Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. 21:08 - Apr 20 with 7775 viewsunstableblue

... antics on the side lines are completely UNACCEPTABLE.

From the ignoring Town players walking just next to him at full time, and graphically praising Northampton players, to covering his eyes and shaking his head on an early Wolfenden mistake, to turning away and gesticulating wildly on a KVY error, etc etc.

Add this to continuous criticism in the media of the players quality!

Berating people who work for you is a motivation technique you use sparingly, its proven not to work. Humiliating them when they are on a VERY VERY low ebb of confidence is disastrous.

Plus we did not have a system to tackle their banks of players. That's the managers job.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 22:00 - Apr 20 with 1176 viewschrismakin

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 21:57 - Apr 20 by unstableblue

Exactly Joe.

Clearly Cook will have come in and seen he has an underperforming team, that was miles off what he wants. But he had a short window to try and get something from it, AND as you state to develop a relationship with players who are staying and to get them embedded into your style.

But if you're a player like Wolfenden or Downes you are going to look at those sideline antics and just think - WTF?

Now a big question is why is Downes performing so poorly of late? is he injured? or is he just not bought into the coaching? because surely we can't bring in 11 players, and Downes is a player to build a team from.

To finish thought Joe - Cook's presser tonight showed some class, and was the right antidote, and the players will note that. And I bet you Cook is feeling he has overdone it recently.

But feck me, this is a new low, when I thought we couldn't get any lower. Cook needs to get his arms round the players and squeeze some wins before the end of the season. End of season woes often carry over the summer.

This isn't the u10's ffs

Watch the likes of Pepe, Klopp etc on the sidelines. If one of their players kick the ball out trying to make an easy 5 yard pass, you would think they personally insulted the managers, they go berserk.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 22:01 - Apr 20 with 1177 viewsChurchman

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 21:26 - Apr 20 by unstableblue

All the players on the pitch tonight are capable of a good game, and have some quality, I completely agree that they massively failed over the last few seasons,and the majority need to be moved on.... but surely the mistakes you are referring to are as a result of pressure and a complete lack of confidence??

And perhaps a lack of clarity on system? why not Hawkins instead of jackson in a 4-2-3-1? why not Dobra over Bennets?

Is this lack of confidence and WOEFUL player form not in part instilled by the manager's attitude, surely it is? as you rightly state the players are failing at the basics, but its fine margins, and the atmosphere is not right.

And its not just the young players, chambo was making woeful errors against AFC frickin Wimbledon

Are they capable of a good game? We are not harking back to Blackpool away are we? If so that’s very thin pickings. These players’ best qualities are leaving it to somebody else and not being too bothered about it because they know they are Premier League players really. Denial.

These are adults. Where is their professionalism and pride? Where is the ownership of their own performance? Is it ok for them to hide if the manager is nasty to them and wants them to train harder? Awww, diddums, poor players. It’s the manager, boo! If only there was somebody to massage their fragile egos and tell them it’s not their fault, maybe a coach running around on the field telling them what to do.

Sorry, if they are not man enough to accept a few home truths, see you later. If they are not prepared to work for their own form and for the team, see you later. Most people in their working lives have a tough time every so often. Maybe our players should take a look in the mirror.

I so hope after the carnage Cook puts together a real team and proves the ‘12 games and you are out’ doubters wrong. If he doesn’t, so be it, but I think he deserves at least one transfer windows before judgement day. It’s not too much to ask.
[Post edited 20 Apr 2021 22:27]
I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 22:03 - Apr 20 with 1171 viewsitfcjoe

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 22:00 - Apr 20 by chrismakin

This isn't the u10's ffs

Watch the likes of Pepe, Klopp etc on the sidelines. If one of their players kick the ball out trying to make an easy 5 yard pass, you would think they personally insulted the managers, they go berserk.

Have you ever seen Pep or Klopp ignore every single one of their players after a poor performance? It just doesn't happen

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 22:04 - Apr 20 with 1154 viewschrismakin

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 22:03 - Apr 20 by itfcjoe

Have you ever seen Pep or Klopp ignore every single one of their players after a poor performance? It just doesn't happen

i've seen Pepe walk straight to the dressing room ignoring both sets of players

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 22:05 - Apr 20 with 1155 viewsitfcjoe

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 22:04 - Apr 20 by chrismakin

i've seen Pepe walk straight to the dressing room ignoring both sets of players

Which is totally different

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 22:14 - Apr 20 with 1110 viewschrismakin

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 22:05 - Apr 20 by itfcjoe

Which is totally different

not really

it's still blanking

I'd say its a touch of class of PC to shake hands with the winners as much as he'd be fuming inside.

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 22:17 - Apr 20 with 1108 viewsChurchman

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 22:03 - Apr 20 by itfcjoe

I’d love to see what they’d do with our heroes. I dread to think. Shaking hands with the opposition players who gave everything is no bad thing.
I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 22:17 - Apr 20 with 1104 viewspointofblue

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 22:14 - Apr 20 by chrismakin

not really

it's still blanking

I'd say its a touch of class of PC to shake hands with the winners as much as he'd be fuming inside.

It's making a point to the squad - Pep and Klopp do it another way which probably works better with the players.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Login to get fewer ads

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 22:17 - Apr 20 with 1109 viewsitfcjoe

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 22:14 - Apr 20 by chrismakin

not really

it's still blanking

Walking away, and then presumably reacting in the changing room is very different than deliberately standing there and making a point of blanking your own players - it's childlike behaviour

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 22:18 - Apr 20 with 1104 viewsN2_Blue

The one thing PC has definitely got right is to ignore these tossheads.

This is the third manager they have not played for and PC is not a bad manager....you don't become a bad manager over night. The players are the effing problems and their attitude, performance level, fitness is shocking. In any other industry they would have been sacked without pay for poor performance

Give them a pat on the back and say unlucky chaps....wtf. This attitude has got us nowhere for years!

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 22:19 - Apr 20 with 1101 viewsitfcjoe

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 22:17 - Apr 20 by Churchman

I’d love to see what they’d do with our heroes. I dread to think. Shaking hands with the opposition players who gave everything is no bad thing.

Mick McCarthy would stand out and shake every players hadn at the end of each game - win lose, or draw - it's just showing a consistent level of respect and behaviour. Not difficult

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 22:22 - Apr 20 with 1086 viewsN2_Blue

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 22:19 - Apr 20 by itfcjoe

Mick McCarthy would stand out and shake every players hadn at the end of each game - win lose, or draw - it's just showing a consistent level of respect and behaviour. Not difficult

FFS Joe, Mick McCarthy didn't have players literally throw in the towel and coast through because they don't give a toss. Town sides generally gave everything under Mick, even when they lost badly.

Huge difference here

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 22:23 - Apr 20 with 1080 viewspointofblue

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 22:22 - Apr 20 by N2_Blue

FFS Joe, Mick McCarthy didn't have players literally throw in the towel and coast through because they don't give a toss. Town sides generally gave everything under Mick, even when they lost badly.

Huge difference here

Maybe because Mick motivated the players so they wanted to play for him?

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 22:25 - Apr 20 with 1073 viewsTractorCam

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 22:23 - Apr 20 by pointofblue

Maybe because Mick motivated the players so they wanted to play for him?

Well Cook clearly motivated his players at Chesterfield, Portsmouth and Wigan. I've had fans from all 3 clubs on twitter shout his praise from the rooftops to me.

These players are losers, judge next season.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 22:27 - Apr 20 with 1063 viewsreusersfreekicks

not really

it's still blanking

You are wrong, going straight to the dressing room is not as obvious a shun as ignoring them on the way to the dressing room
I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 22:29 - Apr 20 with 1050 viewspointofblue

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 22:25 - Apr 20 by TractorCam

Well Cook clearly motivated his players at Chesterfield, Portsmouth and Wigan. I've had fans from all 3 clubs on twitter shout his praise from the rooftops to me.

These players are losers, judge next season.

After complete overhauls.

He can handle a squad on his terms but have an impact on people already in place, like Mick? Not likely.

He was nearly sacked at Wigan for an absolutely disastrous run too. He turned it round just in time though too late to survive.

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 22:30 - Apr 20 with 1048 viewsSwailsey

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 22:19 - Apr 20 by itfcjoe

Just a thought (and I do get your point or view), doesn’t it look disingenuous if he shakes their hands, then absolutely lays into them in the dressing room? It would seem slightly two-faced. Perhaps he doesn’t respect them. Would you as a manager? Do you as a fan? I don’t for the most part.

The players are by and large the problem here. We can’t keep cycling through managers.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 22:39 - Apr 20 with 1029 viewsChurchman

Respect is something you earn. The players play for themselves and their teammates, even if they hate the club, country and the world. Cook showed respect for an opposition team that gave 100%. A team that doesn’t, like an individual in any workplace, forfeits that respect.

In a week we’ve played Wimbledon and Northampton away. Beaten out of sight without managing a goal in both games. A low point in the clubs history if ever there was one. And you expect the manager to ‘show respect’ by shaking their hands after they’ve made a fool of him, possibly deliberately? You’ve got to be joking, surely.
I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 22:41 - Apr 20 with 1026 viewsitfcjoe

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 22:22 - Apr 20 by N2_Blue

Huge difference here

Have you considered why Mick was able to get more out of players?

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 22:43 - Apr 20 with 1007 viewsreusersfreekicks

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 22:39 - Apr 20 by Churchman

Respect is something you earn. The players play for themselves and their teammates, even if they hate the club, country and the world. Cook showed respect for an opposition team that gave 100%. A team that doesn’t, like an individual in any workplace, forfeits that respect.

In a week we’ve played Wimbledon and Northampton away. Beaten out of sight without managing a goal in both games. A low point in the clubs history if ever there was one. And you expect the manager to ‘show respect’ by shaking their hands after they’ve made a fool of him, possibly deliberately? You’ve got to be joking, surely.

Possibly deliberately. What nonsense. Ffs
I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 22:44 - Apr 20 with 999 viewschrismakin

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 22:41 - Apr 20 by itfcjoe

Have you considered why Mick was able to get more out of players?

because he brought a load of players in? just a hunch

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 22:49 - Apr 20 with 984 viewsChurchman

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 22:43 - Apr 20 by reusersfreekicks

Possibly deliberately. What nonsense. Ffs

You are saying that players haven’t done their best a a club ever to oust a manager they didn’t like? Sorry, there are more than a few that have tried it, including Bill Baxter, Tommy Carroll and co on Bobby Robson. I’m not saying that’s happened with Cook because our lot are so bad it’d hard to tell the difference, but it’s an outside possibility surely.
[Post edited 20 Apr 2021 22:52]
I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 22:50 - Apr 20 with 976 viewsreusersfreekicks

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 22:49 - Apr 20 by Churchman

You are saying that players haven’t done their best a a club ever to oust a manager they didn’t like? Sorry, there are more than a few that have tried it, including Bill Baxter, Tommy Carroll and co on Bobby Robson. I’m not saying that’s happened with Cook because our lot are so bad it’d hard to tell the difference, but it’s an outside possibility surely.
[Post edited 20 Apr 2021 22:52]

So which ones in particular are trying to do it now?
I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 22:55 - Apr 20 with 964 viewsChurchman

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 22:50 - Apr 20 by reusersfreekicks

So which ones in particular are trying to do it now?

I’ve no idea, any more than anyone actually knew who the ringleaders where that got rid of Cough at Leeds till after the event. All I’m saying is that it’s a possibility that players are trying to get Cook out, that’s all. There has to be a reason why none of them have stepped up.
I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 23:03 - Apr 20 with 1062 viewsEireannach_gorm

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 22:17 - Apr 20 by pointofblue

It's making a point to the squad - Pep and Klopp do it another way which probably works better with the players.

.. and they have better players to start with.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024