Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The brutal honesty of this from Cook 13:02 - Apr 1 with 2502 viewsIllinoisblue

Is refreshing to hear:

“First and foremost, when I watch any of my teams play, I always put myself in the position of a fan travelling to the game. The first thing you think when you’re travelling home is ‘did I enjoy the game?’ Well I haven’t enjoyed many games watching Ipswich, so I know exactly what our fans are going through.”

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

The brutal honesty of this from Cook on 13:04 - Apr 1 with 2436 viewsEwan_Oozami

And this:

"One things for sure I won't get to the end of the season playing 4-2-3-1 in a team that doesn't function playing that way."

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

The brutal honesty of this from Cook on 13:21 - Apr 1 with 2364 viewsIllinoisblue

The brutal honesty of this from Cook on 13:04 - Apr 1 by Ewan_Oozami

And this:

"One things for sure I won't get to the end of the season playing 4-2-3-1 in a team that doesn't function playing that way."

Indeed. Don’t have to read too far between the lines to see that Cook has walked into a car crash of a club.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

The brutal honesty of this from Cook on 13:23 - Apr 1 with 2337 viewschrismakin

The brutal honesty of this from Cook on 13:21 - Apr 1 by Illinoisblue

Indeed. Don’t have to read too far between the lines to see that Cook has walked into a car crash of a club.

“Last week informed me a lot about the club and what goes on in the club.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

The brutal honesty of this from Cook on 13:25 - Apr 1 with 2343 viewsJDB23

Have to say, despite not getting the bounce I would have hoped for under Cook, I have loved his interviews so far. Actually feels like we have a manager who knows what he is doing and is adaptable when he has to be instead of just blagging his way through life, which we have become accustomed to with previous managers.

Still don't expect anything from the group of wasters we have this season, but hoping for a good Summer.
The brutal honesty of this from Cook on 13:25 - Apr 1 with 2342 viewsStokieBlue

The brutal honesty of this from Cook on 13:04 - Apr 1 by Ewan_Oozami

And this:

Things could be a bit different if Norwood and Jackson start as a 2 tomorrow, that is a good forward line for this division.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

The brutal honesty of this from Cook on 13:27 - Apr 1 with 2317 viewshype313

The brutal honesty of this from Cook on 13:25 - Apr 1 by JDB23

Have to say, despite not getting the bounce I would have hoped for under Cook, I have loved his interviews so far. Actually feels like we have a manager who knows what he is doing and is adaptable when he has to be instead of just blagging his way through life, which we have become accustomed to with previous managers.

Still don't expect anything from the group of wasters we have this season, but hoping for a good Summer.

To be fair you could change Cook for Lambert and that post would look exactly the same as when Lambert took over.

Great to hear positive things from Cook, but once bitten twice shy and all...

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

The brutal honesty of this from Cook on 13:29 - Apr 1 with 2285 viewschrismakin

The brutal honesty of this from Cook on 13:27 - Apr 1 by hype313

To be fair you could change Cook for Lambert and that post would look exactly the same as when Lambert took over.

The shocking truth is 4 2 3 1 isnt a difficult role for a team to play. The fact the players have been woeful with it really shows the issues with the squad imo.

I dont personally see a flat 4 4 2 working over 90 minutes. Our midfield 2 will be out muscled by a 3 no doubt.

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

The brutal honesty of this from Cook on 13:31 - Apr 1 with 2264 viewsJDB23

The brutal honesty of this from Cook on 13:27 - Apr 1 by hype313

You could do, but with Lambert it was more about supporter engagement and off the field stuff. Never got the sense he actually knew what he was doing with regards to putting 11 out to play.
Login to get fewer ads

The brutal honesty of this from Cook on 13:32 - Apr 1 with 2241 viewsBlueBadger

The brutal honesty of this from Cook on 13:29 - Apr 1 by chrismakin

The shocking truth is 4 2 3 1 isnt a difficult role for a team to play. The fact the players have been woeful with it really shows the issues with the squad imo.

I dont personally see a flat 4 4 2 working over 90 minutes. Our midfield 2 will be out muscled by a 3 no doubt.

I think we *do* need a split from 4-3-3(or variants thereof) because I personally suspect that the players have had Lambert's limp interprettaion of how to play in drilled into them too much. Cook continuing to essentially play the same formation, albeit with minor tweaks just allows bad old habits to continue.

By all means revert in summer when habits have been broken and players are ready, willing and able to re-engage, but right now, it's not happening.
[Post edited 1 Apr 2021 21:31]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

The brutal honesty of this from Cook on 13:35 - Apr 1 with 2210 viewsBlueBadger

The brutal honesty of this from Cook on 13:31 - Apr 1 by JDB23

You could do, but with Lambert it was more about supporter engagement and off the field stuff. Never got the sense he actually knew what he was doing with regards to putting 11 out to play.

More specifically, it was about conning enough supporters to get behind him so he could pressurise Evans into giving him that ludicrous contract.

I am still baffled and angry about the supine way in which relegation was accepted and almost welcomed by sections of fanbase and, in all fairness, local media.

We should have in full on pitchfork and flaming torch mode after THAT spineless relegation. Instead we had talk of 'free hits' and recitals of 'Two Little Birds'.
[Post edited 1 Apr 2021 13:35]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

The brutal honesty of this from Cook on 13:36 - Apr 1 with 2200 viewsjayessess

The brutal honesty of this from Cook on 13:29 - Apr 1 by chrismakin

More or less what happened at Gillingham and Fleetwood with Parrott as 10.
We're rubbish going forward with 3 in midfield, but we're not "15 opposition shots on goal, getting stuck in our own half" rubbish.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

The brutal honesty of this from Cook on 13:55 - Apr 1 with 2131 viewshaynes_toe1

This is exactly what I've been saying Cook should have done from the start. Play a formation that suits the players and get short-term results whilst we stand have a chance of getting out of this league. Shame he's wasted 5 games.

I do wonder what all those who argued with me and said Cook was right and should stick rigidly with what he believes ready for next season now say....
The brutal honesty of this from Cook on 13:57 - Apr 1 with 2124 viewschrismakin

The brutal honesty of this from Cook on 13:55 - Apr 1 by haynes_toe1

This is exactly what I've been saying Cook should have done from the start. Play a formation that suits the players and get short-term results whilst we stand have a chance of getting out of this league. Shame he's wasted 5 games.

I do wonder what all those who argued with me and said Cook was right and should stick rigidly with what he believes ready for next season now say....

I'd say. Never has a manager gone into a club and not played their formation especially one that's worked for him.

I'd also.say you havent seen the result tomorrow yet. What will you say if we still lose.
[Post edited 1 Apr 2021 14:01]

The brutal honesty of this from Cook on 14:10 - Apr 1 with 2059 viewsJammyDodgerrr

442 just doesn't work, either though. Better to play his system IMO. We do not have the midfielders for a 442, we just don't.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

The brutal honesty of this from Cook on 14:12 - Apr 1 with 2051 viewsSwansea_Blue

The brutal honesty of this from Cook on 14:10 - Apr 1 by JammyDodgerrr

442 just doesn't work, either though. Better to play his system IMO. We do not have the midfielders for a 442, we just don't.

I think we should give 553 a go. Might stand a chance then.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The brutal honesty of this from Cook on 14:17 - Apr 1 with 2036 viewsSteve_M

The brutal honesty of this from Cook on 13:57 - Apr 1 by chrismakin

I'd say. Never has a manager gone into a club and not played their formation especially one that's worked for him.

I'd also.say you havent seen the result tomorrow yet. What will you say if we still lose.

That's utter crap. Managers have to work with what exists at a club rather than trying to shoehorn players into a system that is ineffective with the player's available.

Cook has tried that, found it doesn't work here at the moment so he will change it.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

The brutal honesty of this from Cook on 14:21 - Apr 1 with 2022 viewschrismakin

The brutal honesty of this from Cook on 14:17 - Apr 1 by Steve_M

That's utter crap. Managers have to work with what exists at a club rather than trying to shoehorn players into a system that is ineffective with the player's available.

Cook has tried that, found it doesn't work here at the moment so he will change it.

It's not crap. The point is no new manager would come in and not play his favoured 4 2 3 1 especially when under the previous manager it was 4 2 3 1.

Getting all excited about a 4 4 2 and getting all .. I told you so even before the game is played is weird. What if we lose...

The brutal honesty of this from Cook on 14:21 - Apr 1 with 2020 viewsjayessess

I'd say... our worst two performances under Cook came with Parrott and Norwood in the team and I don't see why Jackson and Norwood up front is suddenly going to transform us.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

The brutal honesty of this from Cook on 14:26 - Apr 1 with 1978 viewsKieran_Knows

... and as most have said, what formation suits these players? I honestly couldn't think of one. Don't give me all that old pony about 4-4-2 either, Lambert stumbled upon that last season by chance.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

The brutal honesty of this from Cook on 14:29 - Apr 1 with 1944 viewsSteve_M

The brutal honesty of this from Cook on 14:21 - Apr 1 by chrismakin

It's not crap. The point is no new manager would come in and not play his favoured 4 2 3 1 especially when under the previous manager it was 4 2 3 1.

Getting all excited about a 4 4 2 and getting all .. I told you so even before the game is played is weird. What if we lose...

If a system doesn't work and a manager keeps playing it that does not reflect well on him. I've made no comment on 4-4-2 in this thread, that's not a panacea either, but a much narrower point.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

The brutal honesty of this from Cook on 14:32 - Apr 1 with 1922 viewsKieran_Knows

The brutal honesty of this from Cook on 14:29 - Apr 1 by Steve_M

If a system doesn't work and a manager keeps playing it that does not reflect well on him. I've made no comment on 4-4-2 in this thread, that's not a panacea either, but a much narrower point.

.... although it's been a system that's worked for him at every club he's been at?

I appreciate it's not quite worked here, but rather than messing around trying to find a formation that does suit us, why wouldn't he want to try implement his methods with these players.

What I took from that interview was simply 'these players are sh*t, I'll now do what I can with what I've got, but once the summer comes, they're all pretty much out'.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

The brutal honesty of this from Cook on 14:34 - Apr 1 with 1905 viewschrismakin

The brutal honesty of this from Cook on 14:32 - Apr 1 by Kieran_Knows

.... although it's been a system that's worked for him at every club he's been at?

I appreciate it's not quite worked here, but rather than messing around trying to find a formation that does suit us, why wouldn't he want to try implement his methods with these players.

What I took from that interview was simply 'these players are sh*t, I'll now do what I can with what I've got, but once the summer comes, they're all pretty much out'.

I did really seem like that didnt it especially no new deals until after the 10 games etc. Learnt alot about the club last week etc.

The brutal honesty of this from Cook on 18:29 - Apr 2 with 1573 viewshaynes_toe1

The brutal honesty of this from Cook on 13:57 - Apr 1 by chrismakin

So, we did win...
The brutal honesty of this from Cook on 18:32 - Apr 2 with 1529 viewschrismakin

The brutal honesty of this from Cook on 18:29 - Apr 2 by haynes_toe1

So, we did win...

I wouldn't take any pleasure from that lol.

I really hope we dont play that formation again.

A better side would have killed us today I think. Monday we will prob go up against a 3 man backline now which will hurt our midfield just like Bristol did.
[Post edited 2 Apr 2021 18:37]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024