Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
summer 13:47 - Apr 8 with 5622 viewsHarryB

Phil what kind of summer are we looking at? will it be more free transfers or can we expect some money to buy better players. obviously they are not going to throw loads of money at it but will any be given to cook in the summer?
summer on 13:49 - Apr 8 with 5202 viewsJ2BLUE

I doubt we'll be spending massive fees but I think there'll be more than enough for Cook to get us up.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

summer on 13:53 - Apr 8 with 5153 viewsGavTWTD

I wouldn't be surprised to see a substantial sum spent on a striker in the summer.

Sausages.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

summer on 13:53 - Apr 8 with 5136 viewsreusersfreekicks

Bit warmer than last year?
That was quite good for you. (n/t) on 13:53 - Apr 8 with 5126 viewsBloots

summer on 13:53 - Apr 8 by GavTWTD

I wouldn't be surprised to see a substantial sum spent on a striker in the summer.

Sausages.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

summer on 13:53 - Apr 8 with 5131 viewsabracaDOBRA_

When asked about how much they are willing to spend, Mark said 'I can't tell you that as it will ruin negotiations to buy players'

So yes, I'm sure we'll be buying players. But I doubt it will be bucket loads.

I'd hope we'd have the best funds in the league though, depending on who comes down of course.

The drive for data driven recruitment is interesting, hoping we can unearth some gems.
summer on 13:54 - Apr 8 with 5099 viewsHarryB

summer on 13:53 - Apr 8 by abracaDOBRA_

When asked about how much they are willing to spend, Mark said 'I can't tell you that as it will ruin negotiations to buy players'

So yes, I'm sure we'll be buying players. But I doubt it will be bucket loads.

I'd hope we'd have the best funds in the league though, depending on who comes down of course.

The drive for data driven recruitment is interesting, hoping we can unearth some gems.

yeah find another mings etc
summer on 14:00 - Apr 8 with 5048 viewsPhilTWTD

I still think there'll be some free transfers simply as that will be the main market at this level. Equally, PC will now have greater scope for picking up the division's better players, maybe some prepared to drop down from the Championship etc. That's assuming we're in League One.
summer on 14:03 - Apr 8 with 4951 viewssaffers12

summer on 14:00 - Apr 8 by PhilTWTD

I still think there'll be some free transfers simply as that will be the main market at this level. Equally, PC will now have greater scope for picking up the division's better players, maybe some prepared to drop down from the Championship etc. That's assuming we're in League One.

It is not a big assumption to make
Login to get fewer ads

summer on 14:12 - Apr 8 with 4874 viewsmojo

Hopefully there will be the funds to bring one or two players like a Clarke-Harris type who cost Posh, £700k was it. Players with resale value. Failing that, then I'm sure we would be fine with some carefully selected out of contract players.
summer on 14:14 - Apr 8 with 4856 viewsMattinLondon

You think we could well get involved in a relegation fight?
summer on 15:21 - Apr 8 with 4669 viewsfloridaboy

Also with so many out of contract and it does seem that PC will have a bit of a clearout, surely that will release a fair bit of money re wages.

Lets be honest not many of that current squad justify being here next season. Those who are out of contract are not exactly busting a gut to earn a new one or even a extension for those with the 12 month option.
summer on 15:23 - Apr 8 with 4646 viewschrismakin

summer on 13:49 - Apr 8 by J2BLUE

I doubt we'll be spending massive fees but I think there'll be more than enough for Cook to get us up.

I'd rather see some well researched freebies.

Save as much funds as poss for championship promotion push.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

summer on 15:28 - Apr 8 with 4617 viewsPhilTWTD

summer on 15:21 - Apr 8 by floridaboy

Also with so many out of contract and it does seem that PC will have a bit of a clearout, surely that will release a fair bit of money re wages.

Lets be honest not many of that current squad justify being here next season. Those who are out of contract are not exactly busting a gut to earn a new one or even a extension for those with the 12 month option.

Indeed, and the squad will be much smaller. It was something like 53 players until the release of some of the younger ones. Probably will be nearer 35 including fringe youngsters.
summer on 15:30 - Apr 8 with 4590 viewschrismakin

summer on 15:28 - Apr 8 by PhilTWTD

Indeed, and the squad will be much smaller. It was something like 53 players until the release of some of the younger ones. Probably will be nearer 35 including fringe youngsters.

Think if remembered correctly PC likes a first teams quad of about 22/23 players. Then lean in u23. U18 if needed.

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

summer on 15:36 - Apr 8 with 4563 viewsPJH

A certain previous manager looked at picking up the better players at this level and that is probably the main reason that we are at this level now.
summer on 15:39 - Apr 8 with 4531 viewsPhilTWTD

summer on 15:30 - Apr 8 by chrismakin

Think if remembered correctly PC likes a first teams quad of about 22/23 players. Then lean in u23. U18 if needed.

Yes, a senior squad of that sort of number augmented by the U23s is where it will be.
summer on 15:40 - Apr 8 with 4506 viewsPhilTWTD

summer on 15:36 - Apr 8 by PJH

A certain previous manager looked at picking up the better players at this level and that is probably the main reason that we are at this level now.

That was to play them at a higher level. Picking up the better players at this level who are available, as well as persuading a few to drop down, ought to give us the sort of squad we need.
summer on 15:42 - Apr 8 with 4484 viewsjayessess

Equally, quite a lot of the current standout performers in the Championship were, once-upon-a-time, League One players.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

summer on 15:43 - Apr 8 with 4467 viewstractorboy1978

summer on 14:12 - Apr 8 by mojo

Hopefully there will be the funds to bring one or two players like a Clarke-Harris type who cost Posh, £700k was it. Players with resale value. Failing that, then I'm sure we would be fine with some carefully selected out of contract players.

Recruitment will be very much with an eye on players that can step up I am sure. You are looking at players in that 21-26 bracket mainly I would think - obviously augmented by some nous and experience.
summer on 15:44 - Apr 8 with 4455 viewschrismakin

Asking Jackson etc to beat the likes of Leeds. Norwich etc when they struggle to beat Rochdale. It's understandable why we got relegated.

summer on 15:45 - Apr 8 with 4441 viewsPJH

summer on 15:40 - Apr 8 by PhilTWTD

That was to play them at a higher level. Picking up the better players at this level who are available, as well as persuading a few to drop down, ought to give us the sort of squad we need.

That is true although I would assume that any we sign would also be in the belief that they could play at a higher level.
summer on 15:52 - Apr 8 with 4357 viewsKropotkin123

Conversely, Burley picked up Matt Holland at this level and he went on to play international football. MM bought in Ming's from an even lower level. It is more about the player in question than the level they are at.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

summer on 15:54 - Apr 8 with 4322 viewsPhilTWTD

summer on 15:45 - Apr 8 by PJH

That is true although I would assume that any we sign would also be in the belief that they could play at a higher level.

You'd hope so to some degree, but most good enough to play higher will get picked up by clubs at that level.
summer on 15:58 - Apr 8 with 4277 viewsjayessess

summer on 15:44 - Apr 8 by chrismakin

Asking Jackson etc to beat the likes of Leeds. Norwich etc when they struggle to beat Rochdale. It's understandable why we got relegated.

Not many of our 2018 purchases really fit the criteria of "better players in L1" really.

Donacien, Roberts and Jackson were all signed from League 2.
Harrison and Edwards' were League 1, but weren't amongst the better players in the league.
You could make a case for Nolan and Nsiala, perhaps?

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

summer on 15:58 - Apr 8 with 4268 viewschrismakin

Theres 2 promising players at colchester. Cant think of their names... but hopefully we are looking at them.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024