Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Players released 15:04 - Apr 21 with 45122 viewsgreyhound

Hearing rumours that the next stage of the clear out is awaiting announcement.

Jack lankaster among those names that I've been given as well as a large portion of under 23s

With all of the noise about improving academy when the takeover happened this seems surprising, I wonder if that u23 contingent includes more players that are in or around the first team than anything else.

I know we're seriously lacking quality but I hope in this clear out we don't make some hasty regrettable decisions on some of the younger talent we may have.

These are horrible horrible times as a town fan, where those you pinned your hopes on are falling so far short
Players released on 14:12 - Apr 22 with 3837 viewsKeno

Players released on 14:03 - Apr 22 by itfcjoe

I didn't expect Cook to get us up, but I certainly thought from where we were we would get in the play offs - that would have given him a njce foundation for next season with the clear out that was bound to happen due to contract situation in place.

Surely no-one expected 11 points from 12 games, against a load of bottom sides that we generally have fared well against since relegation? Just 6 goals in 12 games? And for the performances to be as bad as anything we've seen since relegation?

Lambert improved us from Hurst in his early months, but we simply lacked the quality required for the league above once we had got rid of so many key players. Cook has made us worse than what we all assumed was rock bottom......it's incredibly frustrating and heaps a lot of unnecessary pressure on himself for next season both from the fans and the owners, there will be very little margin for error.

If now we could pick up 9-10 points from our final 4 it would be great, POs are out of reach we'd alla ccept, but think it would help him as well as the fan base - if we continue to play as poorly until the end of the season then it's really not good for anyone involved

I know there you are coming from but I think there are two factors perhaps none of really took into account

Firstly mentally this group of players just dont seem to 'there'. It that hard to define aspects of getting a group of players too play above their collective level. Hurst, then Lambert failed to make that happen and it feels like that by keeping Lambert here as long as did Evans let the team go past a point of no return

Also once the change was made it was probably obvious to many in such a large squad that they would be leaving at the end of the season, so why bother (made worse by the take over)

Ive said elsewhere I dont think what's happened it cooks fault, if only he'd been here before Christmas
[Post edited 22 Apr 2021 14:22]

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Players released on 14:13 - Apr 22 with 3824 viewsitfcjoe

Players released on 14:07 - Apr 22 by hype313

Just can't see where the goals are going to come from Joe, regardless of formations.

We can't score against the worst teams in the league, it's been a massive Achilles heel for us, and I'd love us to get maximum points for the remainder of the season for a bit of feel good factor if nothing else.

I think getting in the play offs now, as unlikely as it is, would probaby be a bad thing because it takes everyone important's eye off the ball for an extra couple of weeks whilst we inevitably get knocked out - but would be nice to end the season on a bit of high....

We played ok on Tuesday, taking aside terrible set piece defending with regards to trying to do right things but lacked quality in final ball.....but can't remember last time we touched the ball that many times in opposition box......just need a bit of luck, and one of Toto or Chambers alongside Woolfie to try and strengthen things at the back.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Players released on 14:13 - Apr 22 with 3818 viewsportmanking

I didn't expect Cook to get us up, but I certainly thought from where we were we would get in the play offs - that would have given him a njce foundation for next season with the clear out that was bound to happen due to contract situation in place.

Surely no-one expected 11 points from 12 games, against a load of bottom sides that we generally have fared well against since relegation? Just 6 goals in 12 games? And for the performances to be as bad as anything we've seen since relegation?

Lambert improved us from Hurst in his early months, but we simply lacked the quality required for the league above once we had got rid of so many key players. Cook has made us worse than what we all assumed was rock bottom......it's incredibly frustrating and heaps a lot of unnecessary pressure on himself for next season both from the fans and the owners, there will be very little margin for error.

If now we could pick up 9-10 points from our final 4 it would be great, POs are out of reach we'd alla ccept, but think it would help him as well as the fan base - if we continue to play as poorly until the end of the season then it's really not good for anyone involved

We've always been 'in with a shout' of the playoffs, but that's been the case for the last 2 seasons and on neither occasions fans could say they were certain of the squad performing. That's a player issue, not the manager. (Although previous managers are to blame for the squad's glaring imbalances).

It's clearly been communicated early in-house that many of this squad are on borrowed time. This rotten squad against squads busting a gut for survival was always going to be found wanting.

I'm afraid it's only people like you who are talking up this 'unnecessary pressure'. He will already be wholly aware that there's little margin for error next season, given the investment and recruitment available. Let's just accept that this season was never meant to be. I thought you of all people would have the foresight to recognise that playing poorly between now and the end of the season would be an indictment on the outgoing players more so than a manager bursting at the seams to bring in fresh blood and bring success to the club. Short term pain for long term gain.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2021 14:16]
Players released on 14:16 - Apr 22 with 3801 viewsitfcjoe

Players released on 14:09 - Apr 22 by chrismakin

They say you dont become a bad manager overnight. PC also wasnt out of the game long.

So why is there still a vast refusal to see blame in the playing squad for how this season has ended despite even people like yourself wanting a clean out of these players.

PC isnt a Lambert appointment who's failed for years. Hes been highly successful at this level and comes into the role following these successful periods.

It's just amazing how PCs methods are being questioned rather than looking at the fact that for various reasons the players are not performing. It could be fitness which has been highly spoke about which you dont agree with however. These players are being told they wont be kept on. Their friends are losing their jobs. Family members have died. Colleagues have admitted mental health issues.

All of the above is way more 'likely' to be effecting the results over the apparent lack of man management from quite frankly the most successful league 1 manager in recent times.

It's not a refusal to blame the players, they look totally mentally shot - but all I read on here about them as how they are gutless, how they are not fit to wear shirt, how they are letting their families down, how they all need to go etc......from the same people that want to give Cook a free ride for turning us from a bang average team to the worst team in the league over a few weeks.

The same people moaning at me for blaming Cook (and claiming I am doing so entirely) are refusing to apportion any blame to Cook who as a manager has made the team demonstrably worse than Lambert did in every metric going, when 90%+ of the fan base thought Lambert was doing a terrible job and should go.

Players released on 14:17 - Apr 22 with 3793 viewschrismakin

Players released on 14:13 - Apr 22 by itfcjoe

I think getting in the play offs now, as unlikely as it is, would probaby be a bad thing because it takes everyone important's eye off the ball for an extra couple of weeks whilst we inevitably get knocked out - but would be nice to end the season on a bit of high....

We played ok on Tuesday, taking aside terrible set piece defending with regards to trying to do right things but lacked quality in final ball.....but can't remember last time we touched the ball that many times in opposition box......just need a bit of luck, and one of Toto or Chambers alongside Woolfie to try and strengthen things at the back.

Saturday and tuesday was going back to what PC tried to bring in when he first came in. 4 2 3 1. Play the way he wants us to play. On the front foot. Control the possession get the ball in their half and into the box.

So when people say they cant see any changes. They are there. What he cant change is the quality. Because we just don't have it

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Players released on 14:18 - Apr 22 with 3786 viewsportmanking

Players released on 14:16 - Apr 22 by itfcjoe

It's not a refusal to blame the players, they look totally mentally shot - but all I read on here about them as how they are gutless, how they are not fit to wear shirt, how they are letting their families down, how they all need to go etc......from the same people that want to give Cook a free ride for turning us from a bang average team to the worst team in the league over a few weeks.

The same people moaning at me for blaming Cook (and claiming I am doing so entirely) are refusing to apportion any blame to Cook who as a manager has made the team demonstrably worse than Lambert did in every metric going, when 90%+ of the fan base thought Lambert was doing a terrible job and should go.

Surely you can see that the game has changed in every possible sense for ITFC right now? The takeover and fresh investment has given Cook a unique opportunity to rebuild like we've never seen before. It's a squad cull we desperately needed 24 months ago but couldn't achieve in our wildest dreams. Who better to put our weight behind than one of the most successful EFL managers in the last decade?
Players released on 14:21 - Apr 22 with 3763 viewsitfcjoe

Players released on 14:13 - Apr 22 by portmanking

We've always been 'in with a shout' of the playoffs, but that's been the case for the last 2 seasons and on neither occasions fans could say they were certain of the squad performing. That's a player issue, not the manager. (Although previous managers are to blame for the squad's glaring imbalances).

It's clearly been communicated early in-house that many of this squad are on borrowed time. This rotten squad against squads busting a gut for survival was always going to be found wanting.

I'm afraid it's only people like you who are talking up this 'unnecessary pressure'. He will already be wholly aware that there's little margin for error next season, given the investment and recruitment available. Let's just accept that this season was never meant to be. I thought you of all people would have the foresight to recognise that playing poorly between now and the end of the season would be an indictment on the outgoing players more so than a manager bursting at the seams to bring in fresh blood and bring success to the club. Short term pain for long term gain.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2021 14:16]

Cook, or AN Other, should have been in place before the January window (at the very latest), and should have been given a chance to bring his own guys in - that he wasn't is criminal negligence from Evans and is the reason we are where we are in all reality.

I just can't believe how much worse things have got, when we were all so excited to see what Cook could do, especially off the back of a couple of decent performances.

The squad is going to be blown up in the summer, but to be honest I think that was always going to be the case regardless of how the last few weeks went - it just saddens me to see how far we have sunk, and that from what i thought was rock bottom we are going lower and lower.

Next season is so big, and I have lost a fair bit of confidence for it in the last few weeks - I'm sure I';m not the only one

Players released on 14:23 - Apr 22 with 3742 viewslongtimefan

Players released on 14:12 - Apr 22 by Keno

I know there you are coming from but I think there are two factors perhaps none of really took into account

Firstly mentally this group of players just dont seem to 'there'. It that hard to define aspects of getting a group of players too play above their collective level. Hurst, then Lambert failed to make that happen and it feels like that by keeping Lambert here as long as did Evans let the team go past a point of no return

Also once the change was made it was probably obvious to many in such a large squad that they would be leaving at the end of the season, so why bother (made worse by the take over)

Ive said elsewhere I dont think what's happened it cooks fault, if only he'd been here before Christmas
[Post edited 22 Apr 2021 14:22]

I’m really not sure the takeover has changed the contract situation to the degree many think. Most of this season the expectation was that the salary cap would still be in operation next year. If it were, then almost all the players whose contracts were up would have been free agents anyway, as we would not have been able to renew at their existing salaries. I suspect many would have fancied taking a signing on bonus and getting paid similar amounts to what their new contracts would have been here. I’m not saying the takeover hasn’t made the numbers likely to go higher (and there’s now the prospect of releasing players whose contracts weren’t up) but I do suspect there would have been a pretty high turnover anyway. At least with the salary cap and the new owners we should be able to attract a set of higher quality replacements.
Login to get fewer ads

Players released on 14:24 - Apr 22 with 3731 viewschrismakin

Players released on 14:16 - Apr 22 by itfcjoe

But theres alot more going on at the club than there was since Lambert was here

Takeover. Contracts. Christ we found out yesturday a player like Lancaster could be on his way. That's a move weve never seen at town.
Norwoods been on self destruct mode for months and hes the only one who appears to be able to score. Or wilson whose been injured.

I'm all for laying blame on a manager who has a simple task of managing a side. There is nothing simple about managing this group of players at this point in this season with all that is happening at ITFC.

And why do I get so passionate about it. Because the more negative posts that get made. The more noise is made and we dont know the owners and their patience levels.

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

Players released on 14:25 - Apr 22 with 3723 viewsportmanking

Players released on 14:21 - Apr 22 by itfcjoe

Cook, or AN Other, should have been in place before the January window (at the very latest), and should have been given a chance to bring his own guys in - that he wasn't is criminal negligence from Evans and is the reason we are where we are in all reality.

I just can't believe how much worse things have got, when we were all so excited to see what Cook could do, especially off the back of a couple of decent performances.

The squad is going to be blown up in the summer, but to be honest I think that was always going to be the case regardless of how the last few weeks went - it just saddens me to see how far we have sunk, and that from what i thought was rock bottom we are going lower and lower.

Next season is so big, and I have lost a fair bit of confidence for it in the last few weeks - I'm sure I';m not the only one

You've hit the nail on the head.

There's the person to direct your frustrations - Mr Evans. Appointing a manager at an awkward time of the season when tough decisions have had to be made on the next season (especially post-takeover). Had Cook been installed in Nov/Dec and we're in this position, I'd have no qualms about your displeasure. I just think it's far too early to wet the bed on his tenure.

Once those new faces start rolling through the Portman Road reception in the close season your excitement will return, I have no doubt.
Players released on 14:29 - Apr 22 with 3688 viewsbobbyramsey

When exactly can we expect to see this next tranche of "players" shown the door/announced?
[Post edited 22 Apr 2021 14:32]
Players released on 14:41 - Apr 22 with 3639 viewsN2_Blue

Players released on 14:21 - Apr 22 by itfcjoe

If its getting to you that much...and maybe take a break from these last few games and come back full of optimism for the new season and 100% behind Cook whatever happens in the next 4 games.

Win each one 3-0 or lose each 3-0 is going to make no difference to how I look at the summer and the new season...they are meaningless games now and if players suddenly play well it may be because pressure has gone and therefore they are no use to us if they can't handle pressure rather than because they understand what Cook now wants of them. Sorry too late for me.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Players released on 15:04 - Apr 22 with 3546 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Players released on 14:41 - Apr 22 by N2_Blue

If its getting to you that much...and maybe take a break from these last few games and come back full of optimism for the new season and 100% behind Cook whatever happens in the next 4 games.

Win each one 3-0 or lose each 3-0 is going to make no difference to how I look at the summer and the new season...they are meaningless games now and if players suddenly play well it may be because pressure has gone and therefore they are no use to us if they can't handle pressure rather than because they understand what Cook now wants of them. Sorry too late for me.

Agreed. I’m done with this season.

Couldn't care less what happens for the last 4 games. Get the new players in and then we really get going next season.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Players released on 15:06 - Apr 22 with 3533 viewschrismakin

Players released on 15:04 - Apr 22 by TRUE_BLUE123

Agreed. I’m done with this season.

Couldn't care less what happens for the last 4 games. Get the new players in and then we really get going next season.

I was done with it weeks ago and was slated for writing it off.. but I just couldn't see us finishing in them and solely put my thoughts on the summer and seeing if any of the current lot could actually play the way Cook wants in a 4 2 3 1. So far my list has gone down to just 2 players I'd keep. Downes and KVY. But even downes needs to step up and play for 90 minutes not 10.

Players released on 15:11 - Apr 22 with 3508 viewsKieran_Knows

Players released on 14:41 - Apr 22 by N2_Blue

That's all well and good, as long as Cook gets it right this summer. I've said countless times, he's making a rod for his own back, and what with the added pressure of the new owners, who are likely to invest big money, he's leaving himself with little 'leeway' from the supporters. If he starts next season badly with an expensively built squad, that goodwill will be gone.

I do agree with what Cook is saying, and from what I hear about this group of players, he's absolutely right. But the fact is we have got worse under him, and that's not a good sign (regardless of how bad the players are).

A few weeks ago I was buzzing at the thought of this summer, but at the moment I'd say I'm more cautiously optimistic. This blind faith that everything is going to be okay (like the relegation season - of which I was guilty for), may come back to bite them in the ar*e again.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2021 15:22]

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Players released on 15:13 - Apr 22 with 3482 viewsportmanking

Players released on 15:11 - Apr 22 by Kieran_Knows

That's all well and good, as long as Cook gets it right this summer. I've said countless times, he's making a rod for his own back, and what with the added pressure of the new owners, who are likely to invest big money, he's leaving himself with little 'leeway' from the supporters. If he starts next season badly with an expensively built squad, that goodwill will be gone.

I do agree with what Cook is saying, and from what I hear about this group of players, he's absolutely right. But the fact is we have got worse under him, and that's not a good sign (regardless of how bad the players are).

A few weeks ago I was buzzing at the thought of this summer, but at the moment I'd say I'm more cautiously optimistic. This blind faith that everything is going to be okay (like the relegation season - of which I was guilty for), may come back to bite them in the ar*e again.

As per your second paragraph - how on earth would you expect us to go forward if, what you hear about this group of players, is correct?
Players released on 15:14 - Apr 22 with 3475 viewsKieran_Knows

Players released on 15:13 - Apr 22 by portmanking

As per your second paragraph - how on earth would you expect us to go forward if, what you hear about this group of players, is correct?

I'm not saying they should be kept, but this thought that 15 players will come in (which it will be close to that amount) and gel, and play like a title winning side from day dot, will be a tricky one.

Players released on 15:16 - Apr 22 with 3468 viewschrismakin

Difference to make you feel better

When we got relegated the last bit of success Lambert had at getting a side up from league one was many many years ago. Hed also had 1 transfer window whilst getting us relegated.

PC hasnt had any opportunity to make any changes t th4 squad has had very recent successes at this level and has experience in making wholesale squad changes.

Relax. Itll be a very exciting summer and a very exciting season. We will lose game no doubt but we certainly wont be seeing 0 goals from town.

Players released on 15:17 - Apr 22 with 3461 viewsportmanking

Players released on 15:14 - Apr 22 by Kieran_Knows

I'm not saying they should be kept, but this thought that 15 players will come in (which it will be close to that amount) and gel, and play like a title winning side from day dot, will be a tricky one.

But you're saying he's 'adding pressure' and 'making a rod for his own back' because he can't get results with a group of players you've said yourself don't cut it on and off the pitch. He's not Harry Houdini is he?! Give the guy a clean slate this summer and see what he can do.
Players released on 15:17 - Apr 22 with 3463 viewsITFC_96

Paul Lambert truly destroyed this club. It's even got us to the point where our youngsters (a lot of which have attracted interest from the premier league) are being thrown under the bus when they've barely played. The clear out should be for the older underperformers who are on massive wages and have been here for years. I am certain that at least half of the youngsters released are likely to go on to play for clubs above us in the league structure.
Players released on 15:19 - Apr 22 with 3428 viewsParky

I’m not sure we’re that much worse under Cook than people are making out. Before them 3 wins that Gill was actually in the driving seat for, we were just as hopeless as we are now and knew we had no chance of play-off’s.

I’m not saying you in particular, but I definitely think those 3 wins gave people a lot of false hope.

All that said, as I said above I do think we all expected the results under Cook to be better; but it’s not exactly like we’ve gone from Real Madrid to League One Ipswich under Cook.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2021 15:31]
Players released on 15:23 - Apr 22 with 3387 viewsKieran_Knows

Players released on 15:17 - Apr 22 by portmanking

But you're saying he's 'adding pressure' and 'making a rod for his own back' because he can't get results with a group of players you've said yourself don't cut it on and off the pitch. He's not Harry Houdini is he?! Give the guy a clean slate this summer and see what he can do.

I think a bit like Joe, I'm only really trying to point out this whole 'blind faith' thing again and that everything is going to be okay once we've cleared out 20+ players and buying in 15 (which doesn't always work).

I'm all for it, and I really want him to do well. Lets see.

Players released on 15:24 - Apr 22 with 3381 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

"heaps a lot of unnecessary pressure on himself"

He's not deliberately had a bad start Joe! What is he doing wrong exactly that 'heaps unnecessary pressure on'? It's not like he's putting out weird formations or asking players to do anything out of the ordinary.

We've been going downhill for many years. That won't be fixed overnight by anyone, even new owners with money to throw at the problem.

Cook needs time. I expected better of you to be honest, because you're usually a bit more measured with footballing matters.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Players released on 15:27 - Apr 22 with 3360 viewschrismakin

Players released on 15:24 - Apr 22 by The_Flashing_Smile

"heaps a lot of unnecessary pressure on himself"

He's not deliberately had a bad start Joe! What is he doing wrong exactly that 'heaps unnecessary pressure on'? It's not like he's putting out weird formations or asking players to do anything out of the ordinary.

We've been going downhill for many years. That won't be fixed overnight by anyone, even new owners with money to throw at the problem.

Cook needs time. I expected better of you to be honest, because you're usually a bit more measured with footballing matters.

The thing that gets me is usually as fans we can see a formation or selection that doesnt look good.

I dont see anything PC could do that would actually make a difference.

Hes tried to 2 uptop with no real success
The player selection doesnt exactly provide him with alot of quality alternatives to choose from.

Players released on 15:29 - Apr 22 with 3351 viewschrismakin

Players released on 15:23 - Apr 22 by Kieran_Knows

I think a bit like Joe, I'm only really trying to point out this whole 'blind faith' thing again and that everything is going to be okay once we've cleared out 20+ players and buying in 15 (which doesn't always work).

I'm all for it, and I really want him to do well. Lets see.

We arent alone tho

Pompy fans want a clear out
Cardiff fans want a clear out
Derby fans want a clear out

Gonna be a lot of players moving clubs this summer

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024