Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard 00:35 - Mar 10 with 12312 viewshatch

Been following this closely since she went missing near Clapham last Wednesday. They’ve just announced they’ve arrested a Met police officer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56342465

And bizarrely at the same time I was messaging my friend to say ‘what sort of person would gain trust with a woman? A police officer possibly?’ and literally 10 seconds later we saw the news break on Twitter.

Such a worrying case and the outcome doesn’t look promising but at least an arrest has been made.
Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 16:59 - Mar 10 with 2031 viewsGlasgowBlue

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 01:09 - Mar 10 by factual_blue

She was taking a fair old hike home on foot from the far side of Clapham Common to Brixton. Why didn't she take the tube?

You are Shaun Bailey and I claim my fiver.

Women should be able walk the streets free from harm, fear and threat.
[Post edited 10 Mar 2021 17:04]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 17:09 - Mar 10 with 2000 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 15:41 - Mar 10 by hatch

Suspect arrested on suspicion of kidnap, murder and indecent exposure now.

I think it has been a while since we've had a case like this in fairness but as someone that doesn't live too far away it has really shocked me, my partner and local friends.

Yeah same here.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 17:10 - Mar 10 with 1992 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 16:59 - Mar 10 by GlasgowBlue

I think it's a bit strong to suggest Facters is saying otherwise.

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 17:16 - Mar 10 with 1973 viewsGlasgowBlue

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 17:10 - Mar 10 by The_Flashing_Smile

I think it's a bit strong to suggest Facters is saying otherwise.

Then why on earth call into question the length of the journey taken by foot by a woman?

Would anyone question a man choosing to walk rather sit on their backside on public transport?

Iron Lion Zion

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 17:26 - Mar 10 with 1957 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 17:16 - Mar 10 by GlasgowBlue

Then why on earth call into question the length of the journey taken by foot by a woman?

Would anyone question a man choosing to walk rather sit on their backside on public transport?

I don't know, Facters will have to answer for himself. I read it simply as a long way to walk, but maybe I was being naive.

As I said above, I wouldn't let my missus walk through Clapham/Brixton on her own at night. She wouldn't want to either. That's not remotely saying anything against women being able to walk the streets free from harm, fear and threat. I think everyone on here would agree that they should be able to.

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 17:31 - Mar 10 with 1941 viewshype313

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 17:26 - Mar 10 by The_Flashing_Smile

I don't know, Facters will have to answer for himself. I read it simply as a long way to walk, but maybe I was being naive.

As I said above, I wouldn't let my missus walk through Clapham/Brixton on her own at night. She wouldn't want to either. That's not remotely saying anything against women being able to walk the streets free from harm, fear and threat. I think everyone on here would agree that they should be able to.

I wouldn't walk around Ipswich at night and I'm not a small guy, certainly not the areas like I used to.

Thank god for the bus outside Liberty's to take you to Hollywood's back in the day.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 17:33 - Mar 10 with 1932 viewsGlasgowBlue

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 17:26 - Mar 10 by The_Flashing_Smile

And as a father of three daughters, there are certain places that I wouldn't want them walking alone.

That is different than questioning why a woman was making a choice of how she was getting from A to B. It's a question that wouldn't be aimed at a man. It suggests a certain amount of blame for her fate falls on her shoulders when the blame lays entirely at the door of the person who has allegedly murdered her.

Iron Lion Zion

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 17:34 - Mar 10 with 1935 viewsLord_Lucan

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 16:59 - Mar 10 by GlasgowBlue

They should be but can't see why Factual is getting flamed a bit.

Yes everyone should be able to walk around willy nilly at all times and in all places but in the real world life isn't like that.

I would have no qualms suggesting my wife, daughter or son get a tube (or better off a cab) just for peace of mind.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Login to get fewer ads

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 17:41 - Mar 10 with 1906 viewsGlasgowBlue

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 17:34 - Mar 10 by Lord_Lucan

Yes everyone should be able to walk around willy nilly at all times and in all places but in the real world life isn't like that.

I would have no qualms suggesting my wife, daughter or son get a tube (or better off a cab) just for peace of mind.

See my reply to Dollers. I give my 18 year old girls money for a taxi or pick them up when they tell me they say they are walking home alone. We would all do that.

Showing concern for a loved one is different than questioning the decisions made by somebody who may well have been murdered. It doesn't sit right with me.

Iron Lion Zion

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 17:43 - Mar 10 with 1912 viewsbluelagos

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 17:34 - Mar 10 by Lord_Lucan

For me the reason he's getting flamed as you put it Lucan (And to be fair to Factors he hasn't doubled down) is because he asked the question "Why was she walking..." - to which the response is "Because she wanted to".

There is an implicit underlying (and unsaid) judgement imho from anyone asking that question - namely that "she shouldn't have been out walking", which is victim blaming imho.

She was out walking because she chose to be out walking. End of. There really isn't a need for anyone to ask the question. If it is no more than "interest" then it's simply a matter of waiting for it to become clearer, which it will in time.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 17:52 - Mar 10 with 1885 viewsjeera

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 17:43 - Mar 10 by bluelagos

For me the reason he's getting flamed as you put it Lucan (And to be fair to Factors he hasn't doubled down) is because he asked the question "Why was she walking..." - to which the response is "Because she wanted to".

There is an implicit underlying (and unsaid) judgement imho from anyone asking that question - namely that "she shouldn't have been out walking", which is victim blaming imho.

She was out walking because she chose to be out walking. End of. There really isn't a need for anyone to ask the question. If it is no more than "interest" then it's simply a matter of waiting for it to become clearer, which it will in time.

I would assume it was borne of frustration that the lady's demise might have been avoided.

That's not to lay blame anywhere other than with the perpetrator[s].

People should be able to walk where they like, when they like under all situations, but they can't. No need for any attempts at point-scoring..

Seems a funny angle people are taking here when they should be directing their anger at the perpetrator[s].

It's not about living in fear or anything else like it. Whether that poor lady was afraid or not to walk alone isn't relevant and it's something her family will be saying to themselves over and over whilst struggling with their loss of a loved one under the very worst of circumstances.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 17:52 - Mar 10 with 1879 viewsLord_Lucan

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 17:43 - Mar 10 by bluelagos

Yes I can understand that.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 17:55 - Mar 10 with 1876 viewsfactual_blue

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 15:41 - Mar 10 by hatch

Suspect arrested on suspicion of kidnap, murder and indecent exposure now.

I think it has been a while since we've had a case like this in fairness but as someone that doesn't live too far away it has really shocked me, my partner and local friends.

Mrs Factual & myself both think he's the boyfriend of the missing woman.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 18:02 - Mar 10 with 1866 viewsbluelagos

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 17:52 - Mar 10 by jeera

I would assume it was borne of frustration that the lady's demise might have been avoided.

That's not to lay blame anywhere other than with the perpetrator[s].

People should be able to walk where they like, when they like under all situations, but they can't. No need for any attempts at point-scoring..

Seems a funny angle people are taking here when they should be directing their anger at the perpetrator[s].

It's not about living in fear or anything else like it. Whether that poor lady was afraid or not to walk alone isn't relevant and it's something her family will be saying to themselves over and over whilst struggling with their loss of a loved one under the very worst of circumstances.

"People should be able to walk where they like, when they like under all situations, but they can't. No need for any attempts at point-scoring..."

Don't think it's about point scoring - I've got no history or strong issue with anyone on this thread. Was just pointing out why I think asking the question was at best insensitive and certainly uncalled for.

Everyone on this thread is disgusted at what appears to have happened (We don't know for sure yet). Happy to stand down - perhaps if there's any female TWTDrs on here, they can share their thoughts given it just seems to be men discussing how women may or may not feel...

(although Bankster's link gives a clear guide)

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 18:08 - Mar 10 with 1860 viewsdickie

This is such a conundrum, I'm completely against victim shaming and would campaign for/fully support Reclaim the Night but I know deep down I wouldn't be happy with my wife walking home alone at night.
Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 18:19 - Mar 10 with 1850 viewsm14_blue

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 11:26 - Mar 10 by footers

You'd have thought they'd learnt after last time.

That poor fella they harrassed. What case was that again?

Edit: Chris Jeffries and Jo Yates. But I'm certain there are more examples.
[Post edited 10 Mar 2021 11:29]

‘The Lost Honour of Christopher Jefferies’ is a phenomenal portrayal of those events.
Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 18:32 - Mar 10 with 1833 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 17:33 - Mar 10 by GlasgowBlue

And as a father of three daughters, there are certain places that I wouldn't want them walking alone.

That is different than questioning why a woman was making a choice of how she was getting from A to B. It's a question that wouldn't be aimed at a man. It suggests a certain amount of blame for her fate falls on her shoulders when the blame lays entirely at the door of the person who has allegedly murdered her.

Oh I didn't read it like that, personally. Again, I might be being naive there.

To be honest, a lot of blokes wouldn't fancy walking through certain parts of Clapham/Brixton late at night.

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 18:48 - Mar 10 with 1799 viewsJ2BLUE

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 18:08 - Mar 10 by dickie

This is such a conundrum, I'm completely against victim shaming and would campaign for/fully support Reclaim the Night but I know deep down I wouldn't be happy with my wife walking home alone at night.

This is it isn't it? People can find it offensive but fact is there are weirdos out there who would see an easy target. It's not shaming the victim, it's being aware that some humans are terrible people.

Same with men walking home alone. It only takes one person intent on doing harm.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 18:56 - Mar 10 with 1786 viewshype313

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 17:55 - Mar 10 by factual_blue

Mrs Factual & myself both think he's the boyfriend of the missing woman.

He's not, they gave the name of the boyfriend.

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 19:23 - Mar 10 with 1739 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 18:48 - Mar 10 by J2BLUE

This is it isn't it? People can find it offensive but fact is there are weirdos out there who would see an easy target. It's not shaming the victim, it's being aware that some humans are terrible people.

Same with men walking home alone. It only takes one person intent on doing harm.

Indeed. I feel a lot more confident in that regard since learning karate, but there are still places I wouldn't go late at night, such as a park not far from us that's known to be a bit stabby. It's just common sense. I still wouldn't blame any victim who got stabbed in there though.

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 19:49 - Mar 10 with 1709 viewsfactual_blue

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 18:56 - Mar 10 by hype313

He's not, they gave the name of the boyfriend.

OK.

Former boyfriend? Some sort of connection - probably 'romantic' (in the broadest sense of the word) has got to behind it.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 20:26 - Mar 10 with 1659 viewsITFC_96

Human remains now found.
Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 20:36 - Mar 10 with 1645 viewsbluelagos

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 20:26 - Mar 10 by ITFC_96

Human remains now found.

Ffs. Poor girls family must be in bits. Doesnt bear thinking about.

Lets hope they catch/charge and convict all involved asap

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 20:56 - Mar 10 with 1612 viewshype313

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 19:49 - Mar 10 by factual_blue

OK.

Former boyfriend? Some sort of connection - probably 'romantic' (in the broadest sense of the word) has got to behind it.

Given he's asked in Kent I think you're probably right, that there must be some connection between them

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 21:15 - Mar 10 with 1560 viewsRyorry

Met police officer arrested in connection with missing Sarah Everard on 09:51 - Mar 10 by bluelagos

Fear of crime is a problem when it stops you getting on with your life. And it is almost always way beyond the likelihood of anything happening.

See also old ladies being scared to walk alone when in reality the vast majority of muggings are done on young men. Same with parents not letting their kids play out, when I was a kid it was literally "Don't come back til it's dark" in the summers.

Not sure why people are so much more scared of crime than in years past, probably the way they are now more widely reported? But getting murdered/raped/abducted by a stranger is still a very rare event thankfully.
[Post edited 10 Mar 2021 9:52]

I worked in Brixton in the 1980s - involved making visits on my own to peoples' homes using combo of transport - tube/bus/walking. At the time I was in my mid to late 30s.

You were always aware of the risk of mugging. I remember once in the middle of the day walking down a residential street of terraced houses which was empty apart from me and a yoof leaning against a garden wall on same side of street. He looked up at me as I approached & I swapped my bag from left shoulder to right, hugged it close, & stepped out into road to swerve him. I'd had a very strong feeling he'd been ready to pounce, you always had to be alert & paying attention to your instincts.
[Post edited 10 Mar 2021 21:22]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024