Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) 12:09 - Apr 9 with 11626 viewsArnieM

This post has been edited by an administrator

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

A very reasoned post..... on 12:36 - Apr 10 with 981 viewsDubtractor

A very reasoned post..... on 10:54 - Apr 10 by lowhouseblue

spot on. as some may have noticed corbyn is not my favourite, but i wouldn't post negative stuff as soon as he died. it's basic empathy and not using someone's death just to repeat your standard political schtick.

also when someone dies who has been prominent in public life for such an incredibly long period it's an opportunity to reflect on recent history. it's an insight into how much has changed. so the media coverage is way over the top but it is very interesting to try and put his life in context and see how we have got to where we are, if just you pause for a minute.

I don't have any issue with, for example bbc1 and radio 4 having wall to wall coverage for a day or two. But all bbc output has been put on hold - 6 music seem to have allowed djs today, but almost no speaking, and sombre music only.

Its all a bit ott, in my humble opinion. Those that want to mourn should be able to do so, but it feels a bit like it is obligatory across all bbc platforms.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Your second best post.... on 12:40 - Apr 10 with 964 viewsLord_Lucan

Your second best post.... on 12:23 - Apr 10 by Bloots

...in the last 24 hours.

Mmm

I'll have to look back, I had a couple of bottles of red last night.

Oi Dubby - I just saw your post. Chill out, you don't have to watch mainstream TV. I agree that there is no need for blanket coverage on all channels but 1st world problems man! Put netflix on or get in the garden baby.

No one moaned about blanket coverage when The Bowie died.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

A very reasoned post..... on 12:40 - Apr 10 with 968 viewsvapour_trail

A very reasoned post..... on 12:36 - Apr 10 by Dubtractor

I don't have any issue with, for example bbc1 and radio 4 having wall to wall coverage for a day or two. But all bbc output has been put on hold - 6 music seem to have allowed djs today, but almost no speaking, and sombre music only.

Its all a bit ott, in my humble opinion. Those that want to mourn should be able to do so, but it feels a bit like it is obligatory across all bbc platforms.

Radio 1 (in my daughters room, for the record) and 4 are back to normal.

Which suggests a management decision at 6. Which is weird.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Your second best post.... on 12:42 - Apr 10 with 967 viewsDubtractor

Your second best post.... on 12:40 - Apr 10 by Lord_Lucan

Mmm

Oi Dubby - I just saw your post. Chill out, you don't have to watch mainstream TV. I agree that there is no need for blanket coverage on all channels but 1st world problems man! Put netflix on or get in the garden baby.

Ha. I'm bemused rather than angry in any way.

Though I was pretty cross that bbc cancelled the top of the pops reruns last night!

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.

Your second best post.... on 12:45 - Apr 10 with 946 viewsvapour_trail

Your second best post.... on 12:40 - Apr 10 by Lord_Lucan

Mmm

Netflix, you say.

May I recommend The Crown.

Your second best post.... on 12:51 - Apr 10 with 917 viewsLord_Lucan

Your second best post.... on 12:42 - Apr 10 by Dubtractor

Ha. I'm bemused rather than angry in any way.

Though I was pretty cross that bbc cancelled the top of the pops reruns last night!

I haven't seen any coverage as I've been in my Norwich Man Cave since Wednesday, mainly listening to The Blockheads.

I did though ask @MrsLucan to tape it all so I will watch tonight with a cup of tea whist wearing my Union Flag pants.

It goes without saying that you are more than welcome to pop round.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Your second best post.... on 12:52 - Apr 10 with 914 viewsleitrimblue

Your second best post.... on 12:45 - Apr 10 by vapour_trail

Netflix, you say.

Last season is worth watching for the bits filmed around co. Sligo
Your second best post.... on 12:57 - Apr 10 with 874 viewsLord_Lucan

Your second best post.... on 12:45 - Apr 10 by vapour_trail

Netflix, you say.

I enjoyed The Crown until the most recent series when they included many non factual events.

I have a bit of a bug bear about artistic licence when portraying real life drama with real people.

Pearl Harbour for example has been re written and people will believe what they see on the screen.

I find this sort of thing quite depressing to be honest.
[Post edited 10 Apr 2021 13:06]

Login to get fewer ads

Your second best post.... on 12:59 - Apr 10 with 865 viewsDubtractor

Your second best post.... on 12:51 - Apr 10 by Lord_Lucan

I haven't seen any coverage as I've been in my Norwich Man Cave since Wednesday, mainly listening to The Blockheads.

I did though ask @MrsLucan to tape it all so I will watch tonight with a cup of tea whist wearing my Union Flag pants.

It goes without saying that you are more than welcome to pop round.

Tempting as that is, I might leave you to enjoy your pant based royal bereavement evening in solitude.

Your second best post.... on 13:03 - Apr 10 with 840 viewsvapour_trail

Your second best post.... on 12:52 - Apr 10 by leitrimblue

Last season is worth watching for the bits filmed around co. Sligo

I didn’t know that. Whereabouts are they? I only really know the area around Sligo town very well.

RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 13:04 - Apr 10 with 843 viewsgordon

They certainly don't do this for the average benefit scrounger!
Your second best post.... on 13:05 - Apr 10 with 832 viewsLord_Lucan

Your second best post.... on 12:59 - Apr 10 by Dubtractor

Tempting as that is, I might leave you to enjoy your pant based royal bereavement evening in solitude.

Ah. That's a shame, I think Callis is popping over to watch. I've made him some lettuce.

Your second best post.... on 13:14 - Apr 10 with 814 viewsleitrimblue

Your second best post.... on 13:03 - Apr 10 by vapour_trail

I didn’t know that. Whereabouts are they? I only really know the area around Sligo town very well.

All the Mountbatton stuff. It's all filmed where it originally happened in Mullaghmore. Its on the coast about 5-10 mins from Sligo Town
A very reasoned post..... on 13:28 - Apr 10 with 778 viewsitfcjoe

A very reasoned post..... on 12:36 - Apr 10 by Dubtractor

To me, and as a bit of a royalist, it feels as though policies have been written for when there wasn't as many media channels and adapted.

20 years ago having it across BBC1 and BBC2, plus the national radio for a day would have felt fine - now it feels like overkill to be on 3, 4 plus 6 Music, Asian Network and the myriad of BBC stations.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

A very reasoned post..... on 15:40 - Apr 10 with 704 viewsRyorry

A very reasoned post..... on 13:28 - Apr 10 by itfcjoe

To me, and as a bit of a royalist, it feels as though policies have been written for when there wasn't as many media channels and adapted.

20 years ago having it across BBC1 and BBC2, plus the national radio for a day would have felt fine - now it feels like overkill to be on 3, 4 plus 6 Music, Asian Network and the myriad of BBC stations.

I've been wondering if there's something in their charter (which after all is a "Royal Charter") requiring them to restrict programming at times like this. Can't see anything, but only skimmed through - if anyone wants a proper read, here it is -

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/assets/files/pdf/about/how_we_govern/2016/ch

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

A very reasoned post..... on 15:49 - Apr 10 with 693 viewsbluebudgie

A very reasoned post..... on 12:11 - Apr 10 by Lord_Lucan

A large proportion of the left are basically just sad or angry idiots. They held parties when Thatcher died and most of them weren't even born when she was PM and don't really know anything about her.

For me it's embarrassing as socially I hold quite left wing views but these people who feel the need to spout such hate and vitriol leave me cold.

Now they are trashing Phillip because they just feel they need to. I saw a couple of idiots outside Buck House yesterday celebrating with a bottle of bubbly.

Apparently now Phillip was a racist. The Racism title is pushed around with glee so much now, quite frankly it's insulting both to some of the people they target and also the people who experience racism.

Take for example the spear chucking remarks, it has been taken out of context. It came about after an incident when a few Aboriginal chaps got over excited before a visit and started chucking spears and boomerangs about to impress. It's the same as Boris's letterbox comments, it was taken from an article when he was defending the rights of Muslim women wearing the Burka, he was criticising the Danes for banning it.

Life warning alert - never open your mouth, w4nkers will distort what you said.

Phillip was a very impressive person IMHO. A war hero and moderniser of the royal family. If any of the detractors actually researched his life and what he did and achieved they might change their view**

I wonder if any of the detractors who criticise Phillip can show their hands and advise us of what they have achieved in life

I think I heard yesterday that he did 22'000 engagements, in his words he was the most experienced plaque opener in history.

***Depressingly though they probably won't.

I can't imagine myself celebrating the death of someone I don't fundamentally agree with. It shows a complete lack of personal class.

Couldn't put it better myself spider
A very reasoned post..... on 16:06 - Apr 10 with 680 viewsRadlett_blue

A very reasoned post..... on 13:28 - Apr 10 by itfcjoe

Indeed, I reckon this policy was set a generation ago & now looks utterly outdated, rather like the people who probably laid it down.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Your second best post.... on 19:06 - Apr 11 with 548 viewsTractorWood

Your second best post.... on 12:57 - Apr 10 by Lord_Lucan

I enjoyed The Crown until the most recent series when they included many non factual events.

I have a bit of a bug bear about artistic licence when portraying real life drama with real people.

Pearl Harbour for example has been re written and people will believe what they see on the screen.

I find this sort of thing quite depressing to be honest.
[Post edited 10 Apr 2021 13:06]

Yeah agree and same re the last season. Claire Foy was great. Sophie from Peep Show less so.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Your second best post.... on 19:08 - Apr 11 with 545 viewsjeera

Your second best post.... on 19:06 - Apr 11 by TractorWood

Yeah agree and same re the last season. Claire Foy was great. Sophie from Peep Show less so.

I haven't seen The Crown.

But Sophie from Peep Show?

Olivia Coleman is quite a respected actress.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

A very reasoned post..... on 19:33 - Apr 11 with 521 viewsHARRY10

A very reasoned post..... on 16:06 - Apr 10 by Radlett_blue

Indeed, I reckon this policy was set a generation ago & now looks utterly outdated, rather like the people who probably laid it down.

it is not that long since many had Phillip down as the mastermind behind Diana's death

rags like the daily express peddled this stuff for years

just as they castigated her behaviour in the weeks leading up to her death

an attitude that saw a complete turn around the day after, as with almost every other section of the media
A very reasoned post..... on 19:35 - Apr 11 with 520 viewsjeera

A very reasoned post..... on 19:33 - Apr 11 by HARRY10

it is not that long since many had Phillip down as the mastermind behind Diana's death

rags like the daily express peddled this stuff for years

just as they castigated her behaviour in the weeks leading up to her death

an attitude that saw a complete turn around the day after, as with almost every other section of the media

It's all about the sales.

They don't give a toss who they damage.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

A very reasoned post..... on 19:40 - Apr 11 with 510 viewsHARRY10

A very reasoned post..... on 19:35 - Apr 11 by jeera

It's all about the sales.

They don't give a toss who they damage.

nor whose silly head they fill up with nonsense
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024