Wasn't the Bent Lane plot owned by Suffolk College at one point? Or am I imagining it?

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.

Whats at Bent Lane and whats at Playford road? on 16:43 - Mar 8 with 3984 viewsmonty_radio

It's on the other side of Playford Rd. They have trained there in the past. Outbuildings there are primitive, but it's a big space in an area where East Suffolk CC would love to dump a few more houses onto the Ipswich edge rather than getting lobbied by Southwold/Aldeburgh/Woodbridge etc.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Whats at Bent Lane and whats at Playford road? on 16:45 - Mar 8 with 3964 viewsnodge_blue

Whats at Bent Lane and whats at Playford road? on 16:40 - Mar 8 by SitfcB

So the buildings as such are on playford road and the practise pitches are on Bent Lane? But its all really one plot rather that two distinct areas?

Thanks for the reply!

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Whats at Bent Lane and whats at Playford road? on 16:45 - Mar 8 with 3941 viewslongtimefan

Whats at Bent Lane and whats at Playford road? on 16:41 - Mar 8 by Dubtractor

Wasn't the Bent Lane plot owned by Suffolk College at one point? Or am I imagining it?

Isn’t it what used to be Cranes sports club, or am I getting mixed up?
Whats at Bent Lane and whats at Playford road? on 16:48 - Mar 8 with 3916 viewsDubtractor

Whats at Bent Lane and whats at Playford road? on 16:45 - Mar 8 by longtimefan

Possibly I lose track to be honest - I will have played at all of these places back in the 90s, but get confused which was which, and which aren't even there any more.

Whats at Bent Lane and whats at Playford road? on 16:51 - Mar 8 with 3894 viewslongtimefan

Whats at Bent Lane and whats at Playford road? on 16:48 - Mar 8 by Dubtractor

Possibly I lose track to be honest - I will have played at all of these places back in the 90s, but get confused which was which, and which aren't even there any more.

Same here. I thought I remembered playing cricket against Cranes there in the early 90s but quite possible I’ve got it confused with somewhere else
Login to get fewer ads

Whats at Bent Lane and whats at Playford road? on 17:00 - Mar 8 with 3835 viewsSteve_M

Whats at Bent Lane and whats at Playford road? on 16:48 - Mar 8 by Dubtractor

I've just been looking on Google Maps, it's changed so much since I used to cycle round there. Played football at a few of the sports grounds that way too but trying to remember where is difficult.

I feel all nostalgic now, want to go and cycle round there again.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Whats at Bent Lane and whats at Playford road? on 17:00 - Mar 8 with 3839 viewsTimefliesbyintheblue

Whats at Bent Lane and whats at Playford road? on 16:51 - Mar 8 by longtimefan

Same here. I thought I remembered playing cricket against Cranes there in the early 90s but quite possible I’ve got it confused with somewhere else

Cranes used to own the land on the left hand side of Playford Road going out of Ipswich and of course was where their sports and social club facilities were. This is where the Dome and the buildings are and the pitches where matches take place other than Portman Road. The other side of the road with entrance on Bent lane is where the practice pitches are. At one time I can remember that Fisons used to play football on this site.
Whats at Bent Lane and whats at Playford road? on 17:01 - Mar 8 with 3827 viewshype313

Whats at Bent Lane and whats at Playford road? on 16:45 - Mar 8 by longtimefan

Yep, it's on the old Cranes site, used to play lots of sport up there in the early 90's.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Whats at Bent Lane and whats at Playford road? on 17:02 - Mar 8 with 3831 viewsIllinoisblue

Broken dreams and injured players, mostly

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Whats at Bent Lane and whats at Playford road? on 17:06 - Mar 8 with 3795 viewsDubtractor

Whats at Bent Lane and whats at Playford road? on 17:00 - Mar 8 by Steve_M

I've just been looking on Google Maps, it's changed so much since I used to cycle round there. Played football at a few of the sports grounds that way too but trying to remember where is difficult.

I feel all nostalgic now, want to go and cycle round there again.

Coincidentally one of my regular cycle routes goes past the training ground - heading all the way out to Martlesham village.

One that always feel a waste is the Hollies, the old BT Sports ground, just left empty and unused for years, albeit with a handful of houses near the entrance.
[Post edited 8 Mar 2021 17:09]

Whats at Bent Lane and whats at Playford road? on 19:09 - Mar 8 with 3557 viewsSitfcB

Whats at Bent Lane and whats at Playford road? on 16:45 - Mar 8 by nodge_blue

So the buildings as such are on playford road and the practise pitches are on Bent Lane? But its all really one plot rather that two distinct areas?

Thanks for the reply!

Playford Road is the main bit and bigger with plenty of pitches also, but tend to be used by the academy and for U23 games.

Bent Lane is literally just two/three grass pitches with a blue fence round them, literally across the road from the Playford Road site, the players walk across the road to get to it.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Whats at Bent Lane and whats at Playford road? on 20:04 - Mar 8 with 3382 viewsnorth_stand77

Whats at Bent Lane and whats at Playford road? on 19:09 - Mar 8 by SitfcB

Playford Road is the main bit and bigger with plenty of pitches also, but tend to be used by the academy and for U23 games.

Bent Lane is literally just two/three grass pitches with a blue fence round them, literally across the road from the Playford Road site, the players walk across the road to get to it.

'Singed blue fence'......?
Whats at Bent Lane and whats at Playford road? on 20:23 - Mar 8 with 3297 viewslongtimefan

Whats at Bent Lane and whats at Playford road? on 17:06 - Mar 8 by Dubtractor

Coincidentally one of my regular cycle routes goes past the training ground - heading all the way out to Martlesham village.

One that always feel a waste is the Hollies, the old BT Sports ground, just left empty and unused for years, albeit with a handful of houses near the entrance.
[Post edited 8 Mar 2021 17:09]

“ One that always feel a waste is the Hollies, the old BT Sports ground, just left empty and unused for years, albeit with a handful of houses near the entrance.”

How odd. Just looked at that on Google maps. About a dozen houses where the clubhouse and car park were, but the rest of the playing areas left as fields. Another place I played a lot of cricket. Although used mainly by BT people it was actually operated by the Civil Service Sports Club. Always assumed when they shut down they would just be waiting the house building permission but assumed it would be the whole site.
[Post edited 8 Mar 2021 20:24]
Whats at Bent Lane and whats at Playford road? on 20:39 - Mar 8 with 3230 viewsfabian_illness

Quite a large chunk of the playford Rd site used to belong to Suffolk college.
There used to be an old wooden clubhouse on there and at some point Ipswich Exiles played and trained up there.
Right next door was the Willis sports ground looked after by Roger Osbourne.
Whats at Bent Lane and whats at Playford road? on 09:43 - Mar 9 with 2750 viewsHarlestonblue

Bent Lane runs from Woodbridge Road to Playford Road. When they stopped training on the practice pitch behind the Coop stand they used this site. Burley era possibly.
They then bought the old Cranes Sports Ground on Playford Road and moved most of the operation there. (as I understand it)
Google "Bent Lane" and you can see the adjacent facilities.
Prime real estate of course!! Marcus knew what he was doing (for once)
Whats at Bent Lane and whats at Playford road? on 09:46 - Mar 9 with 2740 viewsPhilTWTD

Whats at Bent Lane and whats at Playford road? on 09:43 - Mar 9 by Harlestonblue

Bent Lane runs from Woodbridge Road to Playford Road. When they stopped training on the practice pitch behind the Coop stand they used this site. Burley era possibly.
They then bought the old Cranes Sports Ground on Playford Road and moved most of the operation there. (as I understand it)
Google "Bent Lane" and you can see the adjacent facilities.
Prime real estate of course!! Marcus knew what he was doing (for once)

They still use both sides, first team usually at Bent Lane. Not much can be developed, only a small stretch between existing housing.
Whats at Bent Lane and whats at Playford road? on 10:42 - Mar 9 with 2616 viewstextbackup

Whats at Bent Lane and whats at Playford road? on 09:46 - Mar 9 by PhilTWTD

They still use both sides, first team usually at Bent Lane. Not much can be developed, only a small stretch between existing housing.

if the were to put in an access road off playford road the bent land side could be filled up with house, residents could and would kick off, but they could get plenty of house on there if they really wanted to. unless its written in stone that it cant be

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Whats at Bent Lane and whats at Playford road? on 10:47 - Mar 9 with 2593 viewsPhilTWTD

Whats at Bent Lane and whats at Playford road? on 10:42 - Mar 9 by textbackup

if the were to put in an access road off playford road the bent land side could be filled up with house, residents could and would kick off, but they could get plenty of house on there if they really wanted to. unless its written in stone that it cant be

Planning permission for the type of land is the issue.
Whats at Bent Lane and whats at Playford road? on 10:49 - Mar 9 with 2582 viewstextbackup

Whats at Bent Lane and whats at Playford road? on 10:47 - Mar 9 by PhilTWTD

yeah fair enough. they'd likely have an access road into the "estate" via playford road, and bent lane.....
reckon there are some powerful people down that road that know the right people to talk to, so guess it would fail to get the go ahead.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Whats at Bent Lane and whats at Playford road? on 11:14 - Mar 9 with 2505 viewsBlue_Order

Whats at Bent Lane and whats at Playford road? on 20:04 - Mar 8 by north_stand77

'Singed blue fence'......?

Objection!
Whats at Bent Lane and whats at Playford road? on 12:55 - Mar 9 with 2363 viewsmonty_radio

Whats at Bent Lane and whats at Playford road? on 10:47 - Mar 9 by PhilTWTD

Yet there must be a reason why (if reports are correct) M.E. wishes to retain a stake there?
If East Suffolk wanted to put an access to affordable housing there then there might be a greater chance of them giving themselves permission?

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Whats at Bent Lane and whats at Playford road? on 13:43 - Mar 9 with 2264 viewsPhilTWTD

Whats at Bent Lane and whats at Playford road? on 12:55 - Mar 9 by monty_radio

Yet there must be a reason why (if reports are correct) M.E. wishes to retain a stake there?
If East Suffolk wanted to put an access to affordable housing there then there might be a greater chance of them giving themselves permission?

There is a section which can be built on but it's only a comparatively small area, from what I've been told.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024