Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cowling is worse than Evans 23:43 - Mar 31 with 2525 viewstetchris

Feel really sorry for Colchester United fans. Ridiculous decision to get rid of McGreal and hire two guys who clearly aren’t up to managing at that level. Makes Evans look like a genius
Cowling is worse than Evans on 01:07 - Apr 1 with 2378 viewshaynes_toe1

I wouldnt go that far, we swapped Mick for Hurst.
Cowling is worse than Evans on 01:43 - Apr 1 with 2352 viewsIllinoisblue

They’re almost 30million in debt. Which is incredible for a Division 4 club who pull in 3k crowds (when able).

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Cowling is worse than Evans on 06:52 - Apr 1 with 2129 viewsBlueBadger

Cowling is worse than Evans on 01:07 - Apr 1 by haynes_toe1

I wouldnt go that far, we swapped Mick for Hurst.

I think the impressive bit was when we swapped HIM for someone even worse.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Cowling is worse than Evans on 08:26 - Apr 1 with 1909 viewsSwansea_Blue

Cowling is worse than Evans on 06:52 - Apr 1 by BlueBadger

I think the impressive bit was when we swapped HIM for someone even worse.

Marcus Evans: "That's the worst appointment you'll see from me for a while".

Marcus Evans: "Hold my beer".

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Cowling is worse than Evans on 08:55 - Apr 1 with 1827 viewsbournemouthblue

Cowling is worse than Evans on 01:43 - Apr 1 by Illinoisblue

They’re almost 30million in debt. Which is incredible for a Division 4 club who pull in 3k crowds (when able).

Is any of that debt down to the building of their new stadium, didn't they upgrade or have a new training ground as well?

Letting McGreal go was certainly a strange one but as people are saying, we did swap MM for Hurst.

Given our general histories, us languishing in League One probably isn't similar to them struggling in League Two

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Cowling is worse than Evans on 08:59 - Apr 1 with 1806 viewspointofblue

Cowling is worse than Evans on 08:55 - Apr 1 by bournemouthblue

Is any of that debt down to the building of their new stadium, didn't they upgrade or have a new training ground as well?

Letting McGreal go was certainly a strange one but as people are saying, we did swap MM for Hurst.

Given our general histories, us languishing in League One probably isn't similar to them struggling in League Two

At least we’re not fearing relegation from League One... yet.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Cowling is worse than Evans on 09:35 - Apr 1 with 1726 viewsTieDyedIn95

Cowling is worse than Evans on 01:43 - Apr 1 by Illinoisblue

Isn't that as much as we owed before Evans bought us....

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

Cowling is worse than Evans on 09:41 - Apr 1 with 1713 viewsHerbivore

Cowling is worse than Evans on 08:26 - Apr 1 by Swansea_Blue

Marcus Evans: "That's the worst appointment you'll see from me for a while".

Marcus Evans: "Hold my beer".

Come on now, nobody could have predicted that Paul Lambert would be a failure here. Its not like he'd failed in every single job he'd had since managing Norwich nearly a decade ago.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

Cowling is worse than Evans on 10:13 - Apr 1 with 1650 viewschicoazul

Cowling is at least visible at the club and acts like he cares. He has also delivered anew stadium and new training facilities.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Cowling is worse than Evans on 12:47 - Apr 1 with 1535 viewsBlueBadger

Cowling is worse than Evans on 09:41 - Apr 1 by Herbivore

Come on now, nobody could have predicted that Paul Lambert would be a failure here. Its not like he'd failed in every single job he'd had since managing Norwich nearly a decade ago.

And after he started so brilliantly with all those limp defeats as well!

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Cowling is worse than Evans on 12:49 - Apr 1 with 1531 viewsBlueBadger

Cowling is worse than Evans on 10:13 - Apr 1 by chicoazul

Cowling is at least visible at the club and acts like he cares. He has also delivered anew stadium and new training facilities.

Is that the club owner's equivalent of free beer, Improved Performances and All These New Grounds to visit?

Cowling is worse than Evans on 12:55 - Apr 1 with 1515 viewsclive_baker

In its own right it was a weird decision to get rid of McGreal. He'd really relied heavily on youth and there were reasons to believe it was a squad that could've kept improving. They were very solid and had finished in the playoffs with one of the best defensive records in the division. Couple that with the fact he was a real club man there and it was just a weird decision, but then Cowling is a bit of a d1ck.

It was made weirder when they replaced him with Steve Ball. I can only assume it was a cost thing.

I actually make it a worse decision the ME because although MM had done a good job, I do think it was the natural time for him to go.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Cowling is worse than Evans on 08:59 - Apr 2 with 1370 viewsSharkey

I think Cowling is miles better than Evans. He explains everything very clearly to the fans. Occasionally he stands on the terrace at away games so that fans can talk to him direct. He clearly cares about the players he employs. He always gives great credit where it is due, and sympathetic to the problems of other small clubs. (For example, he praised the Port Vale board very highly when they basically stood aside to let the U's take the last play-off place when Covid kicked in this time last year.) His recent interview on the BBC explaining why he cut his cloth so thin this season, and saying that if it misfires and the club is relegated the fault will be entirely his, is an example of exemplary leadership.
Cowling is worse than Evans on 09:39 - Apr 2 with 1302 viewsRadlett_blue

Cowling is worse than Evans on 12:55 - Apr 1 by clive_baker

In its own right it was a weird decision to get rid of McGreal. He'd really relied heavily on youth and there were reasons to believe it was a squad that could've kept improving. They were very solid and had finished in the playoffs with one of the best defensive records in the division. Couple that with the fact he was a real club man there and it was just a weird decision, but then Cowling is a bit of a d1ck.

It was made weirder when they replaced him with Steve Ball. I can only assume it was a cost thing.

I actually make it a worse decision the ME because although MM had done a good job, I do think it was the natural time for him to go.

I can't think McGreal would have been particularly well paid & any saving would be minimal in terms of Colchester's overall finances.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Cowling is worse than Evans on 11:10 - Apr 2 with 1228 viewsSharkey

Cowling is worse than Evans on 09:39 - Apr 2 by Radlett_blue

I can't think McGreal would have been particularly well paid & any saving would be minimal in terms of Colchester's overall finances.

I agree, I doubt the saving was much, and Colchester soon brought in Hayden Mullins as assistant manager.

Going back to the previous post, John McGreal was not sacked, he left 'by mutual consent' . Of course that's often a euphemism, or just a matter of making pay-offs more civilised, but I suspect that here there was truth in it. I suspect John McGreal was wary of (and disappointed by) the down-budgeting that Cowling was recommending to get through the lockdown, and in the long term keen to be a proper manager, rather than being the first-team coach with Tony Humes as the real manager. To what extent the team is 'required' to set up in a certain way according to Humes's philosophy, making them extremely predictable, is a moot point.

By the way, if Colchester do drop out of the league, does their academy have to adjust in terms of fixtures, or even be wound down? https://www.gazette-news.co.uk/sport/19198346.colchester-united-under-18s-claim-
Cowling is worse than Evans on 12:25 - Apr 2 with 1150 viewswkj

I agree.

Cowling = Wilfully dangerous at running a football club
Marcus =Terrible at running a football club, and oblivious.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024