Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) 12:09 - Apr 9 with 11593 viewsArnieM

This post has been edited by an administrator

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 23:40 - Apr 9 with 2270 viewsPhilTWTD

RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 23:21 - Apr 9 by Freddy

Whats been edited from the opening poster?

Rest in Peace Philip

Nothing, just moved it from Football to General.
RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 00:15 - Apr 10 with 2199 viewsWicklowBlue

Honestly at times I do wonder about you all! Some of my fav posters on here have imho really let themselves down tonight. What's with the vitriol towards other posters?

Let's give Phil a break and have some decorum please everyone. Enough of the baiting!
[Post edited 10 Apr 2021 0:27]
RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 00:35 - Apr 10 with 2169 viewsSpruceMoose

RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 23:01 - Apr 9 by jeera

What a pile of meaningless nothing. I see now why you don't engage.

All the cliches are there too.

"Free speech" - you don't speak though do you, that's the problem.

No one is stopping you.

And wtf is a woke brigade and how come your sort always refer to a brigade? What does that even mean?

You're just another who is angry but doesn't seem to know what at.

Spot on.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 03:27 - Apr 10 with 2113 viewstextbackup

never ceases to amaze me this place.

couldn't just ignore the thread if you didn't like the bloke you'd never met, or say RIP could you. sad

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 03:32 - Apr 10 with 2107 viewsSpruceMoose

RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 03:27 - Apr 10 by textbackup

never ceases to amaze me this place.

couldn't just ignore the thread if you didn't like the bloke you'd never met, or say RIP could you. sad

Heaven forbid some people might have a different opinion about a public figure they've been funding their whole life!

Cancel culture and woke mob indeed!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 03:34 - Apr 10 with 2109 viewstextbackup

RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 03:32 - Apr 10 by SpruceMoose

Heaven forbid some people might have a different opinion about a public figure they've been funding their whole life!

Cancel culture and woke mob indeed!

like I say, ignoring the thread was too difficult for them, just had to get a say in.

if theres something on here I don't agree with I leave it, but then im not a tw*t that needs to have a say in anything and everything

RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 03:42 - Apr 10 with 2102 viewsSpruceMoose

RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 03:34 - Apr 10 by textbackup

like I say, ignoring the thread was too difficult for them, just had to get a say in.

if theres something on here I don't agree with I leave it, but then im not a tw*t that needs to have a say in anything and everything

I mean, clearly that's not true, as you yourself have felt the need to post about something you disagree with rather than just letting it go - on two different threads.

Look, every day on here there's some poster or other crying about how you can't say nothing these days, and that the woke cancel culture mob are ruining it for everyone with their opinions.

Now, the second some billion year old establishment figure dies of old age the same people are now telling others what they can and can't say, shutting down conversation because it goes against their own beliefs. You're a sensible bloke, surely you can see the hypocrisy there?

Anyway, the worst I've seen on here today said about old Philbo Baggins was that he was a bit of a racist. That's hardly controversial is it? We all knew that. He'd been demonstrating it for decades.

My Nan is a nearly his age and is a massive racist, but I still love her though!
[Post edited 10 Apr 2021 3:47]

RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 03:48 - Apr 10 with 2102 viewstextbackup

RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 03:42 - Apr 10 by SpruceMoose

I mean, clearly that's not true, as you yourself have felt the need to post about something you disagree with rather than just letting it go - on two different threads.

Look, every day on here there's some poster or other crying about how you can't say nothing these days, and that the woke cancel culture mob are ruining it for everyone with their opinions.

Now, the second some billion year old establishment figure dies of old age the same people are now telling others what they can and can't say, shutting down conversation because it goes against their own beliefs. You're a sensible bloke, surely you can see the hypocrisy there?

Anyway, the worst I've seen on here today said about old Philbo Baggins was that he was a bit of a racist. That's hardly controversial is it? We all knew that. He'd been demonstrating it for decades.

My Nan is a nearly his age and is a massive racist, but I still love her though!
[Post edited 10 Apr 2021 3:47]

im specifically on this subject aren't I, I haven't come on here to write something cnty about the bloke.

if I log in to see "I vote for xxxxx" I think "load of bo11ocks, ill avoid that"

I just don't understand why just passing on the subject isn't the easier option, but that's just me

Login to get fewer ads

RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 03:55 - Apr 10 with 2097 viewsSpruceMoose

RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 03:48 - Apr 10 by textbackup

im specifically on this subject aren't I, I haven't come on here to write something cnty about the bloke.

if I log in to see "I vote for xxxxx" I think "load of bo11ocks, ill avoid that"

I just don't understand why just passing on the subject isn't the easier option, but that's just me

Likewise I don't get why people are so upset that people might want to discuss the life of a recently deceased public figure who has been a part of all our lives for decades.

He's not the grandad of anyone on here, he was an extremely famous bloke, who like everyone else, had his pluses and his minuses. Yet all I've seen today is drips crying about others wanting to discuss a bloke's character in its entirety. By all means celebrate his hard work and achievements, he clearly led a noteworthy and extraordinary life, but let's not ignore his flaws too.

What's surprising is that normally you're one of the sensible types, usually among the first on here to call out fannies... But now you're joining them!
[Post edited 10 Apr 2021 4:02]

RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 04:01 - Apr 10 with 2096 viewstextbackup

RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 03:55 - Apr 10 by SpruceMoose

Likewise I don't get why people are so upset that people might want to discuss the life of a recently deceased public figure who has been a part of all our lives for decades.

He's not the grandad of anyone on here, he was an extremely famous bloke, who like everyone else, had his pluses and his minuses. Yet all I've seen today is drips crying about others wanting to discuss a bloke's character in its entirety. By all means celebrate his hard work and achievements, he clearly led a noteworthy and extraordinary life, but let's not ignore his flaws too.

What's surprising is that normally you're one of the sensible types, usually among the first on here to call out fannies... But now you're joining them!
[Post edited 10 Apr 2021 4:02]

im mean you can call you joining in with the fannies if you like, personally I think its about respect, surprised you don't see that, but whatever.

RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 04:06 - Apr 10 with 2090 viewsSpruceMoose

RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 04:01 - Apr 10 by textbackup

im mean you can call you joining in with the fannies if you like, personally I think its about respect, surprised you don't see that, but whatever.

I suppose I don't see it as disrespectful to discuss the full scope of a public figure's life. What's the sense in pretending someone was a perfect human just because they've died?

If they did good - tell that tale.
If they did something problematic - tell that tale too.
Tell both tales. It's what makes us human.

Isn't that the grown up way of doing things rather than simply saying 'They're dead - only positive words please'?

Otherwise you run the risk of becoming unstuck. Who do you extend that courtesy to, and who do you not extend that courtesy to? Best to be consistent and let a person's actions dictate the kind of coverage their death receives.
[Post edited 10 Apr 2021 4:10]

RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 05:20 - Apr 10 with 2078 viewsstantheman

RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 21:19 - Apr 9 by jeera

I think you may be missing the point a bit there though.

It's not a secret that Philip said racist things. That's not opinion.

Like I say if you want to argue that's a sign of conditioning I would politely disagree but that's partly because I'm not about to argue about a man who has just died.

I also don't believe in speaking ill of the [recently] deceased but that doesn't mean everyone sees it that way. I just don't do it myself if I can help it.

If it were a dangerous person, someone different in different circumstances then that rule goes out of the window naturally. You know, dictators etc.

He said a number of gaffs on his many travels to foreign countries, that is true. Calling him a racist because of those gaffs is not. For instance the quote somewhere about "throwing spears at each other" was actually said in context to an earlier comment by an Aborigine who when asked about tribal co-operation mentioned that in the past "we were throwing spears at each other". By all means call out true racism but bending it to make out everyone you don't agree with is somehow racist is just counter productive to the racism issue.
RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 05:50 - Apr 10 with 2073 viewsSpruceMoose

RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 05:20 - Apr 10 by stantheman

He said a number of gaffs on his many travels to foreign countries, that is true. Calling him a racist because of those gaffs is not. For instance the quote somewhere about "throwing spears at each other" was actually said in context to an earlier comment by an Aborigine who when asked about tribal co-operation mentioned that in the past "we were throwing spears at each other". By all means call out true racism but bending it to make out everyone you don't agree with is somehow racist is just counter productive to the racism issue.

Don't call racist stuff racist because it might harm the fight against racism is a pretty bold statement, I'll give you that.

Honestly, you'd be better off acknowledging that he was of his age, he said some dumb racist stuff while going about his business, and countering that by telling us about his other, better, achievements.

These mental gymnastics involved in denying he said some racist things during his life must be exhausting. How are you going to excuse him calling the people of Beijing "slitty eyed" for example? You can't. It's racist.
[Post edited 10 Apr 2021 5:56]

RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 06:04 - Apr 10 with 2065 viewsstantheman

RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 05:50 - Apr 10 by SpruceMoose

Don't call racist stuff racist because it might harm the fight against racism is a pretty bold statement, I'll give you that.

Honestly, you'd be better off acknowledging that he was of his age, he said some dumb racist stuff while going about his business, and countering that by telling us about his other, better, achievements.

These mental gymnastics involved in denying he said some racist things during his life must be exhausting. How are you going to excuse him calling the people of Beijing "slitty eyed" for example? You can't. It's racist.
[Post edited 10 Apr 2021 5:56]

Misjudged yes but not racist. In my eyes anyway. In others who look to be offended at every turn, yes.
RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 06:51 - Apr 10 with 2040 viewsGlasgowBlue

RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 22:24 - Apr 9 by footers

Interesting.

You post about having dignity and reverence for Phil, then go on to make cheap political capital from it about a Labour Party leader who hasn't been in power for a year.

And as TWTD's most famous anti-racist you praise this man who has called Africans 'spear-chuckers' and Asian people 'slitty-eyed' amongst many other things.

Well done, you.

Nah. Just exposing your rank hypocrisy and selective outrage at racist comments.

Btw. Your “calling Africans spear chuckers ” comment. Rather lazy from you. I would have thought an avowed anti racist would get their facts right when accusing somebody of racism.

“On a visit to the Tjapukai Aboriginal cultural park near the northern Australian town of Cairns, Prince Philip stopped to speak to a group of Aborigine elders. William Brim, 42, the park founder, said the prince asked: "Do you still throw spears at each other?"

Last time I checked Aborigines were the indigenous people of Australia. A continent some 10,000 kilometres from the continent of Africa..

Oh well, I suppose to some people they all look the same and it’s just easier to interchange one dark skinned race for another when there are internet points up for grabs on the day somebody has died, eh footers.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

A very reasoned post..... on 07:51 - Apr 10 with 1993 viewsitfcjoe

A very reasoned post..... on 21:25 - Apr 9 by Bloots

.....people can have opinions, sometimes very strong ones, without needing to become abusive or offensive.

There's also the more general point around common decency.

x

Some happy to show an utter lack of any class

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

A very reasoned post..... on 08:21 - Apr 10 with 1943 viewsmikeybloo88

A very reasoned post..... on 07:51 - Apr 10 by itfcjoe

Some happy to show an utter lack of any class

Indeed...should Mr. Corbyn pass away today, my first reaction wouldn't be to come on here and call him a terrorist supporting communist or label very one who voted Labour as scum. Knowing the appropriate time to display respect and class is a skill many, but not all, learn as they mature...
RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 08:27 - Apr 10 with 1940 viewstiptreeblue

RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 13:55 - Apr 9 by bluelagos

I'm sorry Rommers, but when someone dies, their character, history and the way they have conducted themselves doesn't disappear.

Of course at one level, an old man (husband, dad and grandad) dies and that is sad. But that doesn't mean he was an angel anymore than anyone else who dies.

We are now to be force fed royalist claptrap for the next few days rewriting his life and frankly, I and many others have no time for it.

People being honest about who he was, how he conducted himself and what he represented isn't being disrespectful. Of course some people will wish to remember him as the royalists portray him, and that is their right.

Same as it is for others to be more balanced in their observations and memories.
[Post edited 9 Apr 2021 13:57]

More balanced, will your idea of him change, even a little, now that it`s come out that, one of the things he came up with was the idea for gift aid. which has raised millions for charity?.
RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 08:31 - Apr 10 with 1934 viewsbluelagos

RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 08:27 - Apr 10 by tiptreeblue

More balanced, will your idea of him change, even a little, now that it`s come out that, one of the things he came up with was the idea for gift aid. which has raised millions for charity?.

Will answer on a new thread if that' ok.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 10:44 - Apr 10 with 1863 viewsBiGDonnie

RIP Prince Phillip (n/t) on 06:04 - Apr 10 by stantheman

Misjudged yes but not racist. In my eyes anyway. In others who look to be offended at every turn, yes.

Nail on the head!

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

A very reasoned post..... on 10:54 - Apr 10 with 1842 viewslowhouseblue

A very reasoned post..... on 08:21 - Apr 10 by mikeybloo88

Indeed...should Mr. Corbyn pass away today, my first reaction wouldn't be to come on here and call him a terrorist supporting communist or label very one who voted Labour as scum. Knowing the appropriate time to display respect and class is a skill many, but not all, learn as they mature...

spot on. as some may have noticed corbyn is not my favourite, but i wouldn't post negative stuff as soon as he died. it's basic empathy and not using someone's death just to repeat your standard political schtick.

also when someone dies who has been prominent in public life for such an incredibly long period it's an opportunity to reflect on recent history. it's an insight into how much has changed. so the media coverage is way over the top but it is very interesting to try and put his life in context and see how we have got to where we are, if just you pause for a minute.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

A very reasoned post..... on 11:45 - Apr 10 with 1778 viewsRyorry

A very reasoned post..... on 10:54 - Apr 10 by lowhouseblue

spot on. as some may have noticed corbyn is not my favourite, but i wouldn't post negative stuff as soon as he died. it's basic empathy and not using someone's death just to repeat your standard political schtick.

also when someone dies who has been prominent in public life for such an incredibly long period it's an opportunity to reflect on recent history. it's an insight into how much has changed. so the media coverage is way over the top but it is very interesting to try and put his life in context and see how we have got to where we are, if just you pause for a minute.

Another couple of nails on the head, including the very interesting second para.

Despite everyone knowing PP was 99, a few seem to have forgotten how the world was & prevailing attitudes were in the UK in 1922, not just amongst the so called "upper classes" & "aristocracy", but most of the population generally.

And the longer I live, the more evidence I see that many who shout very loudly about the welfare & rights of "the people" en masse, are completely unable to understand, or show any evidence of empathy or compassion for people as individuals.
[Post edited 10 Apr 2021 11:48]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

A very reasoned post..... on 11:56 - Apr 10 with 1755 viewslowhouseblue

A very reasoned post..... on 11:45 - Apr 10 by Ryorry

Another couple of nails on the head, including the very interesting second para.

Despite everyone knowing PP was 99, a few seem to have forgotten how the world was & prevailing attitudes were in the UK in 1922, not just amongst the so called "upper classes" & "aristocracy", but most of the population generally.

And the longer I live, the more evidence I see that many who shout very loudly about the welfare & rights of "the people" en masse, are completely unable to understand, or show any evidence of empathy or compassion for people as individuals.
[Post edited 10 Apr 2021 11:48]

if you step back from the need to approve or disapprove, it's an absolutely fascinating life. from being nomad european royalty, through war service, and being there in the middle of it all for 2nd half of the twentieth century. his age makes it one of those rare occasions when such a long span of history is suddenly thrown into focus.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

A very reasoned post..... on 12:11 - Apr 10 with 1708 viewsLord_Lucan

A very reasoned post..... on 08:21 - Apr 10 by mikeybloo88

A large proportion of the left are basically just sad or angry idiots. They held parties when Thatcher died and most of them weren't even born when she was PM and don't really know anything about her.

For me it's embarrassing as socially I hold quite left wing views but these people who feel the need to spout such hate and vitriol leave me cold.

Now they are trashing Phillip because they just feel they need to. I saw a couple of idiots outside Buck House yesterday celebrating with a bottle of bubbly.

Apparently now Phillip was a racist. The Racism title is pushed around with glee so much now, quite frankly it's insulting both to some of the people they target and also the people who experience racism.

Take for example the spear chucking remarks, it has been taken out of context. It came about after an incident when a few Aboriginal chaps got over excited before a visit and started chucking spears and boomerangs about to impress. It's the same as Boris's letterbox comments, it was taken from an article when he was defending the rights of Muslim women wearing the Burka, he was criticising the Danes for banning it.

Life warning alert - never open your mouth, w4nkers will distort what you said.

Phillip was a very impressive person IMHO. A war hero and moderniser of the royal family. If any of the detractors actually researched his life and what he did and achieved they might change their view**

I wonder if any of the detractors who criticise Phillip can show their hands and advise us of what they have achieved in life

I think I heard yesterday that he did 22'000 engagements, in his words he was the most experienced plaque opener in history.

***Depressingly though they probably won't.

I can't imagine myself celebrating the death of someone I don't fundamentally agree with. It shows a complete lack of personal class.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Your second best post.... on 12:23 - Apr 10 with 1671 viewsBloots

A very reasoned post..... on 12:11 - Apr 10 by Lord_Lucan

A large proportion of the left are basically just sad or angry idiots. They held parties when Thatcher died and most of them weren't even born when she was PM and don't really know anything about her.

For me it's embarrassing as socially I hold quite left wing views but these people who feel the need to spout such hate and vitriol leave me cold.

Now they are trashing Phillip because they just feel they need to. I saw a couple of idiots outside Buck House yesterday celebrating with a bottle of bubbly.

Apparently now Phillip was a racist. The Racism title is pushed around with glee so much now, quite frankly it's insulting both to some of the people they target and also the people who experience racism.

Take for example the spear chucking remarks, it has been taken out of context. It came about after an incident when a few Aboriginal chaps got over excited before a visit and started chucking spears and boomerangs about to impress. It's the same as Boris's letterbox comments, it was taken from an article when he was defending the rights of Muslim women wearing the Burka, he was criticising the Danes for banning it.

Life warning alert - never open your mouth, w4nkers will distort what you said.

Phillip was a very impressive person IMHO. A war hero and moderniser of the royal family. If any of the detractors actually researched his life and what he did and achieved they might change their view**

I wonder if any of the detractors who criticise Phillip can show their hands and advise us of what they have achieved in life

I think I heard yesterday that he did 22'000 engagements, in his words he was the most experienced plaque opener in history.

***Depressingly though they probably won't.

I can't imagine myself celebrating the death of someone I don't fundamentally agree with. It shows a complete lack of personal class.

...in the last 24 hours.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024