Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Covid-19 - what happens next? 16:55 - Apr 4 with 1502 viewsDubtractor

I've sort of stopped paying attention to the news and stats on this in recent months, I guess I've become a little disinterested/bored for whatever reason, inexcusable as that is.

Anyway, just looking at the current numbers for cases/hospitalisations/deaths and they are all looking as good as they have for a long time. I'm slightly surprised given the number of cases that I'm aware of since schools reopened, but regardless this is good news.

On the one hand, I'm thinking that as we head into warmer weather we must surely be heading into much better times, but then I remember that the first peak last year was starting just about now.

Are we confident that the worst is behind us now, helped by a huge number of more vulnerable people getting their vaccinations, and that a relatively normal Summer awaits us? Or are the numbers artificially deflated due to the extended lockdown (Schools aside) and another peak is likely after measures are relaxed a bit further in the coming weeks?

Obviously I'm not expecting anyone to have definitive answers to any of this, but I'd be interested to hear the views of anyone paying more attention than I have over the last few months - which is probably most of you!

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Covid-19 - what happens next? on 17:00 - Apr 4 with 1469 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I would suspect the impact of relaxed restrictions and Easter with the bank holidays and all will become apparent in around 2 weeks or so. It should be noted that France has just entered another lockdown. In my view, continue to follow all the regulations and on top of that take whatever extra precautions you are able to reasonably take. Beyond that, time will tell. However, we can all only do what we individually can do and keep as many others safe as we can.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Covid-19 - what happens next? on 17:03 - Apr 4 with 1456 viewspistonbroke

Personally I think it’s time to get everyone vaccinated then let life get back to normal , yes Covid will still be around but you can’t let your life be controlled by a virus , once everyone’s been vaccinated
Covid-19 - what happens next? on 17:34 - Apr 4 with 1396 viewsZXBlue

Covid-19 - what happens next? on 17:00 - Apr 4 by Nthsuffolkblue

I would suspect the impact of relaxed restrictions and Easter with the bank holidays and all will become apparent in around 2 weeks or so. It should be noted that France has just entered another lockdown. In my view, continue to follow all the regulations and on top of that take whatever extra precautions you are able to reasonably take. Beyond that, time will tell. However, we can all only do what we individually can do and keep as many others safe as we can.

True to an extent, but there are large numbers vaccinated now, which should have a massive effect in depressing spread and numbers.
Covid-19 - what happens next? on 17:55 - Apr 4 with 1358 viewsfactual_blue

Have you seen 28 Days Later?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Covid-19 - what happens next? on 18:17 - Apr 4 with 1327 views26_Paz

Nothing in the figures to suggest the ‘roadmap’ can not continue as planned.

The Paz Man

Covid-19 - what happens next? on 18:25 - Apr 4 with 1313 viewsdickie

Covid-19 - what happens next? on 17:03 - Apr 4 by pistonbroke

Personally I think it’s time to get everyone vaccinated then let life get back to normal , yes Covid will still be around but you can’t let your life be controlled by a virus , once everyone’s been vaccinated

Personally I'd rather be somewhat cautious in case the vaccinations don't stop people spreading it and large numbers are still dying
Covid-19 - what happens next? on 07:18 - Apr 5 with 1143 viewsBluefish

There hasn't been a single case in the 4 schools where I love since they returned even with the regular testing

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Covid-19 - what happens next? on 07:24 - Apr 5 with 1140 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Covid-19 - what happens next? on 07:18 - Apr 5 by Bluefish

There hasn't been a single case in the 4 schools where I love since they returned even with the regular testing

Player!! Staff I hope.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Login to get fewer ads

Covid-19 - what happens next? on 07:25 - Apr 5 with 1140 viewsZXBlue

Covid-19 - what happens next? on 18:25 - Apr 4 by dickie

Personally I'd rather be somewhat cautious in case the vaccinations don't stop people spreading it and large numbers are still dying

By definition the numbers will be less than half what they otherwise would be, because have have had vaccinations and a chunk of the rest have alredy had it. Of the remainder, a good chunk are children who generally don't suffer badly.That does leave a vulnerable group of chubby 30 to 50s. Though the evidence so far is that there is a god impact on transmission.
Covid-19 - what happens next? on 07:34 - Apr 5 with 1106 viewsBluefish

Covid-19 - what happens next? on 07:24 - Apr 5 by BanksterDebtSlave

Player!! Staff I hope.

Awkward typo or confession. To be fair I am in love with the history teacher at one of them

Covid-19 - what happens next? on 08:17 - Apr 5 with 1067 viewsTractorWood

Covid-19 - what happens next? on 17:03 - Apr 4 by pistonbroke

We've efficiently vaccinated based on risk. There are surely now a few people to jab between 35-50 and that's about it.

Tests are at an all time high and positive results as a % of testing are trivial. We also now have a decent percentage of vaccination to stop transmission and hospitalitions in the most at risk groups.

I think international travel protocol is important to establish but the domestic passports is a totally unnecessary storm in a tea cup. To me we just need to vaccinate everyone and crack on with our lives.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Covid-19 - what happens next? on 08:54 - Apr 5 with 1015 viewsJakeITFC

This weekend has seemingly been a bit of a free for all so if we get through the next two weeks without a big turnaround in cases, hospitalisations and deaths then it’s full steam ahead as far as I’m concerned.

International travel would be a nice to have for this summer but I think it’s a fair sacrifice to make to protect the good work done here on the vaccine rollout if that’s what is needed.
Covid-19 - what happens next? on 08:54 - Apr 5 with 1014 viewsWeWereZombies

Covid-19 - what happens next? on 08:17 - Apr 5 by TractorWood

We've efficiently vaccinated based on risk. There are surely now a few people to jab between 35-50 and that's about it.

Tests are at an all time high and positive results as a % of testing are trivial. We also now have a decent percentage of vaccination to stop transmission and hospitalitions in the most at risk groups.

I think international travel protocol is important to establish but the domestic passports is a totally unnecessary storm in a tea cup. To me we just need to vaccinate everyone and crack on with our lives.

We are not yet in a position to fully assess the effectiveness of the vaccinations, that will become more apparent as lock downs ease. Given that new strains of Covid will probably develop, some of which may needs new vaccines to counteract their effects, then I am with dickie on proceeding with caution. And with looking long and hard at the way we used to live and assessing that too for sustainability.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Covid-19 - what happens next? on 09:02 - Apr 5 with 996 viewshype313

Covid-19 - what happens next? on 08:54 - Apr 5 by JakeITFC

This weekend has seemingly been a bit of a free for all so if we get through the next two weeks without a big turnaround in cases, hospitalisations and deaths then it’s full steam ahead as far as I’m concerned.

International travel would be a nice to have for this summer but I think it’s a fair sacrifice to make to protect the good work done here on the vaccine rollout if that’s what is needed.

I personally think the traffic light system for travel is a sensible approach, the last thing we want is millions of us descending on other countries where the vaccination rate has been woeful, thus enabling potential new variants etc.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Covid-19 - what happens next? on 09:13 - Apr 5 with 965 viewsPinewoodblue

Covid-19 - what happens next? on 08:17 - Apr 5 by TractorWood

I suspect almost non-existent travel to and from the UK has had as big an impact as the differences in the rate of vaccination.

Not seen anyone publish an analysis of the differences between Northern Ireland and the Republic would be an interesting read.

A note of caution, for those who look forward to european travels, it is likely that the number of deaths in Europe will exceed 1,000,000 by the end of the month.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Covid-19 - what happens next? on 11:11 - Apr 5 with 869 viewspointofblue

Covid-19 - what happens next? on 09:02 - Apr 5 by hype313

I personally think the traffic light system for travel is a sensible approach, the last thing we want is millions of us descending on other countries where the vaccination rate has been woeful, thus enabling potential new variants etc.

International travel should be banned until vaccination programmes improve. What’s the point of us getting into a good place with our vaccination programme then letting a vaccine-resistant mutation in via the back door?

That way things can slowly continue to open up here to an extent that money which would have been spent on furlough etc. can be moved to effective sick pay and the travel industry.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Covid-19 - what happens next? on 13:43 - Apr 5 with 806 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Covid-19 - what happens next? on 07:18 - Apr 5 by Bluefish

That's interesting.

How do you know this since I work in a school and am not sure I am aware of all cases (I have been made aware of cases that have not been announced to staff)?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Covid-19 - what happens next? on 15:14 - Apr 5 with 725 viewsBluefish

Covid-19 - what happens next? on 13:43 - Apr 5 by Nthsuffolkblue

That's interesting.

How do you know this since I work in a school and am not sure I am aware of all cases (I have been made aware of cases that have not been announced to staff)?

It gets reported to me as chair of governors

Covid-19 - what happens next? on 11:13 - Apr 6 with 628 viewsWeWereZombies

Covid-19 - what happens next? on 09:13 - Apr 5 by Pinewoodblue

I suspect almost non-existent travel to and from the UK has had as big an impact as the differences in the rate of vaccination.

Not seen anyone publish an analysis of the differences between Northern Ireland and the Republic would be an interesting read.

A note of caution, for those who look forward to european travels, it is likely that the number of deaths in Europe will exceed 1,000,000 by the end of the month.

Republic of Ireland - Cases to date 238,466 https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
Northern Ireland - Cases to date 117,587+ https://www.ulster.ac.uk/coronavirus/research/impact/ni-covid-19-tracker

Republic of Ireland - Deaths to date 4,718 https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus
Northern Ireland - Deaths to date 2,118 https://github.com/CSSEGISandData/COVID-19

Republic of Ireland - Cases per million of population 47,888 https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus
Northern Ireland - Cases per million of population 62,094 (my calculation using above John Hopkins data and 2019 population estimate from Wikipedia)

Republic of Ireland - Deaths per million of population 947 https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus
Northern Ireland - Deaths per million of population 1,118 (my calculation using above John Hopkins data and 2019 population estimate from Wikipedia)

Republic of Ireland - Tests per million of population 815,536 https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus
Northern Ireland - Tests per million of population 469,959 (my calculation using Ulster University data and 2019 population estimate from Wikipedia)

Republic of Ireland - Vaccinations to date (first dose) 655,292 (13.27% of population) https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-19-vaccine-tracker-what-s-available
Northern Ireland - Vaccinations to date (first dose) 943,750 (49.84% of population) https://covid-19.hscni.net/ni-covid-19-vaccinations-dashboard/

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024