Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
FAO TWTD gardeners 16:52 - Apr 8 with 1376 viewsDubtractor

Is it just me, or has 2021 been unusually dry so far?

The lawn is already starting to struggle when it should be growing like mad, and I've needed to water anything outside in pots. Pretty much unheard of in April I'd have thought?

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

FAO TWTD gardeners on 16:54 - Apr 8 with 1356 viewsMullet

Yeah, a few of my herb seedlings have died which is very annoying. Lots of dew making me thinking it was wet enough but seems not.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

FAO TWTD gardeners on 17:08 - Apr 8 with 1322 viewsjeera

FAO TWTD gardeners on 16:54 - Apr 8 by Mullet

Yeah, a few of my herb seedlings have died which is very annoying. Lots of dew making me thinking it was wet enough but seems not.

Too cold for starting off seedlings.

As for watering, it's a fine line isn't it Dubs, to get right atm?

If the temperature drops drastically overnight and you've soaked something then you'll kill the thing.

Little drop here and there as things stand I s'pose.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

FAO TWTD gardeners on 17:13 - Apr 8 with 1313 viewsDubtractor

FAO TWTD gardeners on 17:08 - Apr 8 by jeera

If the temperature drops drastically overnight and you've soaked something then you'll kill the thing.

Yeah, this recent bout of freezing temperatures isn't helping either is it?

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.

FAO TWTD gardeners on 17:15 - Apr 8 with 1303 viewschicoazul

I always water everything in pots anyway as a pot has a small radius and the resident won’t get run off from elsewhere. But yes it has been a bit dry this year.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

FAO TWTD gardeners on 17:18 - Apr 8 with 1295 viewsjeera

FAO TWTD gardeners on 17:13 - Apr 8 by Dubtractor

Yeah, this recent bout of freezing temperatures isn't helping either is it?

I'm always keen to get things started off this time of year, but in truth anything planted in the middle of May soon catches up with anything else anyway, because the conditions are right.

Best get things ready but hold off planting until success is [relatively!] guaranteed I find.

I've received a letter today for a hernia op at the end of this month so I'll not be lifting much for a little while after that. Bloody timing that is.

FAO TWTD gardeners on 17:36 - Apr 8 with 1276 viewsRyorry

FAO TWTD gardeners on 17:18 - Apr 8 by jeera

I'm always keen to get things started off this time of year, but in truth anything planted in the middle of May soon catches up with anything else anyway, because the conditions are right.

Best get things ready but hold off planting until success is [relatively!] guaranteed I find.

I've received a letter today for a hernia op at the end of this month so I'll not be lifting much for a little while after that. Bloody timing that is.

That's very good advice - accords with what my late Mum (virtually a pro standard gardener) always said re soil temps & that things planted in May soon catch up.

G'luck with the op (despite the timing!) 👍

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

FAO TWTD gardeners on 17:41 - Apr 8 with 1259 viewsMullet

FAO TWTD gardeners on 17:08 - Apr 8 by jeera

Basically dropped the night I put them in!

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

FAO TWTD gardeners on 17:44 - Apr 8 with 1256 viewsRyorry

There's in effect been a drought here in N. Yorks for nearly 4 weeks now - only a couple of light showers today & a very light snow shower on both Mon & Tues in all that time.

On BH Monday I had the rare experience of having to water my shrubs & plants in dried out pots, while there was a dusting of snow on the ground!

Login to get fewer ads

FAO TWTD gardeners on 17:54 - Apr 8 with 1237 viewsjeera

FAO TWTD gardeners on 17:41 - Apr 8 by Mullet

Basically dropped the night I put them in!

Happens to the best of us.

FAO TWTD gardeners on 18:02 - Apr 8 with 1218 viewsDubtractor

FAO TWTD gardeners on 17:18 - Apr 8 by jeera

Having had a hernia op myself in about 2003, my advice would be to really let it heal properly before trying to do any heavy lifting.

I didn't, because I'm a bloody bloke, and as a result it took ages before it properly healed.

FAO TWTD gardeners on 18:05 - Apr 8 with 1210 viewsjeera

FAO TWTD gardeners on 18:02 - Apr 8 by Dubtractor

Having had a hernia op myself in about 2003, my advice would be to really let it heal properly before trying to do any heavy lifting.

I didn't, because I'm a bloody bloke, and as a result it took ages before it properly healed.

This is my third one Dubs, all caused by another deeper complaint which I shan't bore you with.

Yes I know what you mean about trying too much too soon and it really can backfire.

I shall make sure I've got things in place beforehand and have collared a neighbour to splash the hosepipe around for me for at least the first week.

I'm sure I'll be able to cope with that afterwards.

FAO TWTD gardeners on 18:09 - Apr 8 with 1204 viewsGeoffSentence

It has been a bit on the dry side, January was about half the monthly average in Ipswich, February and March were slightly below average. There has barely been a drop so far in April, which is surprisingly the driest month of the year in Ipswich, but there is some forecast over the next week or so.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

FAO TWTD gardeners on 18:18 - Apr 8 with 1190 viewsfactual_blue

FAO TWTD gardeners on 17:44 - Apr 8 by Ryorry

There's in effect been a drought here in N. Yorks for nearly 4 weeks now - only a couple of light showers today & a very light snow shower on both Mon & Tues in all that time.

On BH Monday I had the rare experience of having to water my shrubs & plants in dried out pots, while there was a dusting of snow on the ground!

As it's yorkshire it will be the best drought in the world.

If trump were a county, he'd be yorkshire.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

FAO TWTD gardeners on 18:19 - Apr 8 with 1189 viewsfactual_blue

FAO TWTD gardeners on 16:54 - Apr 8 by Mullet

Surely your 'herb seedling' are growing hydroponically in your attic, using next door's electricity.

#lifeinmanchester

FAO TWTD gardeners on 18:50 - Apr 8 with 1141 viewsmonytowbray

I've been doing a heavy water every other day but by butt ran out 2 weeks ago, not had a fresh drop go in it for 3-4 weeks now.

Also, as a 33 year old do I now get the title of youngest TWTDer to start talking about their own water butt?

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

FAO TWTD gardeners on 19:06 - Apr 8 with 1088 viewsBlueForYou

I wouldnt say it has been particularly dry, it certainly feels like it has been a very wet & cold winter. Its dried up in the last fortnight. As for May planting, thats fine for bedding plants but shrubs & trees can be planted at any time & they tend to bed in well with winter planting. Lets hope it warms up a bit.
FAO TWTD gardeners on 19:18 - Apr 8 with 1065 viewsfactual_blue

FAO TWTD gardeners on 18:50 - Apr 8 by monytowbray

I've been doing a heavy water every other day but by butt ran out 2 weeks ago, not had a fresh drop go in it for 3-4 weeks now.

Also, as a 33 year old do I now get the title of youngest TWTDer to start talking about their own water butt?

What are your views on village greens?

FAO TWTD gardeners on 19:22 - Apr 8 with 1057 viewsfooters

FAO TWTD gardeners on 18:19 - Apr 8 by factual_blue

Surely your 'herb seedling' are growing hydroponically in your attic, using next door's electricity.

#lifeinmanchester

You don't nick next door's supply, silly sausage - you bridge the meter in your own property to bypass it and avoid detection.

Or so I am told.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

FAO TWTD gardeners on 19:29 - Apr 8 with 1040 viewsWD19

I have been doing an awful lot of walking recently, and have only been inconvenienced by rain on one day in the past 2 months. That has got to be unusual for the time of year.
FAO TWTD gardeners on 19:49 - Apr 8 with 1018 viewsCharlie_pl_baxter

Yep same here, just popped out to water it, thanks for the prompt!

Poll: We recruit two strikers, one has to be Bonne or Wickham, who would you have?

FAO TWTD gardeners on 20:02 - Apr 8 with 1004 viewsReuser_is_God

Shouldn’t worry, fair bit of rain on its way over the next few days.

A bit annoying as I’m suppose to have some friends over Saturday night however my newly laid turf will benefit hugely.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

FAO TWTD gardeners on 22:50 - Apr 8 with 951 viewsVic

Where I’m living (north Suffolk) it’s been the wettest winter for 30 odd years. Only stopped rating a couple of weeks ago.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

FAO TWTD gardeners on 23:36 - Apr 8 with 922 viewsRyorry

FAO TWTD gardeners on 18:50 - Apr 8 by monytowbray

While your butt is out is the best chance to give it a good clean, paying particular attention to scrubbing out the cracks and any vegetation that might be starting to sprout there

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024