Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard 00:35 - Mar 10 with 12443 viewshatch

Been following this closely since she went missing near Clapham last Wednesday. They’ve just announced they’ve arrested a Met police officer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56342465

And bizarrely at the same time I was messaging my friend to say ‘what sort of person would gain trust with a woman? A police officer possibly?’ and literally 10 seconds later we saw the news break on Twitter.

Such a worrying case and the outcome doesn’t look promising but at least an arrest has been made.
Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 08:46 - Mar 12 with 928 viewsCrawfordsboot

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 07:57 - Mar 12 by The_Flashing_Smile

You and others in this thread (i.e. Blueas) ought to read this. Sums the situation up very well and has certainly made me think;

https://spilleroftea.com/2021/03/11/not-all-men-dismantling-the-pyramid/

Whilst I don’t think the particular article you reference is without flaws I accept some of its general thrust. I found the report femicidecensus.org much more informative and challenging. I have also found this discussion on here helpful.

Key points that I draw from this.

The vast majority of femicides are committed by men.
The vast majority of femicides are carried out by male partners (current or ex) or male family members.
The fear that a great many women have of being attacked on the streets is very real and damaging. However the fear of attack would appear to be out of all proportion to the likelihood of a random attack, which is very low.

The unavoidable conclusion would appear to be that dealing with domestic violence and how women can be best enabled to report and escape such a situation is critical to safeguarding women and that focussing on reclaiming the streets is perhaps the wrong priority.
Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 10:21 - Mar 12 with 864 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 08:46 - Mar 12 by Crawfordsboot

Whilst I don’t think the particular article you reference is without flaws I accept some of its general thrust. I found the report femicidecensus.org much more informative and challenging. I have also found this discussion on here helpful.

Key points that I draw from this.

The vast majority of femicides are committed by men.
The vast majority of femicides are carried out by male partners (current or ex) or male family members.
The fear that a great many women have of being attacked on the streets is very real and damaging. However the fear of attack would appear to be out of all proportion to the likelihood of a random attack, which is very low.

The unavoidable conclusion would appear to be that dealing with domestic violence and how women can be best enabled to report and escape such a situation is critical to safeguarding women and that focussing on reclaiming the streets is perhaps the wrong priority.

I respectfully disagree with your conclusion. ALL of these things are a priority, including reclaiming the streets.

It won't happen overnight, obviously, but it seems to me the best way to do it is education. Teach boys at the age of 5 to see themselves as a protector of women. Change the narrative. Over time attitudes will change - and that will cut female victims of domestic violence AS WELL AS on the streets.

You don't need to prioritise one over the other. Violence and/or intimidation against women shouldn't be acceptable anywhere.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 10:24 - Mar 12 with 850 viewsCrawfordsboot

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 10:21 - Mar 12 by The_Flashing_Smile

I respectfully disagree with your conclusion. ALL of these things are a priority, including reclaiming the streets.

It won't happen overnight, obviously, but it seems to me the best way to do it is education. Teach boys at the age of 5 to see themselves as a protector of women. Change the narrative. Over time attitudes will change - and that will cut female victims of domestic violence AS WELL AS on the streets.

You don't need to prioritise one over the other. Violence and/or intimidation against women shouldn't be acceptable anywhere.

Fair point.

I should have said - it’s wrong to present it as reclaiming the streets.
Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 10:29 - Mar 12 with 833 viewsGlasgowBlue

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 10:21 - Mar 12 by The_Flashing_Smile

Whilst I appreciate you have the very best of intentions dollers, I don’t think teaching boys to be “the protectors of women” does anything but play to age old stereotypes of inequality between men and women.

Ad I say this as somebody who still engages in outdated concepts such as insisting on paying for dinner, opening the door for an advancing lady and offering to give up a seat on a crowded tube.
[Post edited 12 Mar 2021 10:36]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 10:56 - Mar 12 with 816 viewsclive_baker

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 17:37 - Mar 11 by Charlie_pl_baxter

I agree we will never entirely stamp out violence. However it is possible to shift culture over time. Even if we could move the needle on this as a society by say 5% that would be worth the effort.

Completely. We should never let perfection be the enemy of progress.

It's like saying people will always die on our roads, so why have speed limits. Yes there's an onus on people to drive responsibly, yes there will always be people that don't and cause accidents, but surely we use technology, tacit social contracts to mitigate the risk of that in an area that simply won't ever be free from risk.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 11:11 - Mar 12 with 797 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 10:29 - Mar 12 by GlasgowBlue

Whilst I appreciate you have the very best of intentions dollers, I don’t think teaching boys to be “the protectors of women” does anything but play to age old stereotypes of inequality between men and women.

Ad I say this as somebody who still engages in outdated concepts such as insisting on paying for dinner, opening the door for an advancing lady and offering to give up a seat on a crowded tube.

I mean protectors RATHER THAN aggressors or intimidators. I don't mean protecting them in all situations wherever they go - but in a situation where a woman may feel intimidated they go into 'protector' phase... which could mean just crossing the road so they're not walking behind them... right up to LITERALLY protecting a woman under attack.

I think you've taken the word 'protector,' and my post, a little too literally. Which is fine, I should've been clearer.
[Post edited 12 Mar 2021 11:11]

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 11:17 - Mar 12 with 778 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 10:29 - Mar 12 by GlasgowBlue

To respond to your edit - I've always gone halves on a first date and say I'll pay for the second! With the missus - well it's been a while since we've been out for dinner obvs - but we generally take it in turn to pay (or she pays because she already owes me X amount).

I wouldn't give up my seat for a woman unless she's elderly or physically impaired in some way. That does seem antiquated, and a little patronising, to me.

I'd hold a door open for any advancing person, not just a woman.

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 11:24 - Mar 12 with 769 viewshatch

Going to stick my neck out here and declare frustration at the theme I'm seeing on a lot of instagram stories challenging the 'why was she walking home?' and then subsequent entitled sounding response.

It makes it sound like half of society is asking that question when I've probably seen it on Twitter twice and here once, and it's often someone ignorant that clearly doesn't understand.

This notion going around that everyone (men in particular) are challenging the idea of women walking home at night is not the problem, it shouldn't be the focus. The same points can be made about reclaim the streets without the need to exaggerate the return challenge being vocalised.

The theme of my posts through this topic is we shouldn't be doing anything to alienate men from the problem - the conversation should hone in on the proactive improvements we can all make and influence. Suggesting that men are going around saying 'she shouldn't have walked home at that time' is encouraging response of 'well I don't think that so the rest of their argument is irrelevant to me'.

May be an odd thing for me to get worked up about but I just want to see the problem tackled in the most effective way.
Login to get fewer ads

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 11:38 - Mar 12 with 749 viewsgiant_stow

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 11:24 - Mar 12 by hatch

Going to stick my neck out here and declare frustration at the theme I'm seeing on a lot of instagram stories challenging the 'why was she walking home?' and then subsequent entitled sounding response.

It makes it sound like half of society is asking that question when I've probably seen it on Twitter twice and here once, and it's often someone ignorant that clearly doesn't understand.

This notion going around that everyone (men in particular) are challenging the idea of women walking home at night is not the problem, it shouldn't be the focus. The same points can be made about reclaim the streets without the need to exaggerate the return challenge being vocalised.

The theme of my posts through this topic is we shouldn't be doing anything to alienate men from the problem - the conversation should hone in on the proactive improvements we can all make and influence. Suggesting that men are going around saying 'she shouldn't have walked home at that time' is encouraging response of 'well I don't think that so the rest of their argument is irrelevant to me'.

May be an odd thing for me to get worked up about but I just want to see the problem tackled in the most effective way.

https://news.sky.com/story/sarah-everard-green-partys-baroness-jones-suggests-6p

Sorry if this has already been posted, but seems relevant.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 11:44 - Mar 12 with 734 viewshatch

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 11:38 - Mar 12 by giant_stow

https://news.sky.com/story/sarah-everard-green-partys-baroness-jones-suggests-6p

Yes, and my sister has shared it on social media. It's just further alienating the very people we're trying to have influenced.

And if anything it is just stoking the fire of the 'All lives matter' argument (or all should be free to walk at night, male or female). Which is just a further ignorant distraction from the actual problem.
Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 11:50 - Mar 12 with 715 viewsgiant_stow

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 11:44 - Mar 12 by hatch

Yes, and my sister has shared it on social media. It's just further alienating the very people we're trying to have influenced.

And if anything it is just stoking the fire of the 'All lives matter' argument (or all should be free to walk at night, male or female). Which is just a further ignorant distraction from the actual problem.

agreed

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 12:29 - Mar 12 with 673 viewsRadlett_blue

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 15:56 - Mar 11 by Crawfordsboot

That’s a good summary Lagos.

You are right to highlight the fear element here, rather than just the reality of the numbers.

Although the fear element is massive increased by the huge media attention on fortunately rare events such as the Sarah Everard case.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 13:15 - Mar 12 with 609 viewsjeera

Not helped by trash like this over the years of course:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/news/charlotte-church-recalls-chris-moyl

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 13:23 - Mar 12 with 604 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 13:15 - Mar 12 by jeera

Not helped by trash like this over the years of course:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/news/charlotte-church-recalls-chris-moyl

Blimey. I knew about the Sun countdown but not Moyles saying that on the Radio. Nowadays he'd be fired on the spot, and rightly so.

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 13:48 - Mar 12 with 582 viewsjeera

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 13:23 - Mar 12 by The_Flashing_Smile

Blimey. I knew about the Sun countdown but not Moyles saying that on the Radio. Nowadays he'd be fired on the spot, and rightly so.

Imagine having that slug 'offering' to take your virginity.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 14:20 - Mar 12 with 556 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 13:48 - Mar 12 by jeera

Imagine having that slug 'offering' to take your virginity.

I'd rather not.

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 14:25 - Mar 12 with 545 viewsRyorry

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 11:38 - Mar 12 by giant_stow

Daft proposal, but upped your post for the further info on emergency hand signal & silent shortcut to requesting emergency help on iPhones - click on the "Simple hand signal ... " link halfway down the page -

https://news.sky.com/story/the-simple-hand-signal-that-lets-people-know-youre-in

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024