Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Surely there is no way Col U can afford the wages of those 3 12:14 - May 5 with 2598 viewskizaitfc

Been well documented the financial issues Col U have had this season, I would suspect the 3 players suggested to be moving there are on high wages from a L1 point of view.

Let alone what a club finishing 20th in L2 can afford!

Poll: Mick in or out? (not a dig at Mick just want to see the overall opinion on here)

Surely there is no way Col U can afford the wages of those 3 on 12:17 - May 5 with 2575 viewshype313

Lets be honest, they are all out of contract on the wrong side of 30 in a post Covid world, hardly think they will be asking astronomical salaries, especially as they won't have to up root.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Surely there is no way Col U can afford the wages of those 3 on 12:26 - May 5 with 2534 viewsParsley

They're out of contract so it will depend on whether they can get a better offer elsewhere rather than what they are currently paid
Surely there is no way Col U can afford the wages of those 3 on 12:27 - May 5 with 2531 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Don't see why not.

In a few months their wage is zero, they are all settled locally and of an age where finances are probably not their main factor in making a decision.

Let's face it, the competition to sign them are not going to be offering bumper wages either.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Surely there is no way Col U can afford the wages of those 3 on 12:35 - May 5 with 2465 viewskizaitfc

Surely there is no way Col U can afford the wages of those 3 on 12:27 - May 5 by Marshalls_Mullet

Don't see why not.

In a few months their wage is zero, they are all settled locally and of an age where finances are probably not their main factor in making a decision.

Let's face it, the competition to sign them are not going to be offering bumper wages either.

This of course makes total sense £0 wages vs whatever Col U offer.

I just think the 3 will demand a higher wage than Col U can afford, I think many would be shocked to see the wages these 3 are currently on as Is suspect they are 3 of the higher earners at the club.

The players have expenses set based on their current earnings so wont want to drop too low. I can see them bleeding Col U dry and ultimately finding they have three players well past their prime and not worth the cost. Only time will tell

Poll: Mick in or out? (not a dig at Mick just want to see the overall opinion on here)

Surely there is no way Col U can afford the wages of those 3 on 12:38 - May 5 with 2459 viewsGarv

I don't see Chambers going there at all. Sears definitely, although I reckon he might have the odd League One offer. Skuse in a similar boat.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Surely there is no way Col U can afford the wages of those 3 on 12:48 - May 5 with 2391 viewshype313

Surely there is no way Col U can afford the wages of those 3 on 12:35 - May 5 by kizaitfc

I just think the 3 will demand a higher wage than Col U can afford, I think many would be shocked to see the wages these 3 are currently on as Is suspect they are 3 of the higher earners at the club.

The players have expenses set based on their current earnings so wont want to drop too low. I can see them bleeding Col U dry and ultimately finding they have three players well past their prime and not worth the cost. Only time will tell

You have to take into account the locality factor, Rotherham might offer more but if they are settled here, happy, kids in school and potential opportunities with us in the future, then it makes total sense to take a lower salary for all the benefits it will bring.

If they were all in their late 20's then you would expect them to try and maximise, but they probably just want another season of football in full stadiums before they call it a day.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Surely there is no way Col U can afford the wages of those 3 on 13:13 - May 5 with 2268 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Surely there is no way Col U can afford the wages of those 3 on 12:35 - May 5 by kizaitfc

They know their wages are not sustainable, and as senior professionals on the verge of retirement they will be aware of what they can command in a Covid world in the lower leagues.

They will have better financial planning than simply hoping they earn a hefty footballers salary for the rest of their lives.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Surely there is no way Col U can afford the wages of those 3 on 13:21 - May 5 with 2214 viewsjayessess

More "should they" rather than "could they". Certainly not beyond the realm of possibility that the best offer they'll get is from Colchester. But recruiting a job lot of veterans from a side who've struggled of late is hardly inspiring, progressive stuff on their part, is it?

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Login to get fewer ads

Surely there is no way Col U can afford the wages of those 3 on 13:26 - May 5 with 2176 viewsWD19

I am not sure that anyone would be 'shocked' at what they are on. All signed contracts when we were firmly established in the Championship.

I think the only potential 'shock' would be how relatively little they earn compared to some who have given.....and continue to give.....far less.
Surely there is no way Col U can afford the wages of those 3 on 13:26 - May 5 with 2184 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Surely there is no way Col U can afford the wages of those 3 on 12:38 - May 5 by Garv

I don't see Chambers going there at all. Sears definitely, although I reckon he might have the odd League One offer. Skuse in a similar boat.

Can absolutely see it if he wants another year of playing, he doesn't need money (or shouldn't do perhaps) its local, if the family is settled and kids happy in school etc then it makes a lot of sense for him. Play, work on is badges home with the wife and kids at the end of each day

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Surely there is no way Col U can afford the wages of those 3 on 13:30 - May 5 with 2157 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Surely there is no way Col U can afford the wages of those 3 on 13:26 - May 5 by BlueandTruesince82

Can absolutely see it if he wants another year of playing, he doesn't need money (or shouldn't do perhaps) its local, if the family is settled and kids happy in school etc then it makes a lot of sense for him. Play, work on is badges home with the wife and kids at the end of each day

Also... decent likelihood that the manager will come under pressure / get sacked in 12-18 months... ready for a Chambers / Skuse partnership to step in.

Surely there is no way Col U can afford the wages of those 3 on 13:36 - May 5 with 2119 viewsGarv

Surely there is no way Col U can afford the wages of those 3 on 13:30 - May 5 by Marshalls_Mullet

Also... decent likelihood that the manager will come under pressure / get sacked in 12-18 months... ready for a Chambers / Skuse partnership to step in.

Is all the stuff about Chambers and Skuse managing in the next couple of years not a bit premature?

Dyer, for example, has some good coaching experience and yet hasn't come close to managing yet, as far as we're aware.

Surely there is no way Col U can afford the wages of those 3 on 13:41 - May 5 with 2096 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Surely there is no way Col U can afford the wages of those 3 on 13:36 - May 5 by Garv

Is all the stuff about Chambers and Skuse managing in the next couple of years not a bit premature?

Dyer, for example, has some good coaching experience and yet hasn't come close to managing yet, as far as we're aware.

Just a bit of a throw away comment. No need to over analyse it.

But at 35 / 36 it's not ridiculous to think they may have lower league management ambitions.

Surely there is no way Col U can afford the wages of those 3 on 13:58 - May 5 with 2043 viewsfranz_tyson

Chambers could pick up a few extra quid by renting out rooms to Town youngsters at his house and still play for Col U. And it would mean he’d still have connections to the club . Seems very settled in Ipswich.

Doesn’t look like he’ll get a playing offer here, so could be the best offer available if he wants an extra year or two playing.
I think it could be good for him to take a break from the club when there’s so much change going to happen.
I wonder if Col U fans would want our elder statesmen coming there?
Surely there is no way Col U can afford the wages of those 3 on 14:11 - May 5 with 2005 viewsitfcjoe

I think these 3 have been sensible with their financial planning over careers, so don't need one last payday - will just want to earn a decent wage to continue playing if possible.

There is going to be very little money in lower leagues next year, and realisitcally these players will be going for bottom end L1 or L2 clubs.......so much of a muchness between financial packages on offer - none will relocate away from families for an extra £300 a week

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Surely there is no way Col U can afford the wages of those 3 on 14:51 - May 5 with 1902 viewsGarv

Surely there is no way Col U can afford the wages of those 3 on 13:41 - May 5 by Marshalls_Mullet

Just a bit of a throw away comment. No need to over analyse it.

But at 35 / 36 it's not ridiculous to think they may have lower league management ambitions.

That's fair. You see it quite a lot though, even with suggestions that Chambers might have taken over from Lambert when he went.

I can see Chambers playing another couple of years at least.

Surely there is no way Col U can afford the wages of those 3 on 16:52 - May 5 with 1777 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Surely there is no way Col U can afford the wages of those 3 on 21:43 - May 5 with 1579 viewsArnieM

It’s not rocket science really is it . Chambers , Skuse & Sears must be prepared to take a pay cut , of join the soon to be , very very lengthy unemployed pro footballers ,
(not all by any means “ past it “)!

This summer is going to be a massive wake up call for a lot of footballers .

Welcome, almost, to the real world!

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Surely there is no way Col U can afford the wages of those 3 on 00:52 - May 6 with 1440 viewsOwainG1992

Surely there is no way Col U can afford the wages of those 3 on 21:43 - May 5 by ArnieM

It’s not rocket science really is it . Chambers , Skuse & Sears must be prepared to take a pay cut , of join the soon to be , very very lengthy unemployed pro footballers ,
(not all by any means “ past it “)!

This summer is going to be a massive wake up call for a lot of footballers .

Welcome, almost, to the real world!

I could see Skuse and Chambers going with a caveat that they begin some coaching there.
Sears could be the big earner they go for to Try give a promotion push.

Poll: Apologies I'm bored. How many signings will we have by Plymouth at home.

Surely there is no way Col U can afford the wages of those 3 on 07:28 - May 6 with 1269 viewsHARRY10

Surely there is no way Col U can afford the wages of those 3 on 00:52 - May 6 by OwainG1992

I could see Skuse and Chambers going with a caveat that they begin some coaching there.

I would suggest it will be the exact opposite. Col Utd will want players with the drive and determination to improve - not some has been with a proven record of failure with us.

As Arnie say elsewhere, there are going to be a huge numbers of players facing the harsh wake up call of realit,y hitting them full in the face.

Most good coaches were not necessarily good players before - just as with managers. Coaching is about how to ensure you can inspire and motivate the players you coach. Neither Chambers or Skuse have shown that over the past few seasons....quite the opposite.

I have taken and passed my advanced driving test, it doesn't mean I can compete in Formula 1 (or even 5). Much as a few years back there were adverts enticing people to become driving instructors with a huge earnings potential. Sadly the only ones who earned were those charging them for the courses.

Acquiring coaching badges does not equate to guaranteed work. Football has changed dramatically in that area. Gone are the days of the testimonial and using the proceeds to buy a pub/newsagent. The ex player qualification no longer holds sway. The budgies soon booted out their demigod, Huckleberry Hound and a few other lesser knowns who were not deemed up to it.

That is the one thing I welcome from Evans going. We will start to appoint the best people possible, irrespective of sentiment. And that begins at the top with the appointment of Scott Baron. The appointment of someone (Andy Rolls) to stop our treatment room looking like the local A&E on a Saturday night.

People whose remit will go beyond simply issuing some vague mission statement at the beginning of the season. A clear demarcation of duties and a defined set of targets to be aimed at if not achieved. I expect there will be a few more off field replacements brought in.

It will not be about us signing players who fans think 'can do a job for us' or look good. But identifying players who will progress (Adam Webster). Well rated players cost. Getting in the right players, so as to become well rated players will be our aim and method.

It won't happen over night but we need to lay down solid foundations to build upon - and that means appointing the right off field staff, irrespective of how good they once were as a player.

Thankfully that looks to be set in motion.
Surely there is no way Col U can afford the wages of those 3 on 10:59 - May 6 with 1163 viewsSharkey

Surely there is no way Col U can afford the wages of those 3 on 00:52 - May 6 by OwainG1992

Colchester have coaches coming out of their ears. They'd be more likely to ask them to help David Gregory put the program together or roll the pitch, as these areas are understaffed.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024