Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. 21:08 - Apr 20 with 7794 viewsunstableblue

... antics on the side lines are completely UNACCEPTABLE.

From the ignoring Town players walking just next to him at full time, and graphically praising Northampton players, to covering his eyes and shaking his head on an early Wolfenden mistake, to turning away and gesticulating wildly on a KVY error, etc etc.

Add this to continuous criticism in the media of the players quality!

Berating people who work for you is a motivation technique you use sparingly, its proven not to work. Humiliating them when they are on a VERY VERY low ebb of confidence is disastrous.

Plus we did not have a system to tackle their banks of players. That's the managers job.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 23:48 - Apr 20 with 1842 viewsNthQldITFC

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 22:41 - Apr 20 by itfcjoe

Have you considered why Mick was able to get more out of players?

I can't imagine many managers, including Mick, have ever inherited a squad of such low morale, utterly broken or so it appears from the sidelines. I don't think this situation can be compared with anything that's gone before at ITFC. It feels like a tipping point was passed some time ago, and no manager in history could have rescued this situation, so until the club is (hopefully) rebuilt over the summer, there's absolutely no value in any comparisons between managers or their approaches. The situation is just sh*t, but hopefully the only way is up.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 23:54 - Apr 20 with 1825 viewspointofblue

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 23:48 - Apr 20 by NthQldITFC

I can't imagine many managers, including Mick, have ever inherited a squad of such low morale, utterly broken or so it appears from the sidelines. I don't think this situation can be compared with anything that's gone before at ITFC. It feels like a tipping point was passed some time ago, and no manager in history could have rescued this situation, so until the club is (hopefully) rebuilt over the summer, there's absolutely no value in any comparisons between managers or their approaches. The situation is just sh*t, but hopefully the only way is up.

Mick inherited a squad which had won one, drawn three and lost eight of it’s opening twelve matches, in addition to winning only one of the last six games of the previous season. Cook came in after we had lost only one match in eight, having won three of our last four matches. Which squad do you think would have been more demoralised and broken at point of takeover?

The hideous thing, and I say this as someone who agreed it was Lambert’s time to go, is the season didn’t need rescuing. Plodding on at the level we were would have given us a better shot at the top six than what followed.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 00:02 - Apr 21 with 1815 viewsNthQldITFC

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 23:54 - Apr 20 by pointofblue

Mick inherited a squad which had won one, drawn three and lost eight of it’s opening twelve matches, in addition to winning only one of the last six games of the previous season. Cook came in after we had lost only one match in eight, having won three of our last four matches. Which squad do you think would have been more demoralised and broken at point of takeover?

The hideous thing, and I say this as someone who agreed it was Lambert’s time to go, is the season didn’t need rescuing. Plodding on at the level we were would have given us a better shot at the top six than what followed.

This one, for me. By a mile. But that's just my opinion from the outside.

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 00:06 - Apr 21 with 1807 viewspointofblue

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 00:02 - Apr 21 by NthQldITFC

This one, for me. By a mile. But that's just my opinion from the outside.

Even though our current squad had been on a winning run whilst the squad Mick had taken on had been performing disastrously, including being rolled over 3-0 by Sheffield Wednesday (which, in truth, could have been a cricket score)?
[Post edited 21 Apr 2021 0:08]

Even if as a manager you're only keeping... on 05:42 - Apr 21 with 1726 viewsKeaneish

Even if as a manager you're only keeping... on 21:17 - Apr 20 by unstableblue

Downes, Dobra, Wolf, Dozzell and some other in contract players....

To create the poisonous atmosphere with that group that will fester through the summer, and to not try and nurse what is a weak team to at least finish the season well.

It just seems ill judged.

Yes the team is sh!t, yes it has a disease of underperformance and insular play embedded under EVERY marcus manager

I want Cook to stay and succeed.... his persona and attitude seems off the mark currently

a good manager can get the best out of the sum of its parts... and this team are better than who we are playing against

The parts are broken and don’t fit together though, that’s the heart of the problem.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 06:33 - Apr 21 with 1690 viewsjonbull88

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 21:46 - Apr 20 by itfcjoe

It's childlike and does him no favours - some of these players will be here next year and he'll have to regain some of their respect to be a success here.

Lack of class being shown

I generally believe we will see as many as 18 new players in the squad next season. Most of these players gave up the ghost a long long time ago. I personally will be very disappointed if any who started tonight are starters next season.
I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 07:31 - Apr 21 with 1630 viewsFarmerpiles

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 22:19 - Apr 20 by itfcjoe

Mick McCarthy would stand out and shake every players hadn at the end of each game - win lose, or draw - it's just showing a consistent level of respect and behaviour. Not difficult

Not after a particularly cr@p performance he wouldnt. He'd walk onto pitch , shake hands with the ref and walk straight off fuming.
I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 07:50 - Apr 21 with 1607 viewsNthQldITFC

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 00:06 - Apr 21 by pointofblue

Even though our current squad had been on a winning run whilst the squad Mick had taken on had been performing disastrously, including being rolled over 3-0 by Sheffield Wednesday (which, in truth, could have been a cricket score)?
[Post edited 21 Apr 2021 0:08]

A unconvincing three game winning run in the third division in the context of two years of Ipswich Town failing to genuinely compete in the third division, after several years of dull decline in the second division, with an unfit, injured squad of players on the back of two uncommunicative useless managers, with a fanbase continuously throwing largely justified criticism at them.

That squad, in my opinion, was/is in a far worse state of deep-rooted and contagious despondency than the squad MM inherited which, while it had been doing badly for some time, still had players of ability and character like Chambers, Cresswell, Murphy and Tommy Smith.

Nothing about Cook can be judged until he's had a chance to do some major surgery on the squad.

Login to get fewer ads

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 08:07 - Apr 21 with 1595 viewsitfcpaul

FGS isn't he just dong what we are doing, what's wrong with that

Players can't pass to each other, they shouldn't need training and coaching in that, they cant defend corners, we have a goalkeeper who can't catch in his 6 yard box but wants to be playing football on the half way line or side line FFS, the players are useless

I really don't see what it has to be a mangers fault because he has inherited a team of failing useless players, their inability to pass a ball in a straight line should be the least they can do

Poll: Who would you want as Ipswich manager in November. there aren't many candidates

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 08:28 - Apr 21 with 1563 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 08:41 - Apr 21 with 1548 viewspointofblue

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 08:28 - Apr 21 by BryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

That’s fine but I don’t understand why Cook is getting a mountain of credit for doing... nothing.

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 09:04 - Apr 21 with 1527 viewsyorkshireblue

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 21:46 - Apr 20 by itfcjoe

It's childlike and does him no favours - some of these players will be here next year and he'll have to regain some of their respect to be a success here.

Lack of class being shown

Congratulating opposition players after a victory is a lack of class?
I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 09:05 - Apr 21 with 1524 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 23:48 - Apr 20 by NthQldITFC

That’s just nonsense though isn’t it?

The squad McCarthy inherited were bottom of the table, had 1 win in 13 games, 7 points and GD of minus 16. We had lost 4 in a row, the last of which was 3-0 at home

Similarly, Lambert inherited a squad bottom of the table, 1 win in 15, 9 points and a GD of minus 14, on a run of 3 defeats in a row the last of which was 3-0 at Millwall

By contrast when Cook came in we were 9th, had won approx half our games, had a positive GD and were unbeaten in 5 including winning the previous 3. Broken indeed

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 09:07 - Apr 21 with 1521 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 22:44 - Apr 20 by chrismakin

because he brought a load of players in? just a hunch

That’s a complete myth though. The only player that McCarthy brought in prior to January that featured regularly was Bradley Orr. Even by the time he signed we had won 2 of 3 and then up to January we had a record of P12, W7, D2, L3

We got better under McCarthy because he was an excellent manager, got the basics installed and upped morale quickly and frankly worked miracles with a squad which was an utter shambles beforehand. Not because he got the chequebook out and brought in a new squad of players

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 09:14 - Apr 21 with 1505 viewsNthQldITFC

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 09:05 - Apr 21 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

The squad McCarthy inherited were bottom of the table, had 1 win in 13 games, 7 points and GD of minus 16. We had lost 4 in a row, the last of which was 3-0 at home

Similarly, Lambert inherited a squad bottom of the table, 1 win in 15, 9 points and a GD of minus 14, on a run of 3 defeats in a row the last of which was 3-0 at Millwall

By contrast when Cook came in we were 9th, had won approx half our games, had a positive GD and were unbeaten in 5 including winning the previous 3. Broken indeed

I hear what you are saying in terms of results and league position, but I'm talking more about the long-term, entrenched morale of the squad. However, I am only basing it on what I have seen of them, which is not that much, so I fully admit that I may be talking out of my hat/arse, and maybe ought to shut up!

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 09:21 - Apr 21 with 1494 viewsmrfixit426

This is one of the reasons I was never convinced by him. I posted that on the day he was appointed and got multiple downvotes. His behaviour when manager of Wigan vs Man City in the All or Nothing docu on Amazon told me everything I need to know about the character of the man. The mask slipped. Hey ho.
Even if as a manager you're only keeping... on 09:23 - Apr 21 with 1482 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Even if as a manager you're only keeping... on 21:17 - Apr 20 by unstableblue

Downes, Dobra, Wolf, Dozzell and some other in contract players....

To create the poisonous atmosphere with that group that will fester through the summer, and to not try and nurse what is a weak team to at least finish the season well.

It just seems ill judged.

Yes the team is sh!t, yes it has a disease of underperformance and insular play embedded under EVERY marcus manager

I want Cook to stay and succeed.... his persona and attitude seems off the mark currently

a good manager can get the best out of the sum of its parts... and this team are better than who we are playing against

Yes,

Lambert saying they were playing brilliantly worked well too didn't it?

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 10:05 - Apr 21 with 1456 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 09:05 - Apr 21 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

If Lambert had stayed, those 3 wins you (and most of us) would be saying are just papering over the cracks.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 10:09 - Apr 21 with 1451 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 10:05 - Apr 21 by The_Flashing_Smile

If Lambert had stayed, those 3 wins you (and most of us) would be saying are just papering over the cracks.

They were papering over cracks, but regardless the idea that a squad in the top half of the table was a worse situation to inherit than the ones bottom of the table with barely a win to their name is clearly ludicrous

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 10:13 - Apr 21 with 1444 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 10:09 - Apr 21 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

They were papering over cracks, but regardless the idea that a squad in the top half of the table was a worse situation to inherit than the ones bottom of the table with barely a win to their name is clearly ludicrous

Yeah I'd agree to an extent, although the situations aren't really comparable for a number of reasons (different divisions, different positions in the season, the longevity of the rot etc.)

I agree with others saying whoever we'd got in would've struggled with this hapless bunch.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

I am keen to back Cook, and I like much of what he says - tonight's child-like.. on 10:30 - Apr 21 with 1414 viewscharlie_blue

The atmosphere around the club has become poisonous. The players are aware of the animosity towards them, they know they will be looking for jobs, possibly outside football, which is all they have known. Of course they are under pressure, just like anyone else who is in danger of losing their job.

They were still in contention for a play off place 12 matches ago, wonder whats happened since then?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024