Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If I was Paul Cook 13:28 - Apr 12 with 3080 viewspennblue

I would start to tear up contracts of players who are not doing it.

Just settle the contracts on 4 or 5 players that you don't want.

Then see how the rest respond.

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

If I was Paul Cook on 13:31 - Apr 12 with 2857 viewsjayessess

I don't know why there's this standing assumption that the more anxious and fearful the players are the better the performances they'll put in.
[Post edited 12 Apr 2021 13:35]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

If I was Paul Cook on 13:33 - Apr 12 with 2839 viewsParky

If the players haven’t upped their game and efforts in training, so I’m told after having a new manager appointed and then new owners within the space of a couple of months, there is no hope, I’m afraid.
[Post edited 12 Apr 2021 13:34]
If I was Paul Cook on 13:33 - Apr 12 with 2835 viewsSwansea_Blue

Half time entertainment - he could do it in the centre circle. Obviously surrounded by fireworks, cheerleaders and all that razzmatazz now that we're team USA.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

If I was Paul Cook on 13:39 - Apr 12 with 2789 viewsGuthrum

Would probably make little difference. The contracts would have to bw paid up regardless. Merely puts them on the market a bit earlier than expected.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

If I was Paul Cook on 13:41 - Apr 12 with 2775 viewsSteve_M

If I was Paul Cook on 13:31 - Apr 12 by jayessess

I don't know why there's this standing assumption that the more anxious and fearful the players are the better the performances they'll put in.
[Post edited 12 Apr 2021 13:35]

Roy Keane would have been a great success if that were the case.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

If I was Paul Cook on 13:52 - Apr 12 with 2719 viewsjayessess

If I was Paul Cook on 13:41 - Apr 12 by Steve_M

Roy Keane would have been a great success if that were the case.

I'm no sports psychologist, but I imagine it's probably preferable for our players to walk out thinking "I'm a great footballer, if I work hard enough I can excel and persuade this club or another club that I'm worth investing in" rather than "wow, that was scary how my colleague/friend got humiliated by the boss, I better not mess up!"

If I was Paul Cook on 13:58 - Apr 12 with 2695 viewschrismakin

If I was Paul Cook on 13:52 - Apr 12 by jayessess

I'm no sports psychologist, but I imagine it's probably preferable for our players to walk out thinking "I'm a great footballer, if I work hard enough I can excel and persuade this club or another club that I'm worth investing in" rather than "wow, that was scary how my colleague/friend got humiliated by the boss, I better not mess up!"

Isn't that what Paul has been doing anyway, he's desperately trying not to be negative about the team despite being asked the same questions and we all knowing the answers.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

If I was Paul Cook on 14:01 - Apr 12 with 2660 viewsclive_baker

Our lot would probably love the 3 months off on full pay rather than the inconvenience of having to play 7 more matches.

Personally I would look to start talking new contracts and dangling the carrot with the ones I think I would like here next season, the likes of Bishop, Toto, Nydam etc, and give them the hunger to go and earn a contract, together with the players with contracts for next season. Anyone with a contract up this summer and zero chance (from both sides) of renewing it e.g. Edwards, Judge, Sears, Skuse + the 6 loanees probably have half an eye on avoiding injury and little motivation to get us firing. They should be left out from now on IMO.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Login to get fewer ads

If I was Paul Cook on 14:07 - Apr 12 with 2632 viewsjayessess

If I was Paul Cook on 13:58 - Apr 12 by chrismakin

Isn't that what Paul has been doing anyway, he's desperately trying not to be negative about the team despite being asked the same questions and we all knowing the answers.

yeah, from the outside he seems to be doing the best he can to get these players in the right frame of mind. No guarantee it'll work, but I think he's struck a good balance when talking publicly.

Also worth nothing that whilst he's happy to go on record saying performances aren't adequate, he hasn't at any point implied that what's lacking is effort.

If I was Paul Cook on 14:10 - Apr 12 with 2615 viewsfloridaboy

If I was Paul Cook on 13:39 - Apr 12 by Guthrum

Would probably make little difference. The contracts would have to bw paid up regardless. Merely puts them on the market a bit earlier than expected.

Agree but the problem is now that with clubs seriously being cash strapped there are going to be a big glut of players looking for new clubs.

Pretty sure there are a good majority of clubs in leagues 1 and 2 who will be trimming their squads just to try and save money!

We have a huge squad compared to the majority of League 1 and 2 clubs, who is going to want our cast offs and there are not many we will get a fee for either!
If I was Paul Cook on 14:15 - Apr 12 with 2591 viewshype313

It would be counter productive, we still have a shout at the play offs (I know, I Know) so it would be better to keep that carrot dangled with them thinking a decent end to the season might give them an opportunity to earn another year (Even if they have as much chance of that as Phil getting a perm)

The players themselves will know the market is going to be terrible in the coming months and maybe a few might struggle to find a way back in with clubs looking to cut costs far deeper than usual.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

If I was Paul Cook on 14:17 - Apr 12 with 2571 viewschrismakin

If I was Paul Cook on 14:07 - Apr 12 by jayessess

yeah, from the outside he seems to be doing the best he can to get these players in the right frame of mind. No guarantee it'll work, but I think he's struck a good balance when talking publicly.

Also worth nothing that whilst he's happy to go on record saying performances aren't adequate, he hasn't at any point implied that what's lacking is effort.

It's really as simple as alot have said all season, it quite simply isn't good enough when the strongest 11 isn't available.

When it is, we've won games, when it isn't we don't get results. The 3 game Gill win, we had a very very nice 11 out there, we've not seen close ever since.

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

If I was Paul Cook on 14:33 - Apr 12 with 2525 viewslongtimefan

If I was Paul Cook on 14:17 - Apr 12 by chrismakin

It's really as simple as alot have said all season, it quite simply isn't good enough when the strongest 11 isn't available.

When it is, we've won games, when it isn't we don't get results. The 3 game Gill win, we had a very very nice 11 out there, we've not seen close ever since.

I’m not convinced it’s that simple. The players who have been unavailable recently compared to the team for those matches are Norwood, Bennett’s, Wilson and Kenlock. I wouldn’t say we’ve been particularly challenged defensively without the last two, and how many town supporters would put Bennetts in as a first choice. I think we definitely miss Norwood, but it’s not like he’s missed every game since and there’s also plenty of supporters who don’t rate him either.
[Post edited 12 Apr 2021 14:34]
If I was Paul Cook on 14:37 - Apr 12 with 2513 viewschrismakin

If I was Paul Cook on 14:33 - Apr 12 by longtimefan

I’m not convinced it’s that simple. The players who have been unavailable recently compared to the team for those matches are Norwood, Bennett’s, Wilson and Kenlock. I wouldn’t say we’ve been particularly challenged defensively without the last two, and how many town supporters would put Bennetts in as a first choice. I think we definitely miss Norwood, but it’s not like he’s missed every game since and there’s also plenty of supporters who don’t rate him either.

Not about what supporters think though is it, he was a big part in our random upturn, is very direct, created space for Norwood etc. He has been missed, Kenlock in that run was playing like a new signing. etc

Norwood, is our best striker, regardless of thoughts on him, hes only played 4 games out of 9 for cook and scored in 2 maybe even 3 of the the ones he played.

If I was Paul Cook on 14:37 - Apr 12 with 2509 viewsjayessess

If I was Paul Cook on 14:33 - Apr 12 by longtimefan

I'd definitely have Bennetts as first choice and I think he makes a very positive (if inconsistent) difference to our attacking play.

I might be alone in that, mind.
[Post edited 12 Apr 2021 14:37]

If I was Paul Cook on 14:38 - Apr 12 with 2496 viewschrismakin

If I was Paul Cook on 14:37 - Apr 12 by jayessess

I'd definitely have Bennetts as first choice and I think he makes a very positive (if inconsistent) difference to our attacking play.

I love Bennetts. Needs work on his end product, but he's so direct it's exactly what we've missed

If I was Paul Cook on 14:47 - Apr 12 with 2463 viewsjayessess

If I was Paul Cook on 14:38 - Apr 12 by chrismakin

I love Bennetts. Needs work on his end product, but he's so direct it's exactly what we've missed

Love is a strong word!

End product's not great, but he gets us up the pitch, can keep the ball under pressure, draws fouls and he's not a player the opposition can leave 1 on 1 with the full back. All of which gets us up the pitch, gets us in attacking positions and helps us get people in the box.

If he's fit, I'd 100% start him tomorrow night.

If I was Paul Cook on 14:49 - Apr 12 with 2452 viewschrismakin

If I was Paul Cook on 14:47 - Apr 12 by jayessess

Love is a strong word!

End product's not great, but he gets us up the pitch, can keep the ball under pressure, draws fouls and he's not a player the opposition can leave 1 on 1 with the full back. All of which gets us up the pitch, gets us in attacking positions and helps us get people in the box.

If he's fit, I'd 100% start him tomorrow night.

people will find my love for him strange as I feel the complete opposite to Drinan, but with Bennetts, his directness is actually hurtful for the defenders, I find Drinan runs alot but not really in places you want him to.

Yes there will be better Bennetts out there, but for now, we just don't have another one of him in our squad

Bennetts on the left, Dobra on the right, That's the way to go.

If I was Paul Cook on 14:55 - Apr 12 with 2439 viewsStewart27

If I was Paul Cook on 13:33 - Apr 12 by Parky

If the players haven’t upped their game and efforts in training, so I’m told after having a new manager appointed and then new owners within the space of a couple of months, there is no hope, I’m afraid.

I’ve been thinking about this. They may have actually upped their game. However, Cook still deemed this an absolute shambles. He didn’t know what they were like before he came in.

The bar has been set so incredibly low at this club for a really long time.
If I was Paul Cook on 14:59 - Apr 12 with 2422 viewsJoHnNnY

Perhaps some are actually confusing effort with ability.
The ability of this squad is about 30% of the one that got promoted with Matt Holland as captain.
There unfortunately lays the problem that been getting worse year on year.

Can we just play some attractive football please?
Poll: Who would like to see a return of the previous badge design?

If I was Paul Cook on 15:07 - Apr 12 with 2390 viewsistanblue

It's a mentality thing. The players at this club have been allowed to coast along on easy street for YEARS (probably since under Mick). They've gone from an environment where there isn't much pressure to win; mediocrity is constantly excused; failure is rewarded, to an environment where all of that is going and standards are a lot higher. It should come as no surprise that players aren't magically performing to the required level. It's a long-term process. All Cook and fans can expect is the players at least show a want and desire to improve and come along for the ride. Those that don't will be shown the door hopefully.
If I was Paul Cook on 15:49 - Apr 12 with 2318 viewssouthnorfolkblue

They’ll probably rub their hands at getting a nice lump sum of cash. Far better just not to renew their contracts at the end of the season and look to move on those who are still under contract assuming anybody wants them

Poll: Our final position

If I was Paul Cook on 22:40 - Apr 12 with 2036 viewsrgp1

That's the biggest concern and however you dress it up performance levels have dropped not gone up. Some of Cooks comments reminds us of Hurst after Exeter. Interestingly a large number of those players are still in the club nearly 2 years later. But as another poster said if you start with 6 or 7 new players in the starting 11 on the first day then it can take time to gel.
If I was Paul Cook on 22:46 - Apr 12 with 2019 viewsreusersfreekicks

If I was Paul Cook on 14:37 - Apr 12 by jayessess

Pretty sure you are. Terrible player
If I was Paul Cook on 23:04 - Apr 12 with 1942 viewsChurchman

I’d keep them to the seasons end and be totally professional about it. Set the tone for how the club is going to be. They’re paid to be here. I’d reiterate that they have to the seasons end to prove if the want and have a future at ITFC. I’m sure he knows by now who he wants to retain anyway, but they can either prove they are worth adding to the list or show they’re worth deleting. Their problem.

The majority of Cooks time should be about planning for next year. If that means time out scouting, talking to people, recruiting and leaving the team to Gill and Dyer that’s good experience for them. They can report if somebody has shown anything worth seeing and there’s always the video.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024